Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Someone must have told him stick to Tuesday.

20 minutes ago, Jester said:

now it's a June 22nd commitment from Gatson...

23 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

someone upped the offer, or maybe he didnt really consult his parents?

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Deleted.

51 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Deleted, here's a screenshot

spacer.png

Wells:

RB Tavorus Jones, Burges (El Paso, TX) - 2022:

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound running back is finally Austin bound this week. It's a trip the four-star has been waiting on for months. And finally, school's out. 

"I've just finished up school and spring ball last week," said Jones. "I feel like (Burges) be a lot better in 2021. We've got a good offensive line, we're better on the defensive side of the ball too. I'll play corner this year too."

Texas gets his first official visit this weekend, and he couldn't be more excited. 

"I speak with coach (Stan) Drayton a lot," said Jones. "He has a great sense of humor. Coach Sark always asks me about school and my family. Coach (Brandon) Harris might be the coolest. He's funnier than the rest. I love the offense. The coaches say it fits my style of running." 

Jones says he'll drop his Top 12 after his UT official trip. Texas, Alabama, Florida, Penn State, and Oklahoma State are schools that will be represented. He'd like to make his decision before the beginning of his senior year. He also knows what he wants to study and purse in college. 

"I'd like to major in Kinesiology," Jones said. "I'm pretty sure I want to work in the sports industry." 

This weekend will tell us a lot about the running back big board. UT target DeAnthony Gatson (Newton) wants to announce on June 22nd. Jamarion Miller (Tyler Legacy) would like to see Austin again in June. And if Jones has his druthers, he's one that could shut down his recruitment this weekend and I wouldn't be surprised. 

Longhorns make big play for four-star linebacker Sebastian Cheeks

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Longhorns make big play for four-star linebacker Sebastian Cheeks

Mike Roach

Sebastian Cheeks made his second official visit of the year this weekend.

The four-star linebacker from Evanston (IL.) Township got to see Austin for himself, and he came away with a strong impression of Texas. Cheeks was hosted on the visit by Texas linebacker Jaylan Ford, and the weekend received high marks overall.

“Austin is beautiful,” he said. “The people are amazing. It honestly went great. It was a longer weekend coming in on Thursday and just landing not too long ago. It was good, and I definitely enjoyed growing relationships with the staff. There were staff members I haven’t talked to and coaches who really looked out for me, so it was a great weekend overall.”

For some kids, the highlight of the trip is usually trying on a uniform or seeing the stadium. For Cheeks, his highlight was a key conversation he had with Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian.

“Me and coach Choate had a really great talk along with coach Sark,” he said. “It was kind of about what they see me as, more so off the field. The leadership role they believe I can have in that locker room for years to come. It was good to finally meet these guys in person because they are great men.”

Cheeks is a huge priority for the Texas staff. He said this weekend that the Texas coaches made him feel that way as they have throughout the entire recruiting process.

“No doubt,” he said. “I definitely have felt that through the whole weekend and the whole recruiting process. He’s definitely a guy who’s been with me and our relationship is great. It’s continuing to grow each day.”

Cheeks spent a lot of time with new Texas commit Anthony Jones who was also on his official visit. Jones decided to make his commitment on Saturday and Cheeks said it was easy to see why.

“Anthony is a cool guy and he felt at home with Texas,” he said. “I can see how he made that decision. I’m really happy for him because he’s a cool guy and we grew a great relationship on that trip.”

Cheeks is a large and athletic defensive prospect who can play a few positions. Texas doesn’t see him in any one specific place, and he likes the versatility the Longhorns are pitching.

“The versatility has been everything they are pitching me,” Cheeks said. “There’s not one specific spot they see me in. They really want to move me all around.”

Cheeks will take an official visit to Notre Dame next weekend and an unofficial visit to Michigan after that. The visit process is helping him to drill down and figure out what’s important about each school.

“No doubt,” he said. “I think seeing all of these places will help the decision. You get the opportunity to see a lot of things. It’s good because not only do you get to get that in-person interaction, but you also see the little things like the community and how you fit and things of that nature.”

As for his lasting impression of the trip? Cheeks said he ate too much, but he loved the trip overall.

“I ate way too much,” Cheeks said. “It was all love. They showed a ton of hospitality, and it was a really great OV.”

At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, Cheeks is ranked as the No. 13 linebacker in the country and No. 4 overall prospect in Illinois, according to 247Sports Composite.

39 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

I would think we would be looking at 5-6 OL this year, since the 2021 class only had two OL (Connor, Merril) and the 2020 class had four (Majors, Karic, Garth, Parr).

I think Parr and Merril are likely guys that will be recruited over, whether they portal or not I have no idea, but if Flood/Sarkisian can get 6 OL from the 2022 class they should and would.

6 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

I had someone tell me that UT bought meals for Beat and a few other recruits that were not on official visits. Any truth to this and does it really matter 

Does any human with a brain think Bear was buying his own surf and turf at VY's? No one cares.

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

I had someone tell me that UT bought meals for Beat and a few other recruits that were not on official visits. Any truth to this and does it really matter 

Who cares.  At least we're not buying fucking churches.  I have it on good authority that those preachers are going to hell

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My son will be going to school with Jordan Hudson this year.  I'll pass along any Whataburger bags y'all want to send.

Christ. Here we go. The Harvdog of DFW has made an appearance.

Prepare yourselves for updates about "what a wonderful young man this Jordan Hudson is". I can just see the tales of new friendship springing to life as Knoxtnhorn's shadowy figure can be spotted vaguely nearby, lurking, watching Hudson mingle with the cool crowd, all the while urging, nay, begging his son to go introduce himself and see if they can all be best friends. 

• Haha 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting