Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

It's bullshit that major grocery stores are open today. If you really gave a damn about your employees you would give them the whole day off. Instead, you make them work a full day because some jackass, who would drown in a cup of water, forgot to buy the shitty rolls. The only thing worse than that is having to work in the evening for the ridiculous black Friday sales. 

And while I'm on my real early Festivus speech; Duroc pork scam is BS. Just like the Black Angus scam. 99% of the people eating couldn't tell the difference between duroc and sheetrock pork. 

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2023 at 5:34 PM, Armybrat said:

Almost forgot about the time of the State of Texas Sesquicentennial festivities in 1986 when the Prince of Wales dropped by Austin for a short visit. 
He met local celebrities including Lady Bird Johnson, Walter Cronkite, & Willie Nelson. 
He even was asked to cut the giant Texas birthday cake which was on a platform that filled an entire basketball court downtown.
Afterwards, the Austin Mayor invited the public to come on down an take as much cake as they wanted. 
So the wife & I plus our 3 sons drove downtown in her Chevy station wagon, parked, then went into the arena and carried out big sheets of the cake that filled the back end of the car.
Of course when we got home, the boys pigged out on the cake which surprisingly was really good. 
The next morning I drove wife’s car to school and drafted some of my students in each class to bring in a couple of cake sections and serve it to all their classmates on paper towels. We had plenty for all 150 kids in each of the six class periods. 

C471991D-B3F0-49AA-8114-9B02BF0031D1.jpeg

DEE74F7F-9DD3-46F9-B348-AF49052F816A.jpeg

A499840F-3088-460F-8F76-E4E04E31D006.jpeg

I remember that. I walked from campus down to the capitol to see his speech. I remember he was really sunburned.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:34 PM, Armybrat said:

Almost forgot about the time of the State of Texas Sesquicentennial festivities in 1986 when the Prince of Wales dropped by Austin for a short visit. 
He met local celebrities including Lady Bird Johnson, Walter Cronkite, & Willie Nelson. 
He even was asked to cut the giant Texas birthday cake which was on a platform that filled an entire basketball court downtown.
Afterwards, the Austin Mayor invited the public to come on down an take as much cake as they wanted. 
So the wife & I plus our 3 sons drove downtown in her Chevy station wagon, parked, then went into the arena and carried out big sheets of the cake that filled the back end of the car.
Of course when we got home, the boys pigged out on the cake which surprisingly was really good. 
The next morning I drove wife’s car to school and drafted some of my students in each class to bring in a couple of cake sections and serve it to all their classmates on paper towels. We had plenty for all 150 kids in each of the six class periods. 

C471991D-B3F0-49AA-8114-9B02BF0031D1.jpeg

DEE74F7F-9DD3-46F9-B348-AF49052F816A.jpeg

A499840F-3088-460F-8F76-E4E04E31D006.jpeg

That's crazy. Today half the kids wouldn't eat it because it's not on the approved food list. The other half couldn't eat it because of their allergies. There is actually a kid in my son's class who is allergic to buttercream. Poor girl has to eat plain cake. And then only a tiny slice. No way to live for a kid.

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Wouldn’t grocery stores pay time and 1/2 for working today?

Maybe there are people that want the time and 1/2. When I was in HS and worked at the grocery store they always asked who wanted to work.

Is that not a thing anymore?

My son-in-law is a paramedic/firefighter. He’s working today. He gets triple time for holidays. 

• Like 1

Watching my kids play Super Smash Brothers. Between the music, characters, explosions, the screen zooming in and out, helpers, special moves, this is the most hectic over the top game I’ve ever seen.

I’m amazed how they can keep focusing on the game play. I can also see myself getting seizures if I tried playing myself. 

• Like 2

I could never get into smash bros on GameCube and beyond. There’s waaaaaay too much going on in the screen for my mind to decode. My boys love playing it on the switch and I try watching for a few minutes before I’m asking for Mario kart.

They brought goldeneye to the online Nintendo account but the controls absolutely suck. I spent months talking it to them before it dropped only for us to play once. I miss grenade launchers in the temple so bad.

On 10/28/2023 at 10:49 AM, 52-80 said:

For no particular reason ive decided to remove my iphone case and go bareback. Feels weirdman. 

Almost 1 month update. 

I was stuck in a small meeting room all day, so lots of staring at the back of my phone sitting on its face on the table and noticing nothing weird. 

Then I step outside with my phone for a short break, and sometime later im staring at the phone again and notice a fucking crack across the main camera lens. 

Local apple store quotes about $500 to replace the “primary camera”, and $1100 to replace the entire camera module. 

Work insurance will take care of it probably with a full phone replacement, but wtf man. 

• Like 1

Almost 1 month update. 
I was stuck in a small meeting room all day, so lots of staring at the back of my phone sitting on its face on the table and noticing nothing weird. 
Then I step outside with my phone for a short break, and sometime later im staring at the phone again and notice a fucking crack across the main camera lens. 
Local apple store quotes about $500 to replace the “primary camera”, and $1100 to replace the entire camera module. 
Work insurance will take care of it probably with a full phone replacement, but wtf man. 

$9.99 replacement lens kit from Amazon and a YouTube lesson and you’re back in business
  • Like 1

He is absolutely by far and away, as living ex Presidents go, the best man.  And it’s not even worth the bother of comparison.  I don’t think anyone on either side of my family voted for him either time, but I know we’re all gonna cry like babies when he joins Roslyn in the sky.  

we were with the in laws in Fort Worth for 7 days.  I only shit twice.  Those people eat like drunken lumberjacks.  Every single meal had heavy meats, double starches, and dessert.  They are blessed with great metabolism and stamina.  But since I had to make some physical changes 18 months ago, the week of eating with them has totally fucked me up.  I had lots of greens and veggies, but damn. And they don’t go out to eat, so I have to eat what they cooked (I grilled/smoked a few times for them as a thank you), so as not to seem rude.  22 meals together.  2 shits.  Averaged maybe 5-6 hours of sleep/night because I was in so much discomfort.  Wife wonders why every time we see her family, I have to make a run to the store for magnesium citrate.  Happy Christmas; where’s the Tylenol.

• Like 2
  • Prepare your anus 3

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

A barracuda can swim faster than I can but I can probably outrun a barracuda.  So, in a triathlon, it would all come down to which one of us is the better cyclist. 

Hippo. The joke is a hippo. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, Brothahorn said:

And while I'm on my real early Festivus speech; Duroc pork scam is BS. Just like the Black Angus scam. 99% of the people eating couldn't tell the difference between duroc and sheetrock pork. 

what in the fuck is duroc pork.  it sounds like a 3M product.  the specialty pork i see at restaurants is mangalica but it just tastes like normal pork to me - and normal pork is already delicious

• Hook 'Em 1

i dont understand how strong of a conviction people have and how finely attuned to music they are to be able to rank background instrumentalists from different bands.

people will say shit like "the best bassists in 80s rock are from def leppard, motley crue, van halen, and then bon jovi". 

in blues music, the guitar is front and center, and albert king obviously has sound unique from john lee hooker and from jeff beck, and you can have a favorite out of them.  but for drummers and rhythm guitars you must be a fanatic to discern that stuff right?  i suppose its like non-"skill" positions in football.  i couldnt name 10 NFL Right Tackles for a million dollars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i dont understand how strong of a conviction people have and how finely attuned to music they are to be able to rank background instrumentalists from different bands.

people will say shit like "the best bassists in 80s rock are from def leppard, motley crue, van halen, and then bon jovi". 

in blues music, the guitar is front and center, and albert king obviously has sound unique from john lee hooker and from jeff beck, and you can have a favorite out of them.  but for drummers and rhythm guitars you must be a fanatic to discern that stuff right?  i suppose its like non-"skill" positions in football.  i couldnt name 10 NFL Right Tackles for a million dollars.

I am a drummer and have been playing for over 55 years.

So I am not a musician.

However, I can easily pick out any instrument in a song and follow what is being played. I am partial to listening to bass lines in songs.

Oh, and Paul McCartney played some of the greatest bass lines in history. 

I Saw Her Standing There

Rain

Nowhere Man

Dear Prudence

To name a few.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Yeah, good discernment.  I played some piano, some guitar, some drums, and some saxophone.  Because my hand-eye coordination is for shit, I was never really good at any of them (was okay at Saxophone since it probably requires the least coordination of any of those instruments).  But I can pick out any instrument in any song.  I used to be able to discern keys and beat/time signatures like it was nothing.  It's harder for me now with worse hearing and fading intuitive rhythm.  

All that said, the "best bassist", "best guitarist", etc. debate is and has always been twisted.  Because there's really schools to each 'contest.'  Who wrote the best for the instrument?  Who arranged the best for the instrument, or more modern slang-who played along best with the songwriter(s)?  And finally, who actually plays the best, who is the most technically proficient?  

There are some truly gifted guitarists in the way they play who can't write anything to save their life.  They just jam along side song-sound creators and eventually slice out some good shit.  There are gorgeous songs rich with melody and storytelling and the guitar player struggles to come up with 4 chords and a solo riff to compliment it.  There are some bassists who are just background beats but who contribute greatly to the stylization of the song.  Some drummers are just time keepers, others are powerful glue, still others guide the songs utterly and completely.  And then you get into the world of keyboardists/pianists and how they drive and create symphonic rock-like the Grateful Dead or John Paul Jones or Freddie Mercury.  

Johnathan Entwhistle is probably my favorite rock bassist.  Technically graceful but beastly.  Didn't contribute much in terms of songwriting (a little, but not much).  And never really varied much in live performances from the studio sound.  But when Pete handed him a song, he intuitively rocked the bass line and stood up the backbone of the Who's classic stadium rock sound.  Charles Mingus took bass in a completely new direction with his stylings and sound.  Few know his name but his timestamp is all over rock 'n roll.  John Paul Jones probably another great example of not the best or most powerful on the actual instrument, but between his songwriting and arranging and then delivering on stage-tell me who was better?  And then somebody like Geddy Lee.  I've been listening closely to Rush for 35 years, never once had to take a breath to appreciate the bass line in a Rush song.  But Geddy's songwriting and bringing the bass as a layer on top of Peart and Lifeson, that's his gift.  Plus a kickass keyboard player to boot.  Who can just spank out the best riff line on a 5-string bass?  Probably the fat dude from Ben Harper's Innocent Criminals, Juan Nelson.  Who writes the best fo the bass?  Whose bass stands out the most in songs?  Who can let the songwriters craft the sound and bring the best complimentary, yet individualized bass line, to the table?  That's why "Best Bassist" and "Best Drummer" and "Best Guitarist" and "Best Keyboardist" rock lists are absurd.  Elton John?  Great showman, very good piano player, writes fantastic melodies, almost Jerry Lee Lewis like on stage behind the ivories, brings in a great lyricist like Bernie, but he'd never make it on stage at Carnegie Hall based on piano chops alone.  But overall, is he a great pianist/keyboardist because of all those other skills?  Absolutely, one of the ten best of all time and his songs are legend but there's never gonna be a mastercourse in his keyplaying skills.  Almost any bass player I know can play any John Paul Jones bassline with little practice.  But they can't write or arrange like John and certainly could never keep up with John Bonham.  That's why Jonesey is legend and nobody knows who the bass player from Def Leppard is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 11/23/2023 at 8:35 AM, Brothahorn said:

It's bullshit that major grocery stores are open today. If you really gave a damn about your employees you would give them the whole day off. Instead, you make them work a full day because some jackass, who would drown in a cup of water, forgot to buy the shitty rolls. The only thing worse than that is having to work in the evening for the ridiculous black Friday sales. 

Meh.  I've been in the grocery industry for 3 decades.  We know the deal.  To your point though, it was unbelievable  when some chains were staying open in the morning of T'giving; there'd be shoppers getting full baskets of groceries.  "Ahhhh, Thanksgiving snuck up on another one..."

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, good discernment.  I played some piano, some guitar, some drums, and some saxophone.  Because my hand-eye coordination is for shit, I was never really good at any of them (was okay at Saxophone since it probably requires the least coordination of any of those instruments).  But I can pick out any instrument in any song.  I used to be able to discern keys and beat/time signatures like it was nothing.  It's harder for me now with worse hearing and fading intuitive rhythm.  

All that said, the "best bassist", "best guitarist", etc. debate is and has always been twisted.  Because there's really schools to each 'contest.'  Who wrote the best for the instrument?  Who arranged the best for the instrument, or more modern slang-who played along best with the songwriter(s)?  And finally, who actually plays the best, who is the most technically proficient?  

There are some truly gifted guitarists in the way they play who can't write anything to save their life.  They just jam along side song-sound creators and eventually slice out some good shit.  There are gorgeous songs rich with melody and storytelling and the guitar player struggles to come up with 4 chords and a solo riff to compliment it.  There are some bassists who are just background beats but who contribute greatly to the stylization of the song.  Some drummers are just time keepers, others are powerful glue, still others guide the songs utterly and completely.  And then you get into the world of keyboardists/pianists and how they drive and create symphonic rock-like the Grateful Dead or John Paul Jones or Freddie Mercury.  

Johnathan Entwhistle is probably my favorite rock bassist.  Technically graceful but beastly.  Didn't contribute much in terms of songwriting (a little, but not much).  And never really varied much in live performances from the studio sound.  But when Pete handed him a song, he intuitively rocked the bass line and stood up the backbone of the Who's classic stadium rock sound.  Charles Mingus took bass in a completely new direction with his stylings and sound.  Few know his name but his timestamp is all over rock 'n roll.  John Paul Jones probably another great example of not the best or most powerful on the actual instrument, but between his songwriting and arranging and then delivering on stage-tell me who was better?  And then somebody like Geddy Lee.  I've been listening closely to Rush for 35 years, never once had to take a breath to appreciate the bass line in a Rush song.  But Geddy's songwriting and bringing the bass as a layer on top of Peart and Lifeson, that's his gift.  Plus a kickass keyboard player to boot.  Who can just spank out the best riff line on a 5-string bass?  Probably the fat dude from Ben Harper's Innocent Criminals, Juan Nelson.  Who writes the best fo the bass?  Whose bass stands out the most in songs?  Who can let the songwriters craft the sound and bring the best complimentary, yet individualized bass line, to the table?  That's why "Best Bassist" and "Best Drummer" and "Best Guitarist" and "Best Keyboardist" rock lists are absurd.  Elton John?  Great showman, very good piano player, writes fantastic melodies, almost Jerry Lee Lewis like on stage behind the ivories, brings in a great lyricist like Bernie, but he'd never make it on stage at Carnegie Hall based on piano chops alone.  But overall, is he a great pianist/keyboardist because of all those other skills?  Absolutely, one of the ten best of all time and his songs are legend but there's never gonna be a mastercourse in his keyplaying skills.  Almost any bass player I know can play any John Paul Jones bassline with little practice.  But they can't write or arrange like John and certainly could never keep up with John Bonham.  That's why Jonesey is legend and nobody knows who the bass player from Def Leppard is. 

Good post.

31 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So I am not a musician.

However, I can easily pick out any instrument in a song and follow what is being played. I am partial to listening to bass lines in songs.

Even if you can clearly pick out the bass, is that enough of a basis to judge the talent of the bassist?

Theres a case for jazz with instrumental solos where its possible to hear a musicians creativity and technical complexity and execution. 

Within a rock song wheres bass is often a “simple” driving rhythmn, I dont understand how people can discern the differences between the bassist for Dire Straits vs Fleetwood Mac

3 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Even if you can clearly pick out the bass, is that enough of a basis to judge the talent of the bassist?

Theres a case for jazz with instrumental solos where its possible to hear a musicians creativity and technical complexity and execution. 

Within a rock song wheres bass is often a “simple” driving rhythmn, I dont understand how people can discern the differences between the bassist for Dire Straits vs Fleetwood Mac

That is a great question however I don't really judge them or try and say this bassist is better than that one. Same with guitar players or drummers.

I just appreciate what they are doing and I really enjoy the creativity of it all.

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The best "fill in the musical instrument player" discussion/argument kills me. I'm in agreement with you. 95% of the people arguing have no clue of proficiency/ability on any given instrument, just a biased opinion on what they like. People who claim Hendricks/Clapton/Slash et all, guitarist are the best ever, just spout what they've read somewhere else. Ever see Terry Cathy or Jan Akkerman play? I saw Carlos Montoya play flamenco guitar and he was amazing. He could do stuff most guitarist could never imagine doing. I guess people like to argue or try to prove their own importance/knowledge/superiority on subjects. I don't really care. I just enjoy the music.    

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Rep for bringing up Mingus.  If you want to get somewhere in a hurry throw on 'II B.S'. That song was actually featured in a Volkswagen commercial years ago.  Anyways, he is the first artist I go to when I feel like listening to Jazz.

• Like 1

csb/ Rob Spragg & Mark Sams regaled me with a story several years ago at SXSW about hearing that Charles Mingus tune while driving from Brixton, UK to the coast.  And mashing it up with their then current stylings layered on top of some Howlin' Wolf.  They were fucked up on heroin at the time, and were fucked up on blow when they told me the story.  It became the cornerstone of a record they cut later that year, based on the Stones title, "Exile on Coldharbour Lane."  One of their producers thought it was a throwaway track, that there were better tracks on the album.  But for grins 'n giggles, sent it to a friend at HBO.  Can't remember who that guy was but he felt it would make a great driving track in a show, it even mentions Charles Mingus in the extended play lyrics. 

Though the band never really took off here in the States, the Alabama 3 took that Mingus/Howlin' Wolf sound and turned it into maybe the most famous driving track in television/movie history.  We all know the beat and the frame-by-frame of "Woke up This Morning" from "The Sopranos"...all because some white acid-house blue boys from the wrong side of London mashed up Mingus and Wolf.  And that's how Tony Soprano gets to work everyday.  /csb   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Mrs. Brat blew a mean sax before we were married, but of course that ceased once we said “I do”.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So I am not a musician.

Oh, and Paul McCartney played some of the greatest bass lines in history. 

I Saw Her Standing There

Rain

Nowhere Man

Dear Prudence

To name a few.

Oh! Darling. His singing raged in that song too.

I hate to think about it but the world is going to come to a standstill when he passes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Crapinon said:

The best "fill in the musical instrument player" discussion/argument kills me. I'm in agreement with you. 95% of the people arguing have no clue of proficiency/ability on any given instrument, just a biased opinion on what they like. People who claim Hendricks/Clapton/Slash et all, guitarist are the best ever, just spout what they've read somewhere else. Ever see Terry Cathy or Jan Akkerman play? I saw Carlos Montoya play flamenco guitar and he was amazing. He could do stuff most guitarist could never imagine doing. I guess people like to argue or try to prove their own importance/knowledge/superiority on subjects. I don't really care. I just enjoy the music.    

I always laugh at “the best” lists. Those things are popularity contests. And there is really no way to evaluate a Johnny Winter to Al Di Meola to Steve Stevens based solely on technical efficiency. They ALL are fucking great at what they do. Then you have to throw in your BB King types who refuse to play chords if they can avoid it. Or a Keith Richards who loves to play open G. He is basically only playing five strings. And his riffs are iconic as hell. 
Now if you start factoring in who could write songs, and who could not, you would get some separation. But even then how do you compare Knopfler to say, Clapton and the previously mentioned Richards when they don’t play anything alike? Yet they all are bad ass

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oh! Darling. His singing raged in that song too.

I hate to think about it but the world is going to come to a standstill when he passes. 

Interesting fact about that song Oh Darling.....

John really thought he could sing it better than Paul and lobbied for it but Paul obviously ended up recording the vocals himself.

Would love to have heard a version with John on lead vocals. It would have been awesome as well.

3 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

I always laugh at “the best” lists. Those things are popularity contests. And there is really no way to evaluate a Johnny Winter to Al Di Meola to Steve Stevens based solely on technical efficiency. They ALL are fucking great at what they do. Then you have to throw in your BB King types who refuse to play chords if they can avoid it. Or a Keith Richards who loves to play open G. He is basically only playing five strings. And his riffs are iconic as hell. 
Now if you start factoring in who could write songs, and who could not, you would get some separation. But even then how do you compare Knopfler to say, Clapton and the previously mentioned Richards when they don’t play anything alike? Yet they all are bad ass

What I was leaning more towards was, if you watch the Giants play the Falcons just 1 time, you could form an opinion of whether Saquon is better than Bijan.  It'd be subjective, sure, but it's reasonably informed.  But it'd be really hard -- atleast for me -- to tell if Drew Dalman is a better Center than John Schmitz.

Obviously it's possible to assess them. There's scouts and coaches whose literal job it is to evaluate them. And supposing I only paid attention to them the entire game, I could kinda surmise who's a better blocker.

But most people most of the time would not be able to muster an opinion.

I listen to Tool and their music features prominent drumming, so the sound is obvious and I enjoy it, but does that make Danny Carey a "great" drummer?  I'd have no idea, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1