2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

There is no universe where the Tigers or Twins should be able to pry a hometown hero away from us for financial reasons.  None.

I needed to drag this back up.

"Financial reasons" are why most everyone in the league does anything.  Seriously not sure if serious

How do we set our rotation? Here’s an interesting discussion on the subject:

As the Astros try to set their pitching rotation for the American League Division Series against the White Sox, there are lots of moving parts to consider.

The team's top four starters seem easy enough to decipher: Lance McCullers (13-5, 3.16 ERA), Framber Valdez (11-6, 3.14), Luis Garcia (11-8, 3.80) and Jose Urquidy (8-3, 3.62).

The decisions after that winnowing is where it gets really difficult.

First off: Do you really need a four-man rotation in a five-game ALDS? With days off after Games 2 and 4, you could have your Game 1 starter pitch in Game 4 on three days' rest, and have your Game 2 starter pitching on full rest for a potential fifth and deciding game.

If you decide a three-man rotation is the way to go against the White Sox, then do you fiddle with the order and have Valdez go in Game 1 and McCullers in Game 2? McCullers has been the Astros' best starter, but Valdez is known to have a more durable arm that bounces back quickly. That may make him a more reliable Game 4 starter on three days' rest, and allow you to have McCullers ready to go on full rest in a win-or-go home Game 5.

Going with a three-man rotation also pushes Urquidy into a bullpen that surely could use the help and would have him possibly ready to help eat up several key innings if the Game 4 starter tires quickly due to the short rest.

If you decide you like your starting pitching depth and would rather not have anyone pitching on short rest, then you go with the quartet of McCullers, Valdez, Garcia and Urquidy. That would make McCullers the obvious Game 1 starter since it would allow him to start again in Game 5. Valdez would seem to be the obvious No. 2, except that Garcia has pitched noticeably better at home than he has on the road. His 2.39 ERA at Minute Maid Park compared to a 4.24 ERA on the road could be enough to slide Garcia in as the No. 2 starter and save Valdez for Game 3.

Although not likely candidates to start any games in the ALDS, there's also the case for Zack Greinke and Jake Odorizzi. Greinke pitched out of the bullpen in Sunday's regular season finale and seems set to assume that role in the ALDS. Odorizzi is in danger of being left off the playoff roster completely.

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not surprised they went with the chalk. The more I think about it though the more I think I’d have gone Framber, Lance, garcia (Urquidy if I didn’t need him in the first two games for multiple innings) Framber Lance. 

It's tough because things fall off so dramatically after Lance and Framber.  I don't like the idea of pitching either of LMJ or Framber on short rest as you're asking for a 4+ walk outing on short rest from them, but I also loathe the idea of having any of Garcia, Urquidy, and especially Greinke pitching more than 3 innings.  Garcia and Greinke imploding in the second half has crippled the Astros' chances of advancing deep in the post-season, imo.  The team is just going to have to score a lot of runs to have a chance.

Edited by Starfleet Command

4 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

It's tough because things fall off so dramatically after Lance and Framber.  I don't like the idea of pitching either of LMJ or Framber on short rest as you're asking for a 4+ walk outing on short rest from them, but I also loathe the idea of having any of Garcia, Urquidy, and especially Greinke pitching more than 3 innings.  Garcia and Greinke imploding in the second half has crippled the Astros' chances of advancing deep in the post-season, imo.  The team is just going to have to score a lot of runs to have a chance.

this seems harsh and inaccurate.  except the greinke stuff - i'm fine if he's left off the roster.

the white sox are a shitty road team.  if we can somehow get to 2-0 heading to chicago, i feel pretty good about urquidy in g3 and garcia (if necessary) in g4.  you're not asking for anything more than 4-5ip, 2er in games against i assume rodon and...dk?  cease?

lance then becomes the fallback option in g5 at home on full rest.  if we can't win that game then what's the fucking point anyway?

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

this seems harsh and inaccurate.  except the greinke stuff - i'm fine if he's left off the roster.

the white sox are a shitty road team.  if we can somehow get to 2-0 heading to chicago, i feel pretty good about urquidy in g3 and garcia (if necessary) in g4.  you're not asking for anything more than 4-5ip, 2er in games against i assume rodon and...dk?  cease?

lance then becomes the fallback option in g5 at home on full rest.  if we can't win that game then what's the fucking point anyway?

The Sox have three starters who have been as good, or better than, our best starter in LMJ, and that’s not even counting Rodon whom I’m assuming only pitches as a reliever/opener, if at all.

It would be one thing if we had a deep and talented pen to fall back on, but that’s not the case at all as we only really have Pressly, Graveman, and maybe Pressly as well above average relievers.  Stanek is great against RHB but you don’t want him pitching to Grandal or Moncada. 

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Should the roof be open or closed for the games?  Temps will be in the high 80s with low humidity. MMP is definitely louder when when closed. 

Open. Outdoor sports is always better than indoor sports. It’s still loud AF in outdoor playoff baseball, don’t think the difference actually matters. Fully expect it to be closed though.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Starfleet Command said:

Urquidy pitched 5 and 2/3 scoreless innings in the World Series against a much better lineup than the White Sox. I think he’ll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, htown85 said:

Open. Outdoor sports is always better than indoor sports. It’s still loud AF in outdoor playoff baseball, don’t think the difference actually matters. Fully expect it to be closed though.

NO NO NO

If it is not the norm throughout the season, I want the home team playing in the safe home environment they have all year.

• Like 1

The likely White Sox starters (Giolito, Lynn, Cease, and Rodon) had a 25-14 record with a 3.15 era against their shitty division.

Those same 4 starters were 2-3 against the Astros with a 4.64 era. They did average nearly 13K's per 9, but also gave up 9 HRs in 33 IP. 

Against their division they gave up on average 1.2 HRs per 9, that number jumped to 2.5 against the Astros.

It also helps that only Lynn has started a game in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

The Sox have three starters who have been as good, or better than, our best starter in LMJ, and that’s not even counting Rodon whom I’m assuming only pitches as a reliever/opener, if at all.

the sox staff is not the same as it was a couple short months ago.  if you wanna drag urquidy and garcia through the mud, you may want to take a look at what the white sox guys have been up to.  they will probably shut us down, but they were much better earlier in the year when we (checks notes) kicked their ass 5/7.

1 hour ago, htown85 said:

Fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Close it and weld it shut until playoffs are over.  Hopefully the grass can survive.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the sox staff is not the same as it was a couple short months ago.  if you wanna drag urquidy and garcia through the mud, you may want to take a look at what the white sox guys have been up to.  they will probably shut us down, but they were much better earlier in the year when we (checks notes) kicked their ass 5/7.

Lynn, Giolito, and Cease each have an xwOBA less than .300 since September 1. LMJ is the only Astros starter to meet that mark.  Garcia is at .355 and Greinke is at an insane .447.  Anything can happen in the post-season but, IMO, the Sox are more likely to win this series. 

• Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

Lynn, Giolito, and Cease each have an xwOBA less than .300 since September 1. LMJ is the only Astros starter to meet that mark.  Garcia is at .355 and Greinke is at an insane .447.  Anything can happen in the post-season but, IMO, the Sox are more likely to win this series. 

the point of this post is that all y'all with disposable income need to bet against your Astros and pay for the joy of another ALCS appearance or get paid for the good guys falling short.

6 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

oh, we're definitely going to lose.

but your very specific reasoning doesn't really take into account the fact that they played 6 games against ~playoff teams in their last 35 while we stacked up games against the rays (3), a's (6), m's (6), and padres (3).

also you can start not including greinke in your "argument", unless you also want to include verlander, who should see an equal amount of meaningful time this series.

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

the point of this post is that all y'all with disposable income need to bet against your Astros and pay for the joy of another ALCS appearance or get paid for the good guys falling short.

I don’t gamble on sports but I would put it at something like 55/45 Sox. Elite SP are just so valuable in the post-season where you can club other teams over the head with them in a way you can’t in the regular season where keeping them healthy is much more important than winning any particular game. 

Edited by Starfleet Command