2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

14 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Has an reigning major award winner ever transferred?

First we had All Americans next will be major award winners and finally we will see a Heisman winner transfer by 2027 I would bet.

I know of a heisman favorite that was all but a lock to win it transfer this year 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Constant said:

There ought to be a 24/7 camera feed on Brock Vandagriff’s reaction if Caleb Williams goes to Georgia. He’s already ducked that fight once. 

Brock decommitted from OU and went to Georgia in January. Caleb committed to OU officially in June, but he was a silent a few months prior.

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

SIAP but Caleb reportedly planning on visiting USC and UCLA.

Mario Williams also in LA right now visiting USC (idk if UCLA). 

It’s been known that’s where they were going to end up. All of the other shit was a smoke screen. Only problem I see is USC has a horrible offensive line, Caleb will be running for his life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

It’s been known that’s where they were going to end up. All of the other shit was a smoke screen. Only problem I see is USC has a horrible offensive line, Caleb will be running for his life. 

No surprise. So then hello portal for Dart and Miller Moss? 

As soon as CTJ dropped the “scary amount of confidence” line I expected this, not gonna lie. This is still the same staff that stumbled through closing for most of 2021 and only got most of their big signings to close out the year because the stars aligned in a way that’s literally never happened before.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bags are more powerful than visits.

Seriously though - Tenn is a shit program but their QB had a big year and has 2 more years of eligibility.

Is this guy good enough to get bags? 

Yeah TN isn’t a crazy choice for a WR but this is a surprise.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

As soon as CTJ dropped the “scary amount of confidence” line I expected this, not gonna lie. This is still the same staff that stumbled through closing for most of 2021 and only got most of their big signings to close out the year because the stars aligned in a way that’s literally never happened before.

You expected him to randomly commit to the second school he visited without bothering to visit the other schools on his list? I'm not sure how much I can blame the staff in this case, I guess they could have paid the kid to not make the Tennessee visit, but honestly I am not sure if anyone even thought they were much of a threat.

4 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

We offered a week after he entered the portal. Tenn offered the day after he went in, the same day as a dozen other schools. Why does the staff act like it’s in a position to be picky at positions of need? 

Neyor entered the portal on 12/22. (https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-offers-Wyoming-portal-wide-receiver-Isaiah-Neyor-179183745/)

Marion named WR coach on 12/31. (https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/12/31/pitt-receivers-coach-brennan-marion-joins-texas/9062830002/)

Neyor commits on 01/08 to Tennessee of all programs after receiving many offers on 12/22. It feels more like bags rather than Texas being picky. There is plenty of time to get a wideout from the portal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 11:38 AM, texifornia said:

So USC is out for Neyor, our OV is now a weekend visit, and Tennessee is having to fight to even keep their OV while he adds one that doesn't have an OC yet. Sounds like we're in a great spot.

:(

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

We offered a week after he entered the portal. Tenn offered the day after he went in, the same day as a dozen other schools. Why does the staff act like it’s in a position to be picky at positions of need? 

Who gives a shit if shitty Team A offers you first?  Still at least go visit shitty Team B. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Neyor entered the portal on 12/22. (https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-offers-Wyoming-portal-wide-receiver-Isaiah-Neyor-179183745/)

Marion named WR coach on 12/31. (https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/12/31/pitt-receivers-coach-brennan-marion-joins-texas/9062830002/)

Neyor commits on 01/08 to Tennessee of all programs after receiving many offers on 12/22. It feels more like bags rather than Texas being picky. There is plenty of time to get a wideout from the portal.

Well if he did get paid, the next top WR will probably get paid too. Good players get paid, everyone knows the deal, that can’t be an excuse forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

You expected him to randomly commit to the second school he visited without bothering to visit the other schools on his list? I'm not sure how much I can blame the staff in this case, I guess they could have paid the kid to not make the Tennessee visit, but honestly I am not sure if anyone even thought they were much of a threat.

Expected him to go elsewhere at least

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sark hired his entire defensive staff before he found a DC. The idea that he needed to wait til he had a WR coach to get input on WR offers is a bit silly 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Only a fucking idiot thinks Verse or Neyor committed to FSU/Tenn because they were the first to offer.

“I really like Texas but FUCK they took 5 extra days to offer” - our understanding of the minds of recruits. 

46 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

Lol fuck man can’t catch a break

1) This has nothing to with “catching a break.” Luck wasn’t a determining factor. Sloth and poor recruiting, sure.

2) we caught a lot of “breaks” to close on our class. Some of us busting ass irrespective of the coach’s efforts. A fuck ton of favorable coaching changes at multiple schools. You get the picture. 

saying we can’t catch a break for this shit is like saying can’t catch a break when we make boneheaded defensive play calls against distance and front against OSU. It ain’t luck, it’s incompetence. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Gerry had been saying Tennessee was in a good spot for a while. I don’t know how many bags they are dropping while they are currently under an active NCAA investigation, but they just lost 2 of their top 3 WR’s, have a returning QB coming off a nice season, and run an offense that scores a lot of points and throws the ball downfield. 

I think we have a lot of the same selling points, but from a football perspective it’s hard to second guess the decision. It’s not like he’s going into Jimbo’s offense. 

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Only a fucking idiot thinks Verse or Neyor committed to FSU/Tenn because they were the first to offer.

FSU sold Verse on what Jeremiah Johnson did this year as a transfer. They also offered very quickly abd recruited him hard.

• Hook 'Em 3

Got to catch up with a buddy last night who just got his first P5 analyst gig. He was a walk on for us and would give his left nut to help Texas get better. He completely went off on Sark and your word of incompetence best summarizes his thoughts. Its fucking depressing. He says its a pretty common opinion in their world that Sark is out of his depth defensively. He says Patterson is heading our way (doesnt know in what capacity) and should make a difference, but he basically thinks Sark is a joke outside of being an OC and Patterson knows it because its common knowledge. He doesnt expect them to get along very well but thinks its better than letting Sark continue to fuck it up. 
He also thinks Kelly was a laughably bad hire at LSU, and cant believe Jimbo hired Durkin who he expects to be a disaster. He said a lot of people in that community were surprised Napier didnt get the LSU gig. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

He also thinks Kelly was a laughably bad hire at LSU, and cant believe Jimbo hired Durkin who he expects to be a disaster. He said a lot of people in that community were surprised Napier didnt get the LSU gig. 

so that "community" has the exact same opinion as everyone not named Jimbo Fisher and Scott Woodward?  Where do I send my resume? 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Got to catch up with a buddy last night who just got his first P5 analyst gig. He was a walk on for us and would give his left nut to help Texas get better. He completely went off on Sark and your word of incompetence best summarizes his thoughts. Its fucking depressing. He says its a pretty common opinion in their world that Sark is out of his depth defensively. He says Patterson is heading our way (doesnt know in what capacity) and should make a difference, but he basically thinks Sark is a joke outside of being an OC and Patterson knows it because its common knowledge. He doesnt expect them to get along very well but thinks its better than letting Sark continue to fuck it up. 

Honestly, this isn’t surprising. When Sark was hired, I assumed the ceiling would be set by the defensive hires. He calls plays, he recruits, figured it was expected the defense would operate in its own little fiefdom. That said it is a bit annoying that the powers that be didn’t really hammer him on the defensive side of the ball. #1 reason good coordinators fail is the blind spot on the other side of the ball

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Honestly, this isn’t surprising. When Sark was hired, I assumed the ceiling would be set by the defensive hires. He calls plays, he recruits, figured it was expected the defense would operate in its own little fiefdom. That said it is a bit annoying that the powers that be didn’t really hammer him on the defensive side of the ball. #1 reason good coordinators fail is the blind spot on the other side of the ball

Yeah hiring the right assistants, and then managing those coaches is more critical.  Not really sure that Dabo or Mack know much about defenses either...

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)