Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah that Kelly 2016 season record for ND of 4-8 was quite impressive... 😋

Everybody get a good look at LTtxfan! He'd forego a national title appearance in year 3 and multiple college football playoff appearances for a fucked up season in the middle of that run. Who else is in on this take with him, raise your hands ... oh yeah, fucking crickets.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This is a reactionary opinion.  There isn't enough data on Sark yet to make that judgement

It's not an opinion, it is an absolute fact and there is more than enough data on Sarkisian. 

Sarkisian went 5-7 at Texas. He had a historic 6 game losing streak, a streak that hasn't happened to any coach at Texas since 1956.

He lost to Kansas at home. 

Those are all facts - no opinion whatsoever. 

Sarkisian's career conference record is 34-33.  By comparison Tom Herman is 34-17, Charlie Strong is 43-37, and Mack Brown is 157-87-1. 

Sarkisian's single best season as a HC is a 9-3 year where took over a loaded roster recruited by a monster recruiting staff (Kiffin/Ogeron/Tee Martin/Clay Helton, etc) at USC. That USC team didn't require a scheme change (they used the same exact verbiage and scheme) or a talent upgrade, and yet he finished 4th in the Pac 12 South and 5th in the conference overall, that's his peak in 7 years as a HC. He's finished ranked only twice in his seven year career (at 20 and 25) and only coached 1 bowl game where he won by a FG over a Nebraska team coached by Barney Cotton. By comparison Herman has finished ranked 4 out of his 6 seasons and is 6-0 in bowl games with 2 top 10 finishes, Charlie finished ranked 3 out of 10 seasons and coached bowls in 8 of his 10 years, and Mack finished ranked in 19 of his 33 years including a National Title and 6 top 5 finishes and way too many bowl games to count. 

There's not a single opinion here but there is more than enough data to call Sarkisian an abject failure this season and more than enough to determine that he is exactly who he has been and that who he has been is not good enough for Texas.  How much more data do you need? Do you need him to "get his guys in" like he did at Washington? Let's take a look at that data - in year 4 and 5 at Washington when he "got his guys in" he was 5-4 in conference both seasons, and was blown out multiple times. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Motherfucker, he can coach OLB/DE.  Choate is a motherfucking Chode.

You have to know where people coach. Choate coaches ILBs. PK coaches the edge. Ed O is a DL coach. I believe Choate is the only coach with ILB coaching experience. You cant just hire big names and stick them where you want. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

You have to know where people coach. Choate coaches ILBs. PK coaches the edge. Ed O is a DL coach. I believe Choate is the only coach with ILB coaching experience. You cant just hire big names and stick them where you want. 

I suggested we get rid of PK.  Keep up.  If GP is on board why we need PK?

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It's not an opinion, it is an absolute fact and there is more than enough data on Sarkisian. 

Sarkisian went 5-7 at Texas. He had a historic 6 game losing streak, a streak that hasn't happened to any coach at Texas since 1956.

He lost to Kansas at home. 

Those are all facts - no opinion whatsoever. 

Sarkisian's career conference record is 34-33.  By comparison Tom Herman is 34-17, Charlie Strong is 43-37, and Mack Brown is 157-87-1. 

Sarkisian's single best season as a HC is a 9-3 year where took over a loaded roster recruited by a monster recruiting staff (Kiffin/Ogeron/Tee Martin/Clay Helton, etc) at USC. That USC team didn't require a scheme change (they used the same exact verbiage and scheme) or a talent upgrade, and yet he finished 4th in the Pac 12 South and 5th in the conference overall, that's his peak in 7 years as a HC. He's finished ranked only twice in his seven year career (at 20 and 25) and only coached 1 bowl game where he won by a FG over a Nebraska team coached by Barney Cotton. By comparison Herman has finished ranked 4 out of his 6 seasons and is 6-0 in bowl games with 2 top 10 finishes, Charlie finished ranked 3 out of 10 seasons and coached bowls in 8 of his 10 years, and Mack finished ranked in 19 of his 33 years including a National Title and 6 top 5 finishes and way too many bowl games to count. 

There's not a single opinion here but there is more than enough data to call Sarkisian an abject failure this season and more than enough to determine that he is exactly who he has been and that who he has been is not good enough for Texas.  How much more data do you need? Do you need him to "get his guys in" like he did at Washington? Let's take a look at that data - in year 4 and 5 at Washington when he "got his guys in" he was 5-4 in conference both seasons, and was blown out multiple times. 

While I don't necessarily disagree with this take, I also feel like times are changing fast and looking at the past pre-portal, pre-NIL, pre-social media all day every day coaching records is not as directly applicable anymore. Lots of things have changed in the past 6 years. You can already see the change happening looking at the Alabama/Clemson machines that suddenly look a little dated and need of more than cosmetic maintenance.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Positive spin: GP Announced in 10 minutes

Negative spin: Oh boy it's the TXHSFB playoffs

Pure Speculation but you can see Stings Mask in the background. As we all know, Steve Borden aka Sting was born in Omaha, Nebraska. Taking this in with the recent news that the LSU WR coach is on his way to none other than Nebraska to join Scott Frost, we can only assume that this suggests that The Undertaker will be the next WR coach for LSU.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with this take, I also feel like times are changing fast and looking at the past pre-portal, pre-NIL, pre-social media all day every day coaching records is not as directly applicable anymore. Lots of things have changed in the past 6 years. You can already see the change happening looking at the Alabama/Clemson machines that suddenly look a little dated and need of more than cosmetic maintenance.

The Alabama machine that just won a title last year and playing in the Sec championship this year after losing 5 first round draft picks and have a on 6 titles in 12 years?

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You mean the Alabama machine that won the NC last year before losing almost their entire coaching staff and is, let me check the notes, back in the SEC championship & a win away from being back in the CFP & would likely be the odds on favorite to win said CFP should they make it?

Yeah they're really slipping

Texas had the #3 recruiting class once and it was a complete shit show. So maybe this not so good one will actually be good. Maybe sark turns it around. Probably not. But maybe with aggy recruiting lights out and us sucking for a couple of more years (sigh) the next hire, we will drop whatever money to a proven coach. Because we would be so far behind everyone else.

10 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Pure Speculation but you can see Stings Mask in the background. As we all know, Steve Borden aka Sting was born in Omaha, Nebraska. Taking this in with the recent news that the LSU WR coach is on his way to none other than Nebraska to join Scott Frost, we can only assume that this suggests that The Undertaker will be the next WR coach for LSU.

We lost the Undertaker too?!? Fire Sark!

2 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This is what you posted:

You were speaking of the man, not this past season.  It is not a fact.  It is an opinion.  If you disagree with that, then send me your address and I'll gladly ship you a dictionary.  I do not dispute any of the other points you made about last season, other than to say that none of that shit happened in a vacuum.  He inherited a broken program and a garbage roster.  I also don't give a fuck about what he did when he was half in the bag at Washington and USC, as it is all immaterial to my core point which is that firing the head coach after one season is a STUPID. FUCKING. IDEA.

Agreed. He is not an abject failure. He figured out a way to make a lot of money from football programs that can’t pick a head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I don't know the inner workings of our program, but from a fan's perspective, it really has been a decade-long tale of bad choices made at nearly every fork in the road. 

If Mack hadn't put it on cruise control, maybe he's still coaching Texas to more respectable results than we've seen since. Not titles, probably, but decent seasons. From there, though, the blame shifts squarely to Patterson, whose trendy hiring of Strong began the true death spiral.

Once Strong's failings no longer could be tolerated, Texas overlooked the clear character flaws of one Tom Herman and hoped he'd quit being a royal douche. Shockingly, he didn't, though he did show some signs of being able to coach. But his turtling nature led him to play Ehlinger nearly every down for the kid's whole Texas career, ultimately scuttling the retention/development of Buechele, Rising and Jackson and turning a fully stocked QB room into a moldy loaf of Okie bread named Thompson.

Then Mensa scored what seemed a nice win with the commitment of Milroe, only to then lose him when Ewers said he'd be coming to Austin. Of course, Ewers soon left us empty-handed at the altar, Milton didn't return and Herman finally got canned for continuing to be himself.

We then dragged around forever trying to decipher Urban's hotel drapes, only to then desperately hire a guy who can scheme to score a lot of points when he isn't fully in charge of acquiring the talent or running the program but appears to be a less adroit decision maker on a team-wide level. 

Perhaps things are finally about to turn in the right direction, especially with the injection of massive NIL money. I sure hope so. But perhaps they aren't. The mere fact that after all this time we're still wondering is the true Mack Brown Curse.  

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Alabama machine that just won a title last year and playing in the Sec championship this year after losing 5 first round draft picks and have a on 6 titles in 12 years?

39 minutes ago, hook me said:

You mean the Alabama machine that won the NC last year before losing almost their entire coaching staff and is, let me check the notes, back in the SEC championship & a win away from being back in the CFP & would likely be the odds on favorite to win said CFP should they make it?

Yeah they're really slipping

Yeah, that's the one... The one that lost to 8&4 and that this year isn't going to even make the playoffs. (Slipping and still being really, really good are relative).

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, that's the one... The one that lost to 8&4 and that this year isn't going to even make the playoffs. (Slipping and still being really, really good are relative).

Yeah you're a fucking complete ape. Get the fuck out of here dipshit with this stupid ass take. Fucking chimp.

27 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Mack hadn't put it on cruise control, maybe he's still coaching Texas to more respectable results than we've seen since. Not titles, probably, but decent seasons. From there, though, the blame shifts squarely to Patterson, whose trendy hiring of Strong began the true death spiral.

I still want to know what happened in the alternate universe where Colt wasn't hurt, we beat Bama and Mack rides off into the sunset (instead of sticking around with a half-ass effort while simultaneously demanding a complete offensive scheme change).  Muschamp almost certainly would not have lasted LONG term but I tend to think he doesn't immediately drive us off the cliff like Mack did.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting