Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

10 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I didn't have anyone particular in mind. Texas was able to lure Baird who was treated like a king at Lubbock. I would have like CDC to go after someone who had been to the playoffs instead we took a chance on another up and coming coordinator. Time will tell and I am happy to be wrong because that would mean i get to enjoy my Saturdays in the fall.

All this jibber jabber, and no one has jumped on this yet?

mrs_bairds_bread.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If there’s one thing we know, Roma, it’s  that telling me what to do and how to do it will always work out. Also, making sure to identify a chink in your online armor by explaining what irritates or bothers you, that’s key info that I will never use to push buttons. 

I don't actually tell anyone how to do anything, but I do get a warm feeling receiving your warning. Your claws and hooked beak usually descend like lightning from a dark sky.

You once made the devastating accusation that I might be a reader of the New Yorker. Good guess, but I had trouble feeling insulted. My armor and buttons are ready anytime, amigo.

I know this is the real you:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't actually tell anyone how to do anything, but I do get a warm feeling receiving your warning. Your claws and hooked beak usually descend like lightning from a dark sky.

You once made the devastating accusation that I might be a reader of the New Yorker. Good guess, but I had trouble feeling insulted. My armor and buttons are ready anytime, amigo.

spacer.png

I use a word that is apparently also a racial epithet when used in (im)proper context and get run over for it by the thread’s SJWs like HenryJames, yet this guy is pulling out old German tropes about me being a dirty Jew and he gets off scott free? It all hurts, folks. 

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

spacer.png

What color is your LeSabre?

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Yea ok. He decommitted right after his visit and after hanging out with Archie and his family. Official or not, it's bad. 

I don't care what "technical" details you may have gotten wrong in this whole argument, I get what you're saying. That was terribad, and anyone saying any different is being a homer assed putz...

...bbbbbuuutttt I don't believe it's foreshadowing for how everything else will go, etc... Kid committed way too early. Coming off the 'ronas. He may find his way back home.... then again, he's from Ag Campo, TX.

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I use a word that is apparently also a racial epithet when used in (im)proper context and get run over for it by the thread’s SJWs like HenryJames, yet this guy is pulling out old German tropes about me being a dirty Jew and he gets off scott free? It all hurts, folks. 

image.gif.6cf1fe94b6fd02d14a8175dda1eebc8a.gif

• Haha 2

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

We all thought Brooks was going to Bama for the longest. The amount of time we thought we would land him was super short, literally less than a day, and now it’s supposed to be this great loss. 

It's also because it's Ohio Steak. It's annoying, them coming in here and taking our guys. I don't even mind Bama so much. They win more titles and are regional now because of aggy, so it makes sense. But Ohio State? Fuck those guys.

My anger/sky is falling level on this whole brooks thing is probably 3/10 or lower. It was disappointing, but my overreacting on here was in fun more than anything. But still, fuck fOSU

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The Terrance Brooks situation reminds me of an old Louis CK bit about being on one of the first flights with WiFi. They were just testing it out and hadn’t told any of the passengers beforehand. The WiFi crapped out in the middle of the flight and the guy next to him started bitching that this was bullshit which led CK to exclaim “You didn’t even know this existed 10 seconds ago!”

"This is fucking bullshit."

6 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The Terrance Brooks situation reminds me of an old Louis CK bit about being on one of the first flights with WiFi. They were just testing it out and hadn’t told any of the passengers beforehand. The WiFi crapped out in the middle of the flight and the guy next to him started bitching that this was bullshit which led CK to exclaim “You didn’t even know this existed 10 seconds ago!”

We all thought Brooks was going to Bama for the longest. The amount of time we thought we would land him was super short, literally less than a day, and now it’s supposed to be this great loss. 

This is an excellent comparison. I always think about that bit when I’m getting annoyed at some amazing new technology that doesn’t work perfectly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wasserman/Athletic: Meet 2022 college football recruit Maalik Murphy, the raw, inexperienced QB who might be the reason ‘Texas is back!’

In Southern California, the Pacific breeze wafting through the air, Murphy began his mission to shut people up. Throw after throw, he displayed a strong arm, incredible accuracy and looked very much the part as one of the most elite-level quarterbacks in the country. If he wasn’t up to the task, it would have been uncomfortably apparent; after all, every time he threw a pass, the pass before and after was delivered by another top-tier quarterback prospect. It didn’t matter. Murphy’s tight spirals pierced the air. They hit receivers’ arms with force. He belonged.

“What’s funny is he’s the worst high school quarterback on that field right now,” a national recruiting analyst joked as he watched Murphy’s passing display. The analyst didn’t mean it as an insult, but rather an illustration of how far Murphy’s athleticism alone has taken him.

Here’s the thing you’ll grow to love about Murphy as he eases his way into the spotlight: He agrees with the all the criticism.

“I’m definitely not at my peak yet, and that’s what’s good about me,” Murphy said. “I don’t want to hit my peak in high school. Why would I want to do that? I want people to look back at these days and remember where I came from when I finally get to where I know I’m going to be.”

“We saw him four weeks ago (at the Elite 11 regional in Los Angeles) and you can see he’s already taken steps forward from what we talked about then, which is what you want to see out of prospects participating in our event,”  said Elite 11 President Brian Stumpf, who is involved in coaching and evaluating the event’s participants. “You want to see growth. He’s a young guy. He’s a sponge who is soaking everything up and you can see the development happening before your eyes.”

text:

Spoiler

Meet 2022 college football recruit Maalik Murphy, the raw, inexperienced QB who might be the reason ‘Texas is back!’

maalikmurphy-1024x768.jpg
By Ari Wasserman 1h ago comment-icon.png 3 save-icon.png

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. — Here at the Elite 11, a camp featuring the most impressive collection of high school quarterback talent in the country, many of the prospects wore white jerseys. For the most part, they blended together. But while footballs were flying all over the field at Mira Costa High School on Wednesday evening, there was a player — a defensive end? — decked out in royal blue standing around the 50-yard line waiting for his next rep.

“Defensive end?” Four-star quarterback Maalik Murphy of Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra said with a laugh after the first night of the camp. “Now that’s funny.”

Murphy didn’t blend in, and it had nothing to do with the color of his outfit. He is a 6-foot-5, 230-pound mountain of a young man who was visibly far more physically advanced than the prospects working out around him, most of whom are committed to the most elite-level college programs in the country.

That quarterback — not a defensive end — has been committed to Texas since mid-February. He is the No. 75 overall player and the No. 8 quarterback in the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite rankings. And since he issued his pledge to the Longhorns, he is keenly aware of all the criticism thrown his way. If you’re unaware, here’s a list of knocks you may have read about him on message boards or in comments sections:

1. He has only started six high school games. How does he deserve his top-100 ranking?
  2. He has thrown nine touchdown passes and four interceptions in his high school career.
  3. He is only a so-so high school quarterback because he’s so raw.
  4. He only has a spot at Texas because 2022 peer, five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll, decommitted and committed to Ohio State.

“I’ve read it all,” Murphy said. “I know what people think.”

In Southern California, the Pacific breeze wafting through the air, Murphy began his mission to shut people up. Throw after throw, he displayed a strong arm, incredible accuracy and looked very much the part as one of the most elite-level quarterbacks in the country. If he wasn’t up to the task, it would have been uncomfortably apparent; after all, every time he threw a pass, the pass before and after was delivered by another top-tier quarterback prospect. It didn’t matter. Murphy’s tight spirals pierced the air. They hit receivers’ arms with force. He belonged.

“What’s funny is he’s the worst high school quarterback on that field right now,” a national recruiting analyst joked as he watched Murphy’s passing display. The analyst didn’t mean it as an insult, but rather an illustration of how far Murphy’s athleticism alone has taken him.

Here’s the thing you’ll grow to love about Murphy as he eases his way into the spotlight: He agrees with the all the criticism.

“I’m definitely not at my peak yet, and that’s what’s good about me,” Murphy said. “I don’t want to hit my peak in high school. Why would I want to do that? I want people to look back at these days and remember where I came from when I finally get to where I know I’m going to be.”

Murphy was a five-star prospect at one point, but his ranking took a hit because of his lack of high school experience. He only played in a shortened six-game season this spring after California delayed its season due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But recruiting rankings, though often extremely telling, can also be confusing without the proper context. Some may be unsure about a high ranking’s merit if a prospect has limited experience, but these rankings are about projecting the future, trying to tell where a player may be three years down the line. That’s what’s really important here.

What you have in Murphy is a large, athletic prospect who is just starting to learn how to be a quarterback. He may not be polished. He may not have years of training with a quarterback coach. What he does have is natural athleticism. What he possesses can’t be taught. You can’t coach height. So if you’re wondering what Steve Sarkisian sees in the first quarterback he’ll sign as Texas’ coach, it’s an imposing physical specimen who should evolve into one of the most dangerous weapons in the sport.

“We saw him four weeks ago (at the Elite 11 regional in Los Angeles) and you can see he’s already taken steps forward from what we talked about then, which is what you want to see out of prospects participating in our event,”  said Elite 11 President Brian Stumpf, who is involved in coaching and evaluating the event’s participants. “You want to see growth. He’s a young guy. He’s a sponge who is soaking everything up and you can see the development happening before your eyes.”

That’s why quarterbacks want to participate in the Elite 11. Sure, it’s always fun to compete against the best, but those who take it seriously can come away with valuable coaching and a long list of things to improve. Murphy has taken the responsibility personally.

Even though he’s still relatively new to the world of quarterbacking, he has a keen understanding of what his current positioning in Texas’ 2022 recruiting class means. Murphy realizes that Sarkisian has connected the early seasons of his tenure with the Longhorns directly to him. Murphy has internalized that his success and Sarkisian’s success are intertwined.

“My experience with Texas has been great, coaches-wise, players-wise … it has everything I need,” Murphy said. “I’ll put it all on the line to make sure that I don’t let Texas down. It all comes down to the work and I’m putting it in.”

Texas is starved for some Big 12 glory. The future was once bright when Ewers — the No. 1 overall player in the 2022 class — was committed. You can imagine that heartbreak. That’s basically when the Tom Herman era ended.

But Sarkisian got to work the second he started with the Longhorns, and less than three months into his tenure, he had a hot-shot, five-star quarterback from California committed in Ewers’ vacated spot. Now Murphy and Ewers, who have met only a few times in person, have struck up a nice friendship. The two quarterbacks were hanging out at the Elite 11 and joking around, enough for Murphy to playfully interrupt Ewers’ meeting with the media after the camp.

“We are good friends now and I’m excited to see what he’ll do for the University of Texas,” Ewers said. “I know he’s going to do big things. He’s an athlete with amazing arm talent. He’ll get the job done.”

That job was supposed to belong to Ewers. Now it’s on Murphy’s plate. And there is a lot of pressure from Texas fans dying to finally overcome rival Oklahoma’s dominant run.

The Longhorns are quite familiar with the jabs, the mocking of the repeated premature notions that “Texas is back.” As you watched Murphy work out at the Elite 11, you could almost feel it bubbling up again. It was hard not to believe that Texas is back with its future in Murphy’s hands. So go ahead and give in. Yell it again.

“Texas is back!”

Well, not yet. But with Murphy, a quarterback with a defensive end’s body and endless potential, it’s hard not to buy stock in the Longhorns’ future.

(Top photo of Maalik Murphy: Ari Wasserman / The Athletic)

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh.png
MEH
rating-solid.png
SOLID
rating-awesome.png
AWESOME
HS_Square_0004_20200227Wasserman-Ari0235_bw.jpg
Ari Wasserman is a senior writer for The Athletic, covering college football and recruiting nationally. He previously spent 10 years covering Ohio State for The Athletic and Cleveland.com, starting on the Buckeyes beat in 2009. Follow Ari on Twitter @AriWasserman.

• Hook 'Em 5

Lol. Every guy getting indignant about the thread title and gushing their period blood all over the thread are doing a great job prolonging said thread title. 

also an insult to the kids? Lol. How very football board. Gonna get a “recruits patents read these message boards” next?

Collectively lighten up, Francis.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

(Cross-posting.)

VIP Intel: The latest on three major Texas A&M targets

Brian Perroni

Spoiler

Brian Perroni

I just wanted to share the latest on what I’ve been told after talking to quite a few people about some major A&M targets, two with decisions coming up.

-Five-star Humble Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks has set his decision date for June 24. That matches up with the timeline of what he had told me after his A&M official this past weekend that it would be in the next month or so.

At this point, I don’t think he has completely decided. However, I still like my Crystal Ball prediction of A&M. The Aggies got the last official visit, which was huge, and Banks really likes both Josh Henson and analyst Robert Luce.

Texas is the main competition for the Aggies and are not ruled out by any means. Both schools will make their final pitches over the next few weeks and you never know what can happen. But, from talking to a lot of people, I believe A&M is playing from the front on this one.

I don’t think he ends up at any of the other three finalists – LSU, Oklahoma State and Oregon – but Oklahoma State is the only one I would completely write off. LSU does not seem to have much hope of landing him once that initial visit high wore off and Oregon has never really been seen as a huge contender.

Banks is not exactly sure how he plans to announce on the 24th, whether it be a video, a ceremony or something else, but he should start ironing out those details soon.

-An announcement that is even sooner is that of Suwannee (Ga.) Lambert four-star wide receiver Kojo Antwi. He is set to make his decision on Mon., June 5.

The nation’s No. 115 overall prospect took officials in June to A&M, Georgia, Ohio State and USC. I have not heard a ton about the Trojans being a big player, though.

For A&M’s part, the Aggies feel decent about their chances. However, like the other schools, they do not know what he is going to do.

You can expect both A&M and Georgia to use their current commits, especially the quarterbacks, to hep sway him heading into the decision. Antwi has thrown with Conner Weigman while in Houston and Weigman also made it to town during Antwi’s official. However, Georgia commit Gunner Stockton has been friends with him for quite some time and is also a national top-50 quarterback.

Ohio State is one that does not get a ton of talk but nobody I’ve talked to has dismissed the Buckeyes. They are sort of the wildcard possibility.

We should have more info later in the week and over the weekend but, as of now, A&M is cautiously optimistic but by no means does it feel like he is in the bag.

-After his official visit to Ohio State this past weekend, a visit he had been looking forward to for a long time, four-star offensive tackle Kam Dewberry told Steve Wiltfong he came close to committing on the trip. The good news for the Aggies is that he did not.

Wiltfong put in a Crystal Ball prediction for Ohio State on Wednesday but, from talking to a few people, I do not believe a decision anywhere is imminent.

Dewberry has long said he could commit at any point. He could wake up one day and decide he is ready to make a pledge. However, he has an official set to Oklahoma early in the season and one likely to Alabama a little later in the year. I believe he will use those before doing anything.

A&M still feels pretty good about landing Dewberry in the end. They have the familiarity and the fact that Dewberry is close to both the coaches and players. The distance could also play a factor once the visit high wears off.

Ohio State is still a huge contender and the Buckeyes have landed a ton of top prospects from the Lone Star State as of late. So I would not count them out at all. But, the longer this goes on, the better it is for the Aggies. Dewberry is also expected to be at the recruiting barbecue at the end of August.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Every guy getting indignant about the thread title and gushing their period blood all over the thread are doing a great job prolonging said thread title.

it's very clear they don't know who the original thread's author is and how to best interact with him lol

complaining isn't the way to CTJ's heart.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

also an insult to the kids? Lol. How very football board. Gonna get a “recruits patents read these message boards” next?

BRO I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS!

• Fuck You 1

Hasn't A&M been an ass forever and yet they get Jimbo and all of a sudden string together a number of top 5-10 classes? When you hire a new coach, you should get a bump in his first full cycle, especially at a blueblood program like us. Back in April or May, I wrote perhaps Covid had taken away our new coach bump and i got attacked by someone.
Anyway, not to say we won't land a stellar class regardless, but it sure seems like it's been harder to close on some guys we would have easily closed in other years. Also, Sark was not the homerun hire like Beard was - at least to outsiders. I believe this is probably why these two coaches have had different levels of recruiting success thus far. Sark has to prove on the field before people take notice.

Uh, what?

We have been ass forever and have strung together top 5-10 classes for the most part. A little early to jump to the conclusion that this class is falling flat given that 1.) This class is ranked sixth in the country and first in the big 12 at the moment, and 2.) Many top recruits, particularly on the lines, remain uncommitted.

If you said COVID has taken away the new coach bump in April or May, you deserved to be attacked because it was a fucking dead period until June. There’s just no way to support that statement at that point, just like there isn’t now. Check back in toward the start of the season once most of these guys have chosen their schools.

Excuse me, good sir. I have gushed no period blood. I’m happy with the class and have no doubts it’s going to be top 10 at worst. So, really quite the opposite of gushing period blood. The thread title would fit that description though.

But upon further reading, it was CTJs edit, so I’ll take it as more of a jab at the bleeding vaginas.

I, Francis, have collectively lightened up.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Cross-posting.)

Brian Perroni

Hide contents

Brian Perroni

I just wanted to share the latest on what I’ve been told after talking to quite a few people about some major A&M targets, two with decisions coming up.

-Five-star Humble Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks has set his decision date for June 24. That matches up with the timeline of what he had told me after his A&M official this past weekend that it would be in the next month or so.

At this point, I don’t think he has completely decided. However, I still like my Crystal Ball prediction of A&M. The Aggies got the last official visit, which was huge, and Banks really likes both Josh Henson and analyst Robert Luce.

Texas is the main competition for the Aggies and are not ruled out by any means. Both schools will make their final pitches over the next few weeks and you never know what can happen. But, from talking to a lot of people, I believe A&M is playing from the front on this one.

I don’t think he ends up at any of the other three finalists – LSU, Oklahoma State and Oregon – but Oklahoma State is the only one I would completely write off. LSU does not seem to have much hope of landing him once that initial visit high wore off and Oregon has never really been seen as a huge contender.

Banks is not exactly sure how he plans to announce on the 24th, whether it be a video, a ceremony or something else, but he should start ironing out those details soon.

-An announcement that is even sooner is that of Suwannee (Ga.) Lambert four-star wide receiver Kojo Antwi. He is set to make his decision on Mon., June 5.

The nation’s No. 115 overall prospect took officials in June to A&M, Georgia, Ohio State and USC. I have not heard a ton about the Trojans being a big player, though.

For A&M’s part, the Aggies feel decent about their chances. However, like the other schools, they do not know what he is going to do.

You can expect both A&M and Georgia to use their current commits, especially the quarterbacks, to hep sway him heading into the decision. Antwi has thrown with Conner Weigman while in Houston and Weigman also made it to town during Antwi’s official. However, Georgia commit Gunner Stockton has been friends with him for quite some time and is also a national top-50 quarterback.

Ohio State is one that does not get a ton of talk but nobody I’ve talked to has dismissed the Buckeyes. They are sort of the wildcard possibility.

We should have more info later in the week and over the weekend but, as of now, A&M is cautiously optimistic but by no means does it feel like he is in the bag.

-After his official visit to Ohio State this past weekend, a visit he had been looking forward to for a long time, four-star offensive tackle Kam Dewberry told Steve Wiltfong he came close to committing on the trip. The good news for the Aggies is that he did not.

Wiltfong put in a Crystal Ball prediction for Ohio State on Wednesday but, from talking to a few people, I do not believe a decision anywhere is imminent.

Dewberry has long said he could commit at any point. He could wake up one day and decide he is ready to make a pledge. However, he has an official set to Oklahoma early in the season and one likely to Alabama a little later in the year. I believe he will use those before doing anything.

A&M still feels pretty good about landing Dewberry in the end. They have the familiarity and the fact that Dewberry is close to both the coaches and players. The distance could also play a factor once the visit high wears off.

Ohio State is still a huge contender and the Buckeyes have landed a ton of top prospects from the Lone Star State as of late. So I would not count them out at all. But, the longer this goes on, the better it is for the Aggies. Dewberry is also expected to be at the recruiting barbecue at the end of August.

June has already passed, right? I figured the first time was just a typo, but then he had again for another one. 

58 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

12948976.jpg

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Cross-posting.)

Brian Perroni

Reveal hidden contents

Brian Perroni

The source off continues

I asked a friend that is involved with programs and recruiting all over the country about Cam Williams today. He's prone to hyperbole and histrionics in real life, much less so in public. "Sark can't close." I don't know which persona I was talking to, frankly. I plan on burning his house down and murdering HenryJames with a meat cleaver if Williams doesn't choose Texas. People have been touting CW silently committing to Texas as the reason they told Sexton they couldn't take his commitment. 

Whatever happens, I'll be rotating in a new title. Maybe "Sark Can't Close" or "Cam I Haz Williams?" I don't know. Maybe "And What Do We Say To the God of Death?" We'll have to see where it all goes, I guess. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I asked a friend that is involved with programs and recruiting all over the country about Cam Williams today. He's prone to hyperbole and histrionics in real life, much less so in public. "Sark can't close." I don't know which persona I was talking to, frankly. I plan on burning his house down and murdering HenryJames with a meat cleaver if Williams doesn't choose Texas. People have been touting CW silently committing to Texas as the reason they told Sexton they couldn't take his commitment. 

Whatever happens, I'll be rotating in a new title. Maybe "Sark Can't Close" or "Cam I Haz Williams?" I don't know. Maybe "And What Do We Say To the God of Death?" We'll have to see where it all goes, I guess. 

NOW, can we melt, please?

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

So thats why Gabe from TFB was saying a bunch of shit on twitter.  

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I won't inundate the recruiting board with NIL posts, but this is the type of stuff we need to take advantage of.

I'm no expert but I would think business sponsorships will be much more of a needle mover than "consumer" things like this, clothing lines, etc.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think your friend is a pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

I find it hard to believe that we told Sexton we were full if the staff wasn't supremely confident in Williams, Robertson, Hutson, Banks and Campbell.

As a deeply flawed individual, I can tell you with absolute certainty (confidence?!?) that there is a difference between being confident and being right. It's great when they marry up, but some of the worst shit in the history of this planet has occurred when they don't. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mantis toboggan said:

Any one else smell a Gatson incoming?  Will we hear about a “staffer” that erroneously told Sark he was in?  

Hopefully not and it’s just an impending stroke. 

Well that actually worked out pretty well now didn’t it?

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As a deeply flawed individual, I can tell you with absolute certainty (confidence?!?) that there is a difference between being confident and being right. It's great when they marry up, but some of the worst shit in the history of this planet has occurred when they don't. 

Well I hope to fuck that our "all star" cast of recruiters wouldn't cut a kid like Sexton loose based off confidence and not certainty. That being said based off your messages this morning I am fully prepared to take the lose to Oregon tonight over Williams.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tell Gerry hi from us all

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting