2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

For all the shit some Astros fans give Todd Kalas, he's light years better than Kevin Eschenfelder. He's terrible.

seemed like he called one hell of a game...

IDGAF who calls the games really.   I know when Bags is on, I enjoy the reality that comes through the mike.

27 minutes ago, slorch said:

IDGAF who calls the games really. 

honestly I normally don't either but there were many looong stretches of silence when the pbp guy is supposed to offer context, description, conversation, anecdotes, whatever and he doesn't have that skill yet. What made it worse was how often he barely reacted to big hits from the Astros bats. I give him a little slack because that's not his role at the network but it was just awkward and weird with him and Blum this weekend. 

honestly I normally don't either but there were many looong stretches of silence when the pbp guy is supposed to offer context, description, conversation, anecdotes, whatever and he doesn't have that skill yet. What made it worse was how often he barely reacted to big hits from the Astros bats. I give him a little slack because that's not his role at the network but it was just awkward and weird with him and Blum this weekend. 
I mean he could've filled those silent stretches with wrong information like Kalas does
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gourmand said:

In fairness, it is probably difficult to call PBP (when you're a studio guy) and you're not even at the stadium the game is being played at.

Off day stumper to throw out at the biggest asshole trivia nut you might know:

Name the only player in professional baseball history to play professional baseball in two cities with Latin-language (not Spanish) names.

Answer of course is Yuli, who has played for the Corpus Christi Hooks and Los Gallos de Sancti Spíritus in Cuba. (The Holy Spirit Fighting Cocks. Pretty fucking awesome.)

(Jesuit education will out; sorry, y'all.)

6 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Fucking As. They're doing that stupid annoying pesky Oakland baseball shit where they get really hot and you wonder if they're ever going to lose again.

Oakland exuberance in 2020...

tenor.gif?itemid=9358532

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Name the only player in professional baseball history to play professional baseball in two cities with Latin-language (not Spanish) names.

Answer of course is Yuli, who has played for the Corpus Christi Hooks and Los Gallos de Sancti Spíritus in Cuba. (The Holy Spirit Fighting Cocks. Pretty fucking awesome.)

wut 

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, Straw still sucks.

I bagged on him a lot early, mainly for his almost killing Altuve by being reckless in the field.

I appreciate how he has kept making work.  Now can we trust it, who knows?  The effort is there.  As a fan of sports, I like it.

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The best part of this is this was going through your head at 3am

• Haha 1

The 1st ASG voting results were released yesterday and, unsurprisingly, no Astros were in 1st place. Jose is in 2nd with Bregs, Yuli, Yordan and Maldy all in 3rd. The biggest travesty is Uncle Mike in 9th. I don’t expect any starters and that’s not really due to backlash. But several should be reserves. 

Edited by TonyTexas

31 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

The 1st ASG voting results were released yesterday and, unsurprisingly, no Astros were in 1st place. Jose is in 2nd with Bregs, Yuli, Yordan and Maldy all in 3rd. The biggest travesty is Uncle Mike in 9th. I don’t expect any starters and that’s not really due to backlash. But several should be reserves. 

Yep. I was looking at it and can’t see any Astros that truly deserve to be starters. We’ve got a bunch deserving of being on the team. 

I’d go Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Greinke, Presley. 
If I’m being greedy I can plausibly argue for Brantley, Bregman, Yordan and maybe García?  

I don’t follow the rest of the league as closely as I used to so maybe there’s 3 clear SS ahead of Correa or something like that and he’s a “tough omission stacked position” kinda guy but his performance is all star caliber. 

44 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yep. I was looking at it and can’t see any Astros that truly deserve to be starters. We’ve got a bunch deserving of being on the team. 

I’d go Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Greinke, Presley. 
If I’m being greedy I can plausibly argue for Brantley, Bregman, Yordan and maybe García?  

I don’t follow the rest of the league as closely as I used to so maybe there’s 3 clear SS ahead of Correa or something like that at another position and our guy is a tough omission stacked position” kinda guy but all those performances are all star caliber. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn