Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think the probability of any particular player decommitting from A&M and committing to Texas is extremely small. All their friends are already there or planning to go there. Plus, Jimbo has done stuff in the past at FSU that shows that perception matters and he won't let guys go to a rival school without doing everything to keep them. And to top it off, A&M isn't going to lose enough games to put any jobs in jeopardy.

We need to push hard out of state this year. Prysock, LTG, and some out of state linemen would help. We need to pay Harris and Perkins and Stewart and make damn sure we win those recruitments. And we need to get Banks and Dewberry into the fold.   

The only way Banks, Dewberry or Perkins wears orange is if they end up in the state penitentiary. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

57 minutes ago, jordanaggie said:

Who considered him a&m's top recruiter? His reputation was for taking "recruiting trip" vacations and coming back empty handed. I can't think of anyone he landed.

Well, in fairness he was recruiting for aggy so he had 2 strikes against him before he even walked into a recruit's home.

Kids want to win, develop, and go to the NFL. Texas hasn't accomplished those tasks for shit the last 10 years. It's as simple as that.

Here's the silver lining:

Sarkisian just needs to show a positive trajectory (and not embarrass himself repeatedly like Strong and Herman did), and we'll be able to pluck players from other schools via the one-time transfer policy to fill in roster holes until Texas starts truly being in the conversation for championships.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Kids want to win, develop, and go to the NFL. Texas hasn't accomplished those tasks for shit the last 10 years. It's as simple as that.

We haven’t won, but we’ve had plenty of solid DB’s make a name for themselves in the NFL in the last 10 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SarksJuggs said:

We haven’t won, but we’ve had plenty of solid DB’s make a name for themselves in the NFL in the last 10 years. 

That's one positional grouping. It doesn't really move the needle for the perception of the program. Also, many of those guys were late-round picks or undrafted. Which, again, just supports the narrative that Texas hasn't been good at developing players.

Current NFL DBs:

Phillips: 2014, undrafted

Diggs: 2015, 6th round

Elliott: 2018, 6th round

Hill: 2018, undrafted

Boyd: 2019, 7th round

Locke: 2019, undrafted

Jones: 2020, 3rd round

Sterns: 2021, 5th round

Now, go compare their recruiting rankings with where those rankings get drafted, on average. Spoiler alert, it's shit.

DB is, by far, Texas' most successful grouping in terms of sheer numbers in the NFL, but when broken down by draft position, it doesn't point in our favor. This, right here, is how other schools are able to negatively recruit us.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Ahmad Brooks played QB his junior and senior year too.

That generation wasn't Charmin soft, either. Good friend of mine coaches AAU for a bunch of kids that are at West Brook. His own friends say he is scared of competition at the position and does not like to hit. Shrug it off and move on. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

That's one positional grouping. It doesn't really move the needle for the perception of the program. Also, many of those guys were late-round picks or undrafted. Which, again, just supports the narrative that Texas hasn't been good at developing players.

I think his issue is that it was an oversimplification. Which it was. We made Bryce's top 2. If development was the main issues, we wouldn't have sniffed his top 5.

3 hours ago, golfclap said:

You guys know that OU is not having any issues with the SEC 2025/2022 conversations, right? They have increased their momentum (esp with the 2023 class in Texas) with the move to the SEC. 

Stop trying to find excuses and boogeyman, Occam's razor is your guide, this staff is simply not getting the job done. 

Yep, circumstantial changes could cause an improvement, but there is still a fundamental issue with this staff’s recruiting and his hiring choices. 

Let’s just hope Sark isn’t making as many excuses as people on this board, because if he’s hoping winning big or announcing the move to the SEC will fix everything, then we’re absolutely fucked. 

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So recruiting style-wise over the last decade we went from:

Mack Brown:  Identified his targets early and hoped to have the recruiting class committed before their senior season started.  Got lazy.  Evaluations suffered.  Roster went to shit.

Charlie Strong:  Took the first 9 months of the cycle off and then crammed 12 months of recruiting into 3 months.  Signed some decent classes - but not at the level Texas was expected to sign.

Tom Herman:  Hit and miss with evaluations and his staff outside of a couple of guys were shit coaches and recruiters.  Signed top classes but roster management was bad (where are the OL?).  Carrington saved a lot of recruitments.  Herman was an asshole who wouldn't even acknowledge players in the hallways - but he did have enough personality to finish out some pretty good classes.

Early evaluations of Sark are that he is extremely laid back in his recruiting style.  Wants kids to take their time and isn't looking to pressure anyone to make a decision early.  Problem appears to be that the HC and staff haven't really pushed or prioritized the top guys enough.  At least one (Anderson) has 9.95'ers reporting that he felt more 'wanted' by other coaching staffs.  Sark and staff do appear to be quick with backup options when their main target goes elsewhere.  Did a decent job in the transfer portal filling needs.  Initial reports were that Sark's personality would be a big plus in recruiting.

We heard that Banks was a big time recruiter and closer - but that was with Saban as the Head Coach.  Does it matter what type of recruiter you are if the Head Coach can't match you?

Would replacing Harris necessarily solve the problem of Sark not being engaged enough or not pushing hard enough for early commitments? 

Is the alcoholism a concern at all for parents/recruits?  I haven't seen any 9.95'ers report about it since around the time of the hire - is that because recruits and parents don't give a shit?

Is this going to be more of a Strong style of recruiting where they try to get things done at the end of the season?

Obviously these are all just early evaluations - and Sark is fighting against a decade of the worst Texas football ever where kids being recruited now have never seen Vince Young play except on youtube.   

Will the move to the SEC make a big enough difference to get recruiting back to Mack or even Herman levels?

Sark might have a sordid past but based on his rehabilitation the guy has a pretty compelling story to sell. Look how I turned around my life, I’m the embodiment of second chances, I know what it is like to lose everything so this means even more to me now, etc. 

I don’t really see the alcoholism as a negative. Most of the alcoholics I know that are in recovery are some of the most ambitious and determined people I’ve ever met.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Current NFL DBs:

Now, go compare their recruiting rankings with where those rankings get drafted, on average. Spoiler alert, it's shit.

DB is, by far, Texas' most successful grouping in terms of sheer numbers in the NFL, but when broken down by draft position, it doesn't point in our favor. This, right here, is how other schools are able to negatively recruit us.

What does aggy's DB development look like though? Off the top of my head, can't imagine it's much better. This is a good analysis but not sure it was the nail in the coffin here.

11 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I think his issue is that it was an oversimplification. Which it was. We made Bryce's top 2. If development was the main issues, we wouldn't have sniffed his top 5.

Everything in life is more nuanced than it appears. However, if Texas was consistently developing players and winning, Anderson would be a Longhorn. That's a fact.

This isn't as much as "Sark sucks at recruiting" as it is that Texas has repeatedly garnered the same result over the past 12 years and is now on its fourth head coach in that time span. The program now has a large sample size that's turning into a reputation and it's getting harder to combat.

2 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

What does aggy's DB development look like though? Off the top of my head, can't imagine it's much better. This is a good analysis but not sure it was the nail in the coffin here.

Again, DB development (which what I provided showed we underdeveloped our high-star DBs) doesn't matter to recruiting overall. 

As far as A&M recruiting well, that's where this gets fucked up logically and easy to fix if Sark can win quickly. Negative perception goes out of the window when you can sell a coach with a national championship, a winning trajectory, and current positive results. They were one spot out of the playoff last year, and the reasons as to why don't matter all that much to recruits. The dude is selling f-ing College Station to recruits. Three reasons: winning (and winning in the SEC despite not even playing for a conference title), development, and they're getting compensated.

Previous 5-Year NFL Draft Total:

aggy: 21

Texas: 15

Just now, closetohumping said:

They are coming off a top 5 finish and their head coach has won a national title.

Yes, CTH gets it. This is what matters to recruits who are weighing their options to try to be the most successful version of themselves. We, as Texas fans, have to take off our UT bias here. Sure, there will always be kids who grow up red ass or bleeding burnt orange who go to aggy or UT because of it, but when BLAKE F'N BROCKS kids go to Bama because of UT's current development and program reputation, that should tell you something about how everyone else else currently views Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yes, CTH gets it. This is what matters to recruits who are weighing their options to try to be the most successful version of themselves. We, as Texas fans, have to take off our UT bias here. Sure, there will always be kids who grow up red ass or bleeding burnt orange who go to aggy or UT because of it, but when BLAKE F'N BROCKS kids go to Bama because of UT's current development and program reputation, that should tell you something about how everyone else else currently views Texas.

Fuck the Brocks. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, jordanaggie said:

He was dogshit at A&M. Honestly. Not trying to be a dick, but I couldn't believe yall hired him. Or Terry Joseph, for that matter.

One of the oldest aggy turditions: revising history to tell of the glorious existence since 1876. Coincidentally, that was just a few short years before aggy's ONLY football national championship.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Don't want to think ahead with way things are currently, but if Bo gets the Mississippi DT (looking likely) and Bledsoe, does Swanson get processed out?

Taking two more DT’s would likely cause a numbers crunch assuming they only want to sign 22-23 and leave room for a few portal guys.

8 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

9 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… and Texas ain’t done shit since these recruits were in kindergarten.

I thought Sark was a great hire and he certainly still may be.  I'm very bullish.  However, my expectations were that he was going to bring all the Bama recruiting platitudes here and we would be off and running.  And first few months we landed Owens, stewart, Winfield, Blue and a few others.  Now some of them did it for attention and follows but still I was excited.

We can't really compare Sark to Charlie or Tom.  They both could pitch the "new beginnings and fresh start" stuff.  Sark is replacement 3, how do you think that message resonates.  Sark needs to win, put players in the pros and we need to get better at the NIL/bag stuff.  It's doable, but it won't be easy.

I'll reiterate, most of the posters here are either in sales or law.  How hard is it to build a business case against Sark/Texas.  Pretty easy if you're ou, Bama, tOSU and even aggy.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Current NFL DBs:

Other schools are already selling the lack of success of the Foster/Green class as well.  Sterns is drafted, Jamison likely will be, but who else?

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

I don’t really see the alcoholism as a negative. Most of the alcoholics I know that are in recovery are some of the most ambitious and determined people I’ve ever met.

yeah but is he in recovery? just because you’re dry doesn’t mean you’re in recovery. and dry drunks are a goddamn liability. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Everything in life is more nuanced than it appears. However, if Texas was consistently developing players and winning, Anderson would be a Longhorn. That's a fact.

This isn't as much as "Sark sucks at recruiting" as it is that Texas has repeatedly garnered the same result over the past 12 years and is now on its fourth head coach in that time span. The program now has a large sample size that's turning into a reputation and it's getting harder to combat.

I'm not disagreeing with any of this, but the fact that we were in Bryce's top 2 suggests that it was a winnable recruitment despite these factors. Obviously, if we start developing and winning, we won't have to debate things like perception and negative recruiting.

Following Texas football has been utterly depressing since I have been a fan. We squander our potential like no other. Our best era since I attended Texas during the late '90s was the Mack Brown era. We were winning a lot of games then, won the National Championship and played in another, but we would come up short against OU more often than not, which would leave a bad taste in my mouth for several weeks. I hope I get to enjoy Bama/OSU like success sometime before my time is over.

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Following Texas football has been utterly depressing since I have been a fan. We squander our potential like no other. Our best era since I attended Texas during the late '90s was the Mack Brown era. We were winning a lot of games then, won the National Championship and played in another, but we would come up short against OU more often than not, which would leave a bad taste in my mouth for several weeks. I hope I get to enjoy Bama/OSU like success sometime before my time is over.

utterly depressing, huh? interesting. 

• Fuck You 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting