Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

So did you drink it all or what? What are you using the decanter for now?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hell yeah I drank it all. I wanna say the last pour was in 2014 or so? Can't say for certain. I ended up selling the decanter, box, etc. for more than I paid for the full bottle of whiskey to begin with, but I find myself really wishing I hadn't. Not because I wanted to hang on to it, but because I'm worried someone is going to pass it off as the real deal and rip someone off.

I didn't include the actual cork based topper when I sold it, which was custom to the bottle. Hopefully that's enough to prevent the counterfeit risk, but in retrospect I should have just destroyed the bottle or displayed it somewhere. 

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

1152569536_ScreenShot2021-12-20at5_48_38PM.png.51789f93784b601de6bdeaad75cc39ae.png

True story. I bought this bottle at MSRP ($350) back in 2011 at Wiggy's Liquor down on East 6th. Spent all day calling around liquor stores looking for a bottle of the PVW23, and was about to give up when I struck gold. Shit was fucking delicious.

Found the old thread at the shag: http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/93435-The-Holy-Grail-of-Bourbon

And yes, I want to punch 2011 me straight in the balls for describing it as "impossibly smooth". 

Killer story from back in the day, but this guy needs to be banned.  

59D6B128-00B7-4C68-8D31-404353DF5F8C.jpeg

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

Hell yeah I drank it all. I wanna say the last pour was in 2014 or so? Can't say for certain. I ended up selling the decanter, box, etc. for more than I paid for the full bottle of whiskey to begin with, but I find myself really wishing I hadn't. Not because I wanted to hang on to it, but because I'm worried someone is going to pass it off as the real deal and rip someone off.

I didn't include the actual cork based topper when I sold it, which was custom to the bottle. Hopefully that's enough to prevent the counterfeit risk, but in retrospect I should have just destroyed the bottle or displayed it somewhere. 

Stitzel-Weller product right? My goodness I bet that tasted good. 

6 minutes ago, Brew said:

I assume because it’s a charity and it’s before December 30-31, it’s a tax write for the very wealthy? $2125 each for BTAC and no GTS is way too much

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume because it’s a charity and it’s before December 30-31, it’s a tax write for the very wealthy? $2125 each for BTAC and no GTS is way too much

Make a large “tax deductible” donation, receive bourbon at MSRP in exchange. That’s all any of this is.

There are some interesting experiences on the other auction, but $200k+ for 17-20 year 4 Roses and the experience they are auctioning with it is a stretch. Some of the recovered bottles from Carrs at the end of the auction list and what is being thrown in by the distillers has my interest at the moment. A lot of the auctions have other details when you click on the listing that make them something to think about.

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Make a large “tax deductible” donation, receive bourbon at MSRP in exchange. That’s all any of this is.

There are some interesting experiences on the other auction, but $200k+ for 17-20 year 4 Roses and the experience they are auctioning with it is a stretch. Some of the recovered bottles from Carrs at the end of the auction list and what is being thrown in by the distillers has my interest at the moment. A lot of the auctions have other details when you click on the listing that make them something to think about.

I won a bottle of Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye in a Christmas raffle from my liquor store. I don’t know whether that’s good or bad and figured some expert on this thread might know whether I should give a shit or not. They called me about it so I haven’t gone and picked it up yet.

Bourbons and ryes are like wine for me in that I absolutely know the difference between rotgut and good, but going from good to great gets beyond my reach. I’ve had pours of Pappy and thought it was great, but I enjoy a Bulleitt Rye Manhattan on the reg at my house too. There’s only like a multi hundred dollar difference in bottle value there, so that’s an indicative of my sophistication. Thanks if anyone’s able to help. 

The Kosher series whiskeys are all fine. They are priced on the lower end of the mid-tier at ~$40 and that’s pretty much what they are worth. You don’t see them often because, well, they are still Buffalo Trace products and so many people have lost all perspective when it comes to that brand.

I think it’s worth picking up assuming you’re paying MSRP. It would no doubt make a great Old Fashioned if nothing else.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I won a bottle of Buffalo Trace Kosher Rye in a Christmas raffle from my liquor store. I don’t know whether that’s good or bad and figured some expert on this thread might know whether I should give a shit or not. They called me about it so I haven’t gone and picked it up yet.

Bourbons and ryes are like wine for me in that I absolutely know the difference between rotgut and good, but going from good to great gets beyond my reach. I’ve had pours of Pappy and thought it was great, but I enjoy a Bulleitt Rye Manhattan on the reg at my house too. There’s only like a multi hundred dollar difference in bottle value there, so that’s an indicative of my sophistication. Thanks if anyone’s able to help. 

Is it the Straight Rye or the Rye Recipe? 

The Straight Rye is a rye whiskey, and the rye recipe is a high rye bourbon similar to Blanton’s. 

They’re both excellent and well worth $40-50. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brew said:

Tried to get the recovered bottle of Angel’s Envy as it came with a private tour and a suite at a Louisville game but it doubled in the last 90 seconds and I couldn’t keep up with it. There were a lot of interesting items in that auction including the barrel of Willett 19 year going for $400k+. Hats off to all the distilleries that participated as there were some sizeable items donated as well as quite a few matching gifts being made. They had to go well over their $1M goal as the 20 or so live auction items for close to that.

Edited by Brew

On 12/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, USCATX said:

Killer story from back in the day, but this guy needs to be banned.  

59D6B128-00B7-4C68-8D31-404353DF5F8C.jpeg

@Jimbaround bought 2 bottles of 23 back in the day and refused to buy a third when it went to over $300

I wish 2021 us could talk to 2010 us and explain a few things.  I only have 2 bottles left from that era.  Maybe I should have bought 3 Tornados.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, huge said:

Yeah I would buy that.  I bought a scotch one and was told to immediately return it.

that scotch finish was garbage.  so was banyuls.  in fact, the only good double rye store pick i have had was the fume blanc.  and its excellent.  EXCELLENT.

17 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Congrats! That's a good get, but I personally would flip it for an ER17 :D

I’d be estoy contento with a bottle of ER17. I thought about it more, and I’m happy regardless. A lot of people didn’t get shit this year and there could be some leftovers coming my way in the next couple weeks. 

Buffalo Trace dropping GTS this year really threw everything for a loop.