Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

32 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

ok, we got Robinson, Williams, and Hutson making decisions this week. That alone should boost the morale around here. Did I miss anyone?

Your mom hasn’t missed a single fucking one of us for going on years now. So let’s not fail to acknowledge her Efforts on behalf of our morale. Jesus, she even fucked Bruh Man. 

4 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

The new title stays until our next commit. Or 10. But it’s put up or shut up time. That said, today doesn’t move the needle for me at all. As good or better is still out there for the committing. 

Surprised you left “turn it up to 11” and “trust the corches” out of your idiom minefield. 

• Haha 1

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Evening News: Calm before the July storm

Spoiler

You hit, you miss.

You land Jamarion Miller less than 48 hours ago, then lose out on Terrance Brooks and Keahnist Thompson this evening. But then maybe you land another tomorrow. The life of college football recruiting.

The month of June provided so much activity and in-person recruiting and evaluating. I can tell you college coaches and staffers are exhausted, and many hit the vacation button when the dead period ended in late June. But all the work this staff prepared for pre-dead period was executed quite strongly over the last four weeks. @Eric Nahlin laid out the upcoming July, and here's a quick update on announcement dates and the calm before the storm.

(2022s) July 1st --

OL Cam Williams, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): It's only fitting that the largest target in UT's class of 2022 begins the festivities. The 6-foot-5, 360-pound two-sport stud went coast to coast - Oregon, Miami, Oklahoma, and Texas - in search of a college home. He's found one. He'll tell us tomorrow, choosing between Texas and Oregon. Williams would make a nice splash in the pool of 2022.

July 2nd --

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX): There's a lot to like about the 6-foot-5, 300-pounder with offers from Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Arizona State. He can play all three spots - center, guard, and tackle - with a preference for the interior. That shows intelligence and accountability. With the Huston crew, I wouldn't expect anything less. It sets up nicely for Kyle Flood and company.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX): There’s a lot to like about the 6-foot-4, 295-pounder with offers from USC, Stanford, Miami, and Penn State. He can play two spots - center, guard - and brings strength and intensity every snap. That shows the disposition and potential for the next level. Robertson is a quiet guy who doesn't care for the attention of social media. It also sets up nicely for Kyle Flood and crew.

July 4th --

DE/EDGE Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL): The 6-foot-2, 255-pound four-star deep in the heart of SEC country posted he'll drop his top 4 schools on July 4th. My Independence Day prediction: Texas, Michigan, Stanford, and Alabama. After racking up 146 tackles, 26 tackles for loss, and 12 sacks over the last two seasons, losing Thompson to UCF might be a blessing in disguise.

July 20th --

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): Months ago, this looked like an OU-Texas A&M fight, then the Longhorns and Bears got in the mix and basically kicked the Sooners, Aggies, Red Raiders, and others out. He has long said he wants to commit before his senior year, and now we have a date. Best guess: Horns lead.

July 24th --

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): After UT, Texas A&M, LSU, and Oregon official trips, the 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive tackle has his date set. No reason to think Texas doesn't still hold the cards here. Three more weeks.

This list doesn't contain the changes. With the frantic pace of NIL and high school seniors looking to secure a spot in the 2022 class, there will be movement. Just understand, June wasn't the ideal time for UT to start grabbing commits, especially with many of the player and parent meetings on visits serving as the first in-person introductions.

Can this staff close? We'll start learning that tomorrow.

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Man the meltdown here is really not warranted. Brooks, while an unquestionably excellent prospect, was always one Texas was playing from behind on. Losing him to Ohio State or Bama is the kind of thing that happens when you’ve been ass for a decade. Thompson - a Florida kid who is redundant with an existing commit chose to stay in Florida. Oh no! Land Finkley and Brown and he becomes a distant memory, all of us wondering why he was a take in the first place.

Hasn't A&M been an ass forever and yet they get Jimbo and all of a sudden string together a number of top 5-10 classes? When you hire a new coach, you should get a bump in his first full cycle, especially at a blueblood program like us. Back in April or May, I wrote perhaps Covid had taken away our new coach bump and i got attacked by someone.

Anyway, not to say we won't land a stellar class regardless, but it sure seems like it's been harder to close on some guys we would have easily closed in other years. Also, Sark was not the homerun hire like Beard was - at least to outsiders. I believe this is probably why these two coaches have had different levels of recruiting success thus far. Sark has to prove on the field before people take notice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Hasn't A&M been an ass forever and yet they get Jimbo and all of a sudden string together a number of top 5-10 classes? When you hire a new coach, you should get a bump in his first full cycle, especially at a blueblood program like us. Back in April or May, I wrote perhaps Covid had taken away our new coach bump and i got attacked by someone.

Anyway, not to say we won't land a stellar class regardless, but it sure seems like it's been harder to close on some guys we would have easily closed in other years. Also, Sark was not the homerun hire like Beard was - at least to outsiders. I believe this is probably why these two coaches have had different levels of recruiting success thus far. Sark has to prove on the field before people take notice.

image.gif.5107ff514f39f623a3a9a70cc4278aa6.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

If anything is taking away our new coach bump, it's the fact that we've already had two new coach bumps in the past 7 years and other schools are smart enough to tell recruits "um, what's going to be different now?"

On the other hand, it's fucking June, so chill out. 

• Like 1

I too like to write my postgame stories in the first quarter.
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

If anything is taking away our new coach bump, it's the fact that we've already had two new coach bumps in the past 7 years and other schools are smart enough to tell recruits "um, what's going to be different now?"

On the other hand, it's fucking June, so chill out. 

We started to get the new coach bump with some early recruits and then covid locked things down. We weren't able to build on the momentum. That was my whole point. I am chilled. But i sure thought we would have lot more momentum by now. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

We started to get the new coach bump with some early recruits and then covid locked things down. We weren't able to build on the momentum. That was my whole point. I am chilled. But i sure thought we would have lot more momentum by now. 

Hand wringing now is going to make you look stupid come Sunday 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

Hand wringing now is going to make you look stupid come Sunday 

I will be very happy if that happens. I don’t care about how I look. I just wish for Texas to be relevant in football again. I wasn't too thrilled about the Sark hire because I thought we needed to get someone with a lot more head coaching experience. He might turn out to be like Riley or better.

• Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Also, Sark was not the homerun hire like Beard was - at least to outsiders. I believe this is probably why these two coaches have had different levels of recruiting success thus far. Sark has to prove on the field before people take notice.

Beard has done a hell of job on the transfer market but he's still attempting to put together a '22 class much like Sark. Both should end up with very good classes (top 10). 

Also of note, I think Sark has done a hell of job on the transfer market much like Beard. Not to the same level but I think Robinson and Richardson will be very good players at Texas. If Texas somehow lands Rosenthal you could then make the argument this transfer class is one of the best in the country. 

I don't get this comparison at all. Beard hasn't landed a single HS recruit at Texas yet other than bringing Tyson with him from Texas Tech. He's putting together a class much like Sark is. 

16 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I wasn't too thrilled about the Sark hire because I thought we needed to get someone with a lot more head coaching experience.

I hesitate to ask, but which reasonable candidate with extensive HC experience were you hoping for. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I hesitate to ask, but which reasonable candidate with extensive HC experience were you hoping for. 

I didn't have anyone particular in mind. Texas was able to lure Baird who was treated like a king at Lubbock. I would have like CDC to go after someone who had been to the playoffs instead we took a chance on another up and coming coordinator. Time will tell and I am happy to be wrong because that would mean i get to enjoy my Saturdays in the fall.

• Fuck You 1

I didn't have anyone particular in mind. Texas was able to lure Baird who was treated like a king at Lubbock. I would have like CDC to go after someone who had been to the playoffs instead we took a chance on another up and coming coordinator. Time will tell and I am happy to be wrong because that would mean i get to enjoy my Saturdays in the fall.

I see what you're saying. I too wanted Texas Head Football Coach Mark Helfrich but the bastards just wouldn't listen.

Also we've never hired an "up and coming coordinator" as far as I know. The two previous busts were G5 head coaches.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Beard has done a hell of job on the transfer market but he's still attempting to put together a '22 class much like Sark. Both should end up with very good classes (top 10). 

Also of note, I think Sark has done a hell of job on the transfer market much like Beard. Not to the same level but I think Robinson and Richardson will be very good players at Texas. If Texas somehow lands Rosenthal you could then make the argument this transfer class is one of the best in the country. 

I don't get this comparison at all. Beard hasn't landed a single HS recruit at Texas yet other than bringing Tyson with him from Texas Tech. He's putting together a class much like Sark is. 

Texas is the leader for a few 5* recruits in MBB and we lost a couple of coveted 5* commits in football. Every basketball recruit that visit Texas has us at or near the top. We have tremendous momentum in our basketball program and the team he has assembled is ready to compete right away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 8

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Why not Luke, Chizik, Nutt, or Muschamp?  

Excuse me per @ShowMeALoss we need real Playoff head coaching experience and I don't think we were getting any of the other options for various reasons (hi Urban!).

Unless we make a run at Dantonio... 🤔🤔🤔

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 3

Texas is the leader for a few 5* recruits in MBB and we lost a couple of coveted 5* commits in football. Every basketball recruit that visit Texas has us at or near the top. We have tremendous momentum in our basketball program and the team he has assembled is ready to compete right away.

Texas is trending positively for several big time recruits in basketball but they still have nobody committed. I.e. they're still building a class like Sark is. 

My guess is Beard and Sark end up with very similar rankings for the '22 class. In the 4-10 class ranking range. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting