Shelter in place message in NW Austin?

Brisketexan

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the scene to assist Austin Police, including the Round Rock Police Department, the F.B.I., U.S. Marshals, and the Department of Public Safety.
——————-

75 FBI agents were on scene assisting and said they will continue to help the Austin Police Department in any way that they can. 

is that why the reward is so shitty? 

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the scene to assist Austin Police, including the Round Rock Police Department, the F.B.I., U.S. Marshals, and the Department of Public Safety.
——————-

75 FBI agents were on scene assisting and said they will continue to help the Austin Police Department in any way that they can. 

is that why the reward is so shitty? 

nah it's probably because they are confident he shot himself and don't want the headache of chasing down dead end leads from people just making shit up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gourmand said:

nah it's probably because they are confident he shot himself and don't want the headache of chasing down dead end leads from people just making shit up.

Maybe. Dude is definitely facing the death penalty by executing the teen who accused him of rape along with murdering two other people.

It’s already a terrible tragedy. I hope he hasn’t taken a hostage. The 911 call came in at 11:42 and first LE arrived on scene at 11:46. So he had time to flee if he had a vehicle. Or run into a random person’s apartment and take a hostage(s). I wouldn’t  rule out suicide by cop. Guy stewed for nearly a year since the rape allegation and he was fired. And did this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Well, I'm sure a few could take up a collection of throw down pistols in their cruiser trunks, pawn 'em on the quick, and get $10k together by midnight.

They should sell them at a gun buy-back program. They get the cash and can still keep the guns. 5D chess and all that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Apparently, I need to just take a break here. Fuck me runnin'.  

Since the orignal reports I haven't read up on the details.  Big cajunfail.

I'll show myself out.

He killed the mom and, from what i've read on social media, the stepdaughter who made the outcry and her boyfriend. Rumor online is that he was allegedly molesting his six-year-old daughter, who was present at the scene and witnessed the shootings. He let her live. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

He killed the mom and, from what i've read on social media, the stepdaughter who made the outcry and her boyfriend. Rumor online is that he was allegedly molesting his six-year-old daughter, who was present at the scene and witnessed the shootings. He let her live. 

Wtf. Crazy if true.

9 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the scene to assist Austin Police, including the Round Rock Police Department, the F.B.I., b, and the Department of Public Safety.
——————-

LOL wut?  Damn, I'm feeling kinda left out they didn't call me.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Damnit!

But five months after his release, with his case still pending, a Travis County judge ordered the removal of the device on Nov. 5. Broderick's lawyer argued in a written motion to the court that Broderick had worn the electronic monitor for 142 days with no substantial violations and that it should be removed.

In an interview with the American-Statesman Sunday, Sage said she typically agrees to remove tracking devices when a defendant has exhibited a pattern of compliance and has not incurred any violations. Sage, who left in place Broderick's no-contact and distancing stipulations, said she rarely keeps defendants on GPS tracking for more than 90 days if they have been compliant.

"He had been on GPS for (five) months with no violations," Sage said. "It's a pretty common thing for me to do, frankly."
——————————-

Broderick's bail conditions required him to surrender all firearms and not obtain any new ones. In an application for a protective order after Broderick's arrest, his wife, Amanda Broderick, said she worried about her safety and that of their children.

"I'm afraid he will try to hurt me or my children, because these allegations have come out and he may lose his career," she stated. "Stephen has prior military experience and is SWAT trained. If he wanted to hurt someone, he would know how."
—————-

Im glad that the concern was for the now murdered people by the court. As opposed to removing that POS’s monitoring device. Well done Travis County. Well done. So glad he was compliant and barely monitored. If he had any other help I hope their asses go to jail too. Colossal fuck up!

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/austin-shooting-suspect-arrested-wanted-for-killing-3-people/

Stephen Nicholas Broderick, 41, was arrested Monday morning approximately 20 hours after the shooting, Manor Police confirmed. Broderick was found between Manor and Elgin on Old Kimbro Road just south of Highway 290.

The Travis County Sheriff’s Office took the lead with the arrest with Manor Police assisting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, I understand a lot of what is being done for criminal justice reform—the need for reforms and the reasons behind them. Especially for offenses (or those accused of) NON VIOLENT crimes. Not VIOLENT crimes. And he was not compliant (still harassing his ex according to the DA.) VIOLENT offenders should still have to wear GPS and be monitored. Tough shit. 

“The decision by Sage to remove the tracking device underscores the increased challenges facing judges during the ongoing national conversation on criminal justice reform.

Progressive activists pushing for bail reform want judges to grant no-cost personal bonds to people accused of many violent and non-violent offenses. This, activists say, allows the accused to work and provide for their families as they fight the charges against them.”

———————

There is smart reform and just plain dumbass reform. Violent offenders while out on bail should still be monitored and wear a tracking device. The device doesn’t keep them from working. Jesus! Now three people are dead. Because we were more concerned about the violent offender. Top notch job! I get pushing for bail and I get that you are presumed innocent until proven guilty BUT damn. Those accused of violent crimes should be monitored. Holy shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Damnit!

But five months after his release, with his case still pending, a Travis County judge ordered the removal of the device on Nov. 5. Broderick's lawyer argued in a written motion to the court that Broderick had worn the electronic monitor for 142 days with no substantial violations and that it should be removed.

In an interview with the American-Statesman Sunday, Sage said she typically agrees to remove tracking devices when a defendant has exhibited a pattern of compliance and has not incurred any violations. Sage, who left in place Broderick's no-contact and distancing stipulations, said she rarely keeps defendants on GPS tracking for more than 90 days if they have been compliant.

"He had been on GPS for (five) months with no violations," Sage said. "It's a pretty common thing for me to do, frankly."
——————————-

Broderick's bail conditions required him to surrender all firearms and not obtain any new ones. In an application for a protective order after Broderick's arrest, his wife, Amanda Broderick, said she worried about her safety and that of their children.

"I'm afraid he will try to hurt me or my children, because these allegations have come out and he may lose his career," she stated. "Stephen has prior military experience and is SWAT trained. If he wanted to hurt someone, he would know how."
—————-

Im glad that the concern was for the now murdered people by the court. As opposed to removing that POS’s monitoring device. Well done Travis County. Well done. So glad he was compliant and barely monitored. If he had any other help I hope their asses go to jail too. Colossal fuck up!

Look, he had not been convicted of anything to that point. We don't want the criminal justice system to treat the accused as guilty. I think the judge was applying the correct principles there. But I do wonder where he got the gun from. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Damnit!

——————————-

—————-

This kind of shit has been rampant in Houston for a couple years now.  Really, really bad people are being let out for covid, race, income levels, etc, and they are picking up right where they left off.  If they had been in jail for trying to kill their girlfriend, they are getting out and finishing the job.  It's happened time after time after time.  The judges need to face some consequences for this stuff.  That, or there needs to be a covert wetwork team that goes around and takes care of these released felons.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Lat22 said:

This kind of shit has been rampant in Houston for a couple years now.  Really, really bad people are being let out for covid, race, income levels, etc, and they are picking up right where they left off.  If they had been in jail for trying to kill their girlfriend, they are getting out and finishing the job.  It's happened time after time after time.  The judges need to face some consequences for this stuff.  That, or there needs to be a covert wetwork team that goes around and takes care of these released felons.

Dear god, y'all are trying to blow up everything resembling civil rights and the presumption of innocence over this. That is fucking stupid. And what the fuck does it even mean to say that people are being let out because of "race" and "income levels?" That's not a thing. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Look, he had not been convicted of anything to that point. We don't want the criminal justice system to treat the accused as guilty. I think the judge was applying the correct principles there. But I do wonder where he got the gun from. 

Who knows? I am curious about that also.

But he still should have to have worn a monitoring device. If he had had that on maybe three people aren’t dead?

I understand the need for bail and criminal justice reform as many people are accused of nonviolent offenses. But for Those accused of VIOLENT offenses? Doesn’t compute. He was allowed bail. He should have had a low jack on his ankle. That’s my feeling. Same for other violent offenders. Jmo. Three lives snuffed out because we are more concerned about him than victims. 

There are smart reforms and necessary reforms and just plain stupidity. Two young people with the whole world of promise in front of them dead because that POS has more rights. Will never make sense to me. I’m all for helping people but violent offenders need to be monitored while they are out on bail. 

I would assume once you've been arrested, but even if not convicted, of molesting a 6 year old...they take away your service weapon?  

So how'd he get a gun?  

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Who knows? I am curious about that also.

But he still should have to have worn a monitoring device. If he had had that on maybe three people aren’t dead?

I understand the need for bail and criminal justice reform as many people are accused of nonviolent offenses. But for Those accused of VIOLENT offenses? Doesn’t compute. He was allowed bail. He should have had a low jack on his ankle. That’s my feeling. Same for other violent offenders. Jmo. Three lives snuffed out because we are more concerned about him than victims. 

There are smart reforms and necessary reforms and just plain stupidity. Two young people with the whole world of promise in front of them dead because that POS has more rights. Will never make sense to me. I’m all for helping people but violent offenders need to be monitored while they are out on bail. 

I mean, if we just kept everyone in jail, this wouldn't be an issue either. But that is a horrible reason to do so.

Typically, courts are going to look at the nature of the crime and the defendant's history to determine pre-trial release specifications. Maybe the judge should have had a tighter leash here, but (1) I'm sure his being a copy played in his favor, and (2) I don't know the allegations of the sexual assault of a child offense. While horrible in and of itself, do we have a reason to believe at this point that it was an allegedly violent offense as you keep saying?  

I'm all for identifying smart ways to do reform, but what you appear to be asking for is an amplification of a criminal system that already has the largest prison population and highest per capita incarceration rate in the world. I'm wary of anything resembling another round of "get tough on crime" attitude given our history. 

Edited by Dahobbs

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I would assume once you've been arrested, but even if not convicted, of molesting a 6 year old...they take away your service weapon?  

So how'd he get a gun?  

I can see a scenario where he took one from a family member. Allegedly, he surrendered all his guns as a condition of bail. I am very curious about how he was able to procure a firearm. 

Had he still been wearing a monitoring device he doesn’t make it from Elgin to Austin to murder people. we won’t know 100% what he has been up to since November unless he wants to talk since he wasn’t monitored. 

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Allegedly, he surrendered all his guns as a condition of bail. I am very curious about how he was able to procure a firearm. 

In order of likelihood, I would go with:

1) did not surrender all his guns

2) private purchase

3) purchase through dealer

I would swap 2 and 3, but I certainly would hope that a NICS check would trigger a hold on the sale.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I mean, if we just kept everyone in jail, this wouldn't be an issue either. But that is a horrible reason to do so.

Typically, courts are going to look at the nature of the crime and the defendant's history to determine pre-trial release specifications. Maybe the judge should have had a tighter leash here, but (1) I'm sure his being a copy played in his favor, and (2) I don't know the allegations of the sexual assault of a child offense. While horrible in and of itself, do we have a reason to believe at this point that it was an allegedly violent offense as you keep saying?  

I'm all for identifying smart ways to do reform, but what you appear to be asking for is an amplification of a criminal system that already has the largest prison population and highest per capita incarceration rate in the world. I'm wary of anything resembling another round of "get tough on crime" attitude given our history. 

I consider sexual assault to be a violent offense. Based on the articles, he was to have no contact with his ex-wife and according to the DA’s office was continuing to harass her. She’s dead. His daughter/step daughter is dead as is her boyfriend. 

You could, look at each offense on a case by case basis. Someone out on bail for a violent offense should be monitored to some extent. If he had been he doesn’t get from Elgin to Austin. 

A picture of the young man he murdered.

2B5D4F9E-EE34-47E9-91A6-7CD0A3DAFC4C.jpeg

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

In order of likelihood, I would go with:

1) did not surrender all his guns

2) private purchase

3) purchase through dealer

I would swap 2 and 3, but I certainly would hope that a NICS check would trigger a hold on the sale.

Or if he had family in the area or friends he could have taken one (stole) from them. Since he was found walking back to Elgin on the highway I am curious how he got to Austin. Maybe he drove his own vehicle and abandoned it after the shooting? He walked the whole way? To Austin? 

They said when he was found walking along the highway this morning and taken into custody he had a pistol. 

Stephen Nicholas Broderick, 41, was arrested Monday morning between 7 a.m. and 7:40 a.m. without incident approximately 20 hours after the shooting, Manor Police and the Travis County Sheriff’s Office confirmed. Manor Police said Broderick had a pistol at the time of his arrest, but no shots were fired.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/travis-county/austin-shooting-suspect-arrested-wanted-for-killing-3-people/

I hope our intrepid local media stays on this and doesn’t let up until we find out about said pistol and possible violations of the terms of his bail/bond. 

23 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So how'd he get a gun?  

Our systems to ensure that people with a propensity for violence do not commit future violence or get their hands on weapons are shit.  From our systems and laws regulating firearms, to how we let violent offenders out of jail and monitor/don't monitor them.

A protective order is, as of now, just a piece of paper that a bad guy can shoot right through.  I would prefer more airtight laws and processes to ensure that he can't get a firearm, and maintaining electronic monitoring on him if he's going to be out on bail.

All in all, what a complete fucking waste.  What a fucking waste.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I consider sexual assault to be a violent offense. Based on the articles, he was to have no contact with his ex-wife and according to the DA’s office was continuing to harass her. She’s dead. His daughter/step daughter is dead as is her boyfriend. 

You could, look at each offense on a case by case basis. Someone out on bail for a violent offense should be monitored to some extent. If he had been he doesn’t get from Elgin to Austin. 

A picture of the young man he murdered.

2B5D4F9E-EE34-47E9-91A6-7CD0A3DAFC4C.jpeg

My question was whether we believe the specific offense was violent, not whether the general category of the offense is violent. Because it was with a minor, the sexual contact could have been consensual (not in the legal sense mind you) and not necessarily violent. I'm just saying I don't have that information.  

At any rate, we do look at each offense on a case-by-case basis. He was monitored to some extent. For months. I think your outrage at the judge is misplaced here. There are a whole host of things that could have prevented to this that we shouldn't be doing.  Maybe it comes out that there was a ton of evidence to believe he represented a threat to the family, in which case it is possible the judge made a mistake. But, I don't think treating everyone accused of a violent crime as a guilty is the proper way to address your concerns. 

Edited by Dahobbs

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Our systems to ensure that people with a propensity for violence do not commit future violence or get their hands on weapons are shit.  From our systems and laws regulating firearms, to how we let violent offenders out of jail and monitor/don't monitor them.

A protective order is, as of now, just a piece of paper that a bad guy can shoot right through.  I would prefer more airtight laws and processes to ensure that he can't get a firearm, and maintaining electronic monitoring on him if he's going to be out on bail.

All in all, what a complete fucking waste.  What a fucking waste.

What is the enforcement mechanism when an individual is required to "surrender their firearms" based on a court order?