Point and laugh at Shaka Smart

Wulaw Horn

his first year at Texas we had a whole bunch of wins vs the top 25 and had wins over OU and UNC teams that eventually ended up in the Final Four. we swept #8 (final kenpom rank) WVU rather easily, we smashed #25 Vandy, we handled Baylor in Waco...and then we went 0-2 in the postseason, wearing white jerseys in both games. 😑

the next year Shaka returned two guards from the Big XII All Newcomer team, a sophomore Tevin Mack, and added HS All Americans Andrew Jones and Jarrett Allen- a base good enough to play in the tourney- and that team went 11-22 (4-14), and finished alone in dead last in the Big XII. 

Shaka Smart has more than a decade of empirical evidence which shows Shaka to be a very good recruiter and a very mediocre coach who is consistently inconsistent. even back at VCU his teams would regularly lose to teams who they had no business losing to. a tiger doesn't change his stripes. Shaka is who he is, and i fully expect his time at Marquette to be just as maddeningly inconsistent as was at VCU and Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

]Shaka is who he is, and i fully expect his time at Marquette to be just as maddeningly inconsistent as was at VCU and Texas. 

. . . and even if it isn't that inconsistent, it doesn't matter.  He was the wrong coach for Texas.  We moved on, and justifiably so.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

right now on FS1- Shaka and co. primed to get a road win vs Seton Hall, up 9 with 3:58 to go. Shaka potentially making the tourney this year is a very interesting development. 

I think he's making the tourney. They're ranked 22. I'm sort of nervous about it but then I think - Texas looked really good for most of last year. 

He'll Shaka it up somehow. 

Just now, JWinTX said:

I just can’t understand how he could suck so bad here for so long and then go to Marquette and start winning right away. 

it boggles the mind that he struggled so regularly here and yet completely refused to run anything resembling Havoc- save a few rare occasions late in games, all of which were successful (think: the Gonzaga game). he even had the personnel to run it, both his first land last year here, but he wouldn't do it. he's back to running tempo, and he's back to winning. pretty fucking aggravating for UT fans. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think he's making the tourney. They're ranked 22. I'm sort of nervous about it but then I think - Texas looked really good for most of last year. 

He'll Shaka it up somehow. 

exactly. i want to see him in the tourney. my absolute morbid curiosity is immeasurable. imagine Shaka outperforming Beard all season, only for Marquette to flame out in round 1 while Texas gets its first tourney win since Barnes was here. who here couldn't picture that happening?

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

it boggles the mind that he struggled so regularly here and yet completely refused to run anything resembling Havoc- save a few rare occasions late in games, all of which were successful (think: the Gonzaga game). he even had the personnel to run it, both his first land last year here, but he wouldn't do it. he's back to running tempo, and he's back to winning. pretty fucking aggravating for UT fans. 

It’s just amazing to think of how Smart was the darling of coaching before he leaves VCU and immediately forgets everything he built that reputation on when he gets to Austin. Then, after finally showing some modicum of success here, he immediately shits the bed against ACU and leaves before he gets fired, only to find a pretty decent landing spot and he immediately starts looking like the great young coach everyone said he was at VCU. So freaking frustrating.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Even more aggravating that he blames the culture, fans, and players for his lack of success when he entirely abandoned the system that got him to Texas in the first place. Now he goes back to those elements and is winning. WTF.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JWinTX said:

It’s just amazing to think of how Smart was the darling of coaching before he leaves VCU and immediately forgets everything he built that reputation on when he gets to Austin. Then, after finally showing some modicum of success here, he immediately shits the bed against ACU and leaves before he gets fired, only to find a pretty decent landing spot and he immediately starts looking like the great young coach everyone said he was at VCU. So freaking frustrating.

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

Even more aggravating that he blames the culture, fans, and players for his lack of success when he entirely abandoned the system that got him to Texas in the first place. Now he goes back to those elements and is winning. WTF.

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

Maybe I missed it, but when did this happen?

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Just now, JWinTX said:

Texas is a difficult spot. Unless you're a baseball coach. Some guys can handle it - some guys can't. Beard is a guy that understands it and is going to handle it. Like Mack I'd think. Shaka wasn't. 

Texas should be an easy job to win at. We landed the 2nd best basketball player since Duncan got drafted. But it doesn't come without its bugaboos. 

exactly. the FEC was BUMPING Shaka's first year here. the fans only stopped showing up when the team became miserable to watch. and this guy has the nerve to talk down on the fans and the culture on his way out. that was a dumb move on his part. 

The 2018-19 team had Sweet Sixteen talent yet missed out on the NCAA Tournament entirely ... then went on to win the NIT without its best player.

And I'll always contend that last year's roster had Final Four experience, talent and athleticism ... and we all know how that ended.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't really care how Shaka does at Marquette or elsewhere. I just know he wasn't going to do jackshit at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Maybe I missed it, but when did this happen?

he made comments about Marquette being a school with basketball tradition, and a school where the fans will actually show up. then that guy from The Athletic did that puff piece on Shaka where the author flat out said all of this stuff (Texas is to blame for Shaka's struggles, Texas forced Shaka to recruit five stars, Texas fans accept nothing less than perfection, etc), seemingly on Shaka's behalf. i don't blame anyone for not liking these comments or being rubbed the wrong way. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

exactly. the FEC was BUMPING Shaka's first year here. the fans only stopped showing up when the team became miserable to watch. and this guy has the nerve to talk down on the fans and the culture on his way out. that was a dumb move on his part. 

watch the second half of that OU game when you have time. we went on like a 18-0 run at some point, and the FEC was going crazy. for the last ~12 minutes of that game, the FEC was as loud and raucous as you could ever ask for. 

edit: also, watch that game and then realize how much the likes of Roach, EDJ, and AJ1 regressed as their careers went on. 

23 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

watch the second half of that OU game when you have time. we went on like a 18-0 run at some point, and the FEC was going crazy. for the last ~12 minutes of that game, the FEC was as loud and raucous as you could ever ask for. 

edit: also, watch that game and then realize how much the likes of Roach, EDJ, and AJ1 regressed as their careers went on. 

Yeah - I've been texting with an SMU buddy tonight who's an anti-Texas, USC guy and I told him about the $10 promo and how you can basically walk to midcourt and he was like "even with Beard you're struggling to get fans to games?" and I had to tell him how terrible Shaka was for the fanbase. 

Nevada Smith and Neill Berry might be covering some of Shaka's faults right now and most of the existing roster was not recruited by Shaka.  At some point these two guys will tire of carrying Shaka's ass and go elsewhere.

I still won't be surprised to see this current Marquette team have late season problems -- Shaka has shown to choke often late in the season with terrible late game decisions over, and over, and over, and over again.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect a late season slump for February at Marquette.

I still didn't understand why the LHN had absolutely nothing on before or after that big win over UNC. They did game days for shitty football teams, but nothing for that game. Just unbelievable fumble for the shitty idea that was this network.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The 2018-19 team had Sweet Sixteen talent yet missed out on the NCAA Tournament entirely ... then went on to win the NIT without its best player.

And I'll always contend that last year's roster had Final Four experience, talent and athleticism ... and we all know how that ended.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't really care how Shaka does at Marquette or elsewhere. I just know he wasn't going to do jackshit at Texas.

no matter what he does the rest of his career, this will always be the final image of him at Texas:

i never realized how much people hate Texas Basketball until this year on reddit. every post game thread where Texas loses gets a ton of awards, and all of the comments are people just talking shit about Texas and drowning in schadenfreude. here's how the handles my simple refutation to the idea that Texas was to blame for Shaka's struggles:

BDB49E5F-17A0-48EA-AB57-A29FEB8E4799.thumb.png.bce131b80317cd7e139fcaf99863a875.png

i'm gojng to go scorched earth on then when Shaka eventually does what Shaka does. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Another big W for Shaka! It's getting impressive at this point. Did great work in the transfer portal to field a strong, young team 😁

he added two role players in the portal and lost two of marquettes best players to duke and unc, so of course you're in here hyping up his amazing transfer portal dealings.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i never realized how much people hate Texas Basketball until this year on reddit. every post game thread where Texas loses gets a ton of awards, and all of the comments are people just talking shit about Texas and drowning in schadenfreude. here's how the handles my simple refutation to the idea that Texas was to blame for Shaka's struggles:

BDB49E5F-17A0-48EA-AB57-A29FEB8E4799.thumb.png.bce131b80317cd7e139fcaf99863a875.png

i'm gojng to go scorched earth on then when Shaka eventually does what Shaka does. 

People just hate Texas. Easiest villain in college sports to hate.  The mocking of football, the hatred of volleyball and softball on those forums, MBB on Reddit.

At this point, I’m embracing it. We are horrible and awful for college sports, despite not having won a big 3 title in 17 years. Fuck ‘em 🤘🏻🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2022 at 4:28 PM, SL Xpress said:

On the old Go Big 12 boards I was the only person advocating Bob Stoops as the coach to replace John Mackovic. I liked his resume of success coaching under Snyder and Spurrier. I liked how he conducted himself in the press conferences Spurrier put him in charge of while he was at Florida (an unusual measure for any head coach, but Spurrier marches to the beat of his own drummer). However, it was known at the time that Texas was never going to hire an assistant. To be honest, there's no way anyone in their right mind hires Bob Stoops over Mack Brown at the respective stages of their careers in 1998.

OU has always hired assistants. They've had remarkable success with it. It's still about keeping the ones who end up being good. Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, and Bob Stoops. None of their other coaches since WWII have been remarkable, and some of them, like John Blake, have been flat out bad. The one former head coach they did hire was arguably the worst of all in Schnellenberger's one season in Norman. 

Charlie Strong was not a coaching search directed to find the best candidate out there. It was a coaching search to find the best black candidate to hire as head coach. While it's a great gesture from a progressive standpoint, it has the same issues so many of the other coaching searches have had. The selection processes never looked at EVERY possibility. Fred Akers was hired because he agreed to exclude AD Darrell Royal from the football program. David McWilliams was hired because he was cheap, and he was a legacy hire from the Royal days who had built some great defenses and had one decent season including a Texas Tech win over the Longhorns. Mackovic was hired because he ran an exciting offense and projected the image of a CEO. Tom Herman was hired to prevent him from going to LSU as that season's hot commodity. 

Steve Sarkisian is one of the first assistants Texas has taken a chance on, although of course he has head coaching experience. Like longhornmatt, it seems like Texas could have gone after someone a little more high profile, but they didn't. 

As far as hiring committees, however many or few are a part of that process at Texas, what I would say more than anything is to open it up to include all possibilities. That's my biggest gripe with how Texas hires, specifically for football. Without that mindset, they never hire Mack Brown in the first place. Gary Barnett would have been the hire. Tom Hicks, Darrell Royal, and others helped open it up to even interviewing Mack Brown, who wasn't even dead set on leaving North Carolina until he went back to the UNC AD with what Texas brought to the table and UNC declined to extend anything further.

More hires like that, where everyone in the country is on the table, and Texas goes after the best candidate possible. Like they did when they hired Garrido for baseball. That just doesn't seem to happen in football. 

I believe the phrase you used was:

"STOOPS STOOPS STOOPS STOOPS STOOPS STOOPS STOOPS"

or something similar. I might be short a STOOPS, I might have used a STOOPS too many.

I said early in the thread I thought the Big East was more Shaka's speed as well as being at non-football school.  Marquette and BE is a step up from VCU but it isn't the Big 12.

Big East has some good teams obviously but Shaka just wilted under the pressure of the Big 12 and couldn't get his team/one and done's ready for tournament time. 

He's got a ways to go in the season so we'll see.  it wouldn't shock me if he makes the tournament and even wins a game but that'll be it.

Is he running havoc again?  because that shit he tried to coach at Texas was fucking awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Show me on the doll where Shaka hurt you 

Watching you stan for Shaka Smart on this thread reminds me of two things:

1) The phenomenon that no matter how fucking terrible a coach is, irrespective of how many millions the motherfucker made to fail and make a fanbase miserable, there will always be a small cadre of mouthbreathing dipshits that will show up in his or her defense. It's not a Texas thing or even a college thing, just a simple reality that every fanbase has some amount of bleating sheep stumbling around within it that will wind up addicted and codependent in a bad coaching relationship.

2) As bizarrely humorous as it is that people will sprint onto this board to this day to defend Shakablah or Chuckles Strong, I actually believe it's even more absurd to think that I can't recall a single person ever doing such work for Fuckface Herman. I mean, the guy is the lone exception to rule 1. We really fucking hate that guy. Some dipshit on the recruiting board was earnestly praising and defending Bill O'Brien as an offensive wizard a couple of weeks ago. Any coach can get a defender, yet stumblefuck Herman stands alone. Crazy.

Anyway, LOL at the premise that Smart is going to do anything but the same old shit this season. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

1) The phenomenon that no matter how fucking terrible a coach is, irrespective of how many millions the motherfucker made to fail and make a fanbase miserable, there will always be a small cadre of mouthbreathing dipshits that will show up in his or her defense. It's not a Texas thing or even a college thing, just a simple reality that every fanbase has some amount of bleating sheep stumbling around within it that will wind up addicted and codependent in a bad coaching relationship.

2) As bizarrely humorous as it is that people will sprint onto this board to this day to defend Shakablah or Chuckles Strong, I actually believe it's even more absurd to think that I can't recall a single person ever doing such work for Fuckface Herman. I mean, the guy is the lone exception to rule 1. We really fucking hate that guy. Some dipshit on the recruiting board was earnestly praising and defending Bill O'Brien as an offensive wizard a couple of weeks ago. Any coach can get a defender, yet stumblefuck Herman stands alone. Crazy.

Anyway, LOL at the premise that Smart is going to do anything but the same old shit this season. 

This is definitely true in all respects including Mensa Tom. It definitely didn’t help that his very first game against Maryland was like a perfectly encapsulated shitshow of the previous 3 year fuckups and the next four year to come, all condensed into one game. Plus he was an arrogant ass. 

We didn’t quite realize what we had with Shaka however until the first ncaa tournament game and then the second year sealed the deal. He should’ve been fired after year 2 but this is Texas basketball so of course he lasted as long as he did. 

Tangentially related:  is there a blog post or some other document detailing all of Herman's behind-the-scenes transgressions?  That guy was handed an opportunity on a silver platter and fucked it up six ways from Sunday, and seemingly did so with extraordinary levels of hubris and arrogance.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:01 AM, closetojumping said:

I’m not stanning for shaka. Just mentioning when he has good wins.

I do find it amusing that a basketball coach winning some games makes grown men like you melt down, though. 

• Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Does motownhown have amnesia? Does he not remember last year? Blowing out Kansas on the road and sweeping them? The buzzer beater against WVU? Finally beating Tech and then winning the B12 tourney? And then......

Have fun on that roller coaster.

I’ve said over and over again that Shaka deserved to be fired.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I’m not stanning for shaka. Just mentioning when he has good wins.

I do find it amusing that a basketball coach winning some games makes grown men like you melt down, though. 

I find it amusing when a grown man doesn’t understand what the term “melt down” means, but I’m easy to please. 

And yes, you are stanning for Shaka. It’s sad and pathetic seeing someone do that, yet not own it. It’s pretty obvious to anyone else reading that you have a signed photo of Shaka Smart sitting on your night stand and that you clutch it and sob while in the fetal position every evening after someone is rude to you when you’re on the clock at the call center. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 1/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, closetojumping said:

I didn’t call him a wizard you word twisting fuck face. All I was saying was the two greatest coaches of all time hired him to coordinate their offenses but surly guys know better and that seems like bullshit. If saban and Belichik had only read the surly boards they would know who to hire. It’s that simple, right? It’s possible he’s not bad as an OC and surly just likes to tear everybody down because this entire board is full of shit talking, self aggrandizing assholes.  Has saban fired him yet? 

11 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

I didn’t call him a wizard you word twisting fuck face. All I was saying was the two greatest coaches of all time hired him to coordinate their offenses but surly guys know better and that seems like bullshit. If saban and Belichik had only read the surly boards they would know who to hire. It’s that simple, right? It’s possible he’s not bad as an OC and surly just likes to tear everybody down because this entire board is full of shit talking, self aggrandizing assholes.  Has saban fired him yet? 

I think “fuck face” is actually one word. 

• Like 1