Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Marcus Washington to center 

I'm really rooting for this kid. He was oh so close to making one of the biggest plays of the season when he became a burnt orange Gumby on that pylon snag. His landing just a few inches OOB and Mims being a few inches in basically decided the game.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 hours ago, crash_davis said:

It was a great game. Sucks we lost but recruits have to like what they see. It's Sarks first year. Recruit know that. We are building something special. They want to be a part of it.

Fuck all you pussies thinking this is Strong or Herman. 

Imagine watching this game and saying Sark = Herman 

Angry Brooklyn Nine Nine GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm really rooting for this kid. He was oh so close to making one of the biggest plays of the season when he became a burnt orange Gumby on that pylon snag. His landing just a few inches OOB and Mims being a few inches in basically decided the game.
Inches? More like a cunthair for both, but Washington was doing a pirouette in the air to attempt his toe tap. Almost got it, and he will in future games.

20 minutes ago, ousux said:

Inches? More like a cunthair for both, but Washington was doing a pirouette in the air to attempt his toe tap. Almost got it, and he will in future games.

I wish we would deploy K Robinson into the slot a bit. Washington won't scare any teams with his speed and without that threat teams can double Moore and Worthy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I wish we would deploy K Robinson into the slot a bit. Washington won't scare any teams with his speed and without that threat teams can double Moore and Worthy.

If Whittington is out for the rest of the year, then we definitely need to get the RB’s and TE’s more involved in the passing game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Alabama had moved him into the slot. I believe that was part of why he transferred.

If the alternative is his current 1 or 2 offensive snaps/gm in competitive contests he might be a little more amenable to a little time in the slot

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 1

I haven't heard anything more on #4's status. But if he's going to miss much field time at all, #7 seems the logical replacement. Even if he prefers RB, hopefully he's be enough of a team guy to help pick up some slack elsewhere. Common sense says a guy busting it on special teams would be willing to do that, especially with two healthy RBs ahead of him. 

When was the last time Texas had a good defense. Was it Charlie’s first year? Quandres last year.

Anyway we need all the defensive players not worried about offense with sark. Yes we need OL but The defense man. I like the brock bro but no way should he be starting. We haven’t had a good LB since?

Last year wasn’t bad. 2017 was nationally elite

I wonder if Sarkisian fails to realize that the quick strike offense, while exciting and absolutely essential at times, is nullified by the defense staying on the field for way too long. Time of possession is certainly not everything and I certainly don't advocating going full Jimbo snapping the ball with less than a second on the play clock (probably couldn't even do that because our OL doesn't focus and would likely be penalized), but it must be taken into account. 

It’s not like they scored quick by going out there and throwing four verts all day. First half offensive TDs included a 75 yard screen pass, a two play drive starting from the two yard line, a three play drive starting at midfield, a six play drive, and a two yard TD set up by a 50 yard Bijan run. I understand the frustration of watching the defense get tired because it was very evident in the first half that OU would be able to exploit it, but unless you want them to coach guys to just fall down on the field and leave points on the field there isn’t a whole lot else you can ask for.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It’s not like they scored quick by going out there and throwing four verts all day. First half offensive TDs included a 75 yard screen pass, a two play drive starting from the two yard line, a three play drive starting at midfield, a six play drive, and a two yard TD set up by a 50 yard Bijan run. I understand the frustration of watching the defense get tired because it was very evident in the first half that OU would be able to exploit it, but unless you want them to coach guys to just fall down on the field and leave points on the field there isn’t a whole lot else you can ask for.

fall down on the field to slow play.....why does that sound familiar?

If someone told you before the season that we'd be 4-2 at this point with a last second loss to OU, would you have been doom and gloom about it? Nope. The way we lost yesterday sucked, but taking a step back, the overall results for Sark's first year so far are no disaster. It always takes coaches a couple years to really enact change and make big improvements. The offense is good and is gonna crush it once the personnel improves. Defense is a question mark. Patience required all around.
As far as near-term recruiting is concerned, this weekend probably still helped us with Evan Stewart and and other WRs. Arch probably likes what he saw. Maybe bad for Devon Campbell but idk. The only 22s we're really competing with Aggy for now are Perkins and flipping Bryce (both probably lost causes now unless Aggy reverts back to previous form) so their win doesn't hurt us that much in '22. It does hurt for '23, but that's where the Arch effect could be the great equalizer. Absolutely have to land him.
Bottom line - Our '22 class is gonna be good. If we land Arch, '23 will be elite. If we get some good portal OLs and WRs, our offense is gonna be unstoppable the next several years and we're gonna win a lot of games. Once we show those wins, this program will take off. Trust the process.

The context of the 4-2 matters. If you told me Texas would get embarrassed by Arkansas and execute the biggest choke job in program history, while having the one of the worst defenses in power 5 football and program history, yeah, I’d probably have a bone to pick

The good thing is that single game outcomes C rarely have a huge impact on recruiting. But if you let it beat you twice and take the L this weekend, the narrative starts to change, the season starts to slip away, and recruiting, which is probably the single most important thing right now, will start to feel the impact
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 4

Good lord you people have no sense of perspective. 

The better team won.  When you jump out on a team early that has you beat in pretty much every position talent and experience wise it isn't a choke job when they make the plays to win.

Seriously I hate that we lost but yesterday was neither humiliating or a choke job.

• Hook 'Em 6

Rational posts like this have no place on this thread. Take this shit to the cloakroom.

Sincerely,
Satya

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

anybody have this?

Nick at Nite

Spoiler

The Red River Showdown could not have gotten off to a better start than it did for Texas yesterday after the Longhorns raced out to a 28-7 lead. It was at that point that I was exchanging messages with a high-priority offensive recruit's parent who was loving everything they saw from the skill position players, even down to the offensive line.

The recruiting momentum under Steve Sarkisian had never been higher than it was at halftime yesterday, but then the rest of the day happened.

Texas suffered a meltdown at the hands of an impressive second half approach from Oklahoma defensive coordinator Alex Grinch and a historically heroic performance from true freshman quarterback Caleb Williams. Then later on in the day, Texas A&M pulled off the upset of the year so far in knocking off Alabama on their home turf in front of a large group of recruits, many of which who Texas is also going after.

So after everything that could've possibly gone right went wrong after halftime yesterday, where are recruits' head at today after sleeping on a busy day of football in the state of Texas?

If you were an offensive recruit watching Texas yesterday, there were a ton of positives to draw from the Longhorns' showing, especially at the receiver position.

Xavier Worthy exploded for a record-breaking Red River performance, and the multiple receivers in the crowd took notice. Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus 2023 four-star wide receiver Ashton Cozart applauded both teams' ability to find their playmakers.

"Offensively, there is a lot to like with both teams if you are a WR," Cozart said. "Both coaches are the best at what they do, hands down. If you can play, they both have the schemes to set up for success. Seems everyone is always wide open on both sides at any given time."

I also caught up with four-star safety commit Bryan Allen Jr. who spent the entire day at the Cotton Bowl recruiting uncommitted prospects.

"Xavier Worthy is selling it by his play," he said. "He's a true freshman balling. You can see what Texas is doing, they just need more depth at some positions. Real dogs want to be a part of changing a culture."

Allen's comments echo some of the conversations he had with recruits during and after the game yesterday, and that paired with those that I talked to today feel that Texas is performing better than expected coming into the season, especially on the offensive side of the ball. When it comes to recruiting the offense, the momentum is still strong.

However, on the defensive side of the ball, a pitch to play early and shine on a defense as a freshman may be the only selling point left.

It's not a terrible one, though. If you look at guys like Harold Perkins and Denver Harris, one of their biggest priorities is playing early, and Texas has certainly showed that they are capable of providing those services.

However, the position group that I would continue to be concerned with recruiting on the defensive side of the ball is the cornerback group. Until Texas can show some development in defending the deep ball, I feel the ONLY thing to pitch would be early playing time, which may not be enough.

Looking at Texas' chief recruiting rival in 2022 and 2023, Texas A&M got a much-needed boost yesterday in its recruiting efforts. The win over the No. 1 team in the country shows recruits that the Aggie program is on track to becoming a legit SEC contender, even if they're not quite there yet.

However, let me direct your thoughts to preseason expectations that both programs were presenting. Texas expressed that there was a legit chance to win the conference behind an electric offense and an improving defense under a first-year head coach. Texas A&M had SEC title hopes and a playoff berth in heavy rotation during recruiting conversations. One of those expectations are still on the table, the other is not.

With that, Texas still remains in a solid position to win some key recruiting battles down the stretch, but they will have to quickly re-focus their attention on Oklahoma State who is chomping at the bit to knock off their conference rival on the road after a week off.

To conclude, the sky is indeed not falling. There are a lot of goals left for this team to accomplish, and this team has not underwhelmed recruits at all to this point. The pressure to win next week is on, and with that will come more momentum or disappointment once again.

Edited by Dummy
Formatting
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I would say this there were about 6-7 guys that balled out.  Unfortunately 15 others got owned.   

Thompson, Worthy, Bijan, Overshown, Dicker, Cook

My hope is these don’t start pointing fingers at the loafers.

I mean good grief Thompson had 5 TDS no int, sole texas QB with that feat among 3 Heisman OU QBs,

and Worthy I mean this dudes 165 lb freshman.  What about when he’s 185-190 junior prepping for the draft. 

Bijan is doing Bijan things.  Bijan rugs on Anderson lane needs a spokesperson.

Sark did have a stroke in the third quarter I mean why the fuck don’t you do more RPO with Bijan, Thompson, and either TE or slot.  And fucks sake stop trying to run inside zone with this o-line.

But this is squarely on PK for not prepping for fucking OU counter and RPO I mean fuck sake.  Make it simple for these guys.  They’re not rocket surgeons.

Where’s Greg Robinson these days.  Salvaged Diaz’s bullshit into a defense that didn’t lose you games almost overnight by simplifying shit.  Kinda like Ash last year.

Little margin for error now gotta take care of business this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I know Michigan fans are kinda happy at the moment, but, holy shit they still gotta be pissed they fucked up with this player.  He looks like a future Heisman candidate. 

I don’t remember the play, but I think it was his first game, his toughness was what got me excited. Not the fake barking behind the fence toughness we see from so many players. This young man is showing an alpha-like attitude displayed by experienced versions of LJH and Duvernay, just to name some recent impact WRs. Give me more of those.

I’m excited to see Worthy develop.

13 hours ago, T-dog said:
13 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:
Couldn’t we have challenged? Is that not a thing anymore? Do we not have a load of people watching the game in the booth telling when to challenge or call a timeout at least?

Holding is not reviewable

I think he was referring to these parts of ousux’s post::

“The gooner reciever stepped out of bounds on his ownthen came back to make the catch and keep the scoring drive alive..otherwise it's a punt. Can't believe the stupid fucking zebras didnt review Williams fumble that we recovered, he didnt get the throw off at all. Exact same scenario is routinely called a fumble in games across the country..we even had it go against us in the arky game.”

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, RabidM said:

I know Michigan fans are kinda happy at the moment, but, holy shit they still gotta be pissed they fucked up with this player.  He looks like a future Heisman candidate. 

I never followed this story of the flip. Anyone got cliffs?  Who do I send a cake to for fucking this Up

37 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I never followed this story of the flip. Anyone got cliffs?  Who do I send a cake to for fucking this Up

Michigan's admissions wouldn't allow him to enroll in January because they didn't want to accept an online class he had taken. It pissed Worthy off and he asked out of his NIL. Sark had recruited him at Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good lord you people have no sense of perspective. 

The better team won.  When you jump out on a team early that has you beat in pretty much every position talent and experience wise it isn't a choke job when they make the plays to win.

Seriously I hate that we lost but yesterday was neither humiliating or a choke job.

It was absolutely an embarrassment and a choke job. It’s also not a death sentence for the season or recruiting this cycle. Both of those things can be true at the same time, and they are here.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting