Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I know everyone is fixated on the bag game and NIL money but how much of Stewart not coming here relates to our awful QB room with no remedy in sight? A&M has a 5 star in their QB room and another one committed in this class. A good recruiter like Jimbo can easily make a convincing pitch with that.

Which 5 star is in their QB room? Or maybe you're thinking about the 4-Star ranked five spots lower than Hudson Card, who somehow looked even shittier than Card did in his appearances this season?1256901380_ScreenShot2021-11-30at10_57_23AM.thumb.png.e2e989ac94e2895c6df4031d9c967bcd.png

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Please, please, please, please don't tell me you are referencing Haynes King as a 5-star.

He still maybe better than what we have in our QB room. By most accounts, Connor Weigman is a stud too. Who in our QB room would inspire confidence in an WR?

All the $9.95ers should go to $19.95, show their books, and distribute half to the NIL. Their's not one idiot on any site that can say they don't get $20 worth of enjoyment, insight, and something to do in their free time. The price hasn't gone up since they were created. I bet that would create $200k+ per month on all the Texas sites, and run off the tightwads.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, burdine said:

It's truly ridiculous we have not already raised $5K for Worthy.  It should be a $10K target anyway IMO.

If Stewart got $250k just to go to A&M what should we be doing for Worthy????

I get hating on the LHF and our bloated Athletic Department.

But this kid put forth a tremendous effort on our behalf.

He is truly worthy of our recognition.

This board talks a lot about what Texas should like on the field.  We agree that this year's team fell short. 

But Worthy exemplified what we want Texas Football to look like IMO.  If Surly can't muster that then we aren't who we think we are.

I already gave a $100 to the fund and I will give another $200 if at least ten others agree to contribute $200 more as well.

if you are going to talk shit about NIL and raising money, go pay for burnt ends first.

image.png.ddc91ed0363b78ede21360a670d123a1.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, burdine said:

Aren't there two big NIL announcements coming from UT though?  One very soon?  Seems like there will be ways to make it work indirectly.

From my understanding of the rumored NIL announcements, one was the annual $6k payment to athletes that was announced last week. That's nice but doesn't move the needle for the purposes of the current discussion (football 5 stars). No comment on the other thing. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

He still maybe better than what we have in our QB room. By most accounts, Connor Weigman is a stud too. Who in our QB room would inspire confidence in an WR?

If Stewart is hitching his wagon onto a true freshman QB then that's hilarious and it's already pretty hilarious he's going to that offense in the first place. Weigman ain't starting next year.

Despite having Casey Moon Ball Thompson and Hudson Happy Feet Card, we had a receiver within spitting distance of 1,000 yards. Think about that. We could barely throw passes over 15 yards this season and we had a dude almost get to 1,000 yards.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. That's what some of us have been working on for months. I wouldn't call it "indirectly" as that implies UT has a hand in it. This will work despite the efforts from our athletic department. But yes, eventually there will be ways for folks to help. But the thing is, there are right now. Burnt Ends. I don't know why you're poo-pooing it as you wait for something bigger, when what we're talking about is 10-100 bucks a month. If you're a big swinging dick, that's pocket change to you. If you're not, then what do you think you're waiting around for that's "better?" Contributing right now is better than sitting on your hands waiting for the perfect solution later. 

Not trying to pooh pooh anything.  Burnt Ends is awesome.  you guys are at the forefront.  

Just a normal successful guy with kids living in the burbs.

I liked the idea of the recognition for Worthy.  I thought he played his guts out for us.

13 minutes ago, burdine said:

Maybe I am.

I was waiting to see if UT was going to put a vehicle out there to contribute to.

But if they don't, then I'll be joining Burnt Ends.

wait...you chose to miss the boat to pay guys *THIS YEAR* because you were waiting on CHRIS PLONSKY to get some shit approved and rolled out?

go join burnt ends today, come on!

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Which 5 star is in their QB room? Or maybe you're thinking about the 4-Star ranked five spots lower than Hudson Card, who somehow looked even shittier than Card did in his appearances this season?1256901380_ScreenShot2021-11-30at10_57_23AM.thumb.png.e2e989ac94e2895c6df4031d9c967bcd.png

My bad on Haynes King. He was a 5 star when he committed to A&M, I believe. I didn't realize he lost one star. Still, I believe if we had an elite QB in the class and a decent record, we would have Stewart committed to us.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

From my understanding of the rumored NIL announcements, one was the annual $6k payment to athletes that was announced last week. That's nice but doesn't move the needle for the purposes of the current discussion (football 5 stars). No comment on the other thing. 

Your understanding is wrong. That isn't one of the big NIL announcements pending that people are discussing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

wait...you chose to miss the boat to pay guys *THIS YEAR* because you were waiting on CHRIS PLONSKY to get some shit approved and rolled out?

go join burnt ends today, come on!

I'm not trying to be better than anyone else.

There is some big NIL announcement in the next week or so.  Anybody know what it is?

Just now, burdine said:

I'm not trying to be better than anyone else.

There is some big NIL announcement in the next week or so.  Anybody know what it is?

Yes. And it's not something you or anyone else will be able to contribute to, particularly at the beginning, regardless of which initiative gets out there first. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, burdine said:

yes, people do know.

that said...no, you shouldn't be waiting on any announcement when there has been an option on the table for 3+ months that pays players NOW

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/burnt-ends-nil-program/

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, PapiShark said:

New poster and a long time lurker. Just graduated and moving soon to my new job. Been looking at all this NIL discussion and been wanting to contribute. Would love to contribute to Burnt Ends once I start my job after a few paychecks. Think we need to have more contributions and stop being fucking pussies and complain all the time. So fuck it, I'll start contributing.

Fast And Furious Shaw GIF by The Fast Saga

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, burdine said:

Good to know.  Then what the hell is it if folks can't contribute to it?

You do realize there are NON crowd-sourcing ways to do the NIL thing and get players paid, right? If youre looking for crowd sourcing, immediately, once again there's Burnt End options or slush fund options right here.

None of the initiatives coming out are going to be based on crowd sourcing, although I'm sure sure both have them as part of their long term road-maps. 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

No he's not because he'll transfer after his freshmen year if he doesn't get the ball enough.  Every player is a free agent now with the one time no penalty transfer rule.

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It’s actually amazing how short-sighted grown adult fans can be. He can take this money, transfer anywhere he wants, and still proceed as planned. Whatever that plan may be, Tic-tok house, live streaming sheep fucker, etc.

This is what I thought @Barbacoa mean when he said he's not giving up on Stewart. Let him spend his redshirt year on CS and then hopefully transfer here. That way he gets the money, comes to Texas and doesn't have another free transfer to use to leave.

Just so it does not get lost in my well-deserved public shaming.

I have already given a $100 to the Worthy Award. 

I will give another $200 if ten more want to also add $200.

Maybe this is more for the non Burnt Ends people.  Since the Burnt Ends folks are already doing their part.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I enjoy any and all NIL conversations and how people can get involved. There’s a giant project quite a few of us here are working on as well as people outside of the board. There’s another out there that I don’t have a lot of info on but looks to be substantial. Both of these NIL projects can coexist and both will be major benefits to UT if the proper funding and structures can be locked down and mainly, most of the funding goes directly to the kids.

There will be crowd sourcing efforts soon, hell Immamac and myself get drunk on a podcast and come up with crazy shit all the time. If you have an idea for one of those hit my DMs, if you want to contribute or know someone who legitimately wants to contribute over 100k hit my DMs, if you want to help and don’t want to break the bank then Burnt Ends and slush fund are for you

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, immamac said:

Everyone keeps referring to this fictitious "infrastructure" being the reason that Texas isn't in the bag game. Texas isn't in the bag game because boosters aren't interested in a bag game. It's that simple. It's not because they couldn't get a guy to do it or the university is in the way. It's because they don't actually give a shit enough to spend their real money on players. LOTS of money still thinks it's preposterous that we have to pay players at Texas. 

There are also lots of people throwing wild numbers out that make no sense for anyone with a reasonable brain. We crowd sourced 70k for a position group over a year and less than 3k as of now for the 2 badasses on our team and everyone wants to talk about all these deep pockets. UT athletics doesn't bring in revenue from the BMD exclusively. They bring it in from the t shirt fans and all the people willing to spend 2-300 each GameDay on shit. 

We have less than 1k people willing to pay players and less than 60 who are willing to pay 600 a year to do it. 

People want other people to pay players, when the reality is if you like a team YOU need to figure out how to pay players. I've made it incredibly easy and offered to "be the infrastructure" for anyone wanting to throw money at people and what we have is less than 1% of the fanbase participating. 

Start shaming everyone you know who likes the Longhorns and isn't involved in NIL at all. Tell them to come here and donate 10 to the slush fund. Imagine if 500k people gave 10 bucks. That's 5M we could slush to whoever we fucking wanted, instead everyone talks about shithead BMD like they are the only people who can do anything. It honestly pisses me off. 

I threw in another $100 for Worthy- is there a deal for RJohnson?  I’d be down for that as a contribution to. 
I really admire and respect what you had the vision to do for Burnt Endz- obviously, but I like the deal with Worthy and Johnson even more- it feels good to be able to give directly to a fan favorite just bc - those two bring me joy (and Bijan) and they are about it. It’s nice to be able to toss a little tip money their way for appreciation in doing that. 
I don’t understand why more people won’t do that when they will spend thousands on donations to LHF so they can spend hundreds on tickets. But 10’s on helping out the players is a bridge too far?  I’ve long ago given up on trying to figure people out. 
Thanks again for being that infrastructure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Do you think this is the case because the culture is not built into the university? I think it's a chicken or the egg kind of thing. "We've never done this before, why start now?" The infrastructure is more than just distribution. It's educating those with the power ($) on the benefits of playing the game. Instead, I believe they choose to believe they can just overcome it with "look at our great city" and "We're Texas!" and "we're doing it the right way".

I believe the NIL part will work out, eventually. However, we're talking about recruiting, which is a completely different animal. Telling a kid what he can make next year vs. handing him a bag of cash right now have two totally different impacts.

Many fans don't even want to watch our current team, much less pay the players. I also doubt most fans trust giving money to a slush fund, just my opinion.

The infra thing doesn't exist because people are in denial about how important depth is. 

NIL and Recruiting are THE SAME ANIMAL, this is a huge cognitive disconnect. Especially with how the Portal works now.

I mean we have freakin' players tweeting ❤️ surly horns burnt ends stuff on twitter. We have the AAS, On3, Yahoo news etc all writing about us. We are as legit as legit gets.

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You’ve kind of hit on a tension between supporting a college team and supporting the players with money. 

It is pretty damn expensive to be Joe Longhorn with season tickets. The guy who takes one kid to home games is shelling out a couple grand a year all told. He’s probably taking some shit from his wife about Saturdays in the fall and is forgoing some other stuff the family might want to do. He’ll pay it because of emotions and cause he wants to pass along his love to his kid. But there is a budget to his fandom. 

Now, in addition to that he’s supposed to pay the players directly? And keep in mind that nearly every Joe Longhorn would have (or thinks he would have) given his left nut for Mack Brown to show up to high school practice and ask “do you want to be a Longhorn?” 

I say this as a former D1 season ticket holder (gave them up when I moved) and die hard fan: I can’t think of a less satisfying way to drop 600 dollars than a direct payment to a D1 football player. And if my team ever hoists a trophy, I won’t feel better if I know that the backup LG bought a smart watch with my NIL contribution.

Pro teams don’t rattle the can to pay players directly, they sell the experience and fandom. Not many Cowboys fanatics would just EFT Dak 400 bucks, but they will pay twice that for GameDay. That’s why the model works and why college is in a weird spot. 

This is bullshit, they are both the same thing. Your College Team IS THE PLAYERS, they are what make the team good or bad. The Uniforms don't do shit. College isn't in a weird spot, people are cheap and don't want to pay players for the work they do. The university CANNOT pay players more than they already do, they are paying them the maximum stipend and a bigger one than most universities already and complying with title 9 stuff. The money you spend on the university doesn't make the football team better, the coaches salary and all that is taken care of from TV revenue and BMD. Your season tickets just pay for the gameday experience and profitability around the home games (which is honestly not much).

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

It's against human nature to shell out money for terrible products. You have to be a die hard fan with money to continue to pay for what we are getting in return. Shaming fans for not contributing more at a time when their team constantly gets embarrassed is not the way to do it. It will have the opposite affect. Crowd sourcing NIL was a noble effort and would have had more impact if the team was playing well but you can't realistically expect it to be a meaningful contributor to the team's success. At the end of the day, it always come down to the die hard boosters.

This is the dumbest thing man, it's not about the NOW it's about the future. NIL isn't about rewarding performance or talented players, it's about creating an institution that people are attracted to. NIL is the magnet it's not the net.

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

And they are probably right about that.  

But my point is we need to tap in to the really big money,  and make them feel comfortable doing it.

This is my point,  they (BMD'S) are willing to give,  and are comfortable doing it this way even though it hasn't worked on the field,  even though they built the field.  

This is already in the final stages of being done. We have been working really hard to make this a reality and not go to fucking jail, we have told you it's coming be patient. 

15 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

In fairness to IT, they did have a deal with Hudson Card to get him paid. You can argue about whether he was the right player to reward, but at least they are trying. 

IT only paid Card because he was QB1 and they wanted exclusive scoop to QB1 thoughts whatever. It's stupid because it was just to get subscriptions it wasn't actually to help Card or the QB position at Texas. It was solely to drive subscriptions and traffic to their site. This is the problem with "traditional thinking" mixed with NIL. If you are looking for real ROI instead of "enjoyment" from the payment then it starts to look a lot like that, no QB is looking at the Card deal and saying fuck yeah I'll get an Inside Texas exclusive media contract that sucks if I go to Texas. 

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

sure, and they 100% slanted their coverage based on that agreement - for *nothing* in return.

their weekly videos with him go up on his PERSONAL youtube channel with dropping views.

image.png.3911628541894181a8df3454399724d5.png

he has his subscribers set to private so can't see that growth.

he has like 25k followers on instagram

it's a shitty deal all the way around. it isn't going to keep him at Texas. it doesn't provide good content and it cost an arm and a leg. it's a 1 off deal.

This. There is no continuity and no depth to the deal. The only NIL deals that are going to matter are entire position groups or entire sports or entire department NIL deals. Group NIL is the only thing that matters and not performance based.

Paying you superstars is for the big corporate sponsors who can throw big money around to large audiences to drive a product. Paying everyone on the team is for everyone else to take care of and pick up the slack on.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I threw in another $100 for Worthy- is there a deal for RJohnson?  I’d be down for that as a contribution to. 
I really admire and respect what you had the vision to do for Burnt Endz- obviously, but I like the deal with Worthy and Johnson even more- it feels good to be able to give directly to a fan favorite just bc - those two bring me joy (and Bijan) and they are about it. It’s nice to be able to toss a little tip money their way for appreciation in doing that. 
I don’t understand why more people won’t do that when they will spend thousands on donations to LHF so they can spend hundreds on tickets. But 10’s on helping out the players is a bridge too far?  I’ve long ago given up on trying to figure people out. 

Yes props to the Surly overlords.  I'm sure they commit more than $$$.  I bet their time is pretty valuable too.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well the hard thing is we can’t base it on performance and they have to do something for it. That’s why you don’t see it all over, also people are stupid 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Well the hard thing is we can’t base it on performance and they have to do something for it. That’s why you don’t see it all over, also people are stupid 

I'd be fine with a digital photo of him getting the MFer wallet with the cash in it.  That would be fine consideration in my book.

• Haha 1

Just now, burdine said:

I'd be fine with a digital photo of him getting the MFer wallet with the cash in it.  That would be fine consideration in my book.

Ya but does compliance think that is fair market value. That would be an appearance that compliance has to approve. Only thing they don’t is autographs. Now a signed bad mFer wallet that’s raffles off to the people that pay in…easy

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yeah I know. I get all that. I have no idea what worthy is doing for the cash (I know y’all made it legit) and I don’t care- or need to see a benefit. He’s already made me happy so why not share that back with him? 

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ya but does compliance think that is fair market value. That would be an appearance that compliance has to approve. Only thing they don’t is autographs. Now a signed bad mFer wallet that’s raffles off to the people that pay in…easy

Our compliance doesn't approve autographs as NIL? That's hilarious assuming it's not dictated by law. Autographs are the most basic form of NIL value. 

Or did that mean autographs are the one thing they don't have to approve?

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah I know. I get all that. I have no idea what worthy is doing for the cash (I know y’all made it legit) and I don’t care- or need to see a benefit. He’s already made me happy so why not share that back with him? 

Yep and that’s the right attitude everyone needs to have with the NIL. Expect some return and you’re going to be disappointed and an asshole

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Our compliance doesn't approve autographs as NIL? That's hilarious assuming it's not dictated by law. Autographs are the most basic form of NIL value. 

No the opposite, we don’t HAVE to have compliance approve an autograph. You want a 10k signed Worthy football, that’s your decision and Plonsky doesn’t have a say in the matter 

Just now, RGBIII said:

No the opposite, we don’t HAVE to have compliance approve an autograph. You want a 10k signed Worthy football, that’s your decision and Plonsky doesn’t have a say in the matter 

Yeah I realized that was what the sentence meant a bit too late. So raffling off signed items seems like the easiest method. One ticket to the raffle for every $x paid in. And an extra ticket if you pay in with a $100 handshake. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Yep and that’s the right attitude everyone needs to have with the NIL. Expect some return and you’re going to be disappointed and an asshole

To be frank, I watched zero seconds of the Card and TE content. I know that they had to do it because those are the rules, but they are Longhorns and that is enough of a benefit for me.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Might have missed this point of the convo, but could we do a raffle based system to make this slush fund about signed memorabilia? $25-$50 tickets to win a signed football/helmet by worthy or whomever the recipient is?

This could get more buy-in from T-shirt fans and something Surly could cross promote on social media.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

If and when Texas gets this NIL worked out and players around the country see the possibilities, the portal could be a crazy pipeline of quality starters and contributors. You very well could have kids lined up begging to be on the roster. You could have a walk-on program better than anyone has ever seen.

Unless you're paying them to use and endorse a particular steroid, I'm pretty sure this will remain mid-90s Nebraska's title.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting