Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

I'll be shocked if we don't, especially at home. I'm a little worried about the impact from losing JWhitt, but we spread the ball around enough that even if they key on Bijan in the run game and X in the pass game, there will be good enough opportunities.

if by spread the ball around you mean pass it to worthy ... yeah

3 hours ago, Dummy said:

I know this topic has likely been discussed on the board, so apologies for bring up old shit, but I missed a bit on here this fall. 

Why couldn't we Burnt Ends our way to crowd-sourcing some high school OL recruits that aren't in-state? I know you can't make any NIL money contingent on them signing with us, but I thought Quinn left early so that he could get that $1MM endorsement deal of whatever because Texas was one of the few states that wouldn't let kids in high school take advantage. If there are other states out there that do (maybe Washington), would it be possible to put together some money and let Malik Agbo know that we're a high brow establishment that likes to sponsor/interview (whatever the necessary conditions would be) elite high school offensive lineman that have verbally committed to UT "that are the future of the program" (or some fluffy bullshit). Obviously there's no guarantee that comes with paying him that money, but that's a crowdsourced bet I'm willing to take. 

thats illegal af to do directly

2 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Not only that, but the fact that LSU fucking sucks and that Mike is claiming he can't give any hints/spoilers (since he's committed elsewhere)

He said it's someone committed elsewhere?

Could be the LSU guy. Could also be Early, Kelvin Banks, or Cam Williams.

Whatever it is, sounds like it's a decommitment but may not necessarily mean we're getting the guy. 

Just now, Tex-19 said:

He said it's someone committed elsewhere?

Could be the LSU guy. Could also be Early, Kelvin Banks, or Cam Williams.

Whatever it is, sounds like it's a decommitment but may not necessarily mean we're getting the guy. 

No, he said he can't expand on it, which typically hints to it being someone committed elsewhere.

Mike is an absolute pussy when it comes to making claims like this, so if he said it, it likely means something very good for the good guys. It could be any of the committed guys you mentioned, but if it actually fits his use of the word "massive," it's likely Banks, Will Campbell, or Williams. 

Will Campbell has been brought up before, and he is most likely to me based on the fact that we are recruiting Louisiana hard right now, LSU sucks (Oregon does not), and Cristobal coming to see Banks last weekend probably didn't help our chances with him. Doesn't mean it's him, that's just my two cents on the breakdown of it all.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ousux said:
10 minutes ago, RGBIII said:
thats illegal af to do directly

Not doubting you, but what organization is enforcing this "law?"

All of them. The NIL can not directly influence a recruitment of a high school player or player attending another school. That was my main deal with the Burnt Ends and ensuring it in perpetuity. I cant go to Skinner and says, sign here and you get 10k. Can Jeff Banks tell him "hey theres these burnt ends drunks that just give our kids 10k in perpetuity if you are enrolled here" absolutely he can. Jatavion Sanders can also say ya, I made 10k via xyz while recruits are visiting. But we cannot influence a recruitment nor can the coaching staff help connect us (Why we stay arms length from Jeff Banks).  Picking individual hs players is illegal.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Ewers can do that because he had an agent in Ohio that was able to negotiate things, where he couldnt in texas, and then he couldnt publicly announce the deal till he was enrolled in the school. I may be misremembering that one

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

Are we completely out of the running for Zach Rice? I vaguely remember people making the claim Flood could recruit the Atlantic because of his term at Rutgers but I also thought Rice passed on taking a visit to see us.

Had to google who that was: https://247sports.com/player/zach-rice-46086346/

Yeah, no one's said anything at all about him for months.

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

No, he said he can't expand on it, which typically hints to it being someone committed elsewhere.

Mike is an absolute pussy when it comes to making claims like this, so if he said it, it likely means something very good for the good guys. It could be any of the committed guys you mentioned, but if it actually fits his use of the word "massive," it's likely Banks, Will Campbell, or Williams. 

Will Campbell has been brought up before, and he is most likely to me based on the fact that we are recruiting Louisiana hard right now, LSU sucks (Oregon does not), and Cristobal coming to see Banks last weekend probably didn't help our chances with him. Doesn't mean it's him, that's just my two cents on the breakdown of it all.

Got it. Tbh it's probably something dumb like a '23 coming on a visit LOL. Or maybe a Josh Conerly visit?

On quick glance at Twitters, Will Campbell reaffirmed his LSU commit like a week ago and 2 weeks ago. Banks' twitter doesn't have much recent Oregon activity but Cristobal just visited on their bye (or maybe bc he was sweating it).

4 hours ago, NoName said:

OL depth chart vs OU:

GJwlejGN

I think Majors will be fine.

Karic has exactly 2 starts under his belt.

Can't Beard up the OL room - what are you going to do, take like 4 transfers and give them a ton of PT? odds of that working out are worse than rolling into next year with Jones+Majors+Karic having a full year under their belt and getting better.

Finding tackles that grade out higher than an 8 and a 6 on a scale of 100 shouldn't be too difficult. I am pretty sure we can find a large traffic cone that can do better. 

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Got it. Tbh it's probably something dumb like a '23 coming on a visit LOL. Or maybe a Josh Conerly visit?

On quick glance at Twitters, Will Campbell reaffirmed his LSU commit like a week ago and 2 weeks ago. Banks' twitter doesn't have much recent Oregon activity but Cristobal just visited on their bye (or maybe bc he was sweating it).

I've been waiting for Banks to realize Eugene in the summer is a hell of a lot different than Eugene during the school year. Misery index goes through the roof. Beautiful place to live for trolls. Beautiful place to visit for most everyone else.

I've been waiting for Banks to realize Eugene in the summer is a hell of a lot different than Eugene during the school year. Misery index goes through the roof. Beautiful place to live for trolls. Beautiful place to visit for most everyone else.
Care to expand on this? Admittedly my last visit to Oregon was in 2010, well before Portland went to shit, but even the smaller cities seemed pretty nice.

14 minutes ago, ousux said:
26 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Care to expand on this? Admittedly my last visit to Oregon was in 2010, well before Portland went to shit, but even the smaller cities seemed pretty nice.

Eugene sits at the bottom of the Willamette valley and gets a shit-ton of rain. Starting now until April it's clouds and rain most of the time. Month after month. A lot of that you're "socked-in," like you're living in a sock. It's fine for some people, and seriously beautiful. But if you grew up in Texas, it's a very big difference.

Eugene sits at the bottom of the Willamette valley and gets a shit-ton of rain. Starting now until April it's clouds and rain most of the time. Month after month. A lot of that you're "socked-in," like you're living in a sock. It's fine for some people, and seriously beautiful. But if you grew up in Texas, it's a very big difference.
That doesnt sound great, but some people arent made for central Texas heat and humidity either. In any case, not sure the weather is a huge factor in school choice unless its a southern kid contemplating Michigan, Minnesota etc..
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:
5 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

That doesnt sound great, but some people arent made for central Texas heat and humidity either. In any case, not sure the weather is a huge factor in school choice unless its a southern kid contemplating Michigan, Minnesota etc..

It's very different than seasonal weather, like Michigan and Minnesota. Nothing changes for eight months, the same wet-grey days over and over. People go batshit. But if you're a big fat lineman maybe you'd prefer less sweating. And outside of Eugene either way is the most beautiful landscape you'll ever see, world class bonkers. I just think any normal Texas kid is going to get homesick awfully quick in the PNW.

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Even if Banks decommits, what's to say he doesn't go to aggy?  Pretty sure Perroni had quotes of him saying it came down to Orgeon and aggy.  Or maybe after watching some games he saw how much the aggy offense is garbage.

This would totally be our luck. I thought the same thing. With that said, there's one thing Aggy and Oregon had in common that we didn't, and there are signs we may be improving on that front...

9 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

It's very different than seasonal weather, like Michigan and Minnesota. Nothing changes for eight months, the same wet-grey days over and over. People go batshit. But if you're a big fat lineman maybe you'd prefer less sweating. And outside of Eugene either way is the most beautiful landscape you'll ever see, world class bonkers. I just think any normal Texas kid is going to get homesick awfully quick in the PNW.

As a normal Texas kid who went to grad school at UO, let me just say the weed helps.

What I liked is that while it does rain a shit ton, it doesn’t really pour that often. Just a steady light drizzle. The weather definitely doesn’t stop the students from having a good time.

The non-UO students in Eugene really are batshit, but I don’t think it’s the weather’s fault.

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Can vouch.  Lived in the PNW for a bit and the grey drove me absolutely insane.  We're talking severe depression insane.  I had to bolt

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting