Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The story is that it's not really about the buyout, but one of the programming entities. Someone doesn't want to do something until 2023 or an agreement expires by then. There's been a lot of speculation that it's CBS, but that deal is over after 2023, so I still view it as unclear who's doing or saying what. If CBS isn't going to play ball and that's an issue, then 2024 would be the first time in which they're out of the picture.

DONT THEY KNOW THAT HAROLD PERKINS WILL COMMIT TO US IF ITS 2022?!?!?!

Fuckin' CBS

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The story is that it's not really about the buyout, but one of the programming entities. Someone doesn't want to do something until 2023 or an agreement expires by then. There's been a lot of speculation that it's CBS, but that deal is over after 2023, so I still view it as unclear who's doing or saying what. If CBS isn't going to play ball and that's an issue, then 2024 would be the first time in which they're out of the picture.

The GOR doesn’t technically release our TV rights even if we pay the penalty (enforceability of that is highly questionable), so I could certainly see CBS not being willing to get pulled into a lawsuit over broadcasting our games when they’ve already lost SEC rights moving forward. There’s really nothing in it for them. If I were the SEC, I’d agree to indemnify CBS on this issue, though it would still be a hassle for CBS with no upside.

ESPN is probably much more willing to deal with that, since they have a large portion of B12 broadcasting rights currently and a ton of leverage over the Big 12 moving forward. 

If that’s the case though, it would really fucking suck having to wait until 2024. 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wish our OOS DL guys would make it back at some point (Tapp, Finkley, Bryant).

I agree, but I don't think Finkley is a problem. Is Bama even recruiting him anymore? Bryant is probably the 2nd safest, but LSU dying a slow death really helps with Tapp. He's the one I would like to see on campus a couple more times hopefully before December.

• Hook 'Em 2

I know this topic has likely been discussed on the board, so apologies for bring up old shit, but I missed a bit on here this fall. 

Why couldn't we Burnt Ends our way to crowd-sourcing some high school OL recruits that aren't in-state? I know you can't make any NIL money contingent on them signing with us, but I thought Quinn left early so that he could get that $1MM endorsement deal of whatever because Texas was one of the few states that wouldn't let kids in high school take advantage. If there are other states out there that do (maybe Washington), would it be possible to put together some money and let Malik Agbo know that we're a high brow establishment that likes to sponsor/interview (whatever the necessary conditions would be) elite high school offensive lineman that have verbally committed to UT "that are the future of the program" (or some fluffy bullshit). Obviously there's no guarantee that comes with paying him that money, but that's a crowdsourced bet I'm willing to take. 

55 minutes ago, texifornia said:

While a lot of that is "it's good they offered a good football player", it does break from the incipient IT narrative that Sark and his staff can be star whores at times instead of actually evaluating.

I just hope if we get a top 5 rated class it doesn't turn out like the 2019 class. 2019 we had the 247 #3 class, and from the top 10 rated recruits in that class we have 1 starter. I do believe this staff will evaluate and develop better than Herman.

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we are ever going to drop money bags and whatever we have available for it needs to start this weekend with OL.  Drop a fat stack for Green and Agbo.  Do the same for Dewberry, Campbell, and Neto.  Whatever it takes to get at least 3 of those guys.

If the rumors of Brocks and Damien George portaling end up being true let's hope they get here in January to go through spring practice.  

On top of that get a grad transfer or 2 as well.  All of the above may result in a high number for the OL room, but dead weight is hanging around that needs to be gone.  Its unreal guys like Johnson and Hookfin can't crack the 2-deep.  Ghirardelli had been passed up.  Merrill probably never plays a down here.  Fuckin Herb Hand.

So Kerstetter and Okafor were our best options and they’re both gone next year correct? We either run Jones/Karic and Majors out there again, which seems like a bad idea, or we completely overhaul the room like Beard. 

Is Parr any good? Does Garth still play football? There’s a lot questions and I’m not seeing any good answers. 

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we are ever going to drop money bags and whatever we have available for it needs to start this weekend with OL.  Drop a fat stack for Green and Agbo.  Do the same for Dewberry, Campbell, and Neto.  Whatever it takes to get at least 3 of those guys.

If the rumors of Brocks, Damien George, and Donovan Jackson portaling end up being true let's hope they get here in January to go through spring practice.  

On top of that get a grad transfer or 2 as well.  All of the above may result in a high number for the OL room, but dead weight is hanging around that needs to be gone.  Its unreal guys like Johnson and Hookfin can't crack the 2-deep.  Ghirardelli had been passed up.  Merrill probably never plays a down here.  Fuckin Herb Hand.

Maybe our cup runneth over?

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If the rumors of Brocks and Damien George portaling end up being true let's hope they get here in January to go through spring practice.  

i mean, is there any smoke to that or is it just wishful thinking? re: George + Brocks

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

So Kerstetter and Okafor were our best options and they’re both gone next year correct? We either run Jones/Karic and Majors out there again, which seems like a bad idea, or we completely overhaul the room like Beard. 

Is Parr any good? Does Garth still play football? There’s a lot questions and I’m not seeing any good answers. 

OL depth chart vs OU:

GJwlejGN

I think Majors will be fine.

Karic has exactly 2 starts under his belt.

Can't Beard up the OL room - what are you going to do, take like 4 transfers and give them a ton of PT? odds of that working out are worse than rolling into next year with Jones+Majors+Karic having a full year under their belt and getting better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Heck of a list. Our staff better have the team ready to go on Saturday.

I'll be shocked if we don't, especially at home. I'm a little worried about the impact from losing JWhitt, but we spread the ball around enough that even if they key on Bijan in the run game and X in the pass game, there will be good enough opportunities.

35 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

I just hope if we get a top 5 rated class it doesn't turn out like the 2019 class. 2019 we had the 247 #3 class, and from the top 10 rated recruits in that class we have 1 starter. I do believe this staff will evaluate and develop better than Herman.

I agree, but I also think we all said the same thing about Herman over Charlie. 

Spoiler

Here are the names we've confirmed

Official Visitors
Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (LA.)
Malik Agbo, OL, Federal Way (WA.) Todd Beamer
Earnest Greene, OL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
Quency Wiggins, DL, Baton Rouge (LA.) Madison Prep
Larry Turner-Gooden, S, Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany

Unofficial visitors
Arch Manning, QB, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman
Rueben Owens, RB, El Campo
Johntay Cook, WR, DeSoto
Will Randle, TE, New Orleans (LA.) Isidore Newman
Jalen Hale, WR, Longview
Markis Deal, OL, Garland Naaman Forest
Vernon Glover, CB, Dickinson
Carson Dean, LB, Lewisville Hebron
Isaiah Robinson, OL, Arlingotn Lamar
Mikal Harrison-Pilot, ATH, Temple
Anthony Hill, LB, Denton Ryan
Derrick McFall, RB, Tyler High
Anthony James, DL, Wylie East
Harris Sewell, OL, Odessa Permian
Cole Hutson, OL, Frisco
Connor Robertson, OL, Austin Westlake
Bryan Allen, S, Aledo
Jaden Allen, CB, Aledo
Derrick Brown, EDGE, Texarkana Texas High
Nigel Smith, DL, Melissa
Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn
TJ Shanahan, OL, Austin Westlake (maybe)
Jaleel Skinner, TE, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy (maybe)
Gibson Pyle, OL, Klein Cain
Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco Liberty

247 Visitor List
Stewart is one there. Need to ball out for those bolded names.

I ran in to derrick brown (texas high TXK) and he is per his words 100% in still.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Donovan Jackson and George have smoke.....

Sure, smoke, but a lot of potential transfers have had smoke and fallen through. 

He said at least 3 elite HS OL, almost none of whom we’re leading for, 3 transfers, plus a couple grad transfers.

If we got half that, it would be a massive OL haul. 

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I'll be shocked if we don't, especially at home. I'm a little worried about the impact from losing JWhitt, but we spread the ball around enough that even if they key on Bijan in the run game and X in the pass game, there will be good enough opportunities.

We are averaging 55.3 PPG at home. I like our chances even with Whittington out.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Donovan Jackson and Damieon George have smoke.....

Need has many bodies as we can throw at the position.

Losing Okafor, Imade, and Kerstetter after this season.

Ghirmai was a bad evaluation and take. Garth's injury has really set him back. while Hookfin can't stay healthy now. Johnson appears to be a bust and Parr and Merrill are JAGs.

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

OL depth chart vs OU:

GJwlejGN

I think Majors will be fine.

Karic has exactly 2 starts under his belt.

Can't Beard up the OL room - what are you going to do, take like 4 transfers and give them a ton of PT? odds of that working out are worse than rolling into next year with Jones+Majors+Karic having a full year under their belt and getting better.

Well, maybe. Going into next year with Jones and Karic as your tackles isn’t tenable. I can be sold on Majors, but taking a look at that depth chart is disturbing. 

Nahlin:

10 Most Important Recruits With Current Roster in Mind

Think of this as players who can help quickly address roster deficiencies. This is not 'best recruits.'

1. WR Evan Stewart, Liberty (Frisco, TX): Most of UT's issues aren't on offense but under the 'the best defense is a good offense' proviso, Stewart more positively affects UT's scoring margin next year than any other recruit.

2. OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX): Very high floor player. There are other linemen with higher ceilings but I'm most confident in Dewberry being a 10-year NFL vet and being able to play early.

3. DB Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo (Aledo, TX) - TEXAS: Early enrollee who has played a lot of football. Boundary safety will be open for competition in the spring.

4. EDGE Justice Finkley, Hewitt-Trussville (Trussville, AL) - TEXAS: Early enrollee, intelligent, and already possesses good play strength at the point of attack. Texas needs help at the position as soon as this Saturday.

5. DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX) - TEXAS A&M: UT is still in it despite last weekend making things more difficult. His versatility and field intelligence could get him on the field early.

6. OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): He's such a good athlete he'll be able to play early even if he's not technically sound.

7. CB Terrance Brooks, Little Elm (Little Elm, TX) - OHIO STATE: He'll be a difficult pull from the Buckeyes, but the door may crack open if Kerry Coombs is let go or resigns. You'll ask about Denver Harris and I'll say I want to see how he looks after returning from his knee injury.

8. DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA): Texas is competing against LSU and Texas A&M. Texas coaches have immediate playing time as a selling point.

9. EDGE Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas, NV) - TEXAS: Early enrollee who plays at a need position. Runs the arc better than other Jack candidates who are committed. I like him at tight end, too.

10. OL Earnest Greene, St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA): Difficult pull given the competition (Ohio State, Georgia), but Greene is likely leaving home for college. He's an early enrollee and a full-grown man who would compete at guard immediately. I'd have him above Campbell as a candidate to play early if I felt he was more likely. Let's see how his official visit goes this weekend.

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Well, maybe. Going into next year with Jones and Karic as your tackles isn’t tenable. I can be sold on Majors, but taking a look at that depth chart is disturbing. 

How fucked up does something have to be for a poster who named himself after Edgar Allan Poe to be distrubed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chad Simmons/On3

October is a big, important month for On300 offensive lineman Earnest Greene. The four-star out of Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco took his first official visit to Georgia last month, and Texas will host him this weekend, then Ohio State will have him on campus to close out the month.

Greene is a 6-foot-5, 330-pound versatile lineman that is ranked as the no. 13 interior offensive lineman in the country, and he is ready to see Austin again.

His first trip took place over the summer, and he is ready to get another look at the Longhorns.

“I had a good time on my first visit, and Austin really surprised me,” Greene said. “I liked the city, and it was a lot bigger than I thought. When I looked out, I saw some big buildings, and it reminded me a little of Los Angeles.

“I saw a lot when I was there, and there are new things I want to see this trip.”

Greene thinks highly of Texas OL coach Kyle Flood

The offensive line is something Greene will be focused on when Texas hosts Oklahoma State. He is high on the offensive line coach, so he expects to like what he sees.

“I really want to see how the offensive line plays in person. I really like coach (Kyle) Flood, I think he is one of the best offensive line coaches in the country, so I am excited to see him coach, and his players play.”

Sarkisian’s offense is impressive to Greene

Flood has been recruiting Greene since his sophomore year. That is when head coach Steve Sarkisian got involved too. Both were coaching at Alabama at that time.

The explosive offense Sarkisian coached at Alabama impressed Greene, and Texas is putting up big numbers this season too.

“Coach Sark has one of the most explosive offenses in the country. He is a great offensive mind that runs a great scheme. I love how explosive his offense is, and I am ready to see it live.

“His scheme gets players ready for the NFL, so I like that a lot.”

Greene in no rush to make a decision

He was hoping to be a little closer to his commitment, but the plan is to take at least four official visits first. Georgia is behind him and Texas and Ohio State are coming up this month.

Greene is not sure who he will visit after Ohio State. Clemson is one being considered. Oklahoma, Oregon, and USC are as well.

He is still going through the recruiting process and looking for the right school.

“I need to take these visits to make my decision when I am ready,” Greene said. “A great business school, player development, internships, nutrition programs, and coaches are things I am looking for.”

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We didn’t plan on coming out publicly with the SEC stuff until ESPN had their ducks more in a row. That includes both conference realignment (blowing up Big 12) and making tv contracts and schedules fit. I don’t know what those timelines were, but the information getting leaked destroyed those plans. Credit to John Sharp. He got us on that one. 

21 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Not on my eyes. I almost can't even read the text in dark mode.

Old eyes. Astigmatism. You know.

I was about to ask if it has to do with astigmatism, etc. I wear glasses, but my eyes aren't terrible, whereas my wife has very bad eyes, so dark mode for her is as you described. Just a theory 

That class is all sorts of considering the national ranking. Literally the only value we have from that class is rojo, Sweat (3*) and Jordan Whittington who cannot stay healthy for an entire season. Chris Adimora and Marcus Washington contribute, but neither have shown elite ability yet.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting