Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 7/27/2018 at 8:20 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Is the Balcones tour/tasting room any good? I figure the wife can drop me off at Balcones and go wait in line for 3 hours at Magnolia Market while I sip some nice cask strength whiskey. 

It's a really solid tour.  Then head to Barnett's between 4th and 5th on Franklin and you can taste on a whole bunch of stuff that we talk about on here.  OF 1920 and Birthday, Old Fitz, EH Taylor lineup, every Balcone's made, KO, the entire Bellmeade line, and so many others I can't remember.  Makes for a good day when the wife is spending all your money.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Apparently in most of the rickhouses, since there are five or six floors, the temp at the top during the summer are much hotter than the bottom. It was definitely cool at the bottom. So the barrels at the top expand and contract more, so they age more quickly than, for example, Scotland.

That's the claim anyway. There is a difference between American Oak and European. Because European Oak is grown at lower temperatures, the rings are much closed together and so wood is more dense, as are the various compounds that flavor the beverage. Most people think French/European Oak is better.

So does "age more quickly" mean that a 5 yr barrel will taste like a 7 yr barrel?

On 7/30/2018 at 1:23 PM, ZanTheFan said:

Found Stagg Jr at the Costco on 183/Great Hills. Been a minute since I've found any. Bonerjams

Jeez....out here we get Maker's 46 and sometimes Angel Envy....best they ever had, and it's gone now, was Bookers.

Had a great time at the Houston Whiskey Social this past weekend.  Probably sampled close to 60 different bourbons.  An unreal experience, overwhelming and mindblowing.  The absolute best was the pappy tasting - healthy pours of 10,12,15,20,23.  there is no wonder this brand is at the top of the spirit.  they were all excellent, compared to all the others.  the next best 5 were part of the BTAC - wlw, gts, er17, and two ryes - Sazerac 18 and thomas h handy.  Those were the most interesting of the bunch, all excellent as well.  also tried 5 samplings from the knob creek limited edition collection.  they had 4 different years of birthday bourbon - (14,15,16,17).  I was disappointed in these.  My first tastes of birthday and they were not as good as the pappy or btac selections.

of the affordable/available bourbons, liked cody road, Hudson, mb roland, 1876, cotton hollow, widow jane.  there were so many good ones and hard to be noteworthy when you sample so many in such a short time.  they all run together after a while.  I was disappointed in the barrel booth.  they had probably 10 of theirs there, and I tried at least three and none impressed me.  this is disappointing because I have a batch 12 I've been saving back, thinking it will be worth something.  it will not and I will be cracking into it soon.

12 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's a really solid tour.  Then head to Barnett's between 4th and 5th on Franklin and you can taste on a whole bunch of stuff that we talk about on here.  OF 1920 and Birthday, Old Fitz, EH Taylor lineup, every Balcone's made, KO, the entire Bellmeade line, and so many others I can't remember.  Makes for a good day when the wife is spending all your money.  

Gracias.

23 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Apparently in most of the rickhouses, since there are five or six floors, the temp at the top during the summer are much hotter than the bottom. It was definitely cool at the bottom. So the barrels at the top expand and contract more, so they age more quickly than, for example, Scotland.

That's the claim anyway. There is a difference between American Oak and European. Because European Oak is grown at lower temperatures, the rings are much closed together and so wood is more dense, as are the various compounds that flavor the beverage. Most people think French/European Oak is better.

Interesting post. Obviously it wouldn’t be bourbon, but have any distillers attempted to age a “bourbon recipe” in French oak barrels? 

Interesting post. Obviously it wouldn’t be bourbon, but have any distillers attempted to age a “bourbon recipe” in French oak barrels? 

I think the Maker’s Private Select has a couple French Oak staves as options for the finishing stages.

4 minutes ago, thestud said:

You mean Bottle Giant on Eastchase? I hope that little pirate that owns the place goes bankrupt, he's a shitstain and a half. I had quite the entertaining dustup with him a couple years ago over some ER10. I'm 100% certain he prices his products via the secondary FB pages.

Literally every Vietnamese owned liquor store in Houston does the same darned thing. Congrats on owning a computer with internet access, I guess. 

7 minutes ago, ERhine said:

I think the Maker’s Private Select has a couple French Oak staves as options for the finishing stages.

It’s still tastes like Maker’s. I’m on the record of saying I don’t like any of the Maker’s offerings. 

I’m pretty suspicious of Knob Creek due to the Jim Beam connection. I’m going have to sample the 25th Anniversary before I spend $120+ on it. 

It’s still tastes like Maker’s. I’m on the record of saying I don’t like any of the Maker’s offerings. 
I’m pretty suspicious of Knob Creek due to the Jim Beam connection. I’m going have to sample the 25th Anniversary before I spend $120+ on it. 

Suspicious how? I think Knob Creek is some fine brown water.

On 7/21/2018 at 3:36 PM, Brothahorn said:

I keep a bottle of Buffalo Trace and rotate Bulleit, Rebel Yell and Hogs3 for regular drinking. Eagle, Willet, Knob Creek and 1792 are my specials.

I've found my sticking point is $50. Anything over that and I start thinking too much instead of enjoying the drink.

A solid philosophy.   Lots of great hootch under $50.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thestud said:

You mean Bottle Giant on Eastchase? I hope that little pirate that owns the place goes bankrupt, he's a shitstain and a half. I had quite the entertaining dustup with him a couple years ago over some ER10. I'm 100% certain he prices his products via the secondary FB pages.

That's the one and that guy is a crook. I'm trying to remember some other prices: ER10: $39; RY10 $69 (had 5 bottles); McKenna10: $32. The Kentucky Owl at $100 over MSRP just pissed me off.

Is there a law against the excessive mark up of booze?  Fuck him, but he's entitled to set whatever price he thinks the market will stand.  It's our fault if we pay it.  There's plenty of good and great bourbon out there at reasonable prices.

Never had a problem with his pricing.

Am I going to luck into a bottle of GTS for $80 at his store? Nope. Will he have an “overpriced” bottle of Weller 12 in stock everyday of the year. Yep. Will he have bottles I haven’t seen anywhere else for a fair price? Yep.

Beats the shit out of the selection at the Spec’s a quarter mile away. 

On 7/14/2018 at 1:07 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Cask strength , 9 year old bourbon for $50 is pretty good value I’d say. 

Well, you talked me into it. I went out and picked up one today for $59. 125 proof is impressive. I will try it tonight and let it sit a couple of months. It worked great for my EH Taylor single barrel. 

Tell me more. Found one for $125. Not sure if I want to spend that type of money on it.

it’s really good but I’d honestly say it’s overpriced by about $60 or $70. I am really enjoying this bottle but I probably wouldn’t buy it again.
I would if it was priced comparable to OF 1920 which is a better pour.

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

it’s really good but I’d honestly say it’s overpriced by about $60 or $70. I am really enjoying this bottle but I probably wouldn’t buy it again.
I would if it was priced comparable to OF 1920 which is a better pour.

I’ll second that. Definitely overpriced but good. 

In other high proof news, Larceny is releasing a barrel proof sometime this year. Should be good.

• Like 1

Just picked up an EC SB store pick.

They also just got a shipment today of their Weller OWA SB store pick. I tasted it and was REALLY tempted to buy as it’s delicious.

But at $70, I had to pass. She said it’s that high because they had to cover their own costs to travel to Kentucky, yadayadayada.

20 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Picked up 2 more bottles of the Knob Creek 13 yr SiB today. Outstanding bottle for $40 at GG.
One of them is for@thestud.
Grabbed a Balcones True Blue Cask Strength as well but really wanted the Blue Corn Bourbon.

True Blue Cask Strength is my favorite of their offerings to be honest.  I love the Single Malt as well, but TBCS is damn fine. 

5 minutes ago, thestud said:

I’ve been sitting on my TB and Rumble cask strengths for over a year. I have this weird thing where I can’t open a bottle unless I have a backup for it.

Rumble Cask Strength is a nice offering as well.  Not one I want to have more than 1 drink of per sitting, but that just makes the bottle last longer.