2021 - Is inflation finally back in the conversation?

Reagan1k

Just now, 52-80 said:

it is outrageous that a company has control over its own treasury.

especially if that company is owned collectively by its shareholders where major capital allocations decisions are made jointly by elected officers.  this representative democracy must be abolished. 

Best Che Guevara GIFs | Gfycat

Co-signed- Surly Leftists

• Like 1

Yellow was mired by horrible M&A the past few years and took out a yuge government loan during Covid-19 it couldn't pay back. People will point to the union and strike demands driving them to bankruptcy because it's catnip for certain people, but that's not true. It was a bad business. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we've seen 0.2% two months in a row, doesn't that imply ~ 2.43% annualized?  If so, is that so bad?

I get it, extrapolation is dicey at best, but it doesn't seem like prices are behaving anything but "normal" at this point.  We'd all like them to come DOWN a bit I suppose, but that's probably a pipe dream.  Is 0% or even deflation the only way a certain demographic will applaud the progress (and of course not even then)?

Fucking DT.  What a joke.

Edited by jimmyjazz

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we've seen 0.2% two months in a row, doesn't that imply ~ 2.43% annualized?  If so, is that so bad?

I get it, extrapolation is dicey at best, but it doesn't seem like prices are behaving anything but "normal" at this point.  We'd all like them to come DOWN a bit I suppose, but that's probably a pipe dream.  Is 0% or even deflation the only way a certain demographic will applaud the progress (and of course not even then)?

There's going to be significant discontent as long as cost of living adjustments don't actually adjust for cost of living. The lower wage workers have mostly had their adjustments, but the middle class hasn't and isn't happy about having to adjust their lifestyle.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

There's going to be significant discontent as long as cost of living adjustments don't actually adjust for cost of living. The lower wage workers have mostly had their adjustments, but the middle class hasn't and isn't happy about having to adjust their lifestyle.

I can get with that.  

Any idea what the net price increase to the consumer has been since, oh, January 2021?  I guess it would be a matter of integrating the month over month data.

No clue, but as a father of three kids, just getting necessities like food (which those little shits mostly just waste), diapers, and clothes has gone up a ton. The more kids you have the more it affects you. The escape price for Target used to be about $100. Now it is at least $150. Need to upgrade to a bigger house because your family got bigger? Lol, you're screwed.

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Inflation is 3.2%

That's not bad, however, when you look at the data, people are still getting fucked.

While Energy is down -12.5%, and definitely helping people, Food is up +4.9% and fucking people. Pet Food is up +10.6%. Shelter is up +7.7%. 

It's a mixed bag, and most people are still feeling the costs, especially the food. 

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.t02.htm

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Inflation is 3.2%

Year over year, yes.  I was trying to annualize the last two months of 0.2% going forward.  Should that rate hold steady (which of course it won't, it will fluctuate, maybe up, maybe down, probably both) that would lead to an annual inflation rate next summer of 2.43% unless my math sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Year over year, yes.  I was trying to annualize the last two months of 0.2% going forward.  Should that rate hold steady (which of course it won't, it will fluctuate, maybe up, maybe down, probably both) that would lead to an annual inflation rate next summer of 2.43% unless my math sucks.

Sure. It's fine and definitely not too bad, but people are still feeling the effects of certain things. Plus, energy prices are going up again, so that won't help the numbers. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks.  census.gov claims median household income was ~ $71K in 2021, so that would represent a 12% hit ($8.5K).  I can definitely imagine that wages haven't jumped accordingly over that 2 year period.  Mine haven't.

Closer to 13.3% if you put that household in a 10% Income Tax bracket.  That $8.5k of after tax pay, not pre-tax.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That's not bad, however, when you look at the data, people are still getting fucked.

It's a mixed bag, and most people are still feeling the costs, especially the food. 

"real" earnings means the wage is already adjusted for inflation (using CPI)

nominal wage vs food inflation.  data indexed to 1980, when the wage data series started.  second quartile = median. 

fredgraph.png

fredgraph(1).png

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

But how much is it for a 4th of July meal ?!?!

reminds me that "let's just grill burgers" is often the biggest crock of shit expense fest at the grocery store because you often times have to buy a new jar of mayo (someone always wants mayo on their burger - probably a trump lover), mustard and ketchup (ketchup on their hot dog what libcuck wants that?) which can last up to 6 months, plus two extra hot dog and hambuger buns per package (free market my ass), so that waste isn't accounted for (hidden govertnment tax I tell you). 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, troph said:

reminds me that "let's just grill burgers" is often the biggest crock of shit expense fest at the grocery store because you often times have to buy a new jar of mayo (someone always wants mayo on their burger - probably a trump lover), mustard and ketchup (ketchup on their hot dog what libcuck wants that?) which can last up to 6 months, plus two extra hot dog and hambuger buns per package (free market my ass), so that waste isn't accounted for (hidden govertnment tax I tell you). 

sir i must inform you about the mayo on hamburger thing....

25 minutes ago, troph said:

Look, I agree with a lot of what you say, but this post is awful and you should feel ashamed.  Ketchup is good at least 2 years, but who actually has a bottle last that long?.  Mustard?…shit, you could bury some in a jar and dig it up in 5000 years and it will still be good if the glass didn’t break. 

Mayo on a hamburger with cheese, ketchup, and pickles is how the founding fathers and God intended it. Same for hot dogs. And don’t forget some extra mayo (preferably spicy) to dip your hamburger and fries into. 

Now I’m headed to the fatass thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1