Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

What does Aggy do to keep guys like Harris and Stewart from taking the bag then portaging after a year? There’s gotta be some hook right? Still can’t believe Demas hasn’t left. 

I suspect staying after a year is just the path of least resistance. Like how I have a gym membership I never use

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am counting on 3 guys that showed some flashes with good effort to catch on in their second season with Flood. I am hoping the following becomes true:

1) Jake becomes the dominate player that we did not see but the potential is there.

2) Karic consistently brings the nastiness we saw at times with some smarts we did not see to the RT spot.

3) Conner becomes a serviceable guard because a portal guy will be no better than a push due to being in the system for the first year.

I would love to think Banks is the starting LT but he will be a freshman with growing pains and Jones even if pushed just won't get any better. That is the position I don't see improving without an awesome portal.

I agree. I'm not as low as the guys we have returning as some others - esp. with another year under Flood. Plug in the Minny guy and maybe another transfer or a freshman that exceeds expectations and we should be okay. 

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Jimbo better have good answer on who DC is going to be....

Narrator: He doesn't

That's not going to have an impact at all. It was a great thing for aggy to lose a quality DC but guys about to get paid don't give a shit about who their defensive coordinator is. 

They could hire Vance Bedford and Harris is still going aggy. 

21 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I’m honestly not that high on Harris and always preferred Brooks. But I’m assuming they a$ked him to come to clear the air regarding the DC situation and reinforce he should trust them regarding the hire. Going to be interesting if it turns out to be the Bama S coach. If Harris is smart he should just wait. Same with Bryce. 

I've seen Harris play several times and he is a beast.  He takes good angles, tackles well and is a true island CB.  Not sure what you were watching.  Brooks is also fabulous.  I'm not smart/knowledgeable enough to declare one superior to the other, but I would be thrilled with either.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I fail to see the strength of the “they don’t even have a DC” argument when everyone knows we’re going to have a different DC after next season

Then Harris would go to Alabama. 

As Dr Teeth mentioned above, aggy is now trending for a Clemson recruit that decommitted because they "don't have a DC". This shit is so obvious. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s been 12 years in the desert and you can make a pretty strong argument that it’s because of subpar OL, DL and QB play. Maybe we are finally addressing all three really well in one class and that will more than make up for misses elsewhere. 

If your DB's only have to cover for 3 seconds, vs 7, there is a huge difference. Fix the trenches, you solve 90% of the problem. 

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gibbs might have permanent nerve damage. Not sure that happens. 

Williams and Ewers today. Campbell, Red, Brice and Agbo this week. Maybe a safety surprise. Maybe Brooks wakes up and realizes Coombs is gone. Maybe Texas pulls a miracle off and Matthews comes our way. 

They must have a WR or two in the portal. 

I’ve written Anderson, Harris and Stewart off a while ago and have heard no reason to change my thinking now. 

Gonna a be a top 5 class. Could finish barely above Georgia if they close almost all of the guys I mentioned. 

I take it Red's convo with Sarkisian went well?

17 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It’s amusing to me that TAMU is literally buying a class of 5 stars, yet national blowhards like Rovell are wailing the death of CFB due to the latest NIL program from Texas. 

Because our deal is out in the open and theirs is not?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Gibbs might have permanent nerve damage. Not sure that happens. 

Williams and Ewers today. Campbell, Red, Brice and Agbo this week. Maybe a safety surprise. Maybe Brooks wakes up and realizes Coombs is gone. Maybe Texas pulls a miracle off and Matthews comes our way. 

They must have a WR or two in the portal. 

I’ve written Anderson, Harris and Stewart off a while ago and have heard no reason to change my thinking now. 

Gonna a be a top 5 class. Could finish barely above Georgia if they close almost all of the guys I mentioned. 

Williams, Campbell, Red, Brice, Agbo = 283.88 (currently #5)

+ Brooks = 289.76 (#5)

+ Matthews = 295.86 (#4)

Personally, I decided long ago that the '22 class couldn't hurt me anymore. We've closed very well with some incredible fortune in the carousel. I'm happy with the way things have turned out and looking forward to post-NSD transfers and staff changes.

The only big recruitments we are currently winning over aggy are for OL. Where we just happen to have a NIL deal in place that's going to pay offensive lineman a substantial amount of money. 
Perroni mentioned that aggy was also trying to get back in it with Campbell so this wasn't just Banks. 
Some of you are terrible at connecting the dots. The moment Texas committed money to a certain position is the moment aggy's bags were neutralized. 

Everyone will have the same or better NIL deal next year, if not before NSD2. The arms race has begun, it's just a matter of who are the USA's and who are the USSR's.

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

Williams, Campbell, Red, Brice, Agbo = 283.88 (currently #5)

+ Brooks = 289.76 (#5)

+ Matthews = 295.86 (#4)

Personally, I decided long ago that the '22 class couldn't hurt me anymore. We've closed very well with some incredible fortune in the carousel. I'm happy with the way things have turned out and looking forward to post-NSD transfers and staff changes.

If we finish by adding Ewers and Campbell, I’ll be happy with this class. Then go boost up the D and WR through the portal. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The only big recruitments we are currently winning over aggy are for OL. Where we just happen to have a NIL deal in place that's going to pay offensive lineman a substantial amount of money. 

Perroni mentioned that aggy was also trying to get back in it with Campbell so this wasn't just Banks. 

Some of you are terrible at connecting the dots. The moment Texas committed money to a certain position is the moment aggy's bags were neutralized. 

You're probably right but Texas can also offer immediate playing time, arguably the best OL coach in college football in a scheme that is proven to get guys drafted, blocking for the best QB prospect to come out of Texas in almost 20 years (if he does what everybody expects him to do) and a semi-legitimate argument that they could be the difference between 5-7 and 10-2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It’s amusing to me that TAMU is literally buying a class of 5 stars, yet national blowhards like Rovell are wailing the death of CFB due to the latest NIL program from Texas. 

People are fucking clueless.  I had an SMU relative yesterday say "hey what about this 50K per OL deal and Ewers deal, isn't Texas setting a precedent".  I say "you realize Ewers got a million dollars last year from a company based in Texas right? and the OL money doesn't come from the University right? and aggy paid 300K under the table for a WR THIS Year right?"

completely fucking confused look on his face.

I concluded with "you realize that everyone is only spun up because big bad Texas is FINALLY going to have a payroll to meet(hint hint)...and they know it will be LEGAL and the highest payroll in the country."

needless to say no more asking about the Texas NIL money for the rest of the day.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's not going to have an impact at all. It was a great thing for aggy to lose a quality DC but guys about to get paid don't give a shit about who their defensive coordinator is. 

They could hire Vance Bedford and Harris is still going aggy. 

Not true and matters to Harris or he wouldn't have brought it up. He's going to get paid no matter where he goes, sure likely more one place over another, but playing in a system you prefer matters. He'd be Alabama bound if it was closer to home.

A top 5 class with some nice transfers makes this go from looking like a dumpster fire with at least some potential. 
I have no clue if Sark is going to fix this thing but at least now it's not looking nearly as terrible. 

And it’s a top 5 class loaded with the type of players that are usually tough to find in Texas. There are a ton of elite skill players every single year in-state, not so much on the lines. It’s the opposite of Herman’s highly rated classes, which should be a welcome outcome and a necessity for our upcoming conference switch.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not true and matters to Harris or he wouldn't have brought it up. He's going to get paid no matter where he goes, sure likely more one place over another, but playing in a system you prefer matters. He'd be Alabama bound if it was closer to home.

So when Harris signs or commits to aggy in the next few days without a DC what's the argument going to be? 

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

The way I read it with my "burnt orange googles" is that Harris ........ oh damn it even the goggles are not helping! This is nothing but a positive for aggy unless Perroni is lying for the clicks to try to damping some of the good news we are about to get.

Is that like glamping, but under an overpass or something during a driving storm?  

We call that homeless around here since terms like bum and drag worm are no longer considered polite. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

People are fucking clueless.  I had an SMU relative yesterday say "hey what about this 50K per OL deal and Ewers deal, isn't Texas setting a precedent".  I say "you realize Ewers got a million dollars last year from a company based in Texas right? and the OL money doesn't come from the University right? and aggy paid 300K under the table for a WR THIS Year right?"

completely fucking confused look on his face.

I concluded with "you realize that everyone is only spun up because big bad Texas is FINALLY going to have a payroll to meet(hint hint)...and they know it will be LEGAL and the highest payroll in the country."

needless to say no more asking about the Texas NIL money for the rest of the day.

Had all these guys who beat the drum for fairness (pay these guys) thought about Texas and their big bank account,  they never would have been for all of this. And yes, they don't care much about all these other schools buying players. When Cam Newton was rolling at Auburn,  not much talk about how he got there... the list is 300 miles long of schools buying players, but Texas gets into it through NIL and its old man screams at clouds. Jackasses 

• Haha 1

Normally I’m one to discredit talk of pay for play or buying recruits, but the fact that a$m has landed and continues to emerge as front runners for multiple 5 star defensive talents, kind of slaps you in the face with just how egregious it really is. Despite a relatively average year from Jimbo, despite not having a DC, and despite the fact that a lot of these guys are OOS with major power 5 schools in their own backyards, yet Aggy is reeling them in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

It’s a nice throw arm strength wise but he isn’t going to get away with throwing off his back foot and across his body at the next level. He has the Casey Thompson throwing with almost both feet off the ground mechanics and he’s going to have to change that if he wants to reach his ceiling.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting