Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So we're just gonna load up w/ 3 stars and coach 'em up, huh?

What @Schulz2.0 said. 

The rating system is kinda wacky right now outside of the top 100 because of the gif between services. Imo the patchwork of tape from Covid yr did favors for some and hurt others. There are a bunch more 3*s who should be 4*s and vice versa this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

On3 has him as top 200 player in the country. 247's ranking of Bryant is way off and is dragging his rating down.

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

What @Schulz2.0 said. 

The rating system is kinda wacky right now outside of the top 100 because of the gif between services. Imo the patchwork of tape from Covid yr did favors for some and hurt others. There are a bunch more 3*s who should be 4*s and vice versa this year.

I, admittedly, don't follow recruiting closely; thanks for the info. 

7 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

We’ve gone full aggy. This SEC move blows. 😢

I'm going to assume one of the following is happening here:

1.) You don't understand what the OP was attempting to say
2.) You're being sarcastic
3.) You're a Randolph Duke level idiot.

Since I don't really have a negative impression of you as a poster to date, I'm crossing my fingers it's #2 but I'll take #1 as we all misread things on here regularly. If it's #3, thoughts and prayers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Mike Farrell on XM ESPNU radio talking about top 25 and recruiting. “Most underrated in Top 25, Texas”. Shocking smh. Can someone shut this fat inbred up already? 

Isn’t that a compliment? I mean it’s still Fuck Mike Farrell but I’m failing to see how he was dissing us here.

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

What @Schulz2.0 said. 

I noticed Xavier Worthy only played 5 games last year in Fresno. Did Texas high schools play a full schedule? You'd have to imagine it's not just lack of tape, but stunted development with the limited practices and offseason workouts during Covid.

6 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So we're just gonna load up w/ 3 stars and coach 'em up, huh?

One minor complaint. There is nothing wrong with 3-stars on a micro level. Every school takes them. They are only a problem if they comprise a majority of your class. Take 6 or 7 of them, not 15 of them.

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Hey Jeremy Patton, did you happen to see this?

Good luck selling this to whatever new league they're courting.  You know that guy who's been interviewing with us? Turns out he's got a rap sheet.    They keep letting him off and he keeps getting arrested.  Think we should hire him?  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Okcool said:

Mike Farrell on XM ESPNU radio talking about top 25 and recruiting. “Most underrated in Top 25, Texas”. Shocking smh. Can someone shut this fat inbred up already? 

I was already planning this post to ask about an assessment of the class. I see the alarmism that ebbs and flows, but I have lost my sense of where we stand.

image.png.4062270b38699346cb9ee0707701b9c5.png

This is the 247 ranking with the schools grouped around us. 

We're number 10 with 17 commits including a special teams 3 star and another with fewer than 3 stars. We want those guys rather than settling for them, so it doesn't make sense that we be downgraded for that unless the other schools have done the same thing. I don't know if they have.

Maybe we consider the class in terms of the 15 other recruits. That seems to be solidly top ten.

A&M has fewer commitments and is likely to pass us when their number is equal even if we don't count the punter and snapper.

With comparable numbers, Oregon is likely properly rated below us.

With more recruits to come, Clemson will clearly pull far away from us.

Are those assertions correct?

It looks to me like, despite adding a couple of 3 stars that have caused debate and bakery references, we're still in good shape to finish in the top 10 probably not top 5.

Just throwing this out there. I really don't know what to make of the tone of discussion around here versus how I see the ranking. 

Set me straight.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I was already planning this post to ask about an assessment of the class. I see the alarmism that ebbs and flows, but I have lost my sense of where we stand.

We're number 10 with 17 commits including a special teams 3 star and another with fewer than 3 stars. We want those guys rather than settling for them, so it doesn't make sense that we be downgraded for that unless the other schools have done the same thing. I don't know if they have.

Maybe we consider the class in terms of the 15 other recruits. That seems to be solidly top ten.

A&M has fewer commitments and is likely to pass us when their number is equal even if we don't count the punter and snapper.

It looks to me like, despite adding a couple of 3 stars that have caused debate and bakery references, we're still in good shape to finish in the top 10 probably not top 5.

Just throwing this out there. I really don't know what to make of the tone of discussion around here versus how I see the ranking. 

Set me straight.

spacer.png

Part of it is everyone keeps talking only about our current ranking and commits without looking ahead to who we might land to fill out the class. It’s not looking too bright on that front. 

Right now we’re not headed for top 10. Our average recruit ranking is low and will lead to other schools passing us. FSU is the only school ahead of us we could pass and there’s about 6 teams behind with a legit shot of passing us. On top of that, we’re not looking great for any remaining highly rated players, besides Devon Campbell. Guys like Harris and Stewart are still chances but seem unlikely. Right now we only have one recruit in the National top 100, and he’s likely to fall. It’s hard to land high rated guys when you don’t have other high rated guys already in the class. 

All this could change if we have a really good season on the field and maybe if we make our 22 move to the SEC official, but it’s going to take something to shake up the current trajectory. An 8-4 or 9-3 season won’t do much of anything for us in recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Set me straight.

spacer.png

My thoughts:

- I think we still have a chance of ending up in the Top 10, if some significant recruits join our class.  (Semantics, perhaps, but I wouldn't call it being in good shape;  but it can still happen.)

- There was a point when we were a lock for a Top 10, and had a solid chance for a Top 5.  (IIRC, there were around 6 Top 100 players who were either already committed, or virtual locks.  And we were in the running for a few others.  That guaranteed a Top 10, and an upside scenario would have resulted in a Top 5.)

- Since that timeframe, here are some things that happened:

• Decommitments (Mullet, Stewart, Guilbeau) (Owens - although '23 - added to the perception)
  • Significant drops (Murphy, Blue)
  • Misses on huge leans/locks (Banks, Anderson ... ) (CJ - at least as far as ranking goes - even if he's not that good, we passed, etc.)
  • Concern regarding remaining major targets (partially b/c of the above) (Harris, Campbell, Stewart, Thompson)

- Hypothetically, if Harris, Campbell and Stewart committed tomorrow, would that still lock in a Top 10?  Sure.  A trio of 5 stars can do that.  We would break out the Kool-aid, Satya would start dancing in the streets, Satya's features would twitch in a grimace that history would generously label a smile, and all - or most - would be right.  At least with this class.

- But I doubt that anyone  - even the God of recruiting sunshine, Tex-Ra - would consider Harris, Campbell and Stewart locks.  (And I think we would need a couple to have a solid chance at a Top 10;  1 may not be enough.) 

- Sure, performance on the field impacts recruiting.  But we now may need a really good season to simply salvage a solid class;  the recruiting machine - up to this point - may not be a strength, on its own.  And NIL hasn't helped, to put it mildly.  

And so floweth that angst.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Part of it is everyone keeps talking only about our current ranking and commits without looking ahead to who we might land to fill out the class. It’s not looking too bright on that front. 

Right now we’re not headed for top 10. Our average recruit ranking is low and will lead to other schools passing us. FSU is the only school ahead of us we could pass and there’s about 6 teams behind with a legit shot of passing us. On top of that, we’re not looking great for any remaining highly rated players, besides Devon Campbell. Guys like Harris and Stewart are still chances but seem unlikely. Right now we only have one recruit in the National top 100, and he’s likely to fall. It’s hard to land high rated guys when you don’t have other high rated guys already in the class. 

All this could change if we have a really good season on the field and maybe if we make our 22 move to the SEC official, but it’s going to take something to shake up the current trajectory. An 8-4 or 9-3 season won’t do much of anything for us in recruiting. 

How many guys do you think we'll sign? If we sign 22-25 guys, I bet we're in the top ten. Follow up: with the portal, would you rather have the #15 ranked class and save more spots for the transfer portal considering a move to the SEC might boost interest across the country?

• Like 1

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

How many guys do you think we'll sign? If we sign 22-25 guys, I bet we're in the top ten. Follow up: with the portal, would you rather have the #15 ranked class and save more spots for the transfer portal considering a move to the SEC might boost interest across the country?

Hard to say. A lot of it depends on the HS recruit options available at the end of the cycle. If guys like Harris or Stewart want in, then we’ll take more HS guys. But there’s very little chance we make the top 10 with 22 commits. We’d have to be in the 25+ territory to be top 10. 

This isn’t an instance of the staff telling blue chip guys no because we want to save spots for the portal. We’re just missing on most of our top targets. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It will likely not happen, but if we could fall ass backwards into Hyphen and Jacoby, the sting of losing Anderson would be lessened.

Damn LSU's decommitments in the secondary though...

I would really like to add one more coach on the defensive side with the ideal candidate being a defensive back coach at LSU.

Set me straight.
d5cxi9c-57cb8c83-9dbd-4a00-a88f-bb06584e0a4e.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzc1ZmVlNGQ5LTZmYjgtNDczNy1iMjFkLTFjZjRiMGViMjk4MFwvZDVjeGk5Yy01N2NiOGM4My05ZGJkLTRhMDAtYTg4Zi1iYjA2NTg0ZTBhNGUuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.r6R7FihwdCJlR2VrQDp8rtH69cRaW2uHKqNKxqcbodo

Not to be a dick, but you could’ve answered most of your questions by using the 247 calculator in less time than it took to write your post.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Orgeron will not be the coach at LSU this time next year. Why walk into that kind of uncertainty?
Ask Sterlin Gilbert about that, lol. I suppose they know at the end of the day they can easily get a job elsewhere, and LSU goes on the overall resume.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:
Orgeron will not be the coach at LSU this time next year. Why walk into that kind of uncertainty?

Ask Sterlin Gilbert about that, lol. I suppose they know at the end of the day they can easily get a job elsewhere, and LSU goes on the overall resume.

I mean ask everyone that jumped on the Herm train last year as well.  Just blame it on the HC shit show. 

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Not to be a dick, but you could’ve answered most of your questions by using the 247 calculator in less time than it took to write your post.

That's wrong, but thanks for responding. I wanted opinions from this board. I don't care to learn how to use the calculator.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting