Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Gerry is now asking the board what they think of KJ Miles.

https://247sports.com/player/kj-miles-46054149/

Interesting. It’s still hard to tel exactly what PK looks for on the DL. He recruited a lot of 300+ guys out of HS while at Washington. Granted, a lot of them were Polynesian dudes with insanely good feet for their size. 

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

July 4

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Interesting. It’s still hard to tel exactly what PK looks for on the DL. He recruited a lot of 300+ guys out of HS while at Washington. Granted, a lot of them were Polynesian dudes with insanely good feet for their size. 

But how were their ties?

(Eric Nahlin) Tight end Arlis Boardingham talks Texas official visit

Spoiler

Initial impressions of the visit:
“I think it was good, I liked the energy. You can feel the whole city and state behind you. Interacting with the players was great. Ja’Tavion Sanders was my host. He said he liked it there; that the workouts were hard, but that’s how it should be. It’s good energy out there.”

Welcoming environment:
“They automatically treat you like family. My parents were taken care of when we got there. That was a positive with me.”

Outside of football:
“I like the business education over there. That’s what I want to major in. McCombs is a top of the line, top-five or thereabouts school. I want a business school that can take me to the next level.”

What lies ahead?
”This was my first official visit. I had ASU planned. In terms of visits, we’re going to talk as a family tonight to see if I want to take take more.“

Does that mean a decision is looming?
“I’m going to make my decision later in my senior year. I am going to cut some schools down to show those schools I still have interest in them.”

Schools on his mind:
“Colorado definitely. Notre Dame, even though they want me for defense. Utah is a possibility.”

Takeaways:

That talk with his parents, especially with no visits on the horizon, really grabs your attention. In talking to Boardingham, it’s hard to see those other schools posing a genuine threat, though he isn’t an excitable kid. He was calm when discussing Texas. Sometimes you can catch something in a recruit’s voice and know a commitment is close.

From IT’s vantage, Boardingham represents the best option for Jeff Banks in his first cycle at Texas and it’s hard to see what would derail Texas landing him at this juncture.

Nick Harris 

Spoiler

Nick at Nite: Recapping a wild first day of the dead period10VIP

What a day. Let's recap.

This morning, Cypress (Texas) Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins announced that he would be making a commitment on Tuesday morning. After about an hour of setting Twitter and message boards on fire, 247Sports was able to confirm that this would be a bowl game commitment. For more information on that whole ordeal, click here.

Later in the evening, Tyler (Texas) Legacy four-star running back Jamarion Miller became the first Tyler ISD running back to commit to Texas since Earl Campbell. I'll let Mike dive into it a bit more when he gets back from vacation, but for some background, Miller had a solid official visit weekend in Austin this weekend and the Longhorns were able to close the door. Texas was able to hit home with the family, a family that had a Texas commit at one point in time, and now Miller is set to be a Longhorn.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
Soon after, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High four-star edge rusher Derrick Brown released a top two of Texas and Baylor and said that he would be committing on July 20. Any thought that Baylor isn't up to this challenge is straight-up wrong at this point in time. Brown had a solid visit in Waco during his official trip and the opportunity to play early at Baylor is really enticing. That being said, his relationship with Texas' coaching staff remains strong. I was hoping to come out of my conversation earlier tonight with Brown with a Crystal Ball Prediction, but I don't feel good enough about either contender right now.

(Photo: Andrew Hattersley, 247Sports)
And to cap it off, Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson announced that he would be pushing his commitment back from his initial July 4 plan. After talking with him over the weekend, I had sensed that this may end up being the result as both Texas and Texas A&M are heavily involved in this race. In talking to sources, his official visit at Texas was really strong over the weekend as the family did just about all they could do right up until the beginning of the dead period last night. Anderson said that he will be making his decision this summer, but that it will just be at a later date. I am connecting with him this week and should have more then.

There have been some questions about some cryptic tweets from Klein (Texas) Cain four-star running back Jaydon Blue following Jamarion Miller's commitment tonight, and Horns247 was able to dig in with some sources who have said that "everything is good." Blue knew all along that Texas was looking to take a second back in the 2022 class, so nothing took him by surprise. Blue has been strong in his commitment to Texas since locking it down in March and I don't see that shifting.

(Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)
I was able to connect with Spearman (Texas) four-star wide receiver Brenen Thompson tonight who is fresh off a series of visits including an official visit to Oregon this past weekend. One takeaway from our conversation is that this recruitment will play out further than expected going into this month. He plans on taking all of his officials before making a decision. He has two officials to Clemson and Alabama scheduled for the fall and I expect Thompson to also return to Texas for a game/unofficial visit this fall.

Last thing: this will be a crazy week. Cameron Williams is set to announce his commitment on Thursday (247Sports will be connecting with him Tuesday) with Oklahoma, Miami, Oregon and Texas contending for his services, and Horns247 is monitoring two other recruits that could possibly be making decisions this week. Out of respect for those players, we can't drop names yet, but a position of need in the 2022 class could be receiving help very soon

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

And now IT is saying Keahnist Thompson is "one to watch", though they're not necessarily predicting that he commits to Texas.

https://247sports.com/player/keahnist-thompson-46100601/

PK going for the full "huh I forgot we were recruiting that guy" DL.

I don't mean that in a bad way, just that they're mid-ranked OOS guys our 995ers haven't been hyping since 8th grade.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Brown has a commitment date set. I don't see Patton (inside LB) as a position of need given that Trevell Johnson is in and the LB room is currently in good shape.

Which is crazy considering what it looked like when Sark got here. That is some roster magic.

Gerry on Keahnist Thompson. He's a fan (rated a 4-star on ESPN).

Spoiler

I'm a really big fan of this kids overall movement skills, and physicality. Good initial quicks, very good foot quickness, creates an initial jolt, strong hands, physical, and flexible in the ankles and hips. So much to develop here.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10743099/Keahnist-Thompson

More Gerry on Keahnist

Spoiler

I like Thompson over Anthony Jones and Swanson. Not a slight on the others, but Thompson is another physical player out of one of the more physical programs in the country over a long period of time (Lakeland High).

If it becomes a Thompson or Derrick Brown scenario ... Thompson fits the body type and mold of PK's guys at Washington he liked/recruited.

The other OU 247 mod on Derrick Brown. Take it FWIW, grain of salt, etc.

Collin's Corner: Quick thoughts on Derrick Brown

Spoiler

Tonight, three-star edge prospect Derrick Brown released a final-two list. It included Texas and Baylor, two programs with plenty of influence in this recruitment. However, one notable program was left off.

Oklahoma was unable to make the cut for Brown. While it's noteworthy to a degree, it shouldn't be too shocking. Oklahoma does have connections that provide leverage in Clayton Smith and Jamar Cain, but the respective staffs for Baylor and Texas have built strong bonds rapidly. In addition to this, I've noted in the past how sources have indicated that playing inside the state of Texas has always been meaningful to Brown. In the end, this will likely begin a simple parting of ways for each party.

As for where things stand now, I've held back on a crystal ball for good reason. I'd say that continues to be true as this recruitment takes its next step. Not too long ago, I favored Texas. The Longhorns' staff did a great job of selling the program/a vision and the visit blew Brown away. However, he still had some trips to take. This included Baylor, a school that is suddenly starting to surge.

In speaking with a source, I now give Baylor the slight edge for now. Brown recently visited and the Bears' coaches provided quite the experience. It also helps that Baylor has quickly gained plenty of momentum on the recruiting trail, adding to its 2022 recruiting class rapidly. With relationships and added traction present, the Bears have become more and more of a viable landing spot.

However, I say 'slight' with plenty of meaning. Brown is very much someone who will enjoy the various turns this recruitment takes. Each program had/has every right to feel confident heading into the month of July, a lot of that having to do with the experiences created during the respective visits. However, I think that as Brown approaches his July 18 decision date, it will come down to who is able to maintain a strong impression the longest. It's one thing to surge in the moment, but consistency and sustainability will be the key. It's something to follow as these two in-state schools battle it out.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The other OU 247 mod on Derrick Brown. Take it FWIW, grain of salt, etc.

Collin's Corner: Quick thoughts on Derrick Brown

Reveal hidden contents

Tonight, three-star edge prospect Derrick Brown released a final-two list. It included Texas and Baylor, two programs with plenty of influence in this recruitment. However, one notable program was left off.

Oklahoma was unable to make the cut for Brown. While it's noteworthy to a degree, it shouldn't be too shocking. Oklahoma does have connections that provide leverage in Clayton Smith and Jamar Cain, but the respective staffs for Baylor and Texas have built strong bonds rapidly. In addition to this, I've noted in the past how sources have indicated that playing inside the state of Texas has always been meaningful to Brown. In the end, this will likely begin a simple parting of ways for each party.

As for where things stand now, I've held back on a crystal ball for good reason. I'd say that continues to be true as this recruitment takes its next step. Not too long ago, I favored Texas. The Longhorns' staff did a great job of selling the program/a vision and the visit blew Brown away. However, he still had some trips to take. This included Baylor, a school that is suddenly starting to surge.

In speaking with a source, I now give Baylor the slight edge for now. Brown recently visited and the Bears' coaches provided quite the experience. It also helps that Baylor has quickly gained plenty of momentum on the recruiting trail, adding to its 2022 recruiting class rapidly. With relationships and added traction present, the Bears have become more and more of a viable landing spot.

However, I say 'slight' with plenty of meaning. Brown is very much someone who will enjoy the various turns this recruitment takes. Each program had/has every right to feel confident heading into the month of July, a lot of that having to do with the experiences created during the respective visits. However, I think that as Brown approaches his July 18 decision date, it will come down to who is able to maintain a strong impression the longest. It's one thing to surge in the moment, but consistency and sustainability will be the key. It's something to follow as these two in-state schools battle it out.

Combined with Gerry's note on Thompson... lot of irons in the fire.

x-posting from the 9.95er thread:

Gerry confirmed the Gatson stuff, by the way. Someone on the staff (not Drayton) erroneously thought we were getting Gatson and told Sark/Flood he was in. The staff managed to turn around the mistake in an impressive way by turning things up with Miller when Gatson committed to USC.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

x-posting from the 9.95er thread:

Gerry confirmed the Gatson stuff, by the way. Someone on the staff (not Drayton) erroneously thought we were getting Gatson and told Sark/Flood he was in. The staff managed to turn around the mistake in an impressive way by turning things up with Miller when Gatson committed to USC.

The way I read this implies that we prioritized Gaston over Miller initially. Very surprising if true. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting