2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

My method in the playoffs has been to use the MLB app on my phone and listen to ford/sparks through Bluetooth and I use Roku to stream FS1 on mute. Sync it up as mentioned above. The field mics are so hot for radio and tv that you can hear the pop in the catcher’s mitt after every pitch on the radio and immediately pause the one that is ahead while you wait for the other to catch up and then unpause.

I think the MLB app may not be free though. Haven’t used iheart but sounds like that may be free and should work too.

A third option for free audio: the affiliate out of Orange has had Astros games streamed every time I’ve tried it as well.  I don’t know that it’s supposed to and I keep waiting for MLB or someone to shut it down, but it has so far:

https://mainstreamnetwork.com/listen/mobile_iphone.asp?station=kogt-am

those are 3 audio streaming options to get Ford/Sparks. Even if you can’t get them, I was going to suggest pulling up the national radio broadcast over Buck/Smoltz, but not sure I can recommend that. Dan Shulman has the pxp and I love him, but analysts are Eduardo Perez and Jessica Mendoza and they get like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

Lastly, there is of course, the old school terrestrial radio network if you have an AM radio and are within range of one of these stations:

https://www.mlb.com/astros/schedule/radio-affiliates

For the World Series, I’ll be watching Fox over the air with old school TV antenna. So TV broadcast will be ahead of streaming Ford/sparks for the first time. But I have a memory stick in my Roku TV that lets me pause live tv so will likely be doing that to get it synced up.

sounds way more complicated than it really is and totally worth it. Now if only there was a surly filter to sift out all of the posts on this thread about how horrible Buck/smoltz are

• Hook 'Em 3

My method to sync is similar to the above, but I watch the games on my desktop (I can tab back and forth between the game and surly) so it's not complicated. I use either MLB.TV (with my VPN set to Toronto) or MLB6.ir and I use another tab to listen to the Astros radio feed on MLB.com. For whatever reason the radio feed on my phone won't allow me to pause the stream but I can pause it on my desktop. The radio feed is ahead of the video so I pause the radio pbp for 3-7 seconds and wait for the telecast to catch up. Commercial breaks tend to throw off the sync and I usually have to reconfigure it coming out of breaks, but the video is always behind so it's easy to adjust just by pausing Ford/Sparks. 

MLB TV subscription is your friend, worth the money imo. Or at least get the MLB AT Bat subscription so you can listen to every game without trying to find the feed somewhere.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Valedictorian of his class.

he looks like a baby, but has definitely turned into a hell of a talent and leader.   

Loved with Altuve sat on set with ARod, Papi and Big Hurt and said we were blessed to have one of the best talents in the game at SS.

Let's get this WS W!

40 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and signing under slot allowed us to get lmj.

and sorting out the aiken fiasco allowed us to get both bregman and tucker in 5 picks.

all the appels and beers in the world won't offset those moves.

Beer is likely going to be a quality MLB player starting next year. I do not understand why Arizona was giving playing time to Walker over him in the last month of the season. I think the more apt 1B you are looking for here is AJ Reed.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Beer is likely going to be a quality MLB player starting next year. I do not understand why Arizona was giving playing time to Walker over him in the last month of the season. I think the more apt 1B you are looking for here is AJ Reed.

i was just thinking of 1st round picks over the past decade.  i didn't think about it that hard.

18 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

That is a great article.  I love baseball on the radio, and the Astros are blessed to have a GREAT radio team.  Ford has a solid voice and is seamless in his PBP and Sparky is genuinely funny and knowledgeable.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

That is a great article.  I love baseball on the radio, and the Astros are blessed to have a GREAT radio team.  Ford has a solid voice and is seamless in his PBP and Sparky is genuinely funny and knowledgeable.  

Fuck that Jared Diamond guy though

MLB wants us to open the roof per a good Astros source. They hadn’t said shit about the roof through any of the other runs that Crane has owned the team - the Braves brought it up and now Manfred is telling the Astros they probably want it open. It’s totally out of their hands but the temperature at game time tomorrow it’s really not going to be that cool. Wednesday will be nice though, so I guess be prepared for an open roof Wednesday night.

Whatever, if that bullshit stands then it’ll just fire up our guys even more. Doesn’t fuckin matter. 

MLB wants us to open the roof per a good Astros source. They hadn’t said shit about the roof through any of the other runs that Crane has owned the team - the Braves brought it up and now Manfred is telling the Astros they probably want it open. It’s totally out of their hands but the temperature at game time tomorrow it’s really not going to be that cool. Wednesday will be nice though, so I guess be prepared for an open roof Wednesday night.
Whatever, if that bullshit stands then it’ll just fire up our guys even more. Doesn’t fuckin matter. 

Why the fuck should the Braves have any say in our park?
  • Hook 'Em 3

Unclear. And bullshit if that’s how it really went down. That’s what we are telling MLB - the recent precedent is to keep it closed so fuck off. 

Also 99% of the home reps taken by our pitchers/fielders/hitters this season have been with the roof closed. It’s not just a scenery/noise thing, opening the roof literally takes away much of the home field advantage.

8 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have a chance to get an SRO ticket for game 2 at face value. I've never had SRO for a playoff game. Seems like of you don't get a front row spot, you're basically watching the game on your phone. Has anyone had SRO for the playoffs? Worth it?

I got SRO for game 5, but I also had passes to the Gallagher club. If you get SRO tickets, you will want to be there when the gates open, usually 2 hours before first pitch, otherwise you will be fucked, and you might as well stay home.

20 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have a chance to get an SRO ticket for game 2 at face value. I've never had SRO for a playoff game. Seems like of you don't get a front row spot, you're basically watching the game on your phone. Has anyone had SRO for the playoffs? Worth it?

I am closer to short than I am tall and from the games I've seen this postseason it seems not that difficult to get a decent view of the field because people are often moving around. Yeah you could stay home and watch it on your TV or go to bar but for the $250 of a SRO ticket, the vibe at the ballpark is pretty fucking fun. But if you aren't down to get ripped at an Astros game for $20 a beer, maybe take a pass on it. Depends on your expectations.

Edited by Gourmand

45 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Pull some fuses and smash them

49 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

they pulled that bs in 2005 too

Not sure I can believe all of that, but if the Braves asked Manfred to open the roof and MLB is listening to Atlanta now…after the all star game stuff, that’s pretty rich.

would be nice if that cool front stalled and the 100% chance of rain Wednesday pushed from the morning to the evening.

or just leave the roof open all day, field gets soaked, rainout until Thursday fuckers

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

they pulled that bs in 2005 too

I'm kinda mixed on this one. 

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal, but fuck MLB trying to tell the Astros what to do with the roof. I don't buy into the crowd noise angle and would prefer the roof be open for beautiful fall weather, but I am receptive to the argument that it's not what the Astros players are used to throughout the regular season and would prefer they keep the playing conditions as consistent as possible.