Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

its pretty sad/pathetic that basically all traditional news entities now engage in online affiliate marketing.  NYT's wirecutter is the most prominent, but i remember seeing virtually every outlet with a page disclosing their affiliate marketing scheme and agreements...almost always for tech gadgets.

like... hey please grab the latest copy of US News and World Report for our latest college rankings... oh by the way would you be interested in some JBL Headphones???

Having to re-think an 8 year friendship. This man(not sure about that anyore) just paid some company to come out and clean his bbq grill. If you are man enough to bbq, you should be man enough to clean it.

I didn't even know there were companies that specialized in that. And it wasn't cheap either. 46f10a218d7c07d00ffde554667336e1.gif

Just ordered oil change stuff from Walmart this morning as they have it cheapest. Thought about picking it up, but said screw it, I don't even feel like doing that. Free shipping (without any sort of membership needed) and it says it will get here tomorrow. Score!

Just got a text saying the delivery will be here in 10 minutes. Click on it, and there's an Uber-like map where you can track the car delivering. So I'm getting my stuff about five hours after I ordered it with no shipping fee or membership. That's insane to me.

Having to re-think an 8 year friendship. This man(not sure about that anyore) just paid some company to come out and clean his bbq grill. If you are man enough to bbq, you should be man enough to clean it.

I didn't even know there were companies that specialized in that. And it wasn't cheap either. 46f10a218d7c07d00ffde554667336e1.gif

“Clean BBQ grill” = “let’s see how hot I can get it today” at my house
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just ordered oil change stuff from Walmart this morning as they have it cheapest. Thought about picking it up, but said screw it, I don't even feel like doing that. Free shipping (without any sort of membership needed) and it says it will get here tomorrow. Score!

Just got a text saying the delivery will be here in 10 minutes. Click on it, and there's an Uber-like map where you can track the car delivering. So I'm getting my stuff about five hours after I ordered it with no shipping fee or membership. That's insane to me.

Lol. It was one quart of motor oil. The rest is set to come later.

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

How long does it normally take for a murder case to go to trial after the suspect has been arrested? 

About the time it takes to get motor oil from Wal-Mart.  

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Took my kid to the Dr for her 11 year old shots. Hard to believe we’ve had to keep around and still use a paper shot record for her since she was an infant. You’d think that info would all be available online somewhere.

Funny you should mention that.  We had a pitch competition from incoming UT students and one was about digitized health records.  And it was just baffling to hear young people talk about how everything they have ever known in their entire life has been digital/online.  Except their health records.  For the supposed "Best health care system in the world", we really do have a lot of shit ass-backwards.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

About the time it takes to get motor oil from Wal-Mart.  

Friend of mine got murdered in November of 2020. They caught the guy in January of 2021 but he's been locked up in the county jail since then. Haven't heard anything about a trial 

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Friend of mine got murdered in November of 2020. They caught the guy in January of 2021 but he's been locked up in the county jail since then. Haven't heard anything about a trial 

Things can get dragged on and on if one side or the other so desires. I would think that after 2+ years they would have their shit together. But maybe the defense is stalling. 

This is from that Nextdoor forum…..

Hello all,
I want to warn you all that the Kia Tic Tok Challenge has hit our neighborhood.  Last Sunday night, teenagers attempted to steal my 2015 Kia Rio with a phone charger. They ripped up the ignition so bad that it would take 3 months to fix. I called APD, and after a week, my case is still not assigned to anyone. I had to collect my own evidence, which included a very clear fingerprint and the phone cord they used. The only reason they didn't actually get the car is because they couldn't drive a manual. Please share if you see and media uploads with this vehicle.  Thanks

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Driving home this afternoon going about 82 in a 75 on an almost empty highway and passed a guy doing about 70. Went about 5 miles without coming up on another vehicle before I remembered and moved back to the right lane. Pretty sure that still makes me the asshole. ( in this instance anyway)

Couch finally got here.  Don’t love it

tipped the movers.   They said I was only the second person out of ten deliveries to do it.  Come on cheap skates!

on that note, feels like I’m always last on the delivery route no matter what I’m getting delivered.  

cross posting.  I broke one of my ice cube trays.  Old man strength.  

• Like 1

Shopping yesterday and my 11 year old kid sees a 3k couch she really likes for her room. I tell her no, we’re not spending 3 grand on a couch for her bedroom that would just be full of her piled up clothes within a day. She begs and says the tag advertises it’s just 300 a month for 5 years! I try explaining to her that that’s $18,000.00 but that’s just beyond her comprehension. Don’t know what they’re teaching in school nowadays but it may explain how some kids get into so much student loan debt.

• Like 2

Almost forgot about the time of the State of Texas Sesquicentennial festivities in 1986 when the Prince of Wales dropped by Austin for a short visit. 
He met local celebrities including Lady Bird Johnson, Walter Cronkite, & Willie Nelson. 
He even was asked to cut the giant Texas birthday cake which was on a platform that filled an entire basketball court downtown.
Afterwards, the Austin Mayor invited the public to come on down an take as much cake as they wanted. 
So the wife & I plus our 3 sons drove downtown in her Chevy station wagon, parked, then went into the arena and carried out big sheets of the cake that filled the back end of the car.
Of course when we got home, the boys pigged out on the cake which surprisingly was really good. 
The next morning I drove wife’s car to school and drafted some of my students in each class to bring in a couple of cake sections and serve it to all their classmates on paper towels. We had plenty for all 150 kids in each of the six class periods. 

C471991D-B3F0-49AA-8114-9B02BF0031D1.jpeg

DEE74F7F-9DD3-46F9-B348-AF49052F816A.jpeg

A499840F-3088-460F-8F76-E4E04E31D006.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Shopping yesterday and my 11 year old kid sees a 3k couch she really likes for her room. I tell her no, we’re not spending 3 grand on a couch for her bedroom that would just be full of her piled up clothes within a day. She begs and says the tag advertises it’s just 300 a month for 5 years! I try explaining to her that that’s $18,000.00 but that’s just beyond her comprehension. Don’t know what they’re teaching in school nowadays but it may explain how some kids get into so much student loan debt.

I can promise you from personal experience with folks of all stripes.  We absolutely, and very purposely do not teach financial literacy to young people.   Because none of the rest of this illusion would work.  Parents and teachers alike beg for it.  And our compromise is always the same---we will give you some materials on how to teach them to balance a checkbook by hand.  You know?  That totally relevant skill that hasn't at all been replaced by technology.  From the ISD boards I serve on, even to UT, and certainly the bank we operate...the entire scheme relies on a complete and total lack of information.  And when you do get it, it's a pamphlet with a sized Zero font written in what is probably Aramaic.  

We just finished up our academy for first generation students of color to attend to college as they rise up for university.  We cover all kinda topics.  I used to crack wise with them, "There is no room of people trying to prevent you from making smart financial decisions as you enter college---from credit cards, to loans, to grants and scholarships, to budgeting, all of it."  Then I found myself in one of those rooms.  I don't know how in the fuck we made it this far.  /csb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Society has reached a certain peak of luxury when there is a class of people whose profession is xxx Critic.

Art Critic; Architecture Critic; Urban Critic; etc...

You should read the Austin Skyscraper forum.

Those guys have been wishing for years to see massive buildings to go up downtown. 
Then when some of them get built, they criticize the architecture & materials used…..”do not like it at all”.

17 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Those guys have been wishing for years to see massive buildings to go up downtown. 
Then when some of them get built, they criticize the architecture & materials used…..”do not like it at all”.

Yeah,  but did you see the one with the blue glass?  

45 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I was on a tourism website (restaurant recommendations and such) where they also had interviews with various locals for their perspective on things.  The people were listed variously as "journalists" "historians" "museum curator"... and then a bunch of "XXX critics".

Sure everyone is titled to have an opinion on things, but how does that become your identity or profession?  "Yeah I reflect on urban structural development and blog about it"