Cuomo

Incredulity

7 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes, the current Republican party's virtuous stance of having no moral compass governing its own but a laser focus on the conduct of others is--not hypocritical.

You misunderstood me (you seem to do that a lot): I'm saying that the Republicans having no moral compass (as you said) means that they aren't being hypocritical when not acting with a moral compass (again, your characterization). The Dems have a few identity/governing principles that are well recorded, so when something happens counter to those, they are compelled to act in concert lest they lose the confidence via legitimacy and trust of their people by being shown to be hypocrites. In my mind simple politics dictated that it was never a question of if but when Cuomo would be rejected for this after the report was released. 

There is nothing unfair or even comparable to what the other side is doing or would do, politically speaking, with a similar scandal because the Dems and Republicans are set up on such different frameworks that they are apples and oranges these days (which is not defending the republicans, just pointing out how completely different their political instinct and machine is-- which is a net negative these days if 2020 election tells us anything and the Dems are politically smarter).

• Fuck You 2

Meanwhile, MTG is out there purposely trying to kill people with vaccine disinformation, and should be the easiest slam dunk (a do nothing psychopath representative who will never have any real power) shit-canning that the GOP could ever do to distance themselves from the worst of the worst nut job conspiracy theorists within their party who have chased away the suburbs and educated vote. And they do nothing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Meanwhile, MTG is out there purposely trying to kill people with vaccine disinformation, and should be the easiest slam dunk (a do nothing psychopath representative who will never have any real power) shit-canning that the GOP could ever do to distance themselves from the worst of the worst nut job conspiracy theorists within their party who have chased away the suburbs and educated vote. And they do nothing.

Do nothing?  Pretty sure they are grooming her to be Trumps VP in 2024.  

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I agree with you.

I don't understand those who ever thought that the Dem party had a choice; they've been boxed into having to push out folks for certain flavors of scandals. If they didn't, yet still campaigned upon and build their identity around certain social movements, then they would cease to exist as a legitimate voice. Republicans have no such hypocritical concerns-- it's a feature and not a bug of their platform. It's a liquid, T1000 political body versus the Arnold Terminator.

Cuomo being gone though, I don't think any stakeholders-- New Yorkers, Democrats, etc.-- will shed a tear. Next man up.

You talking about the party of family values in your stupid ass post?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Let's call it what it is - he's a fucking Italian.  Not quite as bad as some bog jumping Irishman, but even Cuomo admitted the Italian part out loud today.

🤌🏻🤌🏻

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

You misunderstood me (you seem to do that a lot): I'm saying that the Republicans having no moral compass (as you said) means that they aren't being hypocritical when not acting with a moral compass (again, your characterization). The Dems have a few identity/governing principles that are well recorded, so when something happens counter to those, they are compelled to act in concert lest they lose the confidence via legitimacy and trust of their people by being shown to be hypocrites. In my mind simple politics dictated that it was never a question of if but when Cuomo would be rejected for this after the report was released. 

There is nothing unfair or even comparable to what the other side is doing or would do, politically speaking, with a similar scandal because the Dems and Republicans are set up on such different frameworks that they are apples and oranges these days (which is not defending the republicans, just pointing out how completely different their political instinct and machine is-- which is a net negative these days if 2020 election tells us anything and the Dems are politically smarter).

They criticize and call for resignation of any dem that is caught in this situation but never call for their own in the same situations. That is hypocrisy.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No it's not. I can explain it to you again, but I can't make you understand it.

Lol, yeah, you so smart. I get the first part. Lacking morals, it's not hypocritical when Republicans refuse to step down when they are caught, because they never call on other republicans to resign when they are caught. But when they ask for dems to resign when they get caught, it is hypocritical. By definition. You're theory only works if they are silent when dems are caught, and they are not.

20 minutes ago, SKJ said:

I think what he's getting at is that if you have absolutely no morals,  you cannot be a hypocrite 

See above.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Hochul was a battleground representative (NY-26) and has been LG since 2015.  First female governor of New York.  

The hidden benefit of this:  Cuomo's presidential aspirations are done and tanked.  No offense to New York, but no more NYers as president for a while. 

Edit: Funny enough, she won that NY-26 seat when the Republican resigned in 2011 because he sent shirtless photos of himself to a woman he met on Craigslist.  Looks like she knows how to reassure voters she's not a fucking creepy dude. 

Rosie The Riveter Woman GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Fucking finally!  And we have a woman governor.  It is pretty piss poor that it has taken New York State this long to have a female governor, almost as bad as NYC never having had a female mayor.  Lot of misogynistic assholes up in this state and city.

The first female governor of a Big 5 state (I assume that is Texas, California, Illinois or PA, NY and Florida) since Ann Richards.  In fact, Ma Ferguson, Ann Richards and Kathy Hochul will be the only 3 ever.  California, Florida, Illinois/PA have never had one. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol, yeah, you so smart. I get the first part. Lacking morals, it's not hypocritical when Republicans refuse to step down when they are caught, because they never call on other republicans to resign when they are caught. But when they ask for dems to resign when they get caught, it is hypocritical. By definition. You're theory only works if they are silent when dems are caught, and they are not.

See above.

Somehow you grasped it but then failed to grasp it at the same time. It's like you are in the quantum realm. I'm not sure how to be more clear than SKJ and Hayden. Or maybe it's you don't understand the fundamental and basic definition of hypocritical here.

Calling on Dems to act in a manner that logically follows from how they've intentionally structured (in this case, building an identity around some social issues) is not hypocritical because the GQP have not a) structured their political machine in that way and then failed to act (where they've failed to act, it is consistent with their lack of morals) and b) their calling on the Dems to be consistent in policing their own based off their political charter is them simply rubbing salt into a political wound and being ugly-- it's being a poor sport.

The only way it would be hypocritical is if the GQP said they were all about policing their own and then when a scandal happened, they acted as they do now. They avoid that level of prosecution (and thus charge of hypocrisy) because they have no morals.

Now, if you want to say that the Dems should (rightfully) tell the GQP to pound sand and shut their mouths because they have no moral clout or standing to comment, then that is fair. It is not hypocritical, however.

Make sense?

Edited by DonkeyCigars

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

OK Chrispy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Somehow you grasped it but then failed to grasp it at the same time. It's like you are in the quantum realm. I'm not sure how to be more clear than SKJ and Hayden. Or maybe it's you don't understand the fundamental and basic definition of hypocritical here.

Calling on Dems to act in a manner that logically follows from how they've intentionally structured (in this case, building an identity around some social issues) is not hypocritical because the GQP have not a) structured their political machine in that way and then failed to act (where they've failed to act, it is consistent with their lack of morals) and b) their calling on the Dems to be consistent in policing their own based off their political charter is them simply rubbing salt into a political wound and being ugly-- it's being a poor sport.

The only way it would be hypocritical is if the GQP said they were all about policing their own and then when a scandal happened, they acted as they do now. They avoid that level of prosecution (and thus charge of hypocrisy) because they have no morals.

Now, if you want to say that the Dems should (rightfully) tell the GQP to pound sand and shut their mouths because they have no moral clout or standing to comment, then that is fair. It is not hypocritical, however.

Make sense?

The people who you're trying to explain can't be hypocritical because they're gelatinous, shape-shifting pieces of shit are the exact same people you wish were in office.

Seriously...the fuck is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The people who you're trying to explain can't be hypocritical because they're gelatinous, shape-shifting pieces of shit are the exact same people you wish were in office.

I guess I just wanted to help someone understand something that they were struggling with. I wasn't trying to defend anyone. Maybe just being pedantic, which is boring and I now feel shame for that. Mea Culpa Senor Mustachio.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Ah yes.  The “at least Republicans aren’t hypocrites when they molest people because they’re not against molestation” defense.  You have to admit it’s a powerful argument.

Thanks for posting this-- it never gets old. Norm is a national treasure and we must protect him at all costs.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

An entire diaspora because you guys couldn't grow dirt apples? This is why I'm a staunch believer in limiting immigration -- the goddamned Green Stain. 

Oh fuck that noise. The brits systematically starved the Irish during the blight.  It was almost genocide.  On the tour of the Ring of Kerry in southwestern Ireland you can still see the potato furrows from the blight seasons.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I'm not going to get into the semantics of the meaning of hypocrisy here, but I'd just like you to clarify: You don't believe the Republican Party pretends to represent the Moral Majority, Judeo/Christian Values, or Family Values. Is that a correct interpretation of your remarks? Yes or no?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh fuck that noise. The brits systematically starved the Irish during the blight.  It was almost genocide.  On the tour of the Ring of Kerry in southwestern Ireland you can still see the potato furrows from the blight seasons.

It wasn't almost genocide. What the English did meets the textbook definition of our modern understanding:

First, the crime of genocide is characterised by the specific intent to destroy in whole or in part a national, ethnic, racial or religious group by killing its members or by other means: causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group; deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part; imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group; or forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The problem with your statement on Republican values or lack thereof is that one of the few things they claim is god/Christianity, which in and of itself encompasses a litany of moral and behavioral standards that are Ben stricter in many senses than what the democrats hold dear. Abortion being the most obvious example of the latter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

My god, it must turn your stomach to read the political boards at Texags or listen to the loudest of your fellow alumni. This is not dig at you; it's just an observation.

3 hours ago, SKJ said:

I think what he's getting at is that if you have absolutely no morals,  you cannot be a hypocrite 

Perfectly stated.  Should be inscribed in stone in the rubble of the Capitol after the next (successful) violent overthrow attempt.  And....

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

.....a whole lot of this.  The exact same people that he acknowledges have literally ZERO moral compass.....he votes for, for MORAL REASONS.

The party of "pro-life" actively prevents local governments from taking action intended to protect human life and safety, yet Donkey votes for them because that party is.....pro-life.

The fucking cognitive dissonance has reached a point of black-hole-singularity, and is swallowing and destroying everything within its massive gravity well.  Donkey and his ilk are completely fucking broken brained, and they are going to destroy us all in pursuit of.....they don't even fucking know.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A 4 year immersion therapy session likely acclimated him pretty well. 

My aggy friends came out more liberal.  They think those people are fucking crazy - they just couldn't get into better PE programs and took the money.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The only way it would be hypocritical is if the GQP said they were all about policing their own and then when a scandal happened, they acted as they do now.

Your premise seems built on an assumption that people won't do the right thing for its own sake. Dems do it to fulfill their political identity? That seems like a likely cynical projection of the GOP scorched earth creed.

When the scandal finally comes fully to light the GQP is in the pocket of big donors from here and abroad and have become a criminal organization, can they hold their heads high and say, "at least we're not hypocrites. We never said we weren't a criminal organization loaded with treasonous, sociopathic megalomaniacs"?

What exactly is the point in making your strange point? Virtue is ever a brokered political strategy?

You seem tangled in some absurdly tiny web of irrelevant sophistry.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They did the same thing in India. The English really enjoyed starving people for money.

To be fair, we (both as a state and a union) did some serious genociding ourselves.

But, back on point, since the GQP no longer purports to be a party of morals according to Donkey, I guess social conservatives can join fiscal ones in no longer having a political home - although certain flavors of each could join the moderate wing of the Democratic Party come to think of it if they believed in being decent humans and broadly pay-as-you-go fiscal policy like raising taxes to pay for shit.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:43 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

.....How could we have witnessed these same qualities—in Cuomo’s case, the narcissism, the bullying, the hackneyed paternalism—and found them attractive?

Goldner went on to untangle some of the more baffling behavior in the A.G.’s report. Why would an eligible bachelor, who could presumably date any woman he wanted, choose to kiss, grope, and flirt with office underlings against their will? Why would a skilled politician risk it all to stroke the stomach of a state trooper, or to make lewd comments (“Gentle but accurate, I’ve heard that before”) to a doctor who was giving him a covid swab? Was he actually trying to seduce these women? Probably not, Goldner said. “Sexual harassment is not so much about sexual satisfaction. That’s not necessarily its goal.” Instead, it’s a kind of “sadomasochistic flirtation.” The harasser enjoys creating sexual tension in the workplace, but what he really likes is the psychological torment. The harassed subordinates are forced to live in a state of fear and confusion, wondering if today will be the day the boss crosses the line again. “They’re likely always thinking about him, worrying about him, and it’s ruining their lives,” Goldner said. “On the other hand, he might have no memory of these incidents. He gets an impulse, he tortures somebody—startles them, shames them, whatever sadistic game he’s playing that day—and then he goes back to running the state.” She quoted Henry Kissinger, noting that power is an aphrodisiac. That’s true, but it’s really “the sensation of power relative to powerlessness,” she said—power over someone else.

Donkey...You....FUCKING....VOTED.....FOR THAT EXACT SET OF TRAITS.

TWICE.

YOU FUCKING EVIL TWIT.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

When the scandal finally comes fully to light the GQP is in the pocket of big donors from here and abroad and have become a criminal organization, can they hold their heads high and say, "at least we're not hypocrites. We never said we weren't a criminal organization loaded with treasonous, sociopathic megalomaniacs"?

Ummm....that's exactly what they're saying.  It's what Donkey admits.

And here's the kicker -- HE FUCKING REWARDS THEM WITH HIS VOTE.

The outright fucking evil is a goddamned VIRTUE to these twisted fucks who support the GQP, and vote for it religiously.  It's a feature, not a bug.

• Hook 'Em 2