Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

Rishi gave the speech in the rain. What a buffoon.

his big program is sending asylum seekers to Rwanda, and so far there have been 0 sent. And many think the UK courts will never allow it. Imagine that you’re an Irish citizen seeking asylum in the UK, and the govt sends you to a camp in sub-Saharan Africa while deciding your case.

and the Tories main “successful” program was leading the Brexit vote and implementation of it.  They pretty much failed at everything and I imagine they will get destroyed in the polls.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I will be in London that day.  Should be fun.  Maybe we can have a drinking results watch at a pub.

If you don't go out to see the canvasing results for Uxbridge and South Ruislip to witness firsthand how Lord Buckethead performs, well . . . you're just not the Penelope Witherspoon I thought I knew and admired.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Rishi gave the speech in the rain. What a buffoon.

his big program is sending asylum seekers to Rwanda, and so far there have been 0 sent. And many think the UK courts will never allow it. Imagine that you’re an Irish citizen seeking asylum in the UK, and the govt sends you to a camp in sub-Saharan Africa while deciding your case.

and the Tories main “successful” program was leading the Brexit vote and implementation of it.  They pretty much failed at everything and I imagine they will get destroyed in the polls.

John Oliver had a piece about that not too long ago. This is the only part I could find that's free and publicly available. The bit goes on to show the housing that was built in Rwanda with UK tax dollars, where no refugees live, and the Rwandan government is apparently selling off units to locals.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

If you don't go out to see the canvasing results for Uxbridge and South Ruislip to witness firsthand how Lord Buckethead performs, well . . . you're just not the Penelope Witherspoon I thought I knew and admired.

So far, neither Lord Buckethead or Count Binface have declared for the general.  

50 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So far, neither Lord Buckethead or Count Binface have declared for the general.  

British democracy--and democracy worldwide, to be honest--really are on the decline, aren't they?

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't have happened to a bigger douche bag. 

It seems like the milkshake jokes would just write themselves on this one, but damned if I have anything. Kind of the reverse "I drink your milkshake" vibe on this one.

AP article says nothing about it being requested, but it is now required since they bailed.

And, in the characteristic hypocrisy you should expect from the conservative Murdoch-owned, Brexit-backing tabloid, which lied to the British public about the queen endorsing Brexit, The Sun had a minor hissy fit:

British tabloid The Sun called the incident "a ridiculous moment” and said paratroopers on a D-Day jump were “forced to show PASSPORTS to French border chiefs after anniversary drop.”

They wanted a hard border, and they got it, much like all the British tourists who complain about all the new border controls when they go on holiday in Spain.

It's not total Schadenfreude from my end, though. I do think the British public was hoodwinked by the Russian-backed Brexit campaign (many motivated racist and xenophobic sentiments), and it's clear now that a majority regret the stupid decision.

image.png.7142b21ec1874c44b03956a0e3898245.png

I look up Keep-Britain-British Farage's family name, and the Google said it was from Luxembourg. Not even a proper French name from the Normans or Angevins who'd fit right in, nor some mumbling Dane from the Danelaw. Luxembourg. Nice enough place I'm sure, but any waiter from Mallorca would know more about being British and you don't see any of them running for office, no, no you don't do you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

37 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I look up Keep-Britain-British Farage's family name, and the Google said it was from Luxembourg. Not even a proper French name from the Normans or Angevins who'd fit right in, nor some mumbling Dane from the Danelaw. Luxembourg. Nice enough place I'm sure, but any waiter from Mallorca would know more about being British and you don't see any of them running for office, no, no you don't do you.

Hung out in Belgium with a Walloon meuf, a French gonzesse, and a Luxembourgish mec for a week or so. We took a 48-hour excursion to Amsterdam because none of them spoke English very well, and they wanted me there to translate a certain "transaction" for them with the knowledge that everyone speaks perfect English in the Netherlands.

The Luxemburger was a nice enough guy, short and un peu timide. Weird Frenchified German language they got in their little corner of the world. You could even say it's kinda Frankish.

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

AP article says nothing about it being requested, but it is now required since they bailed.

And, in the characteristic hypocrisy you should expect from the conservative Murdoch-owned, Brexit-backing tabloid, which lied to the British public about the queen endorsing Brexit, The Sun had a minor hissy fit:

British tabloid The Sun called the incident "a ridiculous moment” and said paratroopers on a D-Day jump were “forced to show PASSPORTS to French border chiefs after anniversary drop.”

They wanted a hard border, and they got it, much like all the British tourists who complain about all the new border controls when they go on holiday in Spain.

It's not total Schadenfreude from my end, though. I do think the British public was hoodwinked by the Russian-backed Brexit campaign (many motivated racist and xenophobic sentiments), and it's clear now that a majority regret the stupid decision.

image.png.7142b21ec1874c44b03956a0e3898245.png

And America still sits here about to maybe reelect our moron choice. The Brits may be dumb and gullible, but we are SO much more so. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

And America still sits here about to maybe reelect our moron choice. The Brits may be dumb and gullible, but we are SO much more so. 

I've given a good deal of thought to this. When the UK voted for Brexit in June 1016, it was like a harbinger for Trump a few months later. In parallel, and maybe not so coincidentally, we saw Baylor fans go fucking psychotic in their defense of Briles leading up to both the Brexit and Teump votes.

Is it something in the air? Is there some sort of infection that overtakes the Anglosphere or the West periodically? Will thw pending EU Parliament elections this month be a similar signal? Or the UK elections in July?

I know two points don't necessarily make a trend line, but I'm on watch for both of those.

• Hook 'Em 1

This summer when we were leaving France going to GB on the chunnel train, there were two lines at the passport control: one for EU citizens, one for everybody else. Some idiot from Great Britain gets in the EU line, then throws a hissy when he finally gets to the front and is told he is in the wrong line and will have to wait in line again in the correct, non-EU line. Customs guy says real loud "Hey you voted for Brexit, not me"

Everybody in both lines laughed at his dumb ass. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This summer when we were leaving France going to GB on the chunnel train, there were two lines at the passport control: one for EU citizens, one for everybody else. Some idiot from Great Britain gets in the EU line, then throws a hissy when he finally gets to the front and is told he is in the wrong line and will have to wait in line again in the correct, non-EU line. Customs guy says real loud "Hey you voted for Brexit, not me"

Everybody in both lines laughed at his dumb ass. 

He didn't think that through, much like our own homegrown leopard face-eating dolts. 

PM Rishi left the D-Day ceremonies early so that he could make an interview in London. I mean a press interview not one for his next job later this summer.  He’s already apologized for it.

forgetting that it’s incredibly disrespectful to all military vets, he had a opportunity for photos with other world leaders in France. Instead he asked David Cameron to step in for the photo ops. As a world leader, who needs votes in an election in 5 weeks, you want to stand next to other world leaders that presumably carry some respect in the UK.

It’s like the last couple of conservative PMs are actually double agents for Labour. You can’t make up the constant unforced errors they commit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

Hung out in Belgium with a Walloon meuf, a French gonzesse, and a Luxembourgish mec for a week or so. We took a 48-hour excursion to Amsterdam because none of them spoke English very well, and they wanted me there to translate a certain "transaction" for them with the knowledge that everyone speaks perfect English in the Netherlands.

The Luxemburger was a nice enough guy, short and un peu timide. Weird Frenchified German language they got in their little corner of the world. You could even say it's kinda Frankish.

Frankly, Bolverk, who gives a damn.

just hung out in Dublin for a few days and there's definitely a sense among the locals there of laughing at and/or shaking their heads at Brexit, as in:

tenor(1).gif.b790658e933bef6ff52ea1f6969eda6d.gif

the one thing that kept coming up was just what a boon it has been for Ireland in particular as they are the only remaining english-speaking country in the EU. apparently many international corps have or are in the process of moving from UK to Ireland, and the accompanying construction and growth boom is very visible in Dublin. 

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s like the last couple of conservative PMs are actually double agents for Labour. You can’t make up the constant unforced errors they commit.

Or maybe conservatives are just disrespectful, disingenuous, pieces of shit.  British, American, French...seems to be the case, over and over.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mchookem said:

just hung out in Dublin for a few days and there's definitely a sense among the locals there of laughing at and/or shaking their heads at Brexit, as in:

the one thing that kept coming up was just what a boon it has been for Ireland in particular as they are the only remaining english-speaking country in the EU. apparently many international corps have or are in the process of moving from UK to Ireland, and the accompanying construction and growth boom is very visible in Dublin. 

Ireland also has stupid tax laws that favor the shit out of corporations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, mchookem said:

WELCOME HOME!

Loved all the photos in your thread.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mchookem said:

Well God damnit, Biff already said it.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Conservatives fall to 3rd in opinion poll. Of course it’s nuts that it’s Farage’s party, Reform UK, that has moved into the 2nd spot. Reform UK is basically Brexit hardliners who want to deport anyone that doesn’t look like them.

The poll by YouGov for the Times newspaper put Reform UK on 19%, up from 17% previously, and the Conservative Party unchanged on 18%. The opposition Labour Party topped the poll with 37%

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/reform-uk-overtakes-pm-sunaks-conservatives-opinion-poll-2024-06-13/