Bill Maher has become the whiny little bitch he complains about

Satchel

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

He's never been funny. He's the same pseudointellectual annoying creepy piece of shit he's always been.

Blah blah blah. He’s done a lot of funny stuff. He’s never been an A-list comedian but he’s been next tier for a long time and has had a long and respectable career. It’s too bad the turn he’s taken since Covid but it doesn’t discount everything he’s ever done. If you don’t like him, fine.

Any chance you’re a fan of Bill Burr?

His schtick for the longest time was atheism.  It was about ideology.  I respected his take, especially with the rampant hypocrisy machine that is organized religion.  It was never about an individual's belief with him.  Reagan basically hosted a wedding in 80s with religion and politics, and said "now, kith".  Maher grabbed on to that hypocrisy and ran with it.  This was peak Maher.

Today, it's not so much about what his beliefs (or non-beliefs) are.  It's not about ideology for him any more.  It's all about culture, not about beliefs.  He's basically aged out, even within his own demographic. His writers aren't writing comedy so much as they're writing drama, exemplified in his rants.  COVID wasn't the trigger.  He started down this road 15 years ago.  COVID was just an accelerant.

• Hook 'Em 9

He said the other night that they should keep Biden in the basement until November. And then later said they should put a republican on the dem ticket. I honestly think he wants Trump to win at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the other issue with Bill is that his show moved to CNN, which is an entirely different audience he's trying to reach and grow. I wonder if a lot of his takes that are very different from what he would have said in the past is just him playing both sides to come out on top. He's a comedian, he doesn't have to have any principles, profit and ratings are all he really needs to care about. I think he's just embracing a new form of "centrist" grift.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

He said the other night that they should keep Biden in the basement until November. And then later said they should put a republican on the dem ticket. I honestly think he wants Trump to win at this point.

Trump does make the business of infotainment a lot easier so you may not be wrong. 

Too bad Dems can’t adopt something like “Make Government Boring Again”

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think the other issue with Bill is that his show moved to CNN, which is an entirely different audience he's trying to reach and grow. I wonder if a lot of his takes that are very different from what he would have said in the past is just him playing both sides to come out on top. He's a comedian, he doesn't have to have any principles, profit and ratings are all he really needs to care about. I think he's just embracing a new form of "centrist" grift.

It moved from hbo to cnn?  

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It moved from hbo to cnn?  

CNN runs the Overtime segment after the HBO show ends.

Screenshot-2023-12-20-at-7.54.03%E2%80%A

Edited by RPM

On 3/10/2024 at 1:07 PM, Red Five said:

If you’re a comedian, Trump’s good for business. He provides a shitload material. 

Posted (edited)

I appreciate wit and comedy, like most humans on Planet Earth.

But, sadly, I have come to realize these "political" comedians (Maher, Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Seth Myers, Jon Stewart, etc.) are little more than corporate/media/comedy approved court jesters, tricksters, and clowns.

-- They are like late night ice cream, snacks, or junk food. They might taste great, but are little more than sugar hits and calories that require more exercise the next day.

In effect, the comedians are simulacra (copies in which original is no longer present) of critique that mask the near total absence of he systematic critique of the true conditions that produced MAGA-GQP Trump.

In addition to the obvious racism and fascism (mostly ignored in media), there is the ideological and media consumption of our future overlords:

-- TV's endless idiocy

-- Worship of celebrities, billionaires, and football players.

-- World Wrestling crap

-- Religious fanaticism, creationism, fundamentalism (all with 99.99% free pass in media)

-- Anti-science building for 40-50 years with the religious fanaticism

-- The History Channel showing Ancient Aliens, conspiracy lunacy, Nostradamus and apocalyptic "End Times" biblical prophecy shows for f*cking decades.

-- Paranormal and pseudoscience hit shows like The X-Files and in numerous Hollywood films. Bigfoot Hunter and Ghost Hunter shows, to name a few more.

-- The near total absence of legit science (and its many meanings for humanity) in the media. The Science Channel is filled with idiot world shows more than real science. Sagan's and Tyson's Cosmos series are great, but nowhere near anough.

-- Not much on legit environmentalism, except for Attenborough's great docs from BBC. 

-- The list is endless in our 24/7 media spectacle. Any evidentiary and empirical standards are mostly non-existent.

All amplified by social media into a virulent malignant cancer in pop consciousness

TLDR: Comedians ain't saving us, but enjoy the late-night sugar hits. 

Edited by BevoAbyss

28 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

But, sadly, I have come to realize these "political" comedians (Maher, Jimmy Kimmel, Trevor Noah, Seth Myers, Jon Stewart, etc.) are little more than corporate/media/comedy approved court jesters, tricksters, and clowns.

It's not fair to lump these all together. John Oliver and Jon Stewart run circles around Bill Maher.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Yeah, find me a journalist who puts in the research and stands behind his sourcing as vehemently as John Oliver. Dude literally dares billionaires to try to sue him.

Now, if you want to argue how depressing it is that the show that collects Russell Crowe's jock strap and artwork of rats fucking is the closest thing to journalistic integrity that we have these days, I don't have much of a counterargument.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, find me a journalist who puts in the research and stands behind his sourcing as vehemently as John Oliver. Dude literally dares billionaires to try to sue him.

Now, if you want to argue how depressing it is that the show that collects Russell Crowe's jock strap and artwork of rats fucking is the closest thing to journalistic integrity that we have these days, I don't have much of a counterargument.

Biden should have named Oliver AG back in 2020.

/half joking

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

-- They are like late night ice cream, snacks, or junk food. They might taste great, but are little more than sugar hits and calories that require more exercise the next day.

In effect, the comedians are simulacra (copies in which original is no longer present) of critique that mask the near total absence of he systematic critique of the true conditions that produced MAGA-GQP Trump.

In addition to the obvious racism and fascism (mostly ignored in media), there is the ideological and media consumption of our future overlords:

-- TV's endless idiocy

-- World Wrestling crap

-- Religious fanaticism, creationism, fundamentalism (all with 99.99% free pass in media)

-- The History Channel showing Ancient Aliens, conspiracy lunacy, Nostradamus and apocalyptic "End Times" biblical prophecy shows for f*cking decades.

-- Paranormal and pseudoscience hit shows like The X-Files and in numerous Hollywood films. Bigfoot Hunter and Ghost Hunter shows, to name a few more.

-- The near total absence of legit science (and its many meanings for humanity) in the media. The Science Channel is filled with idiot world shows more than real science. Sagan's and Tyson's Cosmos series are great, but nowhere near anough.

-- Not much on legit environmentalism, except for Attenborough's great docs from BBC. 

-- The list is endless in our 24/7 media spectacle. Any evidentiary and empirical standards are mostly non-existent.

All amplified by social media into a virulent malignant cancer in pop consciousness

lol did not read.gif

1 hour ago, BevoAbyss said:

-- TV's endless idiocy

-- World Wrestling crap

Comedians aren't supposed to be saving us. Historically, that is not in their job description.  Historically, their job description has been to provide sugar hits. 

If you want to blame somebody for the content that's provided, blame us, the audience.  The history channel is only showing us what we, via our eyeballs, are telling them we want.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BevoAbyss said:

-- TV's endless idiocy

-- World Wrestling crap

Hell, I remember when A&E used to program actual arts and entertainment.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/10/2024 at 11:07 AM, Red Five said:

Lol. Plenty of reasons to dislike Maher, but good god, could not get a bigger eye roll. 

And Trump is a billionaire. So fucking what? Maher is a moron and always has been.

He is not a moron, but he gets lazy and believes he is brighter than he is.

And @BevoAbyss Jon Stewart put in the work using his fame and position to try to help people.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

And Trump is a billionaire. So fucking what? Maher is a moron and always has been.

Trump started out with 475 million dollars.  Maher's parents were a news editor and a nurse.  

I can't believe you guys are slamming a video in which Maher says "Trump, you're still not allowed to steal an election, even if the person who caught you has a boyfriend."

Strange times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten to where I hate-listen to this at the gym on Saturday mornings. "Liberals hate Ron Desantis, because we are so polarized". Uh huh, that's why. It's the liberals' fault. 

I turned it off about 10 minutes into the panel session, when they were discussing how terrible it was that MSNBC fired poor Ronna McDaniel. 

Did hear however that Maher grilled Mark Esper about being anti-Trump but saying he wouldn't vote for Biden. So that's good.

17 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Has anyone noticed how he’s stop calling Trump a whiny little bitch?

He called him a whiny little bitch three weeks ago.

"That’s why I’m always saying to the Trump people, you think he’s so macho, and you’re the big tough guys, but the basic tough thing that a tough guy would do is be able to say I lost and not pout, and not be a whiny little bitch,” Maher said.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He called him a whiny little bitch three weeks ago.

"That’s why I’m always saying to the Trump people, you think he’s so macho, and you’re the big tough guys, but the basic tough thing that a tough guy would do is be able to say I lost and not pout, and not be a whiny little bitch,” Maher said.

I guess.

Not only is Maher a whiny little bitch, he also has the emotional maturity of a child:

Who’s the real jackass?

On a recent episode of Steve-O’s “Wild Ride!” podcast, the “Jackass” alum said Bill Maher reached out to him for an interview, but it never happened because Maher refused not to smoke weed during it.

Maher has a podcast called “Club Random,” in which he regularly smokes marijuana while chatting with guests. Steve-O has been sober for almost 16 years.

“I’m a clean and sober guy. It’s very important that I maintain my sobriety, Steve-O said on an episode of “Wild Ride!” released last month.