2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Interesting article. Obviously all speculation but just shows how much QB movement there is likely to be. If we don't land Arch, I'd bet we end up with an elite transfer

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/College-football-2021-QB-carousel-Quinn-Ewers-Spencer-Rattler-Hudson-Card--173078913/

Texas quarterback Hudson Card began the year as the starter but lost his job after a road blowout to Arkansas. Casey Thompson has been great since replacing Card and will have to decide after this season if he wants to test the NFL Draft waters or return to school as a preseason Heisman Trophy favorite. 

I think Bijan might have something to say about that....?

39 minutes ago, field said:

Texas quarterback Hudson Card began the year as the starter but lost his job after a road blowout to Arkansas. Casey Thompson has been great since replacing Card and will have to decide after this season if he wants to test the NFL Draft waters or return to school as a preseason Heisman Trophy favorite. 

I think Bijan might have something to say about that....?

Two heisman contenders in the same backfield sounds ok to me. 

Junior defensive back Tyler Owens intends to enter the NCAA transfer portal, Inside Texas has learned.

Owens, a third-year defensive back from Plano East High School, made 13 total tackles and started one game in his Texas career. Owens played in five games this season, notching single tackles versus Rice and Texas Tech. Owens made 27 career appearances as a Longhorn.

He possessed elite speed for his size coming out of high school, with a personal record of 10.29 in the 100-meter dash. He was second in the 2019 UIL 6A state finals for the 100 meters, finishing behind the 10.13 recorded by Strake Jesuit's Matthew Boling.

Owens had double-digit offers in high school, including scholarships from Baylor, Brown, Houston, Kansas State, UCLA, and Vanderbilt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

With the speed Owens had I expected him to turn into the rangy safety we so desperately need right now. Not sure why the light never came on for him. Oh well.

He can’t flip his hips and doesn’t change direction well enough for safety. Straight line speed is way less important. His best shot was at LB but he refused to play it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He can’t flip his hips and doesn’t change direction well enough for safety. Straight line speed is way less important. His best shot was at LB but he refused to play it. 

So I'm generally regarded when it comes to the finer points of the sport, but isn't Harold Perkins being recruited to play the "star" position? And aren't he and Owens very similar in terms of athletic traits and build?

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So I'm generally regarded when it comes to the finer points of the sport, but isn't Harold Perkins being recruited to play the "star" position? And aren't he and Owens very similar in terms of athletic traits and build?

Perkins is superior athlete with far better hips and football. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Owens got a late bump because he's a fast mf'er at his size. I'm not sure anyone really thought he was going to work out. As soon as it was clear he didn't want to move to LB his fate was sealed. Best of luck to him, regardless. 

Many people thought he was gonna be a really good player, but he was a better athlete than football player. He could be alright if he really commits at his next spot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

We need to take a page from Beard's playbook and turn the roster over via the portal

The kind of players who transfer in football aren't close to the high level guys who transfer in basketball. A single bball player also makes a much bigger impact than a single football player.

We need more serviceable bodies in general. There are plenty of guys who are in the two deep by default.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

The kind of players who transfer in football aren't close to the high level guys who transfer in basketball.

Uhhh, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Fields are just a few that have made quite the impact. That’s just QBs and names we all know.  Every year players transfer who make a big impact on their team and we don’t know or remember their name. Bama takes transfer players. That’s right, transfer players they like better than their recruited 5 stars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Uhhh, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, and Justin Fields are just a few that have made quite the impact. That’s just QBs and names we all know.  Every year players transfer who make a big impact on their team and we don’t know or remember their name. Bama takes transfer players. That’s right, transfer players they like better than their recruited 5 stars. 

I think their leading receiver this year is a transfer

What we need out of the portal is subject to extreme competition.  Good OL and good pass rushers are few and the demand is very large.  You can probably find a good WR or two and that should be a pretty easy sell.  We have a log jam with LB bodies and apparently none of better than Brock so... yeah.  Need to process some folks.  If there's a QB great... also high competition, but we should be able to sell there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My top Candidates to try and pull(wish list)

OL Donovan Jackson

OL Damieon George

OL Brockermeyer Twins

QB Quinn Ewers

LBers

Safeties

WRers

The collective on this board didn't want George the first time around, and expected him to eventually get processed from Bama. Now he is on our list of transfers wanted?

5 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

The collective on this board didn't want George the first time around, and expected him to eventually get processed from Bama. Now he is on our list of transfers wanted?

Flood likes him, and he actually played some for Bama last year.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Flood likes him, and he actually played some for Bama last year.

To add, he’s been in a college S&C program and won’t be as much of a project as a true freshmen. He’d have multiple years of eligibility remaining which would allow us to actually develop 2022 class

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

To add, he’s been in a college S&C program and won’t be as much of a project as a true freshmen. 

There's probably a lot to be said for the amount of growing up that happens in that first 3-6 months of enrolling at a university and starting S&C/football. 

I've got a few buddies who are way better husbands the second time around.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My top Candidates to try and pull(wish list)

OL Donovan Jackson

OL Damieon George

OL Brockermeyer Twins

Where did the Jackson and George rumors come from? I know Brocks is pure Surly wishcasting at this point.

I'm of the opinion that portal OLs is by far the most important thing in recruiting right now. Fix the OL and the offense will be insane next year, which will bring in studly '23/24 classes to make up for any shortcoming in 22.

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Where did the Jackson and George rumors come from? I know Brocks is pure Surly wishcasting at this point.

I'm of the opinion that portal OLs is by far the most important thing in recruiting right now. Fix the OL and the offense will be insane next year, which will bring in studly '23/24 classes to make up for any shortcoming in 22.

Jackson is said to be homesick, but no clue on the George stuff. 

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The twins are not transferring.  They're happy where they are.  Good lord people should just stop with that.  

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)