2018 NBA Offseason Thread -- News, Free Agency, Trades, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

California would be great if all those Californians weren't there. 

Yeah, LA would still fucking suck though. Worst 7 weeks of my adult life living there. No idea why someone would voluntarily live there permanently unless you're making serious money or really really like beaches. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Unless that team thinks they can trade for him and entice him into staying but that is really risky. And again, I don't see any team who would jump past GSW by getting Kawhi for this season only. I mean maybe Houston but they aren't a realistic option right now.

Spurs might not get anything back for what was supposed to be the franchise piece of the team after the 2014 title. 

They will be forced to make a trade with LA.

4 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

Yeah, LA would still fucking suck though. Worst 7 weeks of my adult life living there. No idea why someone would voluntarily live there permanently unless you're making serious money or really really like beaches. 

Hahaha. There’s a reason I spend the money I do to live here.  But I would like others to stay away.

4 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

Wow, you gave it a whole 7 weeks?!?!? It took me a year and now I like it, but my industry is based here. 

• Like 1

Ouch! JaVale was saying just last week that he wanted to be a Warrior for the rest of his career. And LA got him for the minimum? Either Golden State didn't offer, or the pull of LA and LeBron is just too strong. I have no idea which, but probably the latter. And Golden State was probably the only team that could reasonably promise him a starting role (regular season, at least).

But the Lakers now have my full attention. That's going to be entertaining as fuck.

Edited by aggie08

San Antonio still has some leverage in the east. Kawhi to Philly and they could be as good/better than Boston. Kawhi to Boston and they could be as good as GSW. All depending of course on what they have to give up, will Kawhi sign long term, do they think they can win now or wait a year or two for GSW to be done, etc.,

The east just got a lot easier without LBJ, so if Kawhi wants a title he'd be better off at Boston, rather than trying to get with LBJ and the Lakers and still have to beat Houston and GSW just to get to the finals.

30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Hahaha. There’s a reason I spend the money I do to live here.  But I would like others to stay away.

You have to spend money to enjoy living there. 85 percent of the city fucking sucks and the other 15 percent 99 percent of society can't afford to live in. It's pretty much science, or maybe math, I don't know. 

1 minute ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

You have to spend money to enjoy living there. 85 percent of the city fucking sucks and the other 15 percent 99 percent of society can't afford to live in. It's pretty much science, or maybe math, I don't know. 

Yes you do. But I was born in this city.  I was raised in this city.  And I expect I will probably die I; this city.  And I’m ok with that. 

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Ouch! JaVale was saying just last week that he wanted to be a Warrior for the rest of his career. And LA got him for the minimum? Either Golden State didn't offer, or the pull of LA and LeBron is just too strong. I have no idea which, but probably the latter. And Golden State was probably the only team that could reasonably promise him a starting role (regular season, at least).

But the Lakers now have my full attention. That's going to be entertaining as fuck.

Javale played Bron as well as I've seen anyone work. I'm sure Bron is relieved.  If Lakers can get Boogie, they can really dominate the interior vs. GS.

6 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Javale played Bron as well as I've seen anyone work. I'm sure Bron is relieved.  If Lakers can get Boogie, they can really dominate the interior vs. GS.

Uh, you may want to tap the brakes there a bit. JaVale was very respectable in incredibly short stints. That's a huge win for him and his reputation, and he'll absolutely be missed (even if Jordan Bell capably fills his role as lob catcher)...but Golden State was still better defensively playing small ball centers.

I think with all of these deals going out, LA is already off the Cousins idea. I thought that they might try to sign him as a last ditch, "We need another star for LeBron" move, but it looks like they'll playing it smart. LeBron and Cousins would be a terrible fit: Cousins clogs up the middle for LeBron (LeBron has shown that a spread offense with him surrounded by shooters is damn near unstoppable), he'd be turnover prone trying to play point center, and he's the last guy you want if you're trying to instill a sense of defensive responsibility on a young team. He'd be a liability--effort and execution--against any team who can run a capable pick and roll, and that's IF he's fully healthy. If he comes back at 80%, it could be disastrous for whatever team signs him.

wait, i know that lebron is the best player in the world and all, but people are really saying that a lakers team featuring him, brandon ingram, lonzo ball, kyle kuzma, kcp, lance stephenson and javale mcgee is going to be "appointment viewing" when they go up against the warriors???

unless the lakers can somehow add kawhi, i have a hard time seeing them being a top 4 seed in next year's western conference playoffs.

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

wait, i know that lebron is the best player in the world and all, but people are really saying that a lakers team featuring him, brandon ingram, lonzo ball, kyle kuzma, kcp, lance stephenson and javale mcgee is going to be "appointment viewing" when they go up against the warriors???

unless the lakers can somehow add kawhi, i have a hard time seeing them being a top 4 seed in next year's western conference playoffs.

I was purely speaking from an entertainment value perspective. Those pieces are going to be fascinating trying to fit together, and I'm sure they're not done dealing yet. It has serious roller coaster potential (which seems to be a theme for all LeBron teams). 

But yeah, as currently constructed, they might need a decent draw to get into the 2nd round.

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

It'll be entertaining though...... any team with Lebron and Lance, a buddy cop name if there is one, along with Javale promises at least one fucking belly laugh a game.

Dan Gilbert getting a 2nd shot here and does much better....

40 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

just because it's going to be fun to watch. the regular season is pointless anyway.

52 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Well vegas doesn't agree with you as they now have the second best odds at a title. I was thinking the same thing but I'm guessing vegas knows they will get another big name. Otherwise, as the roster is now is not too 3 talent. 

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
3 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:
Well vegas doesn't agree with you as they now have the second best odds at a title. I was thinking the same thing but I'm guessing vegas knows they will get another big name. Otherwise, as the roster is now is not too 3 talent. 

They have to be hinging this on LA getting kawhi.

This much has been stated. They would rather pull back the odds later than give bettors an investment opportunity.

4 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Vegas is also in the business of taking people’s money.  They just need some of the millions of folks in LA to lay money on their lakers to balance out all the money already laid on GSW again.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
4 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

They have to be hinging this on LA getting kawhi.

no they don't 

James has drug a field of spares to second place, quite a bit it seems. 

If they get Leonard, this whole deal is different. 

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Saw some salary cap guy on ESPN last night talking about this.  Basically said they'd have to trade everyone for Kawhi just to make it work.  (Some of those guys make a lot less than I thought.)  Only thing that could make it work is if someone took Deng and no one is taking him.  He went on to say the idea of adding Boogie is simply unrealistic.

The Lakes will be either Bron and the current group as is or Bron, Kawhi, Lonzo Ball, and an entire new roster of role player types.  To your point, I don't see that group beating GS, the Rockets, or OKC for that matter.  They'd be better than the last year's team but they'd be a 4-7 seed in the West.  (Not much difference between those seeds, though.)

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw some salary cap guy on ESPN last night talking about this.  Basically said they'd have to trade everyone for Kawhi just to make it work.  (Some of those guys make a lot less than I thought.)  Only thing that could make it work is if someone took Deng and no one is taking him.  He went on to say the idea of adding Boogie is simply unrealistic.

The Lakes will be either Bron and the current group as is or Bron, Kawhi, Lonzo Ball, and an entire new roster of role player types.  To your point, I don't see that group beating GS, the Rockets, or OKC for that matter.  They'd be better than the last year's team but they'd be a 4-7 seed in the West.  (Not much difference between those seeds, though.)

Actually the Lakers are a little more than 2 million below the cap.  If they renounced Randle, they'd be around 14 million.  Kawhi only makes 20 million so by adding just Ingram they could easily make the money work.  So I guess they'd be giving up Randle (in a way) and Ingram or Ball (who the Spurs don't want).  Also, there are rumors Randle wants to move on so maybe they let him.... or maybe they work a S&T with a suitor.  Another thing, no one has signed anything.  I believe you can't sign until July 6th so you could still sequence some things to make things easier for them...... All of that said, they can still pretty easily facilitate a trade right now, but if they make another signing to replace Randle's cap space, then it gets challenging without moving Deng.