OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

OU is getting its ass whopped in recruiting in general. Venebles is taking "culture" fits and developmental pieces - just like at Clemson. However, they're not likely to end up with topflight offensive skill or DL talent like the Tigers did.

It also took Clemson 4 years to see the benefits of that approach and could do that because the ACC is a shitty conference. I doubt OU will give Venables 4 years and the SEC isn't the ACC. I see Venables as a Gary Gibbs type of coach.

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

OU is getting its ass whopped in recruiting in general. Venebles is taking "culture" fits and developmental pieces - just like at Clemson. However, they're not likely to end up with topflight offensive skill or DL talent like the Tigers did.

He got Schmidt. A lot of their “culture” is found in a needle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It also took Clemson 4 years to see the benefits of that approach and could do that because the ACC is a shitty conference. I doubt OU will give Venables 4 years and the SEC isn't the ACC. I see Venables as a Gary Gibbs type of coach.

It would be just terrible if OU timed a bad coaching hire transitioning into SEC. Just terrible . Anyways 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

All this PLUS a hyper-fixation on Christian messaging at a time when that could be extremely polarizing.  All it takes is one coach or staff member to come out with some idiotic celebration of the Roe decision and then your program is the center of a huge shitstorm.  Venables had better be 100% sure about this approach, or he's going to be asking Dabo for a job in a couple of years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, kilroydos said:

Venables had better be 100% sure about this approach, or he's going to be asking Dabo for a job in a couple of years.

Venables recruiting approach is very contrarian and without explanation. If he had a job which had real consequence to society, he may have already been fired.

Winning swaying players may be what Venables is counting on. He may have convinced himself that he can flip players late based on a playoff appearance plus the relationships he's has supposedly been building with them (while also losing their recruitments). Because the nation's fate doesn't rest on OU football winning or losing, I'm intrigue by this ridiculous strategy.

OU's softball coach Patty Gasso's built an idealized version of what he's apparently attempting. She openly states here team does Bible study together and that this bonds them and their purpose. Gasso has also has recruited the #1 high school pitcher AND #1 portal transfer pitcher in the nation the past 2 years, very different from what's happening for OU football.

Win or lose, OU's going to be interesting the next few years.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, quigley said:

Venables recruiting approach is very contrarian and without explanation. If he had a job which had real consequence to society, he may have already been fired.

Winning swaying players may be what Venables is counting on. He may have convinced himself that he can flip players late based on a playoff appearance plus the relationships he's has supposedly been building with them (while also losing their recruitments). Because the nation's fate doesn't rest on OU football winning or losing, I'm intrigue by this ridiculous strategy.

OU's softball coach Patty Gasso's built an idealized version of what he's apparently attempting. She openly states here team does Bible study together and that this bonds them and their purpose. Gasso has also has recruited the #1 high school pitcher AND #1 portal transfer pitcher in the nation the past 2 years, very different from what's happening for OU football.

Win or lose, OU's going to be interesting the next few years.

Wait you think OU is playoff bound this year?

I will say that OU football players spending their free time in Bible study and corny team building exercises is probably a lot safer for the general student population and residents of Norman than how previous iterations of the OU program chose to spend their time away from football. 

giphy.gif

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think he thinks BV thinks they will, or can, get to the playoffs. 

Lemme share a little fact about meth. It kinda eats at your reason. So totally unrealistic things not only seem possible. They could seem to be undeniable fact to the drug addled mind. 

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  You dorks in here crack me up.  It’s entertaining to go back and witness so many years of domination in this forum.  Then fast forward to the season and lulz galore.  Of course this time it’s Arch, so it’s gonna be totally different.  

shut the fuck up

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  You dorks in here crack me up.  It’s entertaining to go back and witness so many years of domination in this forum.  Then fast forward to the season and lulz galore.  Of course this time it’s Arch, so it’s gonna be totally different.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Big talk from a stepping stone program. Must be tough knowing that if Venables is successful, he will probably just get hired away by a real football school. 

I’m just jealous I don’t care as much as ‘you people’.  That goes for the OU fans that follow shit this closely as well.  If OU lost at home to KU, I’d be checked the fuck out for a long ass time.  So props to you all for fighting the good fight.  I just like to drive by here time to time…you know rile up the masses, and skedaddle.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 11:33 PM, kilroydos said:

All this PLUS a hyper-fixation on Christian messaging at a time when that could be extremely polarizing.  All it takes is one coach or staff member to come out with some idiotic celebration of the Roe decision and then your program is the center of a huge shitstorm.  Venables had better be 100% sure about this approach, or he's going to be asking Dabo for a job in a couple of years.

I don’t see that being an issue, even if such a celebration were to occur. 

• blacklab changed the title to OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going