Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

This is what Gerry had to say about Perkin's family:

Hide contents

Dad lives in New Orleans, and definitely prefers Alabama and then LSU.

Mom prefers closer to home (She lives in Cypress).

The uncle is huge in this. Harold is very close to him.

This one isn’t fundamentally corrupt. The biggest issue has been mostly that the Perkins family on all sides hasn’t taken Texas seriously as a player. It’s interesting that maybe Texas made an impression. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Nick Harris on Perkins

Spoiler

Let’s backtrack a bit to this time last week. Harold Perkins was coming off a huge visit to Texas A&M that put the Aggies in a solid spot moving forward. He was able to meet most of the Texas A&M 2022 class and he built strong relationships with all of those guys.

Later in the week, his USC visit was canceled and an open weekend became available. With Texas battling Oklahoma for just an unofficial visit on the June 18-20 weekend, the Longhorns went ahead and pounced on the idea of getting him into Austin this weekend for not only a visit, but an official.

How did that visit go?

I talked to a source close to Perkins on Sunday night who said that his visit over the weekend at Texas went “better than anybody expected.” This recruitment has been mainly handled by Jeff Banks and Steve Sarkisian, but Pete Kwiatkowski really came into the picture this weekend. Kwiatkowski had a long talk with Perkins about how they plan on using him and the role is unlike any other player that they are recruiting in the 2022 class. 

The position is described as a "star" role which will consist of Perkins playing a hybrid role of outside and inside linebacker and in the secondary as a free safety. Given that Perkins embraces his versatility, this role excites him along with Kwiatkowki's history of putting those type of players in the NFL.

This source also said that Perkins loved his stay in Austin and describes him more as a city kid (he is originally from New Orleans). In addition, he was able to spend some time with Arch Manning and Rueben Owens II which excited him about the future of the Texas program.

In conclusion, Texas did everything that they could this weekend with Perkins and it has seemed to pay off with the five-star. Will it be enough to win the recruitment? Absolutely not.

This recruitment will have tons of ups-and-downs for just about any regional Power Five program. Texas and Texas A&M have emerged as the real contenders but the ability for LSU and even TCU to swoop in and make just as much of an impact as Texas did this weekend is very possible. However, if you're Texas, you look at this as the best place you can be in right now in this recruitment.

Moving forward, I'll be watching closely and checking in with sources this week to see if he makes that trip to Oklahoma next weekend, or if he returns to Texas unofficially to meet with their commit class, most notably Maalik Murphy who he has been talking with regularly in recent weeks. After that, it will be how consistent communication remains between Texas and Perkins.

• Hook 'Em 5

Damn, I’m still skeptical about Perkins but if he skips an official visit to come right back to Austin next week that would be a big deal. 

Good to see some of these reports mentioning PK having an impact in his face to face visits with guys. Not a high level recruiter was pretty much the only knock on him.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Damn, I’m still skeptical about Perkins but if he skips an official visit to come right back to Austin next week that would be a big deal. 

Good to see some of these reports mentioning PK having an impact in his face to face visits with guys. Not a high level recruiter was pretty much the only knock on him.

That is an easy thing to say because PK is not a particularly dynamic personality, but I am not sure there are many coaches who can highlight scheme like he can. That kind of meeting is his wheelhouse. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It will be interesting to see how aggy would spin Perkins spending two weekends in Austin, considering the amount of jizz that was flowing when Anderson came back a couple of days after his official.

I'm sure Perkins role is to be a mole and tell Looch about the huge dumpster fire Sark is.. and how he will lose the lockeroom if they are not beating the Ragin Cajuns by 35 points at halftime...

From two different 247 articles on the top performers of the future 50 event

Spoiler

Evan Stewart is on the short list when talking about the top overall receiver in the country. He was our WR1 at this morning's workout and was very good during 7v7 play. It looked like he got a little dinged up during the first half of the game after coming down hard on his side attempting to make a jump ball catch in the end zone. He's a high level athlete and has a rare ability to elevate, hang and come down with the football. He has very good top end speed as well and can get behind just about any defense. He just visited Florida and is also looking at schools like LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, USC and Alabama.

Evan Stewart was the top receiver in the morning session, one of the faster players here, with high level body control and elite athleticism. He was especially good in jump ball situations and dominant in the 1on1 drills.

- Allen (Texas) offensive lineman Neto Umeozulu is a super intriguing long term prospect. Umeozulu won a majority of his reps, showing a long reach, great bend and carrying his weight well.

-After Will Campbell, we thought Arlington (Texas) Bowie offensive linemen Devon Campbell and Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy offensive lineman Tyler Booker had the best reps in the 1on1s for the offensive lineman.

Shazz Preston made a ton of acrobatic catches and flashed high level body control. He showed off a really nice burst, soft hands and top end speed. He's starting to fill out his frame and showed some physicality getting open against press coverage. Preston is a national recruit and just officially visited USC and will check out Texas next weekend. LSU is heavily in the mix and Alabama and Georgia are on the short list here as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Roach notes from the weekend cross posting on '23 as well

Spoiler

The Stampede: Unpacking everything that happened over the weekend
VIP ByMIKE ROACH 

Texas was at the center of the recruiting world over the weekend as the Longhorns hosted a group of official visitors and a massive group of elite 2023 unofficial visitors.

The buzz was palpable on campus as some of the best in the class of 2023 got their first taste of what Texas was all about under Steve Sarkisian. The Longhorns also hosted an important group of official visitors, and they already came away with a commitment on the weekend from Anthony Jones.

The Longhorns made a statement on the trip according to many of the players and parents we spoke to and continued their trend from last week of being able to put on a strong visit.

So, how did the weekend go and what were the highlights? In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we recap the weekend that was in Austin and what might come out of it for the Longhorns.

THE VIBE IS DIFFERENT
Elite 2023 Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano said the vibe was different at Texas than anywhere else he visited. He wasn’t alone in that sentiment. In talking to many of the recruits and parents or coaches on campus, they all said they could feel the excitement about what this staff could do.

A big reason for that excitement is head coach Steve Sarkisian. It’s said that programs usually take on the personality of their head coach, and Sark’s calm demeanor permeates through everything. While Tom Herman’s program was seen as arrogant at times, one coach I spoke with who’s visited Texas with his athletes on a few different occasions said that Sarkisian’s program is more of cool confidence.

(Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
Another reason for the new vibe is the entire coaching staff. I’ve written about this in the past, but I’ve heard it on a few different occasions that the background and resume of the assistant coaches on staff instills confidence in people. Texas seemed to pull all the right levers today, and having former legends like Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Derrick Johnson, Earl Campbell and many others on campus was a big hit.

It’s not that players haven’t been welcome around the program before, but a show of star power and unity like that stands out to those who are visiting. Having legends who have seen this program at its greatest heights on campus to show support to the head coach resonates with families. Matthew McConaughey showing up didn’t hurt either.

The current players also helped quite a bit. I was told that players were proactively approaching recruits to share with them their experiences and speaking positively about the coaching staff and program. That hasn’t always been the case over the last few years. At one point, the day’s agenda went way off schedule. I was told that was because everyone on the trip was having such a good time talking with one another that the coaches didn’t want to break it up to go to the pool.

Sure, you can chalk this up to the honeymoon phase of a new staff and it could all go out the window with a poor year, but right now the mood around the program is as good as it has been in the last few years.

ALL ABOUT ARCH

The much-anticipated visit of Arch Manning is now in the books, and it sounds like it went extremely well from the Texas side. In speaking to a source on the Manning side, I was told that the entire family really loved the trip. This source said the staff has been “first-class” in the way they’ve handled the recruitment. This source went on to say the staff left a great impression.

This weekend was also big for the Manning family. His father Cooper looked at ease with one leg up on the golf cart as he was whisked around campus for a tour. I was told the family really liked the city and the overall fit when it comes to the city of Austin, brand recognition, education and the offensive system of Steve Sarkisian. All-in-all I was told Texas has handled this recruitment in an extremely professional and thorough way, and that left a big impression on the family.

It also helped to be surrounded by so many other big-name players. Quarterbacks want weapons, and Rueben Owens has been a driving force for Texas. Johntay Cook has also emerged as a guy who’s been able to build a bond with Manning over the last few months. Manning was also able to spend time with current and former players and also take in an exciting baseball game. Manning took the opportunity to really pick the brain of those he was with, and I was told that he was very calculated in the questions he asked.

One source I spoke with said that Texas had done enough early get him interested, but the trip to Austin represented the next step in his recruitment as he could actually start to visualize what life would be like as a Longhorn athlete. It’s still too early to talk leaders in this recruitment, but I think Texas is continuing to establish itself as a major player for Manning.

One thing that stood out after talking to many people who were there was how much the 2022 prospects were paying attention to Manning.  While it's natural for several 2023 prospects to get together and talk often, I was told several of the official visitors spent a lot of time talking to Arch and imagining the possibilities if all of that talent was in one place.

NIL WAS THE KEY THEME OF THE WEEKEND

Once again, recruits were talking up the Texas pitch to benefit from the NIL rulings. While parents are still having a hard time getting their arms around the fact their children might be able to use their talent to earn money, the Texas staff stressed a desire to educate athletes on all aspects of it.

That includes a way to not only use the companies they’ve contracted with to get the most exposure for their individual brand and classes on marketing and money management. This staff has been putting in a lot of work to get a full picture of how they can benefit.

While it’s an important part of the pitch, it wasn’t the only part. The 4Ever Texas program instituted under Tom Herman is still around, and it’s one that resonates with the parents. The program partners with several leaders in the business world and community who come in and speak to the team, help them with internships and plans for life after football. The staff also put together a film about what a day in the life of a Texas football player looks like.

It also sounds like the staff is letting the advantages of the program speak for themselves. I asked several recruits if there was any hard push to commit, and I was told that there wasn’t. One parent told me that it was a bit refreshing not to get the hard sell. A good recruiter knows when to push and when not to, but it seems the staff was happy just laying the groundwork for the future this weekend.

OFFICIAL VISITOR REPORT

Cole Hutson

The Longhorns came into the trip with a lot of juice having hosted Hutson and his family last week for an unofficial trip. I was told the visit went very well and they were impressed with the total package that Austin offers to student-athletes. Texas has been able to make the first impression on Hutson, and now they have to hope that impression holds over time. Oklahoma and Texas A&M will get the next shots at him, and Alabama will get a midweek unofficial trip. I would expect a possible July or August decision as Hutson will be extremely pragmatic in evaluating those schools as he has been all along.

Jacob Sexton

I mentioned in the preview that Texas has the chance to make a move with Sexton, and it sounds like they did this weekend. Sexton and his family both had a great time in Austin, and I’m told Texas emerged from the trip way more confident about its chances with the four-star offensive tackle. Sexton and Hutson also bonded together while on the trip. Sexton has a visit upcoming mid-week to Oklahoma State, and he still will likely take trips to Oklahoma and Texas A&M at some point. If Texas can hold on there, they can pick up a valuable tackle body in Sexton who is still growing into a massive frame.

Sebastian Cheeks

Cheeks was another out of state guy Texas had the chance to land with a strong visit, and I was told that everything was going well.  Was it enough to overcome the visit he had to North Carolina?  We will see how things settle in the next few days.  Cheeks is scheduled to be in South Bend to see Notre Dame next week and will take a mid-week unofficial visit to Michigan before making his call in the next month.  While the Midwest powers once looked like the biggest threats, I’m told Texas is just worried about holding off North Carolina at this point.  Jeff Choate and Pete Kwiatkowski have poured everything into this one as the Longhorns value Cheeks as one of the top overall players on the defensive board, and they’ve done enough to put themselves in the right position to close.

Anthony Jones

The trip obviously went very well for Jones who committed on Saturday night. As I said earlier in the weekend, Jones had actually been committed to Texas for a while in advance of the visit, and Pete Kwiatkowski did a masterful job convincing him that defense was the best place for his future. Jones’ was visibly having a great time when we saw him on campus Saturday, and he raved about Austin to just about anyone who would listen.

Harold Perkins

Nick will have more on Perkins after talking to some folks in his camp, but it’s safe to say the trip did enough to keep Texas in a race that will undoubtedly be a marathon. The Longhorns have pitched Perkins on playing his own position. From what I was able to pick up, it’s part safety and part linebacker. Sources we’ve talked to feel this race could ultimately come down to Texas, Texas A&M and LSU.

Zac Swanson

Swanson doesn’t talk much, but he came into the trip strongly committed and it seems like he’s leaving the same way. Swanson was ready to commit to Texas sight unseen in the spring but was encouraged to come to Austin for the spring game to check it out for himself. Not one for the flashy parts of the recruiting process, Swanson will likely stay in the shadows after taking this trip.

(Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Kam Dewberry

Though Dewberry wasn’t an official visitor, the visit served as an important one for him. Dewberry spent a lot of time with Texas linebacker Derrick Harris Jr who he’s known since playing youth football. I mentioned in the spring that no school was recruiting Dewberry harder than Texas, and I was told that he definitely felt he was a priority for the Longhorns. The overall presentation was something that hit home with his family as well. I think that Dewberry likes everything about Texas, but he’s a player who will likely want to wait and see what the Horns do on the field. If the Longhorns land Kelvin Banks, it could go a long way to helping with Dewberry.

OTHER NOTES FROM 2023
— Odessa Permian OL Harris Sewell remains wide open in his recruitment. Though there are some positive Texas voices within his family, this is a recruitment that will go from scratch for every school. Texas has been able to do a good job of making an early impression.

— The Longhorns offered 2022 Arlington Seguin ATH Xavion Brice. Brice is currently committed to Kansas as a receiver, but he has huge upside as a defensive back. His teammate Jamel Johnson holds a Texas offer in the 2023 class. Johnson is emerging as one of the elite defensive backs in the state. Both guys had a good experience meeting with the Texas coaches up close, and both will likely be pursued heavily moving forward.

— In our post-visit notes, I mentioned that I liked where Texas sat for DeSoto WR Johntay Cook. There are just a lot of factors playing in the Longhorns’ favor when it comes down to it, and I expect him to be a frequent visitor to Austin over the next few years. Though I think Texas is positioned at the head of the pack, it will be a long fight to land him against some heavyweights. Texas just needs to hang in and show they can utilize a player of his talents on the field this fall.

— Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano was all smiles after his trip. I’ve currently got a 247Sports Crystal Ball in for him to Texas, but I think his timeline likely will extend past where I thought it would. Coming out of the trip, I still feel Texas is in a really great position, and it sounds like the tandem of Jeff Banks and Terry Joseph are doing a good job connecting with him and his family.

—Amarillo Tascosa DL Avion Carter said he enjoyed his time in Austin and loved the versatility the Longhorns want to play with up front. Carter is still very much wide open, and a source I spoke with feels he might want the challenge of the SEC. That said, I think Texas has been able to establish some position early with him.

—It was the first college visit for 2023 Mansfield Timberview offensive tackle Andre Cojoe, and the Longhorns put on an impressive show for him and his family. It’s still way too early for them to ponder a commitment, but Texas is the school currently sitting out in front at this point.

—The Longhorns also offered Kahuka (HI) linebacker Liona Lefau over the weekend. While it’s maybe a bit unbelievable that a kid from Hawaii would come to Austin, I’m told that Texas did a lot to make a big impression over the weekend. Lefau is one of the top linebackers in the class, and he liked his time on campus hanging with Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate. It’s still early for him, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Longhorns become a major player in this one.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Random poster on OU 247... not putting much stock into this yet

"Hearing that he is about to de-commit and reopen his recruitment. Anyone else heard anything about this?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Gerry on Hudson

Spoiler

Inside Texas believes Garland WR Jordan Hudson will open up his recruitment.

Hudson was scheduled to be at Oklahoma this weekend, but that is not likely.

A visit this weekend (June 18-20) is possible to likely.

Garland will be at the Texas state 7v7 championships the following weekend.

• Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry on Hudson

Hide contents

Inside Texas believes Garland WR Jordan Hudson will open up his recruitment.

Hudson was scheduled to be at Oklahoma this weekend, but that is not likely.

A visit this weekend (June 18-20) is possible to likely.

Garland will be at the Texas state 7v7 championships the following weekend.

He followed up and said that Hudson’s mom really wants him at Texas. 

also thinks we’d take him along with Thompson and Stewart

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I drew a blank typing that. Mondays are the worst. 

so a WR class of Winfield, Hudson, Stewart, and Thompson potentially 

This would be a an epic class. 

im pretty pessimistic about Stewart at this point, not for anything specific. Just don’t have a good feeling. We’re going to have to show out this fall, and the more he drops his nuts all over these elite camps the harder it will be to land him in the end. We need wins and worthy to go apeshit this fall. 

(Super K) TreVonte’ Citizen has now Been to Texas and TAMU

Spoiler

I took recruits’ reactions to the first weekend of visits with a grain of salt. They hadn’t been on any official visits. And, for some of them, these were their first visits to a school…ever.

Figured it was better to try to get a gauge or comparison after at least the second visit.

Here is what I can tell you about TreVonte’ Citizen and how he rated the Texas and TAMU visit. Citizen took his OV to Texas the first weekend of June. He took his OV to TAMU, this past weekend.

Tre told me he gave the Texas visit a “9/1o”

He said he gave the TAMU visit a “10/10”

That is extremely close and could very well be a function of one being fresher than the other. But I took the score from Tre right after his Texas visit and did the same with the TAMU visit.

He still has a visit set to USC.

Now, something to watch is that De’Anthony Gatson who took his OV to Texas last weekend, has set his announcement for June 22nd. He is coming off of a USC official visit. He will take a Colorado official this upcoming weekend and decide.

The last I heard, while he holds an offer from Texas, Texas was still in a wait-and-see mode as they try to court Citizen and guys like Jamarion Miller.

But, this is going to be decision time. Do you wait on Miller and Citizen and potentially miss out on a 5’10 220 lb explosive back? You could argue that, even if he commits, Gatson would come around to a Texas push. But if he commits to USC, and I believe he will, that might be a tougher flip.

(Super K) A Perhaps Inconsequential Heads up on Hudson

Spoiler

This morning we posted over on the OU board that Jordan Hudson is set to open up his recruitment, later today.

Texas did make a big big big push for him about a week or so ago but OU was able to hold on. They spoke with Hudson and his family and all seemed well.

However, the team to watch for Hudson is actually SMU. Really, it’s the work of star recruiter, Rashaad Samples.

With Hudson opening things up, it may push him to visit Texas but again, I’m told Samples has himself in a really good spot here and that SMU is the trigger for this decommitment.

So, this may prove to be an inconsequential move to Texas but we figured it’s worth noting in case Hudson takes a visit. And, that would not surprise me.

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

But RGB.. he doesn't know how to teach route running----surly last summer

lmao, I still don't understand why the fuck Andre Coleman has a job at Texas.  I could be way off base, but he doesn't push the needle in recruiting at all, what so ever.  And I haven't been impressed with his coaching either.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since Herman probably fucked with the WR room but I was very much underwhelmed with the way our WRs played this spring.  It's not like we don't have talent either.  

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

lmao, I still don't understand why the fuck Andre Coleman has a job at Texas.  I could be way off base, but he doesn't push the needle in recruiting at all, what so ever.  And I haven't been impressed with his coaching either.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since Herman probably fucked with the WR room but I was very much underwhelmed with the way our WRs played this spring.  It's not like we don't have talent either.  

if he somehow lands Winfield, Thompson, Stewart and Hudson.. He can get a contract extension for 7 years for all I care lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

victory88lmao, I still don't understand why the fuck Andre Coleman has a job at Texas.  I could be way off base, but he doesn't push the needle in recruiting at all, what so ever.  And I haven't been impressed with his coaching either.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since Herman probably fucked with the WR room but I was very much underwhelmed with the way our WRs played this spring.  It's not like we don't have talent either.  

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

if he somehow lands Winfield, Thompson, Stewart and Hudson.. He can get a contract extension for 7 years for all I care lol

so he's the designated Giles of this staff?

Edited by crash_davis

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

when Drayton finally fucks off to the NFL

I agree that Samples would be the ideal backfill for Drayton, but in a world where we haven't developed talent in 10 years, I don't want a volume recruiter in place of a legit coach anywhere else. Were Coleman to be replaced, we should be looking at guys like Wiggins, Chiaverini, Gonzalez, etc. Not Samples. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting