Jump to content

OU Recruiting 2023: It Ain't Safe After Dark


UDontKnow
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

wasn't he a complete cancer in the locker room and not very well liked?

No, he’s a great guy, it’s just that everyone he met every day in Norman was an asshole. I’m sure it will be different in Columbia. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

No, he’s a great guy, it’s just that everyone he met every day in Norman was an asshole. I’m sure it will be different in Columbia. 

Well.....yeah. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Venables had this guy in the bag. Flood of crystal balls a few months ago. Now the kid is asking about NIL and OU doesn’t have an answer. They are going to lose him to Nebraska or Oregon

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Edwards-46111508/

Who does OU actually lead for/in a good spot with?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Apparently Venables had this guy in the bag. Flood of crystal balls a few months ago. Now the kid is asking about NIL and OU doesn’t have an answer. They are going to lose him to Nebraska or Oregon

https://247sports.com/Player/Dylan-Edwards-46111508/

It is a little baffling that OU has been caught this flat footed by everything, particularly since they are moving to the SEC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

It is a little baffling that OU has been caught this flat footed by everything, particularly since they are moving to the SEC.

They also aren’t helping themselves with some of the decisions being made that are more within their control. Venables isn’t allowing any 2025 kids to be offered til next spring, he won’t take a commitment unless you promise you won’t take other visits. He is trying to bring Dabo’s approach to the SEC and it could really backfire. They put all these governors on themselves and then try to go into IMG and the southeast to compete for kids and wonder why they aren’t getting much traction so far this class.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They also aren’t helping themselves with some of the decisions being made that are more within their control. Venables isn’t allowing any 2025 kids to be offered til next spring, he won’t take a commitment unless you promise you won’t take other visits. He is trying to bring Dabo’s approach to the SEC and it could really backfire. They put all these governors on themselves and then try to go into IMG and the southeast to compete for kids and wonder why they aren’t getting much traction so far this class.

I think their strategy is brilliant. Curious how it plays out in DFW, as Pastor V thinks he can own that recruiting region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

It is a little baffling that OU has been caught this flat footed by everything, particularly since they are moving to the SEC.

Meth dealers and chicken fuckers aren’t really in the advertising market. I mean, they could just offer meth directly to players, but that’s not everyone’s jam. I guess there are probably some large mobile home manufacturers who could put NIL deals together for them. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 11:57 AM, Hookem2147 said:

They also aren’t helping themselves with some of the decisions being made that are more within their control. Venables isn’t allowing any 2025 kids to be offered til next spring, he won’t take a commitment unless you promise you won’t take other visits. He is trying to bring Dabo’s approach to the SEC and it could really backfire. They put all these governors on themselves and then try to go into IMG and the southeast to compete for kids and wonder why they aren’t getting much traction so far this class.

I'm wrong a lot. Hell, I'm sure I've been wrong numerous times this morning and it's early. That considered, I really don't see these decisions going well for Venables at OU. I thought he was a good hire for OU ... for Texas fans, and I've seen nothing to deter that view so far. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm wrong a lot. Hell, I'm sure I've been wrong numerous times this morning and it's early. That considered, I really don't see these decisions going well for Venables at OU. I thought he was a good hire for OU ... for Texas fans, and I've seen nothing to deter that view so far. 

It sure seems like an antiquated position to take, given the huge swing towards player agency we've seen in the last couple of years.  It's great to find players who are incredibly bought in and loyal, but is it reasonable to hope that that same group of players is the best possible assembly of talent you could have?  When it works, it's unbeatable, but that's a lot of eggs in one big, Jesus-scented basket.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They (I only separate myself from them because I don't love the tone of the new program) are absolutely eating it up.  Though, there have been some rumblings about when the recruits who love what BV is building are going to, you know, actually commit...

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

The strategy might work for the Sooners if they planned to cherry-pick a couple big recruits, and then fill up the rest of their class with a solid set of regional studs left over after Texas, A&M, and LSU filled up their classes.

That might not work so well if the NCAA abolishes the 25-man signing limit. There'd be way fewer 3 and 4 star recruits leftover for them to pick through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 11:51 AM, Vertigo said:

It is a little baffling that OU has been caught this flat footed by everything, particularly since they are moving to the SEC.

Is it though?  The school that took all that Big XII money and is already broke?

 

546662399db1c.image.jpg?resize=400,267

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

OU 9.95er

It may not be final as of now, but it appears that OU and UT will likely be in the SEC in 2023, but no later than 2024.

OU coaches are reluctant to talk, but some top recruits have repeated 'hints; that 2023 is the initial year, with spring sports obviously jumping in 2024.

The elephant in the room is of course, money. Who pays what and how much? Apparently, some kind of deal has been worked out between the conference, (SEC) and the television networks. OU and UT may take a reduced payout for a few years relative to the other members to help solve the financial issues, but neither team would take less that what they would have received in the Big 12.

Of course until we get the official word, nothing is set in stone.

QUESTION: When will we know for sure? ANSWER: When the SEC, Joe C and UT make a joint announcement, or when an OU or UT coach confirms. But the final decision would be need to be made before the SEC releases the 2023 schedule this fall. The 2022 schedule was released on September 21, 2021 and we would expect a similar date this fall

Edited by Longhornfrenzy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 9:38 AM, Scholz said:

Is it though?  The school that took all that Big XII money and is already broke?

 

546662399db1c.image.jpg?resize=400,267

I wish I could find the photo of him looking rather regal in front of the Gaylord Stadium sign, but it seems to have been memory-holed from the interwebs. That guy is...something.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

OU 9.95er

UESTION: When will we know for sure? ANSWER: When the SEC, Joe C and UT make a joint announcement, or when an OU or UT coach confirms. But the final decision would be need to be made before the SEC releases the 2023 schedule this fall. The 2022 schedule was released on September 21, 2021 and we would expect a similar date this fall

He's the J-O-E to the C, ho

Call him JOE C, got more game than Coleco

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per 247 Venables stole him away from Charlotte and Campbell.  I think those are schools that play football.

He had a few nicer offers and has decent film, but not sure why OU felt the need to push.

OU is doing their coaches tour like Texas is right now, and Venables was talking yesterday about how deep the staffs relationships are with the......2024 class.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per 247 Venables stole him away from Charlotte and Campbell.  I think those are schools that play football.

Excuse me, you meant National Recruiting Powerhouse Campbell:

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently OU is having their big visit weekend the first week of June and are trying to load up on official visitors. Not sure that is the most wise strategy as they will be getting the first visit and not the last in a lot of recruitments, but here is the list so far:

Officials:

Five-star LB Anthony Hill - Denton (TX) Ryan

Four-star QB Jackson Arnold - Denton (TX) Guyer

Four-star OL Payton Kirkland - Orlando (FL) Dr. Phillips HS

Four-star DL Rueben Bain - Miami (FL) Central

Four-star DB Jacobe Johnson - Mustang (OK)

Four-star OL Wilkin Formby - Tuscaloosa (AL) Northridge

Four-star WR/ATH Jaden Greathouse - Austin (TX) Westlake

Four-star OL Brycen Sanders - Chattanooga (TN) Baylor School

Four-star DB Makari Vickers - Tallahassee (FL) John Paul II Catholic HS

Four-star WR Jaquaize Pettaway - Houston (TX) Langham Creek HS

Four-star OL Cayden Green - Lee Summit (MO) Lee Summit North HS

Three-star DB Tyler Turner - San Antonio (TX) Brennan HS

Three-star LB Phil Picciotti - Perkasie (PA) Pennridge Upper Senior HS

Three-star WR Anthony Evans - Converse (TX) Judson HS

Three-star DB Jalon Kilgore - Eatonton (GA) Putnam County

2023 OL Logan Howland - Princeton (NJ) Hun School

12COMMENTS

Unofficials:

2023 four-star DL Derrick Leblanc - Kissimmee (FL) Osceola HS

2023 four-star DL Jordan Renaud - Tyler (TX) Legacy

2023 four-star WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot - Temple (TX)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 4:35 PM, Big Woodrows said:

image.thumb.png.576eae0b54046741a11cdc0eb54295d1.png

 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:46 PM, Hookem2147 said:

Good luck in the SEC, Brent.

I know this is getting way ahead of the results, but OU may have f'ed this hire up. Time will tell, but this recruiting model probably won't work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

 

I know this is getting way ahead of the results, but OU may have f'ed this hire up. Time will tell, but this recruiting model probably won't work.

He'll adjust. Or he'll fail

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

He'll adjust. Or he'll fail

Agree. This policy of not letting commits take other visits coupled with OU's underwhelming NIL and "NIL" programs is crippling OU's recruiting.

Venables has shown the capacity to learn. He's already pivoted on his stance against heavily using the portal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, quigley said:

Agree. This policy of not letting commits take other visits coupled with OU's underwhelming NIL and "NIL" programs is crippling OU's recruiting.

Venables has shown the capacity to learn. He's already pivoted on his stance against heavily using the portal.

I'm not sure.. guy struggles making changes/adjusting his plan during games.  CheersÂ đŸŸÂ for that to continue on the trail as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, quigley said:

Agree. This policy of not letting commits take other visits coupled with OU's underwhelming NIL and "NIL" programs is crippling OU's recruiting.

Venables has shown the capacity to learn. He's already pivoted on his stance against heavily using the portal.

6h70a4.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 2:47 PM, Hookem2147 said:

So Drumm put together a full 2023 class prediction piece on *checks calendar* March 21st. I will spare you all the fluff he put in (he also included a confidence with each pick 1-10):

1. 4-star QB Jackson Arnold (9 of 10)

2. 4-star RB Tre Wisner (7 of 10)

3. 4-star WR Ashton Cozart (9.5 of 10)

4. 4-star WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot (4 of 10)

5. 4-star WR Kyle Kasper (3 of 10)

6. Juco WR Malik Benson (4 of 10)

7. 4-star OL Joshua Bates (didn't list a confidence but he's a commit)

8. 4-star OL Cayden Green (7 of 10)

9. 4-star Markis Deal (4 of 10)

10. 4-star Miles McVay (4.5 of 10)

11. 4-star DL Derrick LeBlanc (6.5 of 10)

12. 4-star DL Bai Jobe (7 of 10)

13. 4-star DL Kayden McDonald (7 of 10)

14. 4-star DL PJ Adebawore (7 of 10)

15. 4-star DL Jordan Renaud (8 of 10)

16. 5-star LB Anthony Hill (didn't list a confidence lol)

17. 3-star LB S'Maje Burrell (also didn't list a confidence lol)

18. 4-star DB Jacobe Johnson (8 of 10)

19. 4-star DB Dijon Johnson (3 of 10 lol)

20. 4-star ATH Micah Tease (doesn't list a confidence and also says that Tease is hesitant with OU. So not sure why Drumm even included him)

21. 3-star DB Samuel Omosigho (4.5 of 10)

22. 3-star Erik McCarty (no confidence listed but is a commit)

 

TLDR; Drumm has them penciled in for a top 5 class! Something OU hasn't done since 2010.

 

So OU247 came out with another mock class (not sure why they do this to themselves in June) and this one didn't have as much sunshine.

QB- Jackson Arnold

RB- Daylan Smothers (4-star), Dylan Edwards (3-star)

WR- Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Cole Adams (4-star), Anthony Evans (4-star)

TE- Kade McIntyre (3-star), Reid Mikeska (3-star)

OL- Cayden Green (top 100 player out of Florida, announcing next month), Payton Kirkland (4-star), Joshua Bates (3-star), Brycen Sanders (4-star)

DL- PJ Adebawore (4-star), Blake Purchase (4-star), Colton Vasek (4-star), Derrick LeBlanc (4-star), Kayden McDonald (4-star)

LB- Samuel Omosigho (3-star), Phil Picciotti (3-star), Kaleb Spencer (3-star)

DB- Peyton Bowen (committed to Notre Dame), Erik McCarty (3-star), Jalon Kilgore (3-star), Makari Vickers (4-star), Jacobe Johnson (4-star)

 

Jordan Renaud, Anthony Hill, Markis Deal, S'Maje Burrell, Bai Jobe are just a handful of high-level players who were in their class projection a month and a half ago that are now nowhere to be found.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

So OU247 came out with another mock class (not sure why they do this to themselves in June) and this one didn't have as much sunshine.

QB- Jackson Arnold

RB- Daylan Smothers (4-star), Dylan Edwards (3-star)

WR- Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Cole Adams (4-star), Anthony Evans (4-star)

TE- Kade McIntyre (3-star), Reid Mikeska (3-star)

OL- Cayden Green (top 100 player out of Florida, announcing next month), Payton Kirkland (4-star), Joshua Bates (3-star), Brycen Sanders (4-star)

DL- PJ Adebawore (4-star), Blake Purchase (4-star), Colton Vasek (4-star), Derrick LeBlanc (4-star), Kayden McDonald (4-star)

LB- Samuel Omosigho (3-star), Phil Picciotti (3-star), Kaleb Spencer (3-star)

DB- Peyton Bowen (committed to Notre Dame), Erik McCarty (3-star), Jalon Kilgore (3-star), Makari Vickers (4-star), Jacobe Johnson (4-star)

 

Jordan Renaud, Anthony Hill, Markis Deal, S'Maje Burrell, Bai Jobe are just a handful of high-level players who were in their class projection a month and a half ago that are now nowhere to be found.

They don't see themselves getting a bluechip from Norman? I know that happens to us a fair amount but for them that's wild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...