Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

36 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Lol you’re such a pussy. Don’t compare the Brock’s to Ewers just because you want the kid to fail for picking the guaranteed option. In reality which one of us stupid fucks would pick Herman/hand over Saban/flood???? There’s only one Brock who is an asshole and I hope he regrets being a piece of shit. 

What’s the difference?  I said I didn’t like that he chose the NIL money over his team that helped get him where he is.  That same money will be there in December after the HS playoffs.  He turned his back on them. All those years of hard work to try and win a championship are gone.  He’s a quitter. Cade Clubinik could have done the same thing but chose to support his friends, community and school.  So tell me how I am wrong?

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

What’s the difference?  I said I didn’t like that he chose the NIL money over his team that helped get him where he is.  That same money will be there in December after the HS playoffs.  He turned his back on them. All those years of hard work to try and win a championship are gone.  He’s a quitter. Cade Clubinik could have done the same thing but chose to support his friends, community and school.  So tell me how I am wrong?

Ewers leaving for suckeyes now, takes away a career ending injury risk before college...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Well for starters he didn’t quit lol. Much like being the best in the country allows you to leave college early he started this trend in high school. Will it change football, yeah it probably will. Is it kind of selfish? Maybe maybe not gif. Secondly, klubnik and ewers are not in the same league as prospects lol. Ewers was # 1 in both the 2021 and 2022 classes while Cade made it to 32 with a composite ranking. If you believe Clemson would have taken Klubnik before he played his senior season then I fucked up and should have never engaged this conversation haha. 

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Well for starters he didn’t quit lol. Much like being the best in the country allows you to leave college early he started this trend in high school. Will it change football, yeah it probably will. Is it kind of selfish? Maybe maybe not gif. Secondly, klubnik and ewers are not in the same league as prospects lol. Ewers was # 1 in both the 2021 and 2022 classes while Cade made it to 32 with a composite ranking. If you believe Clemson would have taken Klubnik before he played his senior season then I fucked up and should have never engaged this conversation haha. 

To be fair, Klubinik beat him in the 6A championship and at the Elite 11. But hey, Ewers was rated number 1 so that’s more important than actual results. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Still don't think it'll happen, but the Rivals national guy Adam Gorney thinks it's Ohio State and Texas at the top for Earnest Greene.  Maybe we are telling him he could play Tackle here?

At this point I think most Surly posters would be takes at OT so I’m sure they’re cool giving Greene a try.
  • Hook 'Em 1

You died on the Tunmise hill bro…just stop!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Lol you’re such a pussy. Don’t compare the Brock’s to Ewers just because you want the kid to fail for picking the guaranteed option. In reality which one of us stupid fucks would pick Herman/hand over Saban/flood???? There’s only one Brock who is an asshole and I hope he regrets being a piece of shit. 

*Brocks

If you want to say "Fuck the Brocks", go for it. Just don't be a bitch when people say Fuck Ewers.

I'm generally of the opinion that saying "Fuck You" to 17/18 year old kids, who happen to choose schools other than Texas, (especially when it appears to be in their own best interest) isn't cool. But, you do you.

Once they've enrolled at OU, I feel no qualms about telling them to fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

*Brocks

If you want to say "Fuck the Brocks", go for it. Just don't be a bitch when people say Fuck Ewers.

I'm generally of the opinion that saying "Fuck You" to 17/18 year old kids, who happen to choose schools other than Texas, (especially when it appears to be in their own best interest) isn't cool. But, you do you.

Once they've enrolled at OU, I feel no qualms about telling them to fuck off.

You quoted the wrong person I think lol, I think that Blake is an asshole but his kids I have no qualms with. I thought I made that clear but maybe not. I wouldn’t commit to Herman or hand and I wouldn’t want my child to either. I also don’t have any ill will towards ewers and I’m afraid he’s going to be a great QB in college. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Harvdog said:

So I guess there’s a signing bonus?  I mean what legitimate business is going to throw money for name image likeness before a player actually becomes a starter.  I mean businesses expect a nice ROI.  Even Arch Manning with the famous name doesn’t sell more cars from the lot until he wins some games and been around for a while.  I mean Ehlinger, Colt, Vince could maybe move some product in Austin but that effect diminishes greatly as the distance increases.

Ewers expecting to make bank is interesting.  It’s not like Ohio State current QB room is going to just bow down to the great mullet from Southlake.  He could very well not win the job and transfer to Utah.

So is it just understood that businesses are going to just pay a salary to everyone on the team?  Or some ridiculous NFT trading card that sells and proceeds go to player?

If top players are getting paid unequally which certainly seems like it would be so do you then give some of your pay to the o lineman so they protect your ass?  How does that affect the locker room dynamics if I know Bijan is making 200k and I got 1000 doing electronic cameos as his lineman.  Some issues to be seen perhaps.

Ewers not wanting to get hurt playing on Fridays for free and stepping up in level is a no brainer.  High school I’m sure is fucking awesome as the star QB but it’s still high school.  Not everyone peaks in high school.  Looking at you Uncle Rico.

I’d certainly love to see what these rookies are actually going to get.  People saying 6-7 figures I just don’t see it. League minimum NFL guys barely getting that and they are signed to contracts.  The college player is essentially a perpetual free agent in today’s transfer market.  Where’s the checks and balances on say Evan Stewart going to Miami.  Using his Instagram to collab on a  bunch of nonsense.  Then saying fuck it I’m going to USC, and then let’s swing by UT.  Players still got to be badass to get attention and keep it.  No ones going to keep paying attention to anyone not starting expect perhaps the constant backup QB that should be starting over the starter.

17 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

So I guess there’s a signing bonus?  I mean what legitimate business is going to throw money for name image likeness before a player actually becomes a starter.  I mean businesses expect a nice ROI.  Even Arch Manning with the famous name doesn’t sell more cars from the lot until he wins some games and been around for a while.  I mean Ehlinger, Colt, Vince could maybe move some product in Austin but that effect diminishes greatly as the distance increases.

Ewers expecting to make bank is interesting.  It’s not like Ohio State current QB room is going to just bow down to the great mullet from Southlake.  He could very well not win the job and transfer to Utah.

So is it just understood that businesses are going to just pay a salary to everyone on the team?  Or some ridiculous NFT trading card that sells and proceeds go to player?

If top players are getting paid unequally which certainly seems like it would be so do you then give some of your pay to the o lineman so they protect your ass?  How does that affect the locker room dynamics if I know Bijan is making 200k and I got 1000 doing electronic cameos as his lineman.  Some issues to be seen perhaps.

Ewers not wanting to get hurt playing on Fridays for free and stepping up in level is a no brainer.  High school I’m sure is fucking awesome as the star QB but it’s still high school.  Not everyone peaks in high school.  Looking at you Uncle Rico.

I’d certainly love to see what these rookies are actually going to get.  People saying 6-7 figures I just don’t see it. League minimum NFL guys barely getting that and they are signed to contracts.  The college player is essentially a perpetual free agent in today’s transfer market.  Where’s the checks and balances on say Evan Stewart going to Miami.  Using his Instagram to collab on a  bunch of nonsense.  Then saying fuck it I’m going to USC, and then let’s swing by UT.  Players still got to be badass to get attention and keep it.  No ones going to keep paying attention to anyone not starting expect perhaps the constant backup QB that should be starting over the starter.

The people paying kids aren't doing it expecting theml kid to sell cars, the fact that they are a booster of Texas is what's gonna sell cars.

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

ROI? Schools have been paying players for decades and the only returns that they’re looking for are championships and bragging rights.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Dr.Dre said:

Why do a lot of people on this board seem to think of this as a legitimate business? 

Give big deals

Let recruits see big deals

Sign recruits

Win Championships

That's your ROI.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@closetojumping what’s this talk by some posters on IT about Margin Hooks replacing Coleman after the season?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but Hooks hasn't coached in college at all has he?  He went from college to a short stint in the pros to a trainer/high school coach, no? 

Also, WR coach is probably one of the few spots you can have 0 college coaching experience and be fine if you have the experience Hooks does. He trains D1 WR's so we know he is familiar with all the technical aspects of the position and you would really be bringing him on board for his connections with high school prospects/coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The people paying kids aren't doing it expecting theml kid to sell cars, the fact that they are a booster of Texas is what's gonna sell cars.

It's so fucking obvious that it's really embarrassing that it needs to be said over and over and over again and yet so many here still don't get it.

• Like 1

On3 Inside Scoop

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX) - 2022 IT caught up with the father of the five-star North Shore cornerback. It’s not hard to see where Denver gets his genes from. Dad is a taller, basketball version of Denver. He’s still dunking in his (I’m guessing) early 50’s.

He is low-key and therefore we won’t share much, but he did say his best personal relationship with any coach is with Steve Sarkisian. They message or talk every week. Mr. Harris said he was shocked at how personable and hands-on Sarkisian was on the Harris’ official visit. He mentioned Sarkisian spent much of the weekend side by side with the Harris family. Sark was there so frequently, Mr. Harris had to pause and ask him if he’s always like this.

The Texas staff has done better with parents than players of late. So we’re being cautious, but Denver does value his father’s input.

Texas had a Zoom with Denver and his father over the weekend. From the Texas perspective, the call went very well.

Everything else is status quo: Texas needs to put a good product on the field and the corners need to play well for UT to stay in it with Alabama.

It’s still a two team race.

If Harris isn’t the most important target in the cycle, it’s probably…

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) - 2022: The On3 five-star receiver begins fall camp today and is eager to get back on the field. After a long off-season of recruiting visits and social media mastery, the 6-foot-0, 175 pound pass-catcher with 37 offers is set for his senior campaign.

Even with Stewart somewhat smitten with Florida and Alabama, Texas remains a strong candidate in this pursuit. The former UT pledge still talks to UT regularly and continues building his relationship with Andre Coleman and Jeff Banks, and is likely to be back in Austin for a game this season.

If Harris and Stewart aren’t the most important targets in the cycle, it could very well be…

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: The nation’s top ranked interior offensive lineman begins his final season today as Bowie’s varsity camp opens.

The 6-foot-3, 310-pounder made hanging out in Austin this off-season cool. He tripped to UT on multiple occasions, including July 30th when he showed up to the BBQ/pool party as a surprise guest.

Campbell holds offers from virtually everyone and holds Texas and OU in high regard. UT has paced this recruitment since Sark took over, and again with Kyle Flood’s influence, the Horns look strong for the state’s top offensive lineman.

OL TJ Shanahan, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023: For Todd Dodge’s retirement party, he was gifted with the Timber Creek (Orlando, FL) offensive lineman this season.

The 6-foot-4, 300 pound four-star composite took visits to UT, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida earlier this summer. He holds 37 offers including Ohio State, Georgia, Notre Dame, and OU.

Shanahan is a big fan of Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood and loves what they accomplished at Alabama. With fellow lineman Connor Robertson already in the boat, this can only help the Horns' chances for the Junior Angilau clone.

DT Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS) - 2022: Ahead of his August 26th announcement, Texas remains the favorite for the 6-foot-4, 300-pound defensive tackle prospect. Ole Miss and Texas A&M remain the others involved, but Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has done a terrific job relationship building with Bryant.

Bryant, a member of the On300, is viewed as a prospect with a very high ceiling by the Texas staff.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Eric Nahlin) Inside Scoop: Team notes and starting depth chart; The Big 3 recruits; Hoops

One of the big mysteries of the summer has surrounded linebacker DeMarvion Overshown’s role. The senior athlete with elite athleticism for the position had been working at Sam linebacker. The problem there, is, Sam comes off the field when the defense goes to nickel and its hard to envision Overshown leaving the field. Agent Zero, the Arm Bandit, has been at Will linebacker to start camp. Will is essentially the most middle inside linebacker.

It’s not nearly as confusing as it seems. His time spent at Sam was likely to give others more reps inside, but perhaps to also get him ready to rush the passer on 3rd down. David Gbenda is second team Will. Luke Brockermeyer is the starting Mike. We reported after the spring he’d get a crack at starting and that is indeed the case. Behind him is Jaylan Ford. Those two will have a spirited competition but don’t rule out Gbenda figuring into the Mike discussion.

When asked how the linebackers have looked so far, IT was told Overshown already has 2-3 interceptions in ‘team’ work and Brockermeyer has one as well. Overall the defense is ahead of the offense, which was particularly obvious in Sunday’s night time practice. Overshown at Will promotes Ovie Oghoufo to starting Sam. Alabama transfer Ben Davis will compete with the Notre Dame transfer when he’s back to full health. It’s likely Davis’ position to lose.

Another minor move is the corners flipping sides of the field. Josh Thompson is at field corner and D’Shawn Jamison is at boundary. As we routinely mention, Kitan Crawford is on a mission to see the field this year. He is viewed as having the highest upside of any defensive back currently on the team. We mentioned Jerrin Thompson’s move to nickel last week. That puts Brenden Schooler at strong safety and BJ Foster at free safety.

Starting 12 if Texas had a game today (includes both Sam and nickel):

XOLB Ray Thornton, 3-tech Moro Ojomo, NT Keondre Coburn, JOLB Jacoby Jones
WLB DeMarvion Overshown, MLB Luke Brockermeyer, SLB Ovie Oghoufo
Nickel Jerrin Thompson, FCB Josh Thompson, FS BJ Foster, SS Brenden Schooler, BCB D’Shawn Jamison

Two big competitions on offense are quarterback and center. We’ve heard of no big disparity between Casey Thompson and Hudson Card, though Thompson has thrown some picks when challenging the middle of the field. One source was happy to see him being more aggressive, even if it didn’t always work out. The scrimmage this Saturday is going to be way more telling than practice. “It’ll sort itself out,” said a source.

Another competition is at center where Jake Majors and Junior Angilau are battling it out. We’ve heard of no big discrepancy there. When Majors is at center, Angilau is at right guard. When Angilau is at center, Tope Imade is at right guard. The offensive line hasn’t gotten much push but the run game has been vanilla so far, aside from running more 20 personnel than during the spring. When in 20, it can be any mix of Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, and Keilan Robinson. But it’s usually Bijan and one of Roschon or Keilan.

The personnel package being run the most is two tight ends (12 personnel). That has been exclusively Cade Brewer and Jared Wiley with the ones. Brewer is down 10 pounds and looking the best he has since the knee injury he suffered his freshman year. The receivers are Jordan Whittington and Joshua Moore. Xavier Worthy continues to be mentioned and it’s very possible he starts this year, whether it’s inside or outside.

Troy Omeire’s hands were mentioned as a positive at the position. I’m not sure we’ll know how well he’s truly moving until the season opener. Overall, wide receivers are off to a bit of a slow start. Whittington’s consistency and Worthy’s athleticism are the lone high points so far. There are too many drops and too many missed assignments. Starting 11 if Texas had a game today.

QB Casey Thompson OR Hudson Card
RB Bijan Robinson
TE Jared Wiley and Cade Brewer
WR Jordan Whittington and Joshua Moore
OL (L-R) Christian Jones-Denzel Okafor-Jake Majors-Junior Angilau-Derek Kerstetter

There are still 20+ practices remaining so the depth chart is not close to being set.

Recruiting

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX) – 2022 IT caught up with the father of the five-star North Shore cornerback. It’s not hard to see where Denver gets his genes from. Dad is a taller, basketball version of Denver. He’s still dunking in his (I’m guessing) early 50’s.

He is low-key and therefore we won’t share much, but he did say his best personal relationship with any coach is with Steve Sarkisian. They message or talk every week. Mr. Harris said he was shocked at how personable and hands-on Sarkisian was on the Harris’ official visit. He mentioned Sarkisian spent much of the weekend side by side with the Harris family. Sark was there so frequently, Mr. Harris had to pause and ask him if he’s always like this.

The Texas staff has done better with parents than players of late. So we’re being cautious, but Denver does value his father’s input. Texas had a Zoom with Denver and his father over the weekend. From the Texas perspective, the call went very well. Everything else is status quo: Texas needs to put a good product on the field and the corners need to play well for UT to stay in it with Alabama. It’s still a two team race. If Harris isn’t the most important target in the cycle, it’s probably…

WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX) – 2022: The On3 five-star receiver begins fall camp today and is eager to get back on the field. After a long off-season of recruiting visits and social media mastery, the 6-foot-0, 175 pound pass-catcher with 37 offers is set for his senior campaign.

Even with Stewart somewhat smitten with Florida and Alabama, Texas remains a strong candidate in this pursuit. The former UT pledge still talks to UT regularly and continues building his relationship with Andre Coleman and Jeff Banks, and is likely to be back in Austin for a game this season. If Harris and Stewart aren’t the most important targets in the cycle, it could very well be…

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) – 2022: The nation’s top ranked interior offensive lineman begins his final season today as Bowie’s varsity camp opens. The 6-foot-3, 310-pounder made hanging out in Austin this off-season cool. He tripped to UT on multiple occasions, including July 30th when he showed up to the BBQ/pool party as a surprise guest. Campbell holds offers from virtually everyone and holds Texas and OU in high regard. UT has paced this recruitment since Sark took over, and again with Kyle Flood’s influence, the Horns look strong for the state’s top offensive lineman.

OL TJ Shanahan, Westlake (Austin, TX) – 2023: For Todd Dodge’s retirement party, he was gifted with the Timber Creek (Orlando, FL) offensive lineman this season. The 6-foot-4, 300 pound four-star composite took visits to UT, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida earlier this summer. He holds 37 offers including Ohio State, Georgia, Notre Dame, and OU. Shanahan is a big fan of Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood and loves what they accomplished at Alabama. With fellow lineman Connor Robertson already in the boat, this can only help the Horns’ chances for the Junior Angilau clone.

DT Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS) – 2022: Ahead of his August 26th announcement, Texas remains the favorite for the 6-foot-4, 300-pound defensive tackle prospect. Ole Miss and Texas A&M remain the others involved, but Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis has done a terrific job relationship building with Bryant. Bryant, a member of the On300, is viewed as a prospect with a very high ceiling by the Texas staff.

Hoops

Texas continues to make positive gains with five-star Cason Wallace (Richardson High). The 6-foot-3 combo guard’s recruitment will reach its fever pitch the last week of August with a visit to Kentucky, and then a trip to Texas on September 3rd-5th.

The big question for Texas in regard to this recruitment remains; will Wallace, knowing that Keyonte George was the top target for the Longhorns until Chris Beard watched the 2022 class live in late June and the first week of July, be okay with Texas prioritizing him later in the process? Tennessee will be selling loyalty in the process. Kentucky was recruiting Wallace harder than Texas for a while, despite not offering until late. The Longhorns have work to do, but Beard is all in.

Texas continues to pursue 6-foot-10 PF Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep, CA), PG Rowan Brumbaugh (Northfield Mount Hermon, MA) and skilled forward Isaac Traudt (Grand Island, NE). All three are currently expected to take visits to Austin before making decisions.

If there is one prospect that a move to the SEC could hurt with, it appears to be the 6-foot-9 Traudt. Texas in the Big 12 would have played a number of games close to Traudt’s home state, but now that won’t be happening. The main competition for Traudt is Michigan State and Virginia.

NIL, UT, and IT

If you want to meet a handful of the players mentioned in this post, and some that weren’t, clear your calendar this Saturday at 5:30. Just a few hours after the first scrimmage, IT will host a gathering with 6-8 UT players at a location to be determined (but central to Austin). Some parents will likely be in attendance too.

We met zero resistance on putting this together with Texas compliance. We simply sent players a proposal which they forwarded to compliance. A couple days later we were given the green light.

Stay tuned for the venue.

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

OL TJ Shanahan, Westlake (Austin, TX) - 2023: For Todd Dodge’s retirement party, he was gifted with the Timber Creek (Orlando, FL) offensive lineman this season.

The 6-foot-4, 300 pound four-star composite took visits to UT, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida earlier this summer. He holds 37 offers including Ohio State, Georgia, Notre Dame, and OU.

Shanahan is a big fan of Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood and loves what they accomplished at Alabama. With fellow lineman Connor Robertson already in the boat, this can only help the Horns' chances for the Junior Angilau clone.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/609/873/9873609.jpg?fit=crop&width=100&fit=crop

I think I figured out why OL are called big uglies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why do a lot of people on this board seem to think of this as a legitimate business? 

Give big deals

Sign recruits

Win Championships

That's your ROI.

To be fair, there is a legitimate business side of NIL in addition to boosters like described above. These kids have a very real "influencer" presence that can be legitimately monetized. 

Ex: Bijan has like 100k Insta followers. That's worth a lot of money. Opendorse estimates that Uconn WBB player to be worth ~$1mm per year just based on legit deals. There's real money to be made there.

I do think the legit side will take longer to happen bc most businesses aren't yet aware of NIL and how to do it. 

14 minutes ago, ousux said:
14 hours ago, Creasy Bear said:
ROI? Schools have been paying players for decades and the only returns that they’re looking for are championships and bragging rights.

Not schools per se, individuals with some extra cash and ties to those schools or just superfans.

It's a pissing match for them.  Same as why the super rich buy mega yachts that sit idle.  It's bragging rights, this isn't a business investment

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Give big deals

Sign recruits

Win Championships

That's your ROI.

14 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Y’all are a little off base on this. A lot of the money is certainly boosters just paying players and that’s the part that UT has refused to do anything with, but there are a lot of legitimate NIL avenues that will require something of the player and they will certainly play a big role in UT’s overall NIL benefit, once it gets up and running. Bijan and others have already signed some legit BIL deals and there will be more to come, especially if Bijan can become a Heisman contender, like most of us think he will. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Can we just grab Samples and be done with it?

Yeah, I’d rather leave Hooks as an established DFW trainer who’s in our corner, than pull him on to the staff. He’ll give us a big bump for a the first year or two but that will eventually fade. Seems like someone like Samples + Hooks as a friendly trainer would mean we’d absolutely clean up in-state every year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting