What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

11 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Sorry if my interpretation isn’t what you are trying to say… but what the fuck does this even mean? If there’s an emergency that requires a cop ASAP, then call 911 and they’ll be there ASAP. If it’s not an emergency and doesn’t require a cop ASAP, then call 311, and they’ll be there eventually. That’s how it always should’ve been. It should actually make response time a hell of a lot faster since dispatchers won’t be wasting time with calls that should’ve been to 311.

Meaning If I were to come home to a burglarized home I want the ability to call 911 and have the police come out to investigate. Not be forced to call 311 and potentially leave a message that never gets answered. From what i've read, 311 does not mean anyone will be there eventually.

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Are there even an eager group of people out there trying to become cops in Austin?  Say this passes…where do they get the manpower?   They can’t even staff restaurants at the time. 

I don’t live in Austin else I’d be going out of my way to vote against this shit

That something that will likely become a problem everywhere. It's feels like a poor time to become a police officer. My nephew was an MP in the Marines with a plan to become one but when he got out last year he decided against it.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Meaning If I were to come home to a burglarized home I want the ability to call 911 and have the police come out to investigate. Not be forced to call 311 and potentially leave a message that never gets answered. From what i've read, 311 does not mean anyone will be there eventually.

The stats on solved property crimes that don't involve hugely expensive items are abysmal, and always have been.  If you have a Ferrari stolen, someone will be out because they have a higher chance of being able to solve the case.  Golf clubs or tools out of an open garage?  Maybe if they're dumb enough to pawn it down the street.  Small jewelry that the thief is willing to drive to Houston to fence? Forget about it.  This has always been the case and will always be the case.  If your stuff is valuable enough to you insure it, or bolt a safe to your floor, or have a security system with a siren loud enough to wake the dead.  The police aren't supposed to prevent property crime by solving every case as a deterrent.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

That something that will likely become a problem everywhere. It's feels like a poor time to become a police officer. My nephew was an MP in the Marines with a plan to become one but when he got out last year he decided against it.

Good idea on his part.  There are much better jobs available, which is why recruiting for police departments is a PITA. 

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

The disdain for the Police is founded. The bullshit that they do has probably been going on for decades. The difference is now there are cell phone cameras to film the bullshit and injustice. Add that to the fact that they are basically a gang hiding behind a badge whose sole interests is to protect their own in spite of how atrocious the fuckery, the police deserve all the shit they are getting.

Police work is hard, depressing, and honorable work. I can understand how they can get jaded from interacting everyday with the worst society has to offer. But if they expect society to hold them in higher regard, they need to act with higher standards and especially as it relates to policing their fucking own.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Save Austin Now are some shady ass motherfuckers. They were a necessary evil to overturn the bullshit camping ban but they turned into a giant fucking lying organization. I can only imagine how much worse they are going to get with each election. Yea, I'm firmly in the fuck Prop A just because of these assholes.

• Like 1

What exactly do you think the police are going to do when they come out to investigate?

I’ve twice come home to a burglarized home and called APD (technically the apartment manager called them the second time after a UPS guy noticed my door had been crowbarred open). They came out, took some notes down and created a report, and were never heard from again.

In their defense, they were very transparent at the time they came out that they weren’t really going to do anything other than create a report and that there was a roughly 0% chance of them recovering any of my belongings or finding the burglars.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Save Austin Now are some shady ass motherfuckers. They were a necessary evil to overturn the bullshit camping ban but they turned into a giant fucking lying organization. I can only imagine how much worse they are going to get with each election. Yea, I'm firmly in the fuck Prop A just because of these assholes.

Didn't they get fucking Fitlump elected? So yeah. Fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Didn't they get fucking Fitlump elected? So yeah. Fuck them.

Like Fitlump is so much worse that so much of the other trash occupying the council. I'm not a fan by any means but let's face it... the clown show is full of clowns.

30 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

What exactly do you think the police are going to do when they come out to investigate?

I’ve twice come home to a burglarized home and called APD (technically the apartment manager called them the second time after a UPS guy noticed my door had been crowbarred open). They came out, took some notes down and created a report, and were never heard from again.

In their defense, they were very transparent at the time they came out that they weren’t really going to do anything other than create a report and that there was a roughly 0% chance of them recovering any of my belongings or finding the burglars.

I'm not sure they can do anything but it does feel like having more officers that can come out to at least patrol the area that a crime was just committed would benefit. Police presence in neighborhood feels like it would at least deter increased criminal activity. Maybe that's unfounded but it feels like it would be a benefit.

Edited by ZB'Tejas

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

That's slimy bullshit. 

Just now, ZB'Tejas said:

Like Fitlump is so much worse that so much of the other trash occupying the council

I'm not sure they can do anything but it does feel like having more officers that can come out to at least patrol the area that a crime was just committed would benefit. Police presence in neighborhood feels like it would at least deter increased criminal activity. Maybe that's unfounded but it feels like it would be a benefit.

Yes. Fitlump is worse than the other trash occupying office. I'm not aware of any other councilmembers being sociopathic, alcoholic, compulsive liars who had their children taken away from them, and who showed their twats on camera for money, or showed their tits to a bunch of thirsty dudes on a UT sports website. I also don't think any of them fucked Romeo Rose. So yeah, she's very much worse than all of the other council members.

What do you mean by "patrol the area"? Police don't fucking walk the beat. If a cop just walked down my residential street being all friendly with everyone I'd probably call the cops because I thought that person was impersonating an officer. I'm not sure a cop car driving around the neighborhood every half hour or so is going to change anything. It also would be cost-prohibitive to have to employ that many officers.

Plus, they can't even find anyone that wants to be a cop. Because who the fuck would want to be a cop? Cops suck.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Shooting in W. Campus last night.  An active shooting, the highest priority call, but....

AUSTIN, Texas — Police are investigating a shooting near the University of Texas at Austin campus late Sunday night. Officials are still looking for the suspects.

The Austin Police Department said they got a call to West 22nd and Pearl streets, just a few blocks off campus, at around 11:45 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 31.

Because there were no nearby units, police said it took 50 minutes to get officers on the scene even though the shooting was a high priority. Police said all of their units were on other calls, and police also said they were under minimum staffing for the night on Sunday.

Read the bold.  Then understand that it is complete and total bullshit -- it's a series of lies.  The downtown area, particularly on Halloween, has a very large police presence ("minimum staffing because it's Sunday" my ass).  A unit can make it from downtown to W. Campus in about 5 minutes.  APD is CREATING shitty situations to try to manipulate the vote on Tuesday.  Think about that long and hard when you consider whether you want to give them what they want -- the largest budget increase for any item/department in Austin history.  

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

APD is CREATING shitty situations to try to manipulate the vote on Tuesday.  Think about that long and hard when you consider whether you want to give them what they want -- the largest budget increase for any item/department in Austin history.  

There's no other real explanation. It's mafia-esque.

I say that as someone who thought the "defunding" was a bad idea. Essentially the city council pulled a bunch of funds with no idea what they would do with them and had no real plan for getting to the root of the problem they were trying to solve. But hey, that's Austin City Council -- never let really solving issues get in the way of feel-good bullshit that "looks" progressive.

Since then, however, APD has really shown their ass.

Not my H‑E‑B! Motherfuckers can’t just shoot themselves  

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/employee-critically-injured-during-a-shooting-at-north-austin-heb

A North Austin H-E-B employee has been transported to the hospital after being shot Saturday morning.

*Update from friend of firefighter 

“He said the manager was going to fine. Through and through above his hip and lower leg

Some guy inside of HeB stole a purse from a woman and took off running through the parking lot. A H‑E‑B manager chased the guy outside, purse theif was armed and shot the manager twice. Purse theif got away on foot.”

Edited by ChickenSandwich

55 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Not my H‑E‑B! Motherfuckers can’t just shoot themselves  

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/employee-critically-injured-during-a-shooting-at-north-austin-heb

A North Austin H-E-B employee has been transported to the hospital after being shot Saturday morning.

*Update from friend of firefighter 

“He said the manager was going to fine. Through and through above his hip and lower leg

Some guy inside of HeB stole a purse from a woman and took off running through the parking lot. A H‑E‑B manager chased the guy outside, purse theif was armed and shot the manager twice. Purse theif got away on foot.”

Yep.  Now do a similar anecdotal bit, but in cities that did NOT talk about "defunding" police.  Wait, what's that?  This shit is happening in those places, too?  Except in those places, the cops aren't pulling stunts and issuing false press releases about "gosh, we just couldn't respond?"  Interedasting.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Now do a similar anecdotal bit, but in cities that did NOT talk about "defunding" police.  Wait, what's that?  This shit is happening in those places, too?  Except in those places, the cops aren't pulling stunts and issuing false press releases about "gosh, we just couldn't respond?"  Interedasting.

I don’t think it’s disingenuous to have the common sense to say if they had more officers they wouldn’t be stretched as much by a large public event (which Austin has many). 

maybe you can point to an article showing response times to shootings on Halloween being the same?

More people, more crime, needs more officers. Even with a full blown criminal advocate as DA. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:53 AM, DanRydell said:

When we got broken into about 15 years ago while out of town, the cops came within an hour or so of our calling, they took down information on what was stolen, serial #s, etc, and that was about it.  They looked at what the left and what they stole, and said it was probably somebody who did it a lot (based on what was left). They told us that without descriptions, unless they catch somebody with our goods, there's not a lot they can do.

They did eventually catch the ring who did it (was 5 people) when they got tipped off later in the year.  They found some of our stuff thanks to serial #s, and it hit the news that this group would hit different parts of town randomly and never hit an area they had already hit, so the cops were right.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I don’t think it’s disingenuous to have the common sense to say if they had more officers they wouldn’t be stretched as much by a large public event (which Austin has many). 

maybe you can point to an article showing response times to shootings on Halloween being the same?

More people, more crime, needs more officers. Even with a full blown criminal advocate as DA. 

Except "more cops!" hasn't been shown to result in better policing.

And you aren't going to argue that their "it took us 50 minutes to respond to a shooting 2 miles from police HQ/downtown" bit they just said is anything but utter and complete bullshit, right?

Set aside your disdain for the Austin City Council, merited as it may be.  Knowing that the number of officers didn't change materially in the last few months (but the existence of Prop A on the ballot did), you don't find the sudden and very vocal shift to "goshdarnit, we just can't respond to any calls about any crimes!" to be utter and complete manipulative bullshit?  You are being played.

On 10/29/2021 at 10:30 AM, irishtexan said:

Yes. Fitlump is worse than the other trash occupying office. I'm not aware of any other councilmembers being sociopathic, alcoholic, compulsive liars who had their children taken away from them, and who showed their twats on camera for money, or showed their tits to a bunch of thirsty dudes on a UT sports website. I also don't think any of them fucked Romeo Rose. So yeah, she's very much worse than all of the other council members.

What do you mean by "patrol the area"? Police don't fucking walk the beat. If a cop just walked down my residential street being all friendly with everyone I'd probably call the cops because I thought that person was impersonating an officer. I'm not sure a cop car driving around the neighborhood every half hour or so is going to change anything. It also would be cost-prohibitive to have to employ that many officers.

Plus, they can't even find anyone that wants to be a cop. Because who the fuck would want to be a cop? Cops suck.

totally random side tangent but reading your post made me think about it...whatever happened on your street with that batshit crazy neighbor of yours that was graffiti-ing his own house with crazy shit and stuff?  anything ever get resolved?

Both the SAN and the No Way people have done a great job of pushing the hyperbolic shit to the hilt. It's just a matter of which scare tactics resonate most. SAN is throwing out 2.0 #s hoping that some will stick, it can't articulate on why the current police shortage isn't simply a hiring issue / replenishment of cadet classes and these recent response time stories smell. On the other hand, the anti position that fire stations will be shut down and libraries will be cut back is comical. We have a city that can stupidly find a way to budget $190MM+ over three years on 3,000 homeless people but somehow won't be able find money to keep fire stations open if Prop A passes?  We're expected to believe that Austin leadership, which has no concept of managing money, all of sudden wants to be more fiscally conservative? Dear lord. All of this is nauseating.

53%-47% Prop A goes down. (But I also thought Gary Patterson wouldn't be fired so maybe SAN can take comfort in that.)  

35 minutes ago, sidis said:

totally random side tangent but reading your post made me think about it...whatever happened on your street with that batshit crazy neighbor of yours that was graffiti-ing his own house with crazy shit and stuff?  anything ever get resolved?

He eventually ran out of money doing all of the drugs in Austin and had to sell the house. I think his ex-wife got involved and helped him get into rehab or something. He sold the house. I wonder what the inside looked like when he finally left that place. 

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He eventually ran out of money doing all of the drugs in Austin and had to sell the house. I think his ex-wife got involved and helped him get into rehab or something. He sold the house. I wonder what the inside looked like when he finally left that place. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

8A322DA4-FE91-4AD1-916F-CC63F3A533B2.gif

Shooting in W. Campus last night.  An active shooting, the highest priority call, but....
AUSTIN, Texas — Police are investigating a shooting near the University of Texas at Austin campus late Sunday night. Officials are still looking for the suspects.
The Austin Police Department said they got a call to West 22nd and Pearl streets, just a few blocks off campus, at around 11:45 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 31.
Because there were no nearby units, police said it took 50 minutes to get officers on the scene even though the shooting was a high priority. Police said all of their units were on other calls, and police also said they were under minimum staffing for the night on Sunday.
Read the bold.  Then understand that it is complete and total bullshit -- it's a series of lies.  The downtown area, particularly on Halloween, has a very large police presence ("minimum staffing because it's Sunday" my ass).  A unit can make it from downtown to W. Campus in about 5 minutes.  APD is CREATING shitty situations to try to manipulate the vote on Tuesday.  Think about that long and hard when you consider whether you want to give them what they want -- the largest budget increase for any item/department in Austin history.  

2 miles north of Nazis on Mopac, they had to time for a speed trap after the traffic jam cleared. Against A.

97adcf81c319205eab73e66c9b7c7c29.jpg

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/texas-woman-points-gun-at-7-year-old-for-trick-or-treating-outside-her-home

pulling a shotgun on trick or treaters. fuck is wrong with people?

BUDA, Texas - A Buda woman was arrested after authorities say she pulled a gun on a young child who was trick-or-treating outside her home on Quarter Avenue. Hays County deputies say 35-year-old Monica Bradford pointed the weapon at a 7-year-old on Halloween night.

"I was in shock. It’s Halloween, there are kids everywhere, how can somebody just come out with a weapon and scare these kids," said neighbor Connie Medina.

Neighbors tell FOX 7 Austin that Bradford had her front light on, that it looked like her house was open for trick or treaters, and we’re told the father and his kids were at the end of Bradford’s driveway when things quickly escalated.

Thankfully the child was not hurt, as police quickly rushed into this normally quiet neighborhood.

"There were cops at the end of our street. They stopped us and said nobody’s allowed to go down this street, there’s an incident with a gun involved," said one neighbor who lives across the street.

Police were able to make contact peacefully with Bradford but were prepared for the worst.

"Some had guns drawn, some just had their rifles at the ready," said the neighbor.

Bradford was taken into custody and brought to the Hays County Jail, but neighbors say this isn’t the first time police have been at the home in question.

Parents and grandparents in the neighborhood are breathing a sigh of relief that things didn’t turn out worse. "Little kid probably needs counseling. He or she is going to have to deal with that for years, no telling," said Medina.

Some are thinking twice about whether to let their kids trick-or-treat next year. "I’m about to the point where I don’t even want the kids going anymore," said neighbor Albert Anguiano.

Bradford is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Her bond was set at $10,000, and we’re told she has since posted that bond. She is expected to appear in court at a later date.

here's the cunt.

Buda-Monica-Bradford.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by crash_davis

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yup... I see people in Houston yapping about the rampant situation in Austin.  Interesting how Houston had more people murdered on October 18th (11 people) than Austin did in October (9)

A is going down and I hope we can continue to be pragmatic about unsupported / unsubstantiated spending. Given this city's history I'm not holding my breath but there is at least some ray of hope for fiscal responsibility. This mindset needs to be extended down the line as we're not in some fucking Monopoly world where you simply just approve shit to be spent and then ask questions later about how to get there. 

Good result.  SAN got what it deserved given the campaign it tried to run.

11 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

A is going down and I hope we can continue to be pragmatic about unsupported / unsubstantiated spending. Given this city's history I'm not holding my breath but there is at least some ray of hope for fiscal responsibility. This mindset needs to be extended down the line as we're not in some fucking Monopoly world where you simply just approve shit to be spent and then ask questions later about how to get there. 

Good result.  SAN got what it deserved given the campaign it tried to run.

67-33 percent? Lol. What a complete ass kicking. Hopefully Matt Mackowiack learns that Austin voters aren't quite as dumb as certain other groups. Doubt it though.

So, the arsonist at the synagogue doesn’t look like the “crazy homeless guy” that several people here were postulating/hoping.

White dude wearing a mask, driving a black Jeep Compass, toting a 5 gallon jerry can of accelerant, caught on surveillance video.

“AFD said on Wednesday, Nov. 3, that it is now looking for a suspect in connection with the fire. The suspect is described as thin with brown hair. He was wearing olive green pants, a black short-sleeved T-shirt with light-colored screen printing on the back and front left, a black watch, brown or olive green shoes and a face covering.
The suspect was seen driving into the parking lot of the synagogue in a dark-colored, later-model SUV-style vehicle, possibly a 2017 Jeep Compass. He approached the synagogue carrying a 5-gallon olive green "jerry can"-style container. He then left the scene carrying the container. AFD said the suspect's actions were captured via video surveillance.”

Lol…that’s exactly what most of you were “hoping” the suspect would be.

I was sure as shit hoping that it was a generic crazy/homeless type - that would have made the event much less complicated or troubling. But I didn’t have any reason to postulate in any direction, as we previously had no information on a potential suspect.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was sure as shit hoping that it was a generic crazy/homeless type - that would have made the event much less complicated or troubling. But I didn’t have any reason to postulate in any direction, as we previously had no information on a potential suspect.

Not so much hoping as there are occasionally crazy homeless people in that area. The bridge over Shoal Creek that is a block away (barely) usually has somebody sleeping under it, or up on this little concrete pad at the top (out of site unless you are walking across the bridge and look down at the right moment).  With the Randals there (RIP as of tonight at 10pm) and the dumpsters where they are, there was always somebody in the area, but they were mostly harmless/kept to themselves.  Rarely did they require getting a group together on Nextdoor with baseball bats and machetes and running them out of there.  Usually people in the neighborhood are good about remembering to piss in different areas under the bridge so that any homeless wanting to sleep there would smell the piss and realize that the neighborhood had marked that territory and that they should move on.

Also, the security cameras covering the synagogue/school/etc. are very obvious and it's a big leap from the protected speech of somebody hanging a banner on a freeway to full-on felony with the FBI getting involved.  It's a special kind of stupidity.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Hate said:

Lol…that’s exactly what most of you were “hoping” the suspect would be.

Actually I think there’s a good many people that were hoping this wasn’t an example of people being extra shitty towards others, and was just one person that wasn’t in their right mind.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Austin voters aren't quite as dumb as certain other groups.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

An eleventy-billion dollar Project Connect that won't be done for 12 years and includes a billion-dollar tunnel say otherwise.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't understand how we still have antisemites in America.  Even the shitty public school in Redneckville I went to decades ago drove the right messages home on this topic.  What kind of backwards ass piece of shit do you have to be to believe the bullshit these neo-nazi white power idiots believe?  It's just willful ignorance, which I know is the only thing we don't have supply chain issues with these days, but got damn.  I've heard schools haven't been teaching much history for the last two or three decades, which is a crying shame.  I hope this guy suffers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I got the impression they were concerned about people breaking into cars in the parking lot and stuff like that.

That, and there are a lot of elderly people going out to their cars after dark, not to mention the fact that in addition to trying to burn our places of worship, attacking Jews and their property is back in vogue.  See Pittsburgh, LA, Brooklyn, Charlottesville, et al.  And take a look at this.  I have to say, I knew things were getting pretty bad, but even I didn't know they had gotten this bad.

https://www.adl.org/education-and-resources/resource-knowledge-base/adl-tracker-of-antisemitic-incidents?field_incident_location_state_target_id=All&gclid=CjwKCAjwiY6MBhBqEiwARFSCPmaB9OVglBKiNnWF94TNC24JtEA6lgBcYpN_MSw_z7aIDZee4424qxoCRZYQAvD_BwE&page=20