Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Campbell isn't playing C.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Campbell is obviously a leagues better athlete than Majors, but center is hard to pick up in one offseason.

Size queen flood isn't trotting Majors out there again with this group of recruits playing bench. Not unless they shoot him up with gallons of steroids all offseason first. Fine, then it'll be Angilau at center and Campbell at guard. 

Edited by Bevo14

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bledsoe arrived later per Gerry and missed tonight's practice, but should get to see him tomorrow.

That's disappointing -- Bledsoe wasn't allowed to play this past year because the UIL ruled him ineligible to play when he moved... really hoped that he would get as many reps as possible 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/local-football-star-sidelined-after-being-ruled-ineligible-to-play/ar-AAOylY6

No. 1 LB Harold Perkins will make January visits after UA All-America Game announcement
BRIAN DOHN

"The name, on its own, is big. It's Texas," he said. "It's in a big city like Austin. I feel like with the new staff they got from 'Bama, the can carry that over to Texas.

"On top of that, they have the NIL deals now. There is a lot of money is Austin. I like two hour from there."

Spoiler

No. 1 LB Harold Perkins will make January visits after UA All-America Game announcement
BRIAN DOHN

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The No. 1 linebacker in the country will announce a commitment during Sunday's Under Armour All-America Game, but it will not signal the end of his recruitment.

Harold Perkins, the Cypress (Texas) Cy Park standout has LSU, Texas A&M and Texas on his short list, but he said he plans on making January official visits to Florida, Miami and USC.

"First and foremost, this is a dream for me (to announce at the game) because I've been watching this game since I was small," said the 6-foot-2 1/2, 210-pound Perkins, who is the No. 5 player in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. "I always thought I would do it here regardless, so that is why I am going to do it at the game.

"I didn't sign. I am signing in February."

Perkins already made official visits to Texas and Texas A&M in June. He is also keen on LSU.

"With those three schools I know I can go in there and play early," he said. "I feel like I could beat the other guys out for a spot and I feel like the coaches will put me in the right position to make plays and help my team be successful.

Perkins has has not set any of the three officials for January, but he knows he wants to visit the two schools in the Sunshine State as well as USC.

"I only took two (officials) so I still have three," he said. "I always wanted to go to Florida once, but I never had a chance to go. I was supposed to go but something happened and I wound up not going.

"With Miami, it's Miami. Gotta go see that. With USC, it's the same thing as with Miami. USC was that school. USC was like the 'Bamas and all that."

With the schools he officially visited, Perkins said Texas' proximity is one of the things that stood out.

"The name, on its own, is big. It's Texas," he said. "It's in a big city like Austin. I feel like with the new staff they got from 'Bama, the can carry that over to Texas.

"On top of that, they have the NIL deals now. There is a lot of money is Austin. I like two hour from there."

Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian and assistant coach Jeff Banks are leading the recruitment of Perkins.

"They are cool. I like them," Perkins said. "They are real. I like Banks. I feel like he is the same person every time."

The week prior to his June visit Texas, he made an official to Texas A&M and has remained in constant contact with the Aggies coaching staff.

"They are in the SEC, for one, and then their crowd is crazy," Perkins said. "I deal with (linebackers) coach (Tyler) Santucci and coach Jimbo (Fisher). I worked out with (Santucci), and it wasn't a workout for me or for them. I just wanted to see how he coached and how he prepared.

"I like the preparation and stuff. He's real firm. He's not afraid to coach you. He speaks his mind. I like that."

Perkins, who is originally from New Orleans, acknowledged he has not had a lot of conversations with LSU's new coaching staff, but he still likes them a lot.

"At the end of the day, it's home," Perkins said. "They are always going to have a spot in my heart."

The players LSU sends to NFL is something Perkins has tracked.

"You have all these great linebackers in the league that are putting on for the city," Perkins said. "They are doing there thing. They are going to develop players."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

BRIAN DOHN

Reveal hidden contents

BRIAN DOHN

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The No. 1 linebacker in the country will announce a commitment during Sunday's Under Armour All-America Game, but it will not signal the end of his recruitment.

Harold Perkins, the Cypress (Texas) Cy Park standout has LSU, Texas A&M and Texas on his short list, but he said he plans on making January official visits to Florida, Miami and USC.

"First and foremost, this is a dream for me (to announce at the game) because I've been watching this game since I was small," said the 6-foot-2 1/2, 210-pound Perkins, who is the No. 5 player in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. "I always thought I would do it here regardless, so that is why I am going to do it at the game.

"I didn't sign. I am signing in February."

Perkins already made official visits to Texas and Texas A&M in June. He is also keen on LSU.

"With those three schools I know I can go in there and play early," he said. "I feel like I could beat the other guys out for a spot and I feel like the coaches will put me in the right position to make plays and help my team be successful.

Perkins has has not set any of the three officials for January, but he knows he wants to visit the two schools in the Sunshine State as well as USC.

"I only took two (officials) so I still have three," he said. "I always wanted to go to Florida once, but I never had a chance to go. I was supposed to go but something happened and I wound up not going.

"With Miami, it's Miami. Gotta go see that. With USC, it's the same thing as with Miami. USC was that school. USC was like the 'Bamas and all that."

With the schools he officially visited, Perkins said Texas' proximity is one of the things that stood out.

Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian and assistant coach Jeff Banks are leading the recruitment of Perkins.

"They are cool. I like them," Perkins said. "They are real. I like Banks. I feel like he is the same person every time."

The week prior to his June visit Texas, he made an official to Texas A&M and has remained in constant contact with the Aggies coaching staff.

"They are in the SEC, for one, and then their crowd is crazy," Perkins said. "I deal with (linebackers) coach (Tyler) Santucci and coach Jimbo (Fisher). I worked out with (Santucci), and it wasn't a workout for me or for them. I just wanted to see how he coached and how he prepared.

"I like the preparation and stuff. He's real firm. He's not afraid to coach you. He speaks his mind. I like that."

Perkins, who is originally from New Orleans, acknowledged he has not had a lot of conversations with LSU's new coaching staff, but he still likes them a lot.

"At the end of the day, it's home," Perkins said. "They are always going to have a spot in my heart."

The players LSU sends to NFL is something Perkins has tracked.

"You have all these great linebackers in the league that are putting on for the city," Perkins said. "They are doing there thing. They are going to develop players."

He watched Stewart and learned he can get aggy to keep handing him more and more cash by drawing things out and flirting with Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sweet nothings from Roach

Spoiler

— It will be Texas or Oklahoma for Devon Campbell. The five-star offensive lineman from Arlington Bowie said that he will spend the next month considering the two with his family. Campbell said he's done with visits and won't make anymore which is huge considering Oklahoma would have another official visit to use on him thanks to the coaching change. I still think Texas holds the edge here, though nothing is done. Campbell is also trying to quiet the noise around him. When I asked if any guys at the game had been working on him he said he just wanted to lay low and not talk much with others about recruiting. On the field, Campbell drew some of the strongest reviews of the day. The offensive line coaches singled him out as being special in what they saw. 247Sports national analyst Chris Singletary told me Campbell grabbed his attention immediately as a physical tone-setter with a nasty attitude. early in practice. He feels Campbell has special potential to be an all-pro interior lineman.

— Texas will be a hat on the table for Omari Abor, but I don't feel it will be the pick. Texas ran hot and cold through this recruitment, and while there was some buzz a few weeks ago, I don't think there's anything to it. Ohio State, Alabama and Texas A&M are the other schools to watch here. Ohio State is the smart money, but there is a little bit of Texas A&M buzz lingering. Abor did tell me he would be taking visits even after he announces on Sunday, he plans to take visits up until he signs in February so I can't totally close the book on him.

— Harold Perkins is going both ways playing linebacker and running back. He's close friends with Abor and will follow the same path of announcing at the game on Sunday and then take three official visits during January. Miami, Florida and USC are in the mix to get visits, but Texas A&M still seems to be the heavy favorite. Perkins did say that he loves Austin and the NIL possibilities there, and Texas won't go away quietly but I just don't see it happening at this point.

— Kelvin Banks and Neto Umeozulu both had some strong moments in a practice that didn't feature a lot from the linemen. Banks said he's thrilled about his decision to commit to Texas, and credited the coaches for closing strong when he thought he would carry his recruitment into February. Banks said he has been working on Campbell a little bit but he wasn't pushing too hard as they are all just there to have a good time.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Size queen flood isn't trotting Majors out there again with this group of recruits playing bench. Not unless they shoot him up with gallons of steroids all offseason first. Fine, then it'll be Angilau at center and Campbell at guard. 

They already tried Angilau at C and never went forward with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Is this what the 9.95ers are saying? 

Gerry Hamilton and Justin Wells were asked if there was any chance Campbell would sign with aggy as there were rumors of aggy trying to get back into the recruitment. They both said "0%" and were pretty much implying that Campbell signed. 

Barbacoa said he signed. 

Sark also sent out his normal commitment tweet a few minutes after the NSD1 deadline that still hasn't gone public. Right before that Campbell's dad tweeted something that suggested he might have signed with several Longhorn staffers liking the tweet. Reading the tea leaves, it certainly seems like Campbell signed and is just waiting to make his announcement at the time he already had scheduled. 

• Hook 'Em 4

km.png
12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Supposedly this has been removed, but $9.95er tweet

10823468.png

Initial takeaways from Under Armour All-America Game practices

ByANDREW IVINS.           8 hours ago

Under Armour Day One Practice Recap

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The first day of Under Armour All-America Bowl prep is officially in the books as over 100 of the nation's top seniors got together for a light two-hour practice inside Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex on Wednesday night. While there were a few competitive periods, most of the focus appeared to be on installing plays and getting to know each other. With that being said, here are some initial thoughts and takeaways after getting a chance to size up some of the best of the best in the class of 2022.

Texas A&M's passing game is about to get better

Jimbo Fisher's Aggies have completed just three passes for over 40 yards this season. Is that low number because of the quarterbacks or the wide receivers? That's up for debate, but the future of Texas A&M's passing attack appears to be pretty bright based upon what we saw Wednesday night. Conner Weigman, who signed with the Aggies a few weeks ago, had one of the best outings of the five quarterbacks on hand as he showed plenty of touch and didn't make many, if any, poor decisions. The sequence of the night for him came during 7-on-7 play when he put the ball exactly where it needed to be on three consecutive throws to three different levels of the field.

While Weigman looked the part, it was his future teammates that also kind of stole the show. During 1-on-1s, Texas A&M wide receiver signees Evan Stewart and Chris Marshall pretty much had their way with opposing defensive backs. Stewart, who is elite when it comes to changing directions, created free release after free release with his nifty footwork before racing down the field for touchdown after touchdown. Marshall, on the other hand, used his bigger frame to power his way past defenders and generate what would have been monster chunk plays in an actual game. Expect to hear a lot about Weigman, Stewart and Marshall in the coming days.

UNC's Travis Shaw is just a monster of a human

It's talented and large group of defensive linemen in Orlando this week, but no one is as big as North Carolina signee Travis Shaw. He's listed at 6-foot-5, 310 pounds, but made Georgia signee Bear Alexander – who is hovering right around 6-foot-3, 325 pounds – look small. Now the big question always is, can someone that big actually move? With Shaw the answer seems to be yes. Early on in practice, each defensive lineman had to jump up and high point a football as if they were playing defensive back. Shaw, who is also a member of his school's basketball team, ran up and leaped into the air before snagging the ball with one hand. Impressive.

Other eye catchers on Day 1 include just based on frames/builds include: Georgia running back signee Branson Robinson (has almost tree trunks for quads), Clemson wide receiver signee Adam Randall (looks a lot like current NFL wideout AJ Brown given height/weight combo), Georgia linebacker signee Jalon Walker (very fluid for someone with so much defined muscle in the upper half) and Texas A&M offensive tackle signee PJ Williams (thin now, but blessed with an exceptional reach).

Alabama might have found another Jaylen Waddle

The Crimson Tide load up on offensive weapons every cycle. And while plenty has already been written about wide receiver signees Shazz Preston and Isiaiah Bond, remember the name Aaron Anderson. He quietly flipped his commitment from LSU to Alabama back in late October while in the middle of a monster senior season at New Orleans Edna Carr. Anderson didn't haul in a ton of passes on Wednesday night, but that wasn't because he wasn't open. 

During 11-on-11 drills, Anderson worked out of the slot and was able to create plenty of separation as he mixed gears well and was able to use his turbo to find holes in the defense. Some might try to knock Anderson because he's on the smaller side, but it's hard not to look at him and think that he doesn't resemble former Crimson Tide star Jaylen Waddle in one way or another given how he plays the position. If Anderson – who went 10. 77 in the 100-meter dash last spring – can be anything close to Waddle for Alabama, watch out.

Plenty of praise already for  Devon Campbell

There wasn't much debate Wednesday night about how the 247Sports' Alpha Dog should be as Devon Campbell dominated 1-on-1s. One of the coaches that got to work with Campbell couldn't stop raving about the five-star out of the Lone Star State calling him on of the best they have put through drills in years.

Campbell is listed by some as a tackle, but this individual (who trains multiple NFL linemen) brought up how he thinks Campbell should slide inside, which is why they want to cross train him this week at both of the guard spots along with center. Texas and Oklahoma fans might groan about moving a possible tackle prospect away from exterior of the line, but this coach was quick to note that Campbell's feet are some of the best he has seen for a high school senior and that Campbell's natural upright posture could make him a lot of money as a guard or center one day.

More Thoughts

It was a rather quiet night for Travis Hunter, which usually isn't the case. The consensus No. 1-ranked prospect didn't take many reps during 1-on-1s and didn't see many balls come his way. The Jackson State signee did, however, turn some heads when he threw a ball over 50 yards in the air multiple times before warm-ups started.

Auburn quarterback signee Holden Geriner closed out his prep career by throwing for almost 400 yards in Georgia's AAAA title game. He picked up right where he left off on Wednesday and made some high-level throws. That should be encouraging for the Tigers, who seem to be searching for answers under center.

No one took more reps during Team Icons' 1-on-1s than Florida safety signee Kamari Wilson. He's better in coverage when he can keep things in front of him, but has an edge to him that reminds me a lot of former UF safeties like Matt Elam, Keanu Neal and Marcus Maye.

Missouri signee Luther Burden is another wide receiver that deserves some recognition for what he did Wednesday. He's a sharp route runner that is a tough task for whoever draws him in coverage.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting