Shelter in place message in NW Austin?

Brisketexan

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

My question was whether we believe the specific offense was violent, not whether the general category of the offense is violent. Because it was with a minor, the sexual contact could have been consensual (not in the legal sense mind you) and not necessarily violent. I'm just saying I don't have that information.  

At any rate, we do look at each offense on a case-by-case basis. He was monitored to some extent. For months. I think your outrage at the judge is misplaced here. There are a whole host of things that could have prevented to this that we shouldn't be doing.  Maybe it comes out that there was a ton of evidence to believe he represented a threat to the family, in which case it is possible the judge made a mistake. But, I don't think treating everyone accused of a violent crime as a guilty is the proper way to address your concerns. 

The articles don’t say much about the sexual assault. Most of what I can find reads like this:

The alleged assault took place in a home in Elgin, a town about 20 miles east of Austin, according to an arrest warrant affidavit. 

The victim told her mother, who took her for a medical exam that confirmed the abuse.

'Willie was a senior at Elgin High School. He was an exceptional young man and leader among his peers. Strong, both academically and athletically, he represented the very best of Elgin ISD. 

'He was the Captain of our football team; a friend to everyone he met; and most recently, recruited to play football for the University of North Texas,' Elgin School District said in a statement. 

'Although Alyssa withdrew from Elgin ISD back in the fall, she was an Elgin ISD student from 2009 to October 2020.

'She was an excellent student and athlete, enrolled in our Early College High School program and played on our girls’ basketball team. 

AFBCB059-AA67-40D1-B955-5A55A42E0249.jpeg

F031F6BA-0975-4D55-B71E-E81C7203D6E7.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Look, he had not been convicted of anything to that point. We don't want the criminal justice system to treat the accused as guilty. I think the judge was applying the correct principles there. But I do wonder where he got the gun from. 

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

She’s no longer in Austin but obviously has contacts here.

Is that a neck tatoo that says, "No Mercy".  

Looks like something written before those two words, but wouldn't it be nice if when they strap him down on the gurney one of the guards would hold a mirror above him and pull his collar down just so while patting him on the head and giggling a little.

Why is a reporter from a news channel in Rochester, NY the first to report on this guy being captured in Elgin, Tx and none of the local news sources have picked it up?
Because the reporter (Kris Betts, total smoke show who used to work @ KVUE) is married to a retired APD officer. He was on the K-9 unit. Seems he's got some pals who feed her good stuff. No doubt they'd love to get back to ATX.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I would assume once you've been arrested, but even if not convicted, of molesting a 6 year old...they take away your service weapon?  

So how'd he get a gun?  

He got one because it isn't really hard to break laws when you're a criminal.

That's how.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Pinky swear. 

Pretty much. 3/4's of my guns were purchased by my Dad in the 60's and 70's. There isn't a record of them anywhere. I imagine 75% of the guns in America have no way of being traced.

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, Cajun said:

He got one because it isn't really hard to break laws when you're a criminal.

That's how.

And because it isn't that hard to get a gun and we don't have much of a way of enforcing his bail condition at point of purchase. 

It will never be hard to get a gun for a criminal.

Ever

And automatically assumung he purchased it post bail?  Lots of other ways to procure heat that never so much as blip a LEO radar screen.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Cajun said:

It will never be hard to get a gun for a criminal.

Ever

Imagine if we tightened up the laws on gun sales (like, strict liability for a sale or transfer to someone under a court order not to have a firearm), and treated illegal gun sales as harshly as we treated illegal drug sales?  Then the only folks we'd have trafficking firearms would be bona fide bad guys, and we could bury them under the jail in the space we used to have reserved for a guy with a baggie of weed.

But we won't.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Well, we could just imagine that Brisket.  It's all about imagining these days.

We're in the time of pretend, so REJOICE!

Edited by Cajun
And I would have no problem at all with your "fix", but it ain't happening because too much $$$s in busting addicts & potheads.

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I mean, if we just kept everyone in jail, this wouldn't be an issue either. But that is a horrible reason to do so.

Typically, courts are going to look at the nature of the crime and the defendant's history to determine pre-trial release specifications. Maybe the judge should have had a tighter leash here, but (1) I'm sure his being a copy played in his favor, and (2) I don't know the allegations of the sexual assault of a child offense. While horrible in and of itself, do we have a reason to believe at this point that it was an allegedly violent offense as you keep saying?  

I'm all for identifying smart ways to do reform, but what you appear to be asking for is an amplification of a criminal system that already has the largest prison population and highest per capita incarceration rate in the world. I'm wary of anything resembling another round of "get tough on crime" attitude given our history. 

Do you not find sexually assaulting a minor a violent offense???  

• Hook 'Em 1

How would new “air tight gun laws” have prevented this when mostly likely he didn’t surrender all this weapons or he acquired/stole a gun from an acquaintance or former colleague? That’s really a better approach in these situations than more closely monitoring people charged of violent felonies?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Do you not find sexually assaulting a minor a violent offense???  

I don't know if it was violent or not. That was my point. Normally, sexual assault means unwanted sexual contact and implies some level violence (force). But, when it involves a minor it can be consensual in the non-legal sense and thus may not be violent as we typically use the term.  

Well, we could just imagine that Brisket.  It's all about imagining these days.

We're in the time of pretend, so REJOICE!

And I would have no problem at all with your "fix", but it ain't happening.

And that's the problem.  We are at an "absolute zero, non-negotiable, nothing is acceptable" point of regulating firearms and firearms related conduct.  Correction....we're actually going in the OPPOSITE direction.  EVERYONE gets a gun, and EVERYONE can carry it EVERYWHERE.  It's fucking insane.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And that's the problem.  We are at an "absolute zero, non-negotiable, nothing is acceptable" point of regulating firearms and firearms related conduct.  Correction....we're actually going in the OPPOSITE direction.  EVERYONE gets a gun, and EVERYONE can carry it EVERYWHERE.  It's fucking insane.  

Disagree.

It's the least insane of all the viable options.

I am shocked that he was captured alive. Shocked, but glad because now he can become buddies with domestic abuser and murderer Guy Allen on death row.

Also, the details of this case reminded me of Kevin Waguespack. Holy fuck that guy is still on the run and unaccountable for his crime. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Several posts have mentioned the monitoring device. How closely are those things tracked? If I had to guess I'd say not all that closely.  

Depends on whether or not the PO switched to Sanka this week.

Just now, Cajun said:

Disagree.

It's the least insane of all the viable options.

Wait.....passing laws to make guns MORE ubiquitous than in the literal "wild west" is more sane than.....tightening up our purchase and background check mechanisms, ensuring that all court restraining orders are immediately entered into the database, and that sort of thing?  You're serious?

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Imagine if we tightened up the laws on gun sales (like, strict liability for a sale or transfer to someone under a court order not to have a firearm), and treated illegal gun sales as harshly as we treated illegal drug sales?  Then the only folks we'd have trafficking firearms would be bona fide bad guys, and we could bury them under the jail in the space we used to have reserved for a guy with a baggie of weed.

But we won't.

It is already a felony to sell a firearm to an ineligible person.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You are incorrect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wait.....passing laws to make guns MORE ubiquitous than in the literal "wild west" is more sane than.....tightening up our purchase and background check mechanisms, ensuring that all court restraining orders are immediately entered into the database, and that sort of thing?  You're serious?

I said viable options.

You said it yourself, the other ain't happening.

7 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

He swam down to the bottom of the lake.

alittleracist.gif

I'm guessing since he had 100 people to lean on whom he knew from his cop days (ex-cons, gun dealers, drug dealers, bookies, et. al.), had weapons at the ready, he could have also gotten it from them instead of involving a family member in the eventually slaughter of their own loved ones.  Then again, this guy doesn't seem to give much of a fuck.  

Edited by Lobo

Who knows? I am curious about that also.
But he still should have to have worn a monitoring device. If he had had that on maybe three people aren’t dead? 

Think we’ll need more details on the case before we come to that conclusion. Are the monitors tracked in real time? Would the police be alerted that he was in the approximate location of the apartment that he was not permitted to be within X distance of? If so, how long was he there? Would the police response time have been fast enough that they could’ve got him before he started shooting? If he just kicked in the door and killed them, the fact he had a monitor on wouldn’t have prevented anything.

Regardless of the answers to all that, I can see both sides of an argument about removal. On one hand, if there was a reason to put it on in the first place, then maybe it should stay there. On the other, I have no idea how much of a PITA they are. If it’s something you get used to relatively quickly and can be covered by regular clothing, then it should stay. If the only option is those big, clunky ankle monitors then I could see the reason for wanting it off. You can’t really be comfortable in a Texas summer if you have to wear jeans every time you go out. And society in general is going to treat you very differently if they can clearly see you wearing an ankle monitor. For an innocent person, that is a very legitimate concern.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Gourmand said:

This case is going to be interesting to follow and presents a big challenge for new DA Jose Garza. Will he seek the death penalty in a case that practically begs for the death penalty or will he keep his campaign promise to not seek it?

I would prefer that he keep his campaign promise -- I share his concerns about the mechanism of the death penalty across the board.  And the point is that we shouldn't have it at all....even for SOBs that really, really deserve it.  Just have real-deal life without parole, bury them under the prison, and be done with it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

More on WHY he was arrested in the first place. This article is from June of 2020 (when he was arrested for the alleged sexual assault) and has more detail about the offense than I have seen in articles the past 24 hours. Should have been electronically monitored. 

According to court documents, a TCSO child abuse detective was called to Dell Children's Medical Center in Austin on June 3 in reference to a sexual assault that occurred in Elgin, Texas. The 16-year-old victim had reported to her mother that she had been assaulted that same afternoon by Broderick.

Officials reviewed the victim's sexual assault forensic exam, which documented certain injuries. The girl also participated in a forensic interview at the Bastrop County Child Advocacy Center. Officials said these statements corroborated injuries documented in her exam notes.

Broderick has been charged with sexual assault of a child, family violence, which is a first-degree felony.

The sheriff's office said Broderick has been placed on administrative leave without pay.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/crime/travis-county-deputy-charged-with-child-sexual-assault/269-1eac2d0f-9522-44cb-acf5-dc0890579567

Edited by Nicole44
I don’t know if Alyssa was his biological daughter or stepdaughter. He needed a low jack on and I don’t care if the monitor was uncomfortable. Case by case basis. And he needed a monitor.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would prefer that he keep his campaign promise -- I share his concerns about the mechanism of the death penalty across the board.  And the point is that we shouldn't have it at all....even for SOBs that really, really deserve it.  Just have real-deal life without parole, bury them under the prison, and be done with it.

Yeah, a frequently cited reason for abolishing the death penalty is that it violates the 8th amendment.  It doesn't usually work, but it's long been a part of the argument in some states/jurisdictions.  

This guy is an ex-county law enforcement officer, so you know he made all kinds of enemies in our prison system.  He's a known child molester.  He's a murderer, but not a hardened one, he hit soft targets and robbed some young people of a bright future.   And left the girl he raped stay alive to watch him murder her family and live with all of the above for the next 80 years of her life.  

What is going to happen to him in jail is far more cruel and unusual than capital punishment.  He should have killed himself when he had the chance.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, a frequently cited reason for abolishing the death penalty is that it violates the 8th amendment.  It doesn't usually work, but it's long been a part of the argument in some states/jurisdictions.  

This guy is an ex-county law enforcement officer, so you know he made all kinds of enemies in our prison system.  He's a known child molester.  He's a murderer, but not a hardened one, he hit soft targets and robbed some young people of a bright future.   And left the girl he raped stay alive to watch him murder her family and live with all of the above for the next 80 years of her life.  

What is going to happen to him in jail is far more cruel and unusual than capital punishment.  He should have killed himself when he had the chance.  

100% what I bolded.

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What will happen to him in jail is only justice. To snuff out those bright young lives deserves no mercy... none at all.

Too bad though that the taxpayers are going to be soaked by the endless appeals in the upcoming decades.

RIP to the family, if they can.

• Hook 'Em 1

Such a sad and sickening deal. Alyssa is sexually assaulted. Immediately tells mom. Mom takes her to the hospital. She has to endure a rape kit, being photographed naked, and be questioned about the assault. her injuries are documented (which would lead me to believe that gee this shit wasn’t consensual.) i hope there was DNA found as well. And I hope he gets ganked in prison. And he suffers. 

Her mother immediately filed for divorce and a restraining order. Which is granted.

Alyssa a promising young student who had been in Elgin ISD most all her life must then drop out of school last fall and move to Austin with her mother and 6 year old brother.

The man allegedly raped her (still not clear if her biological dad or stepfather) is out on bail and continuing to harass her mother (which is why the Judge increased his bond by an additional $75000.) she had to endure all of that. And then is murdered alongside her boyfriend and mother with her six year old brother nearby. 

But I’m glad he got the monitor removed. So he could not be inconvenienced. Nothing shows you’re not a pedo or an unstable person more than murdering three people. We may not be able to predict what every offender would or could do but I’d say he was a prime candidate for electronic monitoring. Had he been they would know he was (a) in Austin and (b) not Elgin and (c) headed for the mother’s apartment. Where he was not allowed to go per the restraining order and terms of his bail. 

the gun issue is also important as well. But damn, this fucker should have been monitored. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Such a sad and sickening deal. Alyssa is sexually assaulted. Immediately tells mom. Mom takes her to the hospital. She has to endure a rape kit, being photographed naked, and be questioned about the assault. her injuries are documented (which would lead me to believe that gee this shit wasn’t consensual.) i hope there was DNA found as well. And I hope he gets ganked in prison. And he suffers. 

Her mother immediately filed for divorce and a restraining order. Which is granted.

Alyssa a promising young student who had been in Elgin ISD most all her life must then drop out of school last fall and move to Austin with her mother and 6 year old brother.

The man allegedly raped her (still not clear if her biological dad or stepfather) is out on bail and continuing to harass her mother (which is why the Judge increased his bond by an additional $75000.) she had to endure all of that. And then is murdered alongside her boyfriend and mother with her six year old brother nearby. 

But I’m glad he got the monitor removed. So he could not be inconvenienced. Nothing shows you’re not a pedo or an unstable person more than murdering three people. We may not be able to predict what every offender would or could do but I’d say he was a prime candidate for electronic monitoring. Had he been they would know he was (a) in Austin and (b) not Elgin and (c) headed for the mother’s apartment. Where he was not allowed to go per the restraining order and terms of his bail. 

the gun issue is also important as well. But damn, this fucker should have been monitored. 

he’s a police officer, it’d have to be a pretty tough judge for his lawyer not to be able to get the monitor off after a period no incidents.

• Rage+1 2

Just now, Doc Reeves said:

he’s a police officer, it’d have to be a pretty tough judge for his lawyer not to be able to get the monitor off after a period no incidents.

It’s apparently common place these days with compliance with bail conditions. I just wish they’d look at the crime and the individual on a case by case basis.  Frustrating deal. He’ll probably be separated from general pop in jail anyway. 🥺

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s apparently common place these days with compliance with bail conditions. I just wish they’d look at the crime and the individual on a case by case basis.  Frustrating deal. He’ll probably be separated from general pop in jail anyway. 🥺

They do. It appears a judgment error was made here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This case is going to be interesting to follow and presents a big challenge for new DA Jose Garza. Will he seek the death penalty in a case that practically begs for the death penalty or will he keep his campaign promise to not seek it?

I mean, if ever there was a case where life in prison would be worse than death, I’d think this is it. A child molesting cop isn’t going to fare well in prison.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

In order of likelihood, I would go with:

1) did not surrender all his guns

2) private purchase

3) purchase through dealer

I would swap 2 and 3, but I certainly would hope that a NICS check would trigger a hold on the sale.

He probably just used the old, undocumented, throw down pistol he kept in his trunk when he was still a cop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1