Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

The PNW is nice for a short visit but the heck with living there.

I like rainy overcast weather and that place is still too much for me.

Plus, their gun laws up there are worse than California's now..but hey they got weed......

I will say it is a fun place to visit and they can grow some beautiful roses and hydrangeas up there.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Wait.  So the big story Roach was working on is that some unpronounceable lineman who is mildly interested in us is going to his grandmas birthday party instead of visiting us?

Wouldn’t that be a huge step up from the interest we’ve received from OL the past few years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Wait.  So the big story Roach was working on is that some unpronounceable lineman who is mildly interested in us is going to his grandmas birthday party instead of visiting us?

This is what counts as positive news in OL recruiting, dude. 

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I was about to ask if it has to do with astigmatism, etc. I wear glasses, but my eyes aren't terrible, whereas my wife has very bad eyes, so dark mode for her is as you described. Just a theory 

I actually spoke with my opthalmologist about it, and she just shook her head and explained: Light mode isn't better for me because of astigmatism. Light mode is better for everyone, except for low-light conditions.

But some people love their dark mode dearly, so I just use that as my excuse.

(That said, I really do have trouble reading light text on a dark background.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The PNW discussion makes me want to drop everything and move there. I've lived in Houston or Austin all my life and I fucking hate the heat and humidity. 

Never go to Chennai. Makes Houston feel like a desert in the summer.

Edited by satyanash
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Probably not. It's probably the Will Campbell thing.

Also both Umeozulus would be great gets, so you might start working on the name.

Gerry - Jmond Tapp

When in search of the best person to talk to about Texas Longhorns commit J’Mond Tapp, there is not better source than his position coach.

Ascension Catholic’s first year defensive line coach Delmond Landry also happens to be Tapp’s brother. Landry is a former two-sport standout at Ascension Catholic, and was a starring defensive tackle at Southern Mississippi.

That made the decision to talk to Landry about the No. 175 ranked prospect in the country an easy one.

“It hasn’t been to tough coaching him,” Landry laughingly told On3. “He’s actually always come back to me asking me questions when I was playing college. On Sundays when I was off, I would go back and watch his film. It’s a new thing, but I have always been trying to teach him things I was being taught as a college player.”

There is one important message Landry is working to convey to his little brother. And that is the every snap mentality Tapp will need at the next level.

“Staying low, keeping that pad level where it needs to be and just having that mentality. What I’m trying to get strong in his mind is that mentality. That man across from you is trying to whoop you, so you have to have that certain mentality and use your technique. Coaches are going to help you technique, and he has the God given talent that can be developed.”

Should Tapp adopt the every snap mentality required at the next level, Landry believes his brother has the talent to be a difference maker.

“Star in the making, honestly. A different type of defensive lineman. He’s honestly the quickest defensive lineman I have seen in this state getting off the ball. He’s got everything naturally. Scrappy has just been out there playing naturally when he was younger in high school, and he had the gifts.”

When it comes to Tapp’s recruitment, Landry was not surprised he picked Texas.

“Honestly, I mean everything. He’s always said Texas was one of his dream schools. Growing up, he always did like Texas. As soon as he got that Texas offer, I figured he may lean that way. He decided that is where he wanted to be, and I wasn’t surprised.”

Landry sees a huge opportunity for Tapp at Texas.

“Honestly, I do feel like he will come into to Texas and have an impact. As long as he is coachable, sky is the limit for him. Texas needs some good edge guys, and he has the chance to be that.”

Texas Longhorns defensive line class

DL Kristopher Ross, Houston (Texas) North Shore

On300 ranking: No. 59

#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin (Texas)

On300 ranking: No. 70

#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Miss.)

On300 ranking: No. 216

#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Zac Swanson, Phoenix (Ariz.) Brophy College Prep

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE J’Mond Tapp, Donaldsville (La.) Ascension Catholic

On300 ranking: No. 175

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High

On300 ranking: No. 221

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Justice Finkley, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

On300 ranking: No. 285

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Anthony Jones, Henderson (Nv.) Liberty

#AllGasNoBrakes

Texas Longhorns top defensive line target remaining

DL Quency Wiggins, Baton Rouge (La.)

On300 ranking: No. 55

Official to Florida October 9, and Texas October 16. Alabama unofficial November 6. LSU will receive official at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Guys you know what college football recruits don’t care about? The weather and local economy in college towns. Why? Because they are not 40 year old dads. The JuSt WaIt TiLl JaNuArY. It the stupid fucking cope that this board has every time a recruit picks another school.

Yeah IMAGINE THINKING A KID WILL MAXIMIZE NIL IN TUSCALOOSA!

Gerry - 5 Recruiting Nugs

To go with your coffee, or Rice Krispies

Jaleel Skinner, TE, Greer (S.C.) IMG Academy
Inside Texas spoke with Skinner's mom this morning. The 5-star tight end and Alabama commit will be making a visit to Texas this weekend. Skinner will be accompanied by his father. Jeff Banks has done a very good job with the father in this recruitment, and obviously isn't giving up.

"Jaleel and his father are following through on a visit to Texas. They had been planning it, and told Texas they would make it," Said Skinner's mother.

Quency Wiggins, DL, Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep
On300 No. 55
Wiggins will make the trip to Texas with the person closest to him, which also happens to be the head basketball coach at Madison Prep. Coach Jeff Jones is a huge Chris Beard fan, so he will be in the basketball gym as well as the football meetings. Coach Jones was born in Austin, and has family living in the Austin area. Wiggins was blown away by the visit to Florida. The Gators set a high bar. Texas will get their chance to do the same this weekend. LSU would be my pick for Wiggins, but being down here in the Pelican State this week ... there are so many questions about the future of the LSU program. The LSU AD must get the hire correct. The Alabama unofficial visit November 6 will be key. IT was told Wednesday night that Alabama does want the 6-foot-6, 270-pounder with an 85-inch wingspan. There are two people very close to Wiggins that help him with the process, both at Madison Prep. They know Wiggins can fit into a three man front, but 4i is not first on the list. A new LSU coach with a four man front would become tough to beat based on conversations. With that said, Texas has a real shot here due to the questions around the LSU program currently. Timing will be some very important for those recruiting against LSU in the Pelican State in the 2022 cycle. Wiggins wants to major in business, and enjoyed his visit to Texas in June.

J'Mond Tapp, EDGE, Donaldsonville (La.) Ascension Catholic
On300 No. 175
#AllGasNoBrakes
In speaking with a couple of people at Ascension Catholic Wednesday, Texas is in a very good spot to win out over LSU for the 6-foot-3, 245-pounder with elite feet and agility. Tapp will likely be on campus for another LSU game this season, but the same applies to Tapp as Wiggins above in regard to the Tigers currently. The one Texas has to watch is Alabama. There is the possibility Tapp visit Alabama in early December. If that happens, then the Crimson Tide decided to make a push. Right now, that trip is not a lock. The opportunity at Texas at the EDGE position is key for Tapp, and family. One family member prefers LSU. Tapp would prefer to get away for college.

Shazz Preston, WR, Saint James (La.)
On300 No. 101
Georgia is considered by a couple of people the front runner for the 4-star receiver. But the Bulldogs may prefer On300 Luther Burden over Preston. Alabama, LSU and Texas round out the top four.

Texas still evaluating 2022 LB's
The Longhorns staff is still evaluating 2022 linebacker prospects with one very much on the radar in the Deep South. This prospect is athletic, rangy and well coached. IT will have more on this linebacker should the recruitment go from interest to moving towards an offer.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry - Jmond Tapp

When in search of the best person to talk to about Texas Longhorns commit J’Mond Tapp, there is not better source than his position coach.

Ascension Catholic’s first year defensive line coach Delmond Landry also happens to be Tapp’s brother. Landry is a former two-sport standout at Ascension Catholic, and was a starring defensive tackle at Southern Mississippi.

That made the decision to talk to Landry about the No. 175 ranked prospect in the country an easy one.

“It hasn’t been to tough coaching him,” Landry laughingly told On3. “He’s actually always come back to me asking me questions when I was playing college. On Sundays when I was off, I would go back and watch his film. It’s a new thing, but I have always been trying to teach him things I was being taught as a college player.”

There is one important message Landry is working to convey to his little brother. And that is the every snap mentality Tapp will need at the next level.

“Staying low, keeping that pad level where it needs to be and just having that mentality. What I’m trying to get strong in his mind is that mentality. That man across from you is trying to whoop you, so you have to have that certain mentality and use your technique. Coaches are going to help you technique, and he has the God given talent that can be developed.”

Should Tapp adopt the every snap mentality required at the next level, Landry believes his brother has the talent to be a difference maker.

“Star in the making, honestly. A different type of defensive lineman. He’s honestly the quickest defensive lineman I have seen in this state getting off the ball. He’s got everything naturally. Scrappy has just been out there playing naturally when he was younger in high school, and he had the gifts.”

When it comes to Tapp’s recruitment, Landry was not surprised he picked Texas.

“Honestly, I mean everything. He’s always said Texas was one of his dream schools. Growing up, he always did like Texas. As soon as he got that Texas offer, I figured he may lean that way. He decided that is where he wanted to be, and I wasn’t surprised.”

Landry sees a huge opportunity for Tapp at Texas.

“Honestly, I do feel like he will come into to Texas and have an impact. As long as he is coachable, sky is the limit for him. Texas needs some good edge guys, and he has the chance to be that.”

Texas Longhorns defensive line class

DL Kristopher Ross, Houston (Texas) North Shore

On300 ranking: No. 59

#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin (Texas)

On300 ranking: No. 70

#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Miss.)

On300 ranking: No. 216

#AllGasNoBrakes

DL Zac Swanson, Phoenix (Ariz.) Brophy College Prep

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE J’Mond Tapp, Donaldsville (La.) Ascension Catholic

On300 ranking: No. 175

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High

On300 ranking: No. 221

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Justice Finkley, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

On300 ranking: No. 285

#AllGasNoBrakes

EDGE Anthony Jones, Henderson (Nv.) Liberty

#AllGasNoBrakes

Texas Longhorns top defensive line target remaining

DL Quency Wiggins, Baton Rouge (La.)

On300 ranking: No. 55

Official to Florida October 9, and Texas October 16. Alabama unofficial November 6. LSU will receive official at some point.

dang, didn't realize you guys have 8 guys on DL already committed, plus going for at least one more. I guess guys on campus aren't as good and are portaling. Looks like from the list, A&M was interested in Bledsoe the most, and also in Bryant.  I remember someone here making fun of A&M's early interest and offer to Bledsoe last year when he was an unknown. "Bread" might have been used as a descriptor. He might be the most important cog in your DL class, after being considered an OU lean. Congrats on landing him!

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

dang, didn't realize you guys have 8 guys on DL already committed, plus going for at least one more. I guess guys on campus aren't as good and are portaling. Looks like from the list, A&M was interested in Bledsoe the most, and also in Bryant.  I remember someone here making fun of A&M's early interest and offer to Bledsoe last year when he was an unknown. "Bread" might have been used as a descriptor. He might be the most important cog in your DL class, after being considered an OU lean. Congrats on landing him!

Quite kind of you. Best wishes. 

3 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Our EDGE depth chart is a sad joke, and we're losing Coburn and maybe Ojomo. We have to flip the whole line except Sweat and Collins.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Our EDGE depth chart is a sad joke, and we're losing Coburn and maybe Ojomo. We have to flip the whole line except Sweat and Collins.

I think Coburn is a redshirt junior right? Unless he's turning pro in Physical Culture and Sport, I assume he would be back next year, no doubt in the same spectacular shape. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I think Coburn is a redshirt junior right? Unless he's turning pro in Physical Culture and Sport, I assume he would be back next year, no doubt in the same spectacular shape. 

Ah, that is fair. And Murphy and Sorrell look useful. But we could still use a serious talent infusion.

13 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I had very little confidence we would hold onto Tapp. Love that update. Wiggins is a major need. We will see but I really want to get back in the Bear Alexander hunt. Big game tag on that one but I think he's worth it. 

Bear Alexander has bust written all over him. I'd prefer to watch him go anywhere else and transfer out within two semesters.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I had very little confidence we would hold onto Tapp. Love that update. Wiggins is a major need. We will see but I really want to get back in the Bear Alexander hunt. Big game tag on that one but I think he's worth it. 

I'd much rather use that big game tag on Stewart, Harris or Devon Campbell. Even if it means doubling down on them.

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

You can get Bear after he transfers 3 times to a Juco.

12 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Minus FCHorn Ft. Collins is the tits. Perfect sized college town. It's everything Austin thinks it once was. Ten minutes to the front range.

#3 went to school there.  It's awesome,  early Austin 80s vibe.  Four points of warning:  1) the drive from Denver airport is like Houston construction bad, 2) Local mexican food is terrible,  3) real estate is pricey, and 4) their football team is the suck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TheAuditor said:

#3 went to school there.  It's awesome,  early Austin 80s vibe.  Four points of warning:  1) the drive from Denver airport is like Houston construction bad, 2) Local mexican food is terrible,  3) real estate is pricey, and 4) their football team is the suck. 

The drive from the Denver airport is a mess. That’s the biggest downside. Real estate is a direct reflection of the quality of living. You show me a place with cheap real estate and tell me how badly you want to live there. The food scene has improved over the last ten years as more people have moved here. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting