Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That post has a very “I’m not a racist, but...” quality to it. Nobody is teaching anyone to feel like victims other than white people who don’t want to acknowledge the history of racism in our country and who think that reverse racism is worse than actual racism. And who feel victimized by having to face reality. History happened. If you think that teaching history, you know, the shit that happened in the past, makes you feel victimized, then you should maybe consider the possibility that you’re a racist. The minorities who are victimized get taught but they learn it by experiencing it firsthand. It’s kind of hard to blame black folks for not trusting white folks. Especially when those white folks are wearing a police uniform (or holding a political office, or running a bank, or selling houses, or hiring white collar jobs, etc.)

I understand how the white majority have victimized minorities in this country. I didn’t take part in it and I feel no personal guilt about it. People who claim “They’re teaching white guilt!” are fucking morons. And probably racists. Nobody is doing that. Again, shit that happened in the past happened and there’s nothing wrong with talking about it. If it makes you uncomfortable then that’s your problem.

Get over it already. There’s only one race, the human race, and we’re all the same. Most of us are assholes. We can occasionally be astonishing in our brilliance, and often just as astonishing in our stupidity. I grew up in two tiny lily-white rural towns and it took me awhile to get over my ignorance and I treasure my exposure to the diversity at my school, and at work, and in my community, that made me realize that superficial differences just don’t fucking matter.

In the course of learning not to care about “race,” I’ve made some mistakes in my language due to my ignorance. But I learned and got over it. For a lot of people, including family members and other people I know, it starts with ignorance. They just don’t know any better. That’s why I’m always beating the drum about Ignorance -> Fear -> Intolerance-> Hate. Each follows from the other. I shouldn’t have to add that violence is a consequence of hate. And I could throw “Suspicion” in there after “Fear.” But I don’t think those are really necessary to illustrate the concept.

People are people. We’re all the same. I don’t know if we’ll ever get to a point where everyone gets that but I think it starts with people not being afraid to discuss the fact that people all over the world have been pretty shitty to other people over superficial and trivial differences for as long as we’ve been people. E pluribus unum” means “Out of many, one.” Why don’t we talk about that more than “In God we trust?” We should. And whatever happened to the Golden Rule?

And yeah, let’s get all the people working in oil and gas and coal to learn coding skills. Easy peasy. JFC.

Also, pics of daughter?

There's a lot of good points in your post and I enjoyed learning about your story.

I certainly never claimed in my post that I wasn't racist. As a Hispanic American, I had a typically racist childhood — mostly by my Hispanic grandparents who were the most racist people you would ever meet and hated Black people more than you could ever image. We grew up in a mostly White, typically redneck part of San Antonio and everyone, including me was, well, a racist. When our White school played Black schools in sports, the racist stuff would fly in both directions. It's called the 70's in Texas.

I am not talking about teaching White kids that they grew up in a hopelessly racist society and they should feel guilty. We should acknowledge it, of course, but I prefer students, especially people of color, should focus on getting as many skills as they can in school. My daughter's program at her university (go Duke Blue Devils—just saying), is doing an AMAZING job of helping students of color at middle and high schools. They're teaching them coding. These students are getting a kick-start in how to make something of themselves and it's working really, really well! If I had my choice, I would eliminate history and social studies programs entirely and make education more like a trade school.

I'm sure I harbor many racist views, but I am proud to say that I own a large and growing media platform and I use it to promote the businesses owned by people of color for no cost. We charge the White folks. 

Sorry, no pics of her or her roommates, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fuggled said:

Not saying you don't have a valid point here, but could you give some examples of the things we should try to stop teaching?  Maybe clarify the "we" also. Are you referring to teachers, parents, politicians, celebrities?

Thanks. We is the people of Texas. 

IMHO, here are two things that we should replace with STEM and trade classes in the state of Texas:

History
Social Studies

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

IMHO, here are two things that we should replace with STEM and trade classes in the state of Texas:

History
Social Studies

Thanks for clarifying. Just so I'm understanding, you think we should eliminate all history and social studies from public education?  No geography, no 3 branches of government, no bicameral legislature, no Constitution, no Revolutionary War, no Alamo, no Civil War, no Holocaust, no Vietnam, no Cold War, no space race, no MLK, no Kennedy, no 9/11?  Is this what you're saying?  Could you explain why you think that's a good idea?

25 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

History
Social Studies

Really? We do such a poor job of teaching those 2 topics as it is. Also I work in tech. Teaching folks how to code is not the panacea many imagine it to be. Recruiting, hiring, and career advancement biases will still rear its ugly head more often than not… at this moment. There’s been slow and steady improvements but I would not eliminate history/social studies just to have more STEM courses.

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 3

Really? We do such a poor job of teaching those 2 topics as it is. 
So why keep trying? I mean, what's the use of a class that teaches critical thinking when we can have another class that teaches... coding. Coding is going to cure all the world's ills.

I bet he doesn't even realize that his post proves the need for better social studies education.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, tchookem said:

So why keep trying? I mean, what's the use of a class that teaches critical thinking when we can have another class that teaches... coding. Coding is going to cure all the world's ills.

I bet he doesn't even realize that his post proves the need for better social studies education.

I wonder if his daughter is like the typical Duke student I’ve interacted with… IF so then I’m having a hard time imagining she would agree with his opinion. Especially if she’s in a program that’s meant to help kids/society. Cause Durham despite the growth the last decade… that is one blighted town of haves and have nots. The public education system even in that town is horrible but like anywhere that’s more on the state.

Edited by YChang

I wonder if his daughter is like the typical Duke student I’ve interacted with… IF so then I’m having a hard time imagining she would agree with his opinion. Especially if she’s in a program that’s meant to help kids/society. Cause Durham despite the growth the last decade… that is one blighted town of haves and have nots. The public education system even in that town is horrible but like anywhere that’s more on the state.
I'm guessing that he's very proud of his daughter (as he should be). I'm also guessing that that pride is leading him to believe that what she's doing is THE most important endeavor in mankind's history... it's a sin every parent is guilty of.

That, and a steady diet of right-wing anti-intellectualism, has gotten him to a place that he feels comfortable saying we don't need no social studies.

The answer of course, is that we do need social studies, and coding, and everything else to be taught. We need to overhaul to how we educate. We wouldn't even have to reinvent that wheel. Lots of other countries do a better job at all the things we want to improve. Unfortunately, what we're going to get is this: stop doing this, do more of that.

More unfortunately, the "that" is profit driven. I've said it earlier in this discussion... none of this seemed to be a problem until one of the sides decided to start funneling tax money into for-profit education.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fuggled said:

Thanks for clarifying. Just so I'm understanding, you think we should eliminate all history and social studies from public education?  No geography, no 3 branches of government, no bicameral legislature, no Constitution, no Revolutionary War, no Alamo, no Civil War, no Holocaust, no Vietnam, no Cold War, no space race, no MLK, no Kennedy, no 9/11?  Is this what you're saying?  Could you explain why you think that's a good idea?

Yes. The urban public school systems are hopelessly underfunded, the teachers are overwhelmed and there is a lot failure in their programs. There isn't a lot of time for actual learning. In these areas, I believe that we should move to a more practical approach with an emphasis on STEM and and trade programs.  If I'm a poor, disenfranchised youth in the city, how on earth is learning about the Ho Chi Min Trail going to help me join society in a meaningful way? 

1 hour ago, tchookem said:

I'm guessing that he's very proud of his daughter (as he should be). I'm also guessing that that pride is leading him to believe that what she's doing is THE most important endeavor in mankind's history... it's a sin every parent is guilty of.

That, and a steady diet of right-wing anti-intellectualism, has gotten him to a place that he feels comfortable saying we don't need no social studies.

The answer of course, is that we do need social studies, and coding, and everything else to be taught. We need to overhaul to how we educate. We wouldn't even have to reinvent that wheel. Lots of other countries do a better job at all the things we want to improve. Unfortunately, what we're going to get is this: stop doing this, do more of that.

More unfortunately, the "that" is profit driven. I've said it earlier in this discussion... none of this seemed to be a problem until one of the sides decided to start funneling tax money into for-profit education.

Right-wing anti-intellectualism, lol. My business supports and grows local businesses across Central Texas and now Houston. We go out-of-our-way to help business owners who are people of color to promote their businesses for free, but thanks for the label.  

Daughter is heading to NYC after school to work in finance. Her starting salary, for a 22 year old, will be north of 100K. You're damn right I'm proud of you.   

Public eduction in urban areas is set up to fail. I would prefer a program based on STEM and trade school programs exclusively. 

1 hour ago, YChang said:

My daughter and her friends are very progressive. Agree that parts of the city need lots of help. Hence, their program is helping give young people of color a chance. I think it's great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Public eduction in urban areas is set up to fail. I would prefer a program based on STEM and trade school programs exclusively. 

That's the dumbest idea regarding public education I've heard in years.  Congratulations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YChang said:

Really? We do such a poor job of teaching those 2 topics as it is. Also I work in tech. Teaching folks how to code is not the panacea many imagine it to be. Recruiting, hiring, and career advancement biases will still rear its ugly head more often than not… at this moment. There’s been slow and steady improvements but I would not eliminate history/social studies just to have more STEM courses.

You did see I wrote STEM and trade-school programs.  

Yes.

There's all the response I need to know you're not a person worth taking seriously in a discussion about education. Thank you for identifying yourself quickly. Congrats on your daughter's success.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tchookem said:

There's all the response I need to know you're not a person with taking seriously in a discussion about education. Thank you fir identifying yourself quickly. Congrats on your daughter's success.

Thanks about daughter.

I don't work in education, so I'm not exactly an expert. However, I know enough that what we are currently doing isn't working and the typical "throw money at the problem but keep doing the same thing" isn't working. My solution is to focus on helping people acquire the tools to give them a chance, like STEM, vocational, etc.

We are currently doing the things people are defending in this thread and it really isn't working. 

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

Thanks about daughter.

I don't work in education, so I'm not exactly an expert. However, I know enough that what we are currently doing isn't working and the typical "throw money at the problem but keep doing the same thing" isn't working. My solution is to focus on helping people acquire the tools to give them a chance, like STEM, vocational, etc.

We are currently doing the things people are defending in this thread and it really isn't working. 

I get the sentiment, but ultimately we’re short changing the person as a well-rounded individual both at their place of employment and as part of society. Can’t tell you how many software engineers I’ve met that’s burnt out from coding in the valley. Fwiw, check out what the New School in NY is doing with integrating STEM subjects with liberal arts topics. I think they can be a model to study and  iterate on!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, YChang said:

I get the sentiment, but ultimately we’re short changing the person as a well-rounded individual both at their place of employment and as part of society. Can’t tell you how many software engineers I’ve met that’s burnt out from coding in the valley. Fwiw, check out what the New School in NY is doing with integrating STEM subjects with liberal arts topics. I think they can be a model to study and  iterate on!

Thanks for actually posting useful information, rather than just resorting to name-calling and insulting people. Sounds like a great program and I hope it works. 

In my opinion, it's virtually impossible to emerge from our inner-city schools as a well-rounded person. Just graduating is a challenge for a lot of people. That's why I think we should direct the very limited time they have for learning. Regardless, thanks.   

8 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Are we going to ignore the fact that a person with a username from a historic site is advocating that we stop teaching.... history?

I mean this is the simulation fucking with us, right?

To take it a step further, I actually wrote a book about history that has 4.5 stars on Amazon, lol. Not joking. 

22 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

If I'm a poor, disenfranchised youth in the city, how on earth is learning about the Ho Chi Min Trail going to help me join society in a meaningful way? 

It’s history, for one thing. And, through abstraction, it teaches problem solving. And a method by which the weak can defeat the strong. If you want to join society in a meaningful way, it would help not to be ignorant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Yes, let's keep doing exactly what doesn't work. Maybe it will work this time. 

Your "solution" doesn't address the problem.  A broad curriculum is a feature, not a bug.  There is nothing wrong with a kid focusing on STEM or a trade as they enter adulthood, but the idea of eliminating all coursework in history, literature, economics, the arts, social sciences, etc. is just mind-blowingly stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Thanks about daughter.

The humanities and liberal arts must be a part of the solution, unless, of course, you don't want people to learn how to think critically and question the world around them.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The humanities and liberal arts must be a part of the solution education, unless, of course, you don't want people to learn how to think critically and question the world around them.

that was literally explicitly spelled out in the official Texas republican platform a few years ago, along with not supporting 'higher order thinking'.

i mean that pretty much explains everything about why we are where we are 😕

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

that was literally explicitly spelled out in the official Texas republican platform a few years ago, along with not supporting 'higher order thinking'.
i mean that pretty much explains everything about why we are where we are
It's the same mindset that says Texas public education is broken, but ignores that Republicans have controlled Texas public education our entire adult lives. So of course that means we should do what the Republicans want with public education.

There are plenty of places liberals miss the mark on public education, but keeping kids unequipped to think is completely a conservative phenomenon.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, tchookem said:

Are we going to ignore the fact that a person with a username from a historic site is advocating that we stop teaching.... history?

I mean this is the simulation fucking with us, right?

Well, “to take it a step further” he’s basically saying Black and Brown kids don’t need to learn their history in this country and don’t bother going to a college like UT and instead just learn a trade because that’s the only thing you’re good for while simultaneously stereotyping all urban public schools in America.

Did I get everything?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well, “to take it a step further” he’s basically saying Black and Brown kids don’t need to learn their history in this country and don’t bother going to a college like UT and instead just learn a trade because that’s the only thing you’re good for while simultaneously stereotyping all urban public schools in America.

Did I get everything?

Pretty much.  But, he wrote a history book that you can buy on Amazon.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The humanities and liberal arts must be a part of the solution, unless, of course, you don't want people to learn how to think critically and question the world around 

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Did I get everything?

As I stated earlier, I support the people of color and promote their businesses for free to a vast audience across Central and now East Teas, while charging others for the same services. Tell us exactly what you do to support them? 

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well, “to take it a step further” he’s basically saying Black and Brown kids don’t need to learn their history in this country and don’t bother going to a college like UT and instead just learn a trade because that’s the only thing you’re good for while simultaneously stereotyping all urban public schools in America. Did I get everything?

As I stated earlier, I support the people of color and promote their businesses for free to a vast audience across Central and now East Texas, while charging others for the same services. Can you and "Power to the People" @jimmyjazz share with me what exactly you do to support them besides posting here?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Your "solution" doesn't address the problem.  A broad curriculum is a feature, not a bug.  There is nothing wrong with a kid focusing on STEM or a trade as they enter adulthood, but the idea of eliminating all coursework in history, literature, economics, the arts, social sciences, etc. is just mind-blowingly stupid.

It’s all connected. Knowledge is good. Don’t trust anyone preaching ignorance.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

As I stated earlier, I support the people of color and promote their businesses for free to a vast audience across Central and now East Texas, while charging others for the same services. Can you and "Power to the People" @jimmyjazz share with me what exactly you do to support them besides posting here?

Without getting into a dick-measuring contest of who's doing more good for POC, do you agree that your proposed system inherently results in what Pancho described? That is, if it works as designed, the result is not teaching POC about history while also denying them places in universities?

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I don't give a damn if you help people of color.  What you are proposing hurts people of color.  What I do or don't do makes not one whit of a difference.

And you can't be made to feel uncomfortable now if you aren't made to feel comfortable about the past.  But if the past makes you uncomfortable, then you should feel comfortable now about being uncomfortable with the past comfort.  Wait.  Dammit, I had something for CRT.  Shit.  

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't give a damn if you help people of color.  What you are proposing hurts people of color.  What I do or don't do makes not one whit of a difference.

You could have just written, "I don't do anything to help people of color, unless posting on anonymous forum is somehow helping them." 

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

You could have just written, "I don't do anything to help people of color, unless posting on anonymous forum is somehow helping them." 

I could have.  It would be wrong, but I could have done it, regardless.

You don't get to help a man with one hand and punch him in the nuts with the other and claim the high ground.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

36 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Why are you assuming people here don’t do things for people of color? Are we required to tell you what we do so you can measure it under some arbitrary scale in comparison to you?

Combined with your previous posts in this thread, you aren’t looking as good as you think you are.

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Why are you assuming people here don’t do things for people of color? Are we required to tell you what we do so you can measure it under some arbitrary scale in comparison to you?

Combined with your previous posts in this thread, you aren’t looking as good as you think you are.

It's the same lather, rinse, repeat posting style of all the other trolls.  He gets a charge out of getting people to respond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Did I get everything?

2 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Without getting into a dick-measuring contest of who's doing more good for POC, do you agree that your proposed system inherently results in what Pancho described? That is, if it works as designed, the result is not teaching POC about history while also denying them places in universities?

do you have a response to the above? you've replied to this thread since then but you rather conveniently did not acknowledge either of these above posts, both of which are directly relatable to your position...

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I could have.  It would be wrong, but I could have done it, regardless.

You don't get to help a man with one hand and punch him in the nuts with the other and claim the high ground.

Like many people here, you seem to be good at virtue signaling. Actually doing something — not so much.

• Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Did I get everything?

I'm a "brown" person. I've hired and fired lots of idiots from UT at the various marketing companies I've worked at and now my own. The ones we fired were idiots who would have benefited from STEM. STEM in HS can be more valuable than a stupid liberal arts degree from UT. Sars. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Please state exactly what you do that is making a difference in the lives of people of color. 

I'm all for "trade schools" and vocational training in or as an adjunct to high school teaching.  It would most likely open a lot of doors for less academically inclined.

But I think the reality of "STEM" is that most people lack interest and aptitude for it.  And, although there are cultural and social biases against "STEM" (women discouraged, etc.), the main reason we don't have enough STEM graduates is because people lack the interest and aptitude, and, it's hard and people are lazy.

The other thing is that STEM careers can either a) kind of suck, because US companies treat engineers like shit, and that goes double or triple for non-degreed technicians; or b) turn into "management" or general business careers.  And, the latter requires a fairly solid base in things like history and social studies, particularly at the high school level.

"Coding" and CS type subjects are kind of their own thing, but tend toward logical and analytical, the same type of things that make people unsuited for "STEM" education and careers.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

WTF? So we recognize the schools are underfunded and teachers are overwhelmed and so instead of fixing the schools we should just train the proles to code and weld? 

School funding isn’t the major tie in with academic performance. It is the economic status of the parents, which relates to the distribution of wealth within the country.

But I am sure Timmy doesn’t mind not seeing his mom much because well, he knows that his moms crap salary helped Bezos build that rocket. That’s much better than financial security.

I'm all for "trade schools" and vocational training in or as an adjunct to high school teaching.  It would most likely open a lot of doors for less academically inclined.
But I think the reality of "STEM" is that most people lack interest and aptitude for it.  And, although there are cultural and social biases against "STEM" (women discouraged, etc.), the main reason we don't have enough STEM graduates is because people lack the interest and aptitude, and, it's hard and people are lazy.
The other thing is that STEM careers can either a) kind of suck, because US companies treat engineers like shit, and that goes double or triple for non-degreed technicians; or b) turn into "management" or general business careers.  And, the latter requires a fairly solid base in things like history and social studies, particularly at the high school level.
"Coding" and CS type subjects are kind of their own thing, but tend toward logical and analytical, the same type of things that make people unsuited for "STEM" education and careers.

Women discouraged?

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

Women discouraged?

There's a long history of girls and women being discouraged at all levels from pursuing STEM degrees and training.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_STEM_fields#Explanations_for_low_representation_of_women

ETA:  I suppose I should say there's a long history of disparity and underrepresentation of women, and POC, other than azns, in STEM.  There's a multiplicity of theories as to why that is.  And a corresponding consciousness of it and attempt to remedy it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1