Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

On 2/28/2023 at 8:35 PM, CooterBrown said:

I have a hard time believing anyone has shaken QEII’s hand. That doesn’t seem to be something a royal would do. Especially with some random ass person that met them once.

You just need to tie her to a politician. I shook hands with my former governor and a current senator. Both shook hands with Trump, he shook hands with QE2/Phillip when they met. Both Liz and Phil shook with her dad and uncle, then Hitler. 

The average age of workers is rising because kids don’t think construction is cool.

At our exec meeting, we wondered why anyone wouldn’t want to make $90K per year working 40 hours per week, and get paid 1.5x or 2x depending on situation…

A hush fell over the room and then we all busted out laughing. There were plenty of us at the moment wishing we were swinging a hammer instead of being in management.

FWIW, I’ve averaged about 60 hours per week worked for the past 3 months. I went to bed at 3AM last night because I was trying to get a budget out the door. If I worked those hours as a plumber, I’d be making $200k per year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Kinda funny how your risk tolerance subtly changes with age and children. Browsed by videos on youtube of backyard/kit helicopters and I remembered how I used to be obsessed with flying them and now im like…nah, thanks, i dont wanna die

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

The average age of workers is rising because kids don’t think construction is cool.

At our exec meeting, we wondered why anyone wouldn’t want to make $90K per year working 40 hours per week, and get paid 1.5x or 2x depending on situation…

A hush fell over the room and then we all busted out laughing. There were plenty of us at the moment wishing we were swinging a hammer instead of being in management.

FWIW, I’ve averaged about 60 hours per week worked for the past 3 months. I went to bed at 3AM last night because I was trying to get a budget out the door. If I worked those hours as a plumber, I’d be making $200k per year. 

You can switch jobs. There is precedent. 
a4a8a90f-d4bb-4194-94a8-b6d484018657_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yep, I remember those good old construction days. Now I pull $4000.00 a month and don't even have to get out of bed if I don't want to. Thank God, zero debt, just a truck note.  Beginning to like this forced retirement life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Recipe websites. Anytime I need to look up an oddity I don’t normally cook I loathe getting on Google to find a site.

There are more popups and auto-rolling videos than a @nowthis website. It is infuriating. The screen gets shrunk down to about 60-70% of a readable size and you have to scroll too far for what you need.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Recipe websites. Anytime I need to look up an oddity I don’t normally cook I loathe getting on Google to find a site.

I just want to know the ratio of flour to water / cooking time to temp, not the history of yeast or a backstory on how your grandma hand picked the wheat. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I just want to know the ratio of flour to water / cooking time to temp, not the history of yeast or a backstory on how your grandma hand picked the wheat. 

Cookbooks. No popups or mindless drivel banter. Though the might have my mothers hand written notes. I've got at least 40 of them going back to the 40's. Need a recipe to cook pigeon & squirrel? Want war time  necessary rationing substations? Got it covered. 

• Hook 'Em 2

because of wife i've been doing a criminal amount of shopping at ikea, which ive grown to actually appreciate.  but anyway, every single item in there comes with like 3 disposable hex keys and the "manuals" are like 300 pages because theyre printed in 25 different languages.

in the big picture a tiny bit of metal and some (surely) recycled paper isn't all that wasteful...but still feels wasteful.

It doesn't matter what time it is locally, you should not call someone who works in a different time zone when they are supposed to be off the clock.

My wife fell asleep with the kids and woke up around midnight.

She logged onto her work computer to check an email, and her status on Teams turned green. A coworker from Italy saw her online, and asked to talk. My wife for some reason took the call at 1230. Very inconsiderate.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Superhero said:

It doesn't matter what time it is locally, you should not call someone who works in a different time zone when they are supposed to be off the clock.

My wife fell asleep with the kids and woke up around midnight.

She logged onto her work computer to check an email, and her status on Teams turned green. A coworker from Italy saw her online, and asked to talk. My wife for some reason took the call at 1230. Very inconsiderate.

That seems to be your wife’s problem and not her coworker’s. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

because of wife i've been doing a criminal amount of shopping at ikea, which ive grown to actually appreciate.  but anyway, every single item in there comes with like 3 disposable hex keys and the "manuals" are like 300 pages because theyre printed in 25 different languages.

in the big picture a tiny bit of metal and some (surely) recycled paper isn't all that wasteful...but still feels wasteful.

Sweden was gonna donate a bunch of anti-tank artillery and APV's to Ukraine.  They sent ahead the instruction manuals to prep the UA before shipment began.  And Ukraine basically said, "Nah dawg, all good here.  Thanks though.  Maybe some meatballs?"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

kids are asleep.  house is quiet.  im sitting downstairs on the couch sharpening kitchen knives with tv on for background light.

never thought that would be an ideal friday evening but here we are....

I picture you clanging them together, murmuring, "Warriors....come out and play..."  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How many sneezes in a row does it take before you know its allergies and not just a random sneeze? Where you know you are eventually getting a claritin. You all should think about this next time you sneeze. For me, anything more than 2 in a row. Its strange but sneezing twice in succession doesnt water my eyes or make me think allergies, but if I hit 3 in a row, I can notice a real difference. 

kids are asleep.  house is quiet.  im sitting downstairs on the couch sharpening kitchen knives with tv on for background light.
never thought that would be an ideal friday evening but here we are....

I’ve tried many times but putting a really sharp edge on a knife is a skill I just lack. I use a pull through sharpener and I feel bad about myself every time I do it.
  • Like 3

I’ve tried many times but putting a really sharp edge on a knife is a skill I just lack. I use a pull through sharpener and I feel bad about myself every time I do it.

This. One of the great embarrassments of my life is that I can’t sharpen a knife for shit. I have 1,000 male life skills, including some that aren’t common, but man…I need to learn how to sharpen a blade.

This. One of the great embarrassments of my life is that I can’t sharpen a knife for shit. I have 1,000 male life skills, including some that aren’t common, but man…I need to learn how to sharpen a blade.
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Knife-Sharpener-Onion/dp/B00EJ9CQKA/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=work+sharp+ken+onion+edition&qid=1678558691&sr=8-3

Easy thing to correct.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I prefer not to let my enemies get close enough to me for me to stab them

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Start with practice on the bones of your mortal enemy. 

But also, running the knife on a honing steel everyday does more for its performance than periodic sharpening…which can be left to a pro (or whole foods / central market)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Have you ever had a California roll? The use imitation crab for the poors.

That aside, I'm always fascinated by the machinery built to make food, drinks, any type of widget on an industrial scale. It's not like you can buy a fake crab machine off the shelf. Someone had to design it while thinking about safety, ease of use and maintenance, and build a machine that may never be used anywhere else in the world. It's fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I'm always fascinated by the machinery built to make food, drinks, any type of widget on an industrial scale. It's not like you can buy a fake crab machine off the shelf. Someone had to design it while thinking about safety, ease of use and maintenance, and build a machine that may never be used anywhere else in the world. It's fascinating.

Brother? 

Most of my work experience is in manufacturing/production and while not possessing a mechanical aptitude, I do find the ideas, designs and workings of machinery fascinating also.  

On 3/3/2023 at 12:37 AM, Superhero said:

61266EC9-40BB-4AC8-888B-FFAE83E24D41.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Superhero said:

That aside, I'm always fascinated by the machinery built to make food, drinks, any type of widget on an industrial scale. It's not like you can buy a fake crab machine off the shelf. Someone had to design it while thinking about safety, ease of use and maintenance, and build a machine that may never be used anywhere else in the world. It's fascinating.

Im fascinated by industrial scale machinery for somewhat opposite reason. I kinda thought of they would be ultra complex high sophisticated things when in fact they’re conceptually very crude but just simply gigantic. 

Like drilling an oil well can be construed as very technical and highly evolved….but if you strip it down, its literally a gigantic drill string 

Or the crazy ass town-sized excavators, is just a really really really big saw. 

I dunno 5 year old me thought they would use plasma lazers to zap away earth or whatever 
Coal-excavator-ausgeCOhlt.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2