2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

‘05 stung.  ‘19 really freaking stung.  
‘19 definitely stung more than ‘18.  

While I am definitely “happy to be here”, I have confidence and expectations for this team.  

I was wary of the Nats in ‘19.  They just seemed to have the October magic from the Wild Card on.  

I was hopeful in ‘17, but not confident. 

But this year… I just have a good feeling about this year.  

Yeah but 19 would have hurt more losing in the ALDS to the Rays than losing in the World Series to the Nats was my point. 
19 was just so painful because that team was historically fucking great. 
05 was happy to get there. Feared it would never happen. I felt better losing to the Sox in the WS than I would have falling to the Cards in 05 for the second year in a row. 
mom fine with whatever comes here. This team is really really good but without a hammer at the TOR (let alone 2) you can’t compare it to 2019. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah but 19 would have hurt more losing in the ALDS to the Rays than losing in the World Series to the Nats was my point. 
19 was just so painful because that team was historically fucking great. 
05 was happy to get there. Feared it would never happen. I felt better losing to the Sox in the WS than I would have falling to the Cards in 05 for the second year in a row. 
mom fine with whatever comes here. This team is really really good but without a hammer at the TOR (let alone 2) you can’t compare it to 2019. 

This team's clutch hitting ability pisses all over 2019.

19 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Absolutely, plus he's ignored the truth that the White Sox were a better offensive team than the Braves and right there with them pitching-wise but the Astros beat them so handily that the White Sox have been discredited as a strong opponent. 

I made this same point in the WS thread when people were acting like we're pissing on the Braves for suggesting that they're not any better than the White Sox and Red Sox.  The fact that we went 7-3 against those teams is being used by Astros haters as evidence that they just weren't that good.  Okay, Jan.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I made this same point in the WS thread when people were acting like we're pissing on the Braves for suggesting that they're not any better than the White Sox and Red Sox.  The fact that we went 7-3 against those teams is being used by Astros haters as evidence that they just weren't that good.  Okay, Jan.

I 'member because I basically stole that point from you. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I hope that makes up for an ERA that is almost two runs higher for Garcia on the road.

I guess it doesn't matter if we hit.

Coming off good short-sample work in 2020, José Urquidy was often projected to be much worse this year and to have an ERA a couple runs higher than his 2.73 ERA at least. But by the Pitching+ model, which looks at movement and spin and velocity and location of each pitch independent of the results, he was projected to be better than average this season. And that’s how he ended up, posting a 3.62 ERA despite a low strikeout rate. But, hey, changeup-first pitchers often have lower strikeout rates and still manage to have success because of the nature and usage of the changeup. He should have been considered an asset going into the postseason.

Urquidy has only one appearance so far this postseason, in which he didn’t manage to get six outs, and in which he put up that 27.00 ERA. Since his velocity was up and his movement was fine, that bad outing came mostly because he couldn’t command the ball. This is weird because that’s something he can do normally. Here are the 10 best 2021 starters by Location+, which judges how well a starter puts pitches in the correct locations.

Best Starters by Location+
PLAYER PITCHING+ STUFF+ LOCATION+

It might seem like even this season was a small sample — Urquidy threw 107 innings between injuries — but this metric gathers information with every pitch, and Urquidy put up 1,630 regular-season pitches. He also scored well by the metric in his first season (105.3) in another 429 pitches.

Even if he’s a relative unknown, and has fewer than 180 innings for his career, the per-pitch numbers say that he’s a very good pitcher. He’ll have at least one more chance to show that on baseball’s largest stage.

8 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Funny, I don't remember him or MLB chipping in when it was time to pay for Minute Maid Park.  Didn't the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, created by state legislators, raise all that money, much of it from Houstonians?  And isn't Minute Maid owned by Coca-Cola and leased by the Astros?  Seems to me that the Commissioner isn't very high on the list of people who should get a vote in whether the roof is open or not.

A cynical person might think it's bait to get the Astros to complain about it and be made the villain again in the media...

Edited by TexArcher

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

That's all well and good, but if he's saying we don't have a Game 3 starter, did he miss Garcia's last outing when he dragged his nuts across the Red Sox?

We don't have a big name starter like Morton or Fried, it's true, but it's also true that out team ERA was slightly better than Atlanta's.  And our pitching was just as hot as our hitting in the last three games against Boston.

Morton is the only big game pitcher on either team. Fried got fried his last start, and Anderson pitched all of 7 innings in 2 NLCS starts.

The Braves big 3 was 37-18, 3.30, 7.1 H/9, 0.9 HR/9, 2.9 BB/9, and 9,3 K/9 in 85 starts.

The Astros were 30-17, 3.33, 7.6, 1.1, 2.9, and 8.7 in 70 starts.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

You have to counter balance that with the fact that Injuries and Dave Roberts did the Braves a lot of favors.

Yep. Roberts entered the series with 3 guys likely to finish in the Top 5 in Cy Young voting, yet somehow the Braves only had to face Buehler, Urias, and Scherzer 1 time on regular rest.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, no. Coke does not own the ballpark. It is owned by the Houston - Harris County Sports Authoritah. 

Shit, my bad.  I had it in my head that Coca-Cola had bought it when they acquired the Minute Maid naming rights.

Regardless, the rest of my point still stands.  Manfred/MLB shouldn't have jack or shit to say about whether that roof is open.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

Mad Dog started the show by saying he doesn't know why everyone is picking the Astros to win and we don't have a game 3 starter...then picked the Braves in 6

I like his show.  

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Copy that, but he sings the Astros praises consistently and calls bullshit on anyone who tries to minimize the team's accomplishments.  I think he's just caught up in his constant jocking of the Dodgers as team to beat so he's naturally sticking with the team that actually beat them as his WS pick. 

This.  i don't have a problem with a guy throwing his opinion out there or going with his gut.  he hasn't been an anti-Astro complainer.

That being  said, he gonna be wrong dis time.

Go Astros!!!

Edited by slorch

30 minutes ago, WBT said:

Am I the only one that thinks home/road splits for pitchers are small sample bullshit?

No. But some of us also believe that Alex Bregman has special hitting powers on Thursday afternoon games when Mercury is in retrograde because he has a 1548 OPS under those circumstances. 
it’s real to me damn it. 

• Hook 'Em 1