Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

•no shooters

This is a bit of a reach. We don't have any elite shooters on the team but Ramey and AJ are combining for 3.2 makes on 9.0 attempts a game. That's more than serviceable in the college game. 

Bishop is clearly the best athlete on the team but he isn't a great athlete by big time college basketball standards. I think Timmy is also an underrated athlete but he's undersized and athletic in a way that doesn't really jump out at you. 

Agree with your larger point - I've been saying it all year. BUT - I don't want to sell these kids too short as I think for the most part they have been playing their asses off. I'm not sure any of them will sniff the NBA but that's okay. 

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Who was it that called Ltxfan the retarded Machinator? 

I have no issue with Ltxfan but that still cracks me up. 

@futureman

Just now, ztejas said:

This is a bit of a reach. We don't have any elite shooters on the team but Ramey and AJ are combining for 3.2 makes on 9.0 attempts a game. That's more than serviceable in the college game. 

Bishop is clearly the best athlete on the team but he isn't a great athlete by big time college basketball standards. I think Timmy is also an underrated athlete but he's undersized and athletic in a way that doesn't really jump out at you. 

Agree with your larger point - I've been saying it all year. BUT - I don't want to sell these kids too short as I think for the most part they have been playing their asses off. I'm not sure any of them will sniff the NBA but that's okay. 

@futureman

Timmy got old man game. That’s what you described lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Against the KU dude, yeah.  Otherwise, I'd say he's a 3-point chucker.

I wouldn't call Ramey a chucker. He's the best shooter on the team (unfortunately). He mostly takes good looks from 3 unless it's a possession where the O has bogged down and we're late in the shot clock (i.e. he's a shooting guard...). And even if he is a little chucky he's been phenomenal on D all year - not just against Agbaji. 

Carr is the only dude I might label a chucker but I actually think he makes fairly good decisions with the ball, too. 

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

@futureman

those guys aren't shooters. they shoot nice percentages, but that doesn't make you a shooter. Here's a quick breakdown of the number of how many times they've made x amount of threes in a game this year:

Ramey: 

26 games played 

Threes made in one game:

4- three times

3- 2 times

2- 7 times 

1- 5 times

0- 8 times 

Jones:

25 games played

Threes made in one game:

4- 3 times 

3- 4 times 

2- 5 times

1- 7 times

0- 6 times 

compare that to someone like Nijel Pack who is shooting 44% on 7.5 3PA per game. that's a true shooter. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

those guys aren't shooters. they shoot nice percentages, but that doesn't make you a shooter. Here's a quick breakdown of the number of how many times they've made x amount of threes in a game this year:

Ramey: 

26 games played 

Threes made in one game:

4- three times

3- 2 times

2- 7 times 

1- 5 times

0- 8 times 

Jones:

25 games played

Threes made in one game:

4- 3 times 

3- 4 times 

2- 5 times

1- 7 times

0- 6 times 

compare that to someone like Nijel Pack who is shooting 44% on 7.5 3PA per game. that's a true shooter. 

Gotcha. I agree. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I wouldn't call Ramey a chucker. He's the best shooter on the team (unfortunately). He mostly takes good looks from 3 unless it's a possession where the O has bogged down and we're late in the shot clock (i.e. he's a shooting guard...). And even if he is a little chucky he's been phenomenal on D all year - not just against Agbaji. 

Carr is the only dude I might label a chucker but I actually think he makes fairly good decisions with the ball, too. 

Ramey's 3pt FG% is 5 percentage pts below last season, howevah, his overall FG% is up 5 percentage points in 2022.  He cut his T/O's in half,  and that's significant- even if he's playing 5 fewer minute per game.

He is more efficient on the offensive end than he was, and then there's the defense.

Timmy getting some love from Bilas in his article ranking the top 68 teams. 

17. Texas Longhorns

The Longhorns are an interesting case study. Chris Beard brought in several leading scorers from different teams to form one team in Austin, and expectations were high. But, those expectations were ours, not necessarily Beard's. Beard was realistic and confident. He did not project his team as top 5 at the beginning of the year, we did that. And, we were overly enthusiastic. Texas is good, especially on the defensive end. The Longhorns are physical, contest everything and are simply no fun to play against. Texas forces turnovers with the best of them, ranking in the top 10 in making opponents cough up the ball and turning defense into offense. One player to watch is Timmy Allen, the transfer from Utah who was All-Pac 12 for the Utes ("Did you say Utes?"). Allen moves without the ball as well as any player in the game, and is in constant motion on the floor. When there is a drive, he cuts hard and intelligently, and his mid-range game is terrific. He is a model of how to play off the ball and move without it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33281961/jay-bilas-unveils-1-68-men-college-basketball-rankings-version-20

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Bilas is an idiot and this article just confirms that he pays very little attention to non-blue bloods. Every Big 12 team on that list is too low, save for Baylor, who he makes injury excuses for and ignores them for the rest of the conference's teams.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Bilas is an idiot and this article just confirms that he pays very little attention to non-blue bloods. Every Big 12 team on that list is too low, save for Baylor, who he makes injury excuses for and ignores them for the rest of the conference's teams.

I may not agree with Bilas all of the time, and those ranking can be disputed, but I wouldnt call him an idiot. I actually think he's one of the best cbb commentators going.

36 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I may not agree with Bilas all of the time, and those ranking can be disputed, but I wouldnt call him an idiot. I actually think he's one of the best cbb commentators going.

He is a good commentator on things he is knowledgeable about. He is willfully ignorant of the circumstances under which most of the teams he cover play, unless they are the Dukes or UNCs or Kentuckys of the world.

How about I bury a few beers at 11:00a, bury Texas Tech at 1:00p, and then help my friend memorialize his mother at 2:00p?  

She wanted to have her "celebration of life" ceremony on campus, and he's having a couple TV's brought in so early arrivers/OT possibility can see the game end.  She was a Longhorn thru and thru . 

Also, fuck the Red Raiders.  

Edited by Lobo

So... I've only watched a few games here and there and have a question....  Do we have a scorer that isn't Jones?  He seems like the only person who can go get points on his own.

It may just be the games I watched, but it seems like if Jones rolled an ankle or got shut down, we'd struggle to score.

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So... I've only watched a few games here and there and have a question....  Do we have a scorer that isn't Jones?  He seems like the only person who can go get points on his own.

It may just be the games I watched, but it seems like if Jones rolled an ankle or got shut down, we'd struggle to score.

Scoring can be an issue. From my perspective, Jones isn’t the guy I think of as irreplaceable. For one thing, the team’s identity is based on defense, whether right or wrong, and he’s simply not one of our better backcourt defenders, although he’s improved. Allen is the main scorer, if there is one. If the matchup is right he will sometimes initiate the offense, although he struggles against elite on the ball defenders. For all the crap he gets, Carr is still the main guy. He’s not elite at driving the ball to the basket, but he can get off that fadeaway jump shot of his almost any time he wants. It’s just not a shot you want to base an offense around, hence the struggles his team at Minnesota had last year. 

Ramey can also be aggressive with the ball. I feel like Jones is probably the team’s best shooter, although it’s streaky. The offense has become better at finding cutters going to the basket in the last handful of games, so that helps. 

It’s not the team strength, for sure. But it has improved, at least. The players seem more comfortable running the offensive sets, to my eye. Having said that, we were just destroyed by Baylor in Waco last Saturday, and Tech probably has the best defense in the conference. They like putting out lineup that’s 6’5 to 6’8 at all 5 positions, aggressively switch on every pick, and attack the passing lanes intently. It’s not a fun matchup, tbh. It will be a huge win if Texas can come out on top, regardless of how they do it. 

Watching the team be as clutch as they were against KU, and then finding a way to get across the finish line versus Tennessee and OU have been very fulfilling. Hoping for something similar on Saturday morning. 

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, Js1 said:

I should say, that KSU loss may have given this team a good learning opportunity on how to close out games by hitting your FTs late - we followed it up with closing out the Tenn game after blowing a huge lead (TA hitting a FT with 6 seconds left to give us the lead) and then KU (Carr hitting the 2 FT with 6 seconds left). 

Js1--  Wanted to bump your great post above forward. 

It does feel like this team is improving in how they play late in games.  Was really great to see Texas close out the blOU game in overtime on the road.

Definitely some recent positive offensive growth signs from this Texas team in the wins against  KU and blOU.  

On 2/16/2022 at 4:48 PM, Js1 said:

Timmy got old man game. That’s what you described lol

PJ Tucker game I think they accurately described it in the game. If you are an athletic undersized big, be good at disappearing. He has that skill. Slips away from his guy to be uncovered for a simple put back. It won us the OU game on his put back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jinx said:

PJ Tucker game I think they accurately described it in the game. If you are an athletic undersized big, be good at disappearing. He has that skill. Slips away from his guy to be uncovered for a simple put back. It won us the OU game on his put back. 

he also scores (with efficiency) from areas where almost nobody else does. he has an array of finished that he can use with either hand in the paint, and his touch from 6-15 feet is unusually deft. he scores quietly, because he doesn't shoot threes and he doesn't dunk the ball. he scores off of putbacks and floaters and wide open 15 footers. he takes shots that opposing defenses generally want their opponent to take, only he makes them with regularity. i really enjoy watching him play, as there aren't many players like him anymore. 

6 hours ago, jinx said:

There are some similarities, but there are major differences. PJ Tucker was a legitimate low block post scorer in college, even undersized. He was a physical presence on the court in a way Allen isn’t. 

Allen is also a much better assist man than PJ. He’s not going to get to the foul line as often as PJ did, he’s not as good of a defender in the low post against someone much bigger than himself, but he’s a much better initiator of the offense because he sees the floor better, he has a much better mid range game, and he can take more defenders off the dribble (although PJ was an underrated ball handler). Allen is more of a sneaky rebounder, although they’re both sneaky. But PJ was a world class athlete who could outrebound opponents purely through his athleticism, strength, and tenacity. Allen is much better coming from the off side.

The best way for me to phrase it is that PJ was a legitimate 4 in college, whereas Allen is at his best when defended by an opponent’s wing. 

PJ is also a different animal in the NBA. One of the most impressive transformations I can ever remember seeing. Allen would do well to follow PJ’s path in that regard. If Allen could develop a deadly spot up 3 point shot he could find himself with a long career. 

We really need to take advantage of what is left on our schedule - take care of business at home against Tech and TCU, dropkick that fat fuck Huggy Bear in Morgantown and we should be a 4 seed.  Hell, split the Baylor/KU games left and things get real fun.

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

2/18 update from Lunardi

4 seed in Portland (5 seed Ohio St)

tech the 2 seed in FW

With Shaka, no less.  Buncha folks from Austin would make the trip to root on Marquette, right?  LOL

11 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Is there any update on Tre Mitchell? 

Nope. Beard had a media availability yesterday where he talked about the Tech game among other things. None of the reporters brought up Mitchell, but Beard did briefly, just saying that the whole team and coaching staff support him and his family during this time, and didn't say anything else about it.

• Hook 'Em 1