Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Not sure I'd be bragging too much about only 3 time zones conference when its not even technically true (Mountain West been doing it for years, B1G will be next season, shit think CUSA is/will be 3 time zones too) And especially thinking of future B1G and whatever CUSA will be, 3 time zones not exactly great for conference continuity/unity...

Yormark seems sharp but definitely not infallible as some of my Tech fan friends would make him seem...

He doesn’t come across as particularly bright to me. He’s a good salesman and wasn’t dumb enough to just pass on a reasonable media deal like the idiots in the Pac 12, but the rest of his story so far isn’t incredibly inspiring for the future.

The guy’s pushed Mexico, which is a laughable combo of hubris, naïveté and poor prioritization. He’s pushed for UConn until consultants told him to shut the fuck up about UConn. He’s got a yokel COO with a track record of mediocrity and self-importance that he’s kept on the payroll. 

None of that portrays any kind of significant intelligence. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He doesn’t come across as particularly bright to me. He’s a good salesman and wasn’t dumb enough to just pass on a reasonable media deal like the idiots in the Pac 12, but the rest of his story so far isn’t incredibly inspiring for the future.

The guy’s pushed Mexico, which is a laughable combo of hubris, naïveté and poor prioritization. He’s pushed for UConn until consultants told him to shut the fuck up about UConn. He’s got a yokel COO with a track record of mediocrity and self-importance that he’s kept on the payroll. 

I only judge intelligence by 40-yard dash time 

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This presumes a pretense of “fairness” and hits at the rapidly dissolving concept of valuing “amateur competition” when both notions have washed through CFB’s hands like sand by the sea. 

The sport has entered a new phase. It’s done so at breathtaking speed as NIL, the portal and the suddenly expanded CFP indicate. Playoff at large bids will be about money first, merit and other quaint notions second. If an 11-1 UW doesn’t win the Pac 12, they will be told to enjoy the Holiday Bowl and to go shit in a hat otherwise if a 9-3 Alabama, Texas, or Michigan didn’t get blown out in their losses. The hue and cry from the northwest will be so faint that it will be completely ignorable. 

You guys living off of the past performance premise for 3 loss teams in a 12 team expanded playoff are going to have whiplash when this shit unfolds. 

You seem to be missing the bigger picture here over a quick example of how 12 would look last year or just odd revenue bravado.  If this was a pro sport then what you claim has merit.   However, even with NIL, it is not.   This means you either need to move toward a system where it is professional, including getting the anti-trust exemption to negotiate en masse which is another giant issue, or you need to find a way to make it work under the current system. 

So far, they are doing it under the current system.    However, in that system the more revenues grow while opportunities decrease for all schools participating within it, the brighter the spotlight begins to shine on the current system - and there is one very, very important nugget they will fight to protect, even eliminating sports, if possible, as the Big Ten had mentioned in the past.  The moment the courts or the IRS or Congress deems that the CFB structure qualifies for the UBI doctrine the entire bundle of revenue associated with that is carved out of the tax-exempt status that most universities reside, and it becomes taxable revenue.

And, in this situation, you cannot look at the athletic department as a whole, because the revenue is made in football, and lacrosse doesn't do anything as an expense for football.    You could write off coaching salaries and staff that work within the sport, but by and large football makes far, far, far more money than it spends, it pays for nearly every other sport in an athletic budget.   If deemed UBI, it would be taxed.  Last year Texas had the following football financials:

• $161.5m in revenue (70% of all revenues)
  • $50.6m in expenses (26% of all expenses)
  • $110.9m in operational profit

If deemed UBI, that piece cannot be shielded anymore, so it's now taxed.   Booster donations are no longer tax exempt since football is now for-profit.  A lot of this money evaporates quickly, non-revenue sports evaporate due to no revenues. There is also possible conversations on if the entire organization loses its non-profit status if money is provided as a payment for a service (e.g. players cannot be employees, which is why scholarships are used and tied to academics, the primary business of the university).   Though I doubt you'd see it threaten academia.  

In short, it's not fairness that will provide more playoff opportunities, it will be offered because it costs less to have the optics of fairness, than to consolidate to the point where the entire operation is deemed "for profit".   The more schools/states/regions you placate with post season spots, the less likely this spotlight gets too bright and the B1G/SEC get to keep their massive financial advantages.

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

You seem to be missing the bigger picture here over a quick example of how 12 would look last year or just odd revenue bravado.  If this was a pro sport then what you claim has merit.   However, even with NIL, it is not.   This means you either need to move toward a system where it is professional, including getting the anti-trust exemption to negotiate en masse which is another giant issue, or you need to find a way to make it work under the current system. 

So far, they are doing it under the current system.    However, in that system the more revenues grow while opportunities decrease for all schools participating within it, the brighter the spotlight begins to shine on the current system - and there is one very, very important nugget they will fight to protect, even eliminating sports, if possible, as the Big Ten had mentioned in the past.  The moment the courts or the IRS or Congress deems that the CFB structure qualifies for the UBI doctrine the entire bundle of revenue associated with that is carved out of the tax-exempt status that most universities reside, and it becomes taxable revenue.

And, in this situation, you cannot look at the athletic department as a whole, because the revenue is made in football, and lacrosse doesn't do anything as an expense for football.    You could write off coaching salaries and staff that work within the sport, but by and large football makes far, far, far more money than it spends, it pays for nearly every other sport in an athletic budget.   If deemed UBI, it would be taxed.  Last year Texas had the following football financials:

• $161.5m in revenue (70% of all revenues)
  • $50.6m in expenses (26% of all expenses)
  • $110.9m in operational profit

If deemed UBI, that piece cannot be shielded anymore, so it's now taxed.   Booster donations are no longer tax exempt since football is now for-profit.  A lot of this money evaporates quickly, non-revenue sports evaporate due to no revenues. There is also possible conversations on if the entire organization loses its non-profit status if money is provided as a payment for a service (e.g. players cannot be employees, which is why scholarships are used and tied to academics, the primary business of the university).   Though I doubt you'd see it threaten academia.  

In short, it's not fairness that will provide more playoff opportunities, it will be offered because it costs less to have the optics of fairness, than to consolidate to the point where the entire operation is deemed "for profit".   The more schools/states/regions you placate with post season spots, the less likely this spotlight gets too bright and the B1G/SEC get to keep their massive financial advantages.

The gloves have already come off. The SEC and Big 10 have gone brazenly for the money grabs. That won’t be stopping in the future. They’ve allowed everyone else to be dealt into the game, for their own protection, but they’ll control the game. In the 12 team CFP era, you are living in fantasyland if you think damned good 3 loss teams from the two big conferences won’t get preference to non-conference-winning lesser brands with fewer losses. They’re not under any congressional or IRS pressure regarding the non-profit status and that isn’t going to change if 9-3 Bama, a ratings and revenue driver, gets in over  11-1 UW and all conferences and programs make more money for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Don't forget his Rucker Park basketball push

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Don't forget his Rucker Park basketball push

Yeah, and he also openly brags on the issue that he doesn’t know football well, as though that is some sort of virtue. Honestly, the bar is so low for conference commissioners and that’s about the only reason anyone thinks much of anything about Yormark in the first place. Scott, Beebe, Bowlsby, Kliavkoff, the imbecile running the ACC, these are professional clowns. It’s pretty unbelievable. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So you're saying he's the conference commish version of mensa?

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LMAO aggy boycott incoming.  "Longhorn State"

They'll cancel the 100 year decision and head off the AAC because "Texas is ruining another conference" 

The Big 12 fans in the replies are just such delicious tears to taste. SEE TEXAS IS ALREADY MAKING THE CONFERENCE DO WHAT THEY WANTED. All the while not seeing that this is the SEC saying what you thought was yours is now definitely ours. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

The Big 12 fans in the replies are just such delicious tears to taste. SEE TEXAS IS ALREADY MAKING THE CONFERENCE DO WHAT THEY WANTED. All the while not seeing that this is the SEC saying what you thought was yours is now definitely ours. 

Yeah I just cannot figure why the SEC would do it’s media days next year in Dallas, halfway between its 2 newest blue blood members, who play their historic rivalry game in that city, and do media days at a stadium owned by one their members’ biggest benefactors 

Must be Texas controlling everything! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I can't believe the SEC would have its media days at the 4th largest media market in the US. 

Shocking. 

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I just cannot figure why the SEC would do it’s media days next year in Dallas, halfway between its 2 newest blue blood members, who play their historic rivalry game in that city, and do media days at a stadium owned by one their members’ biggest benefactors 

Must be Texas controlling everything! 

Omni Hotel in Dallas, not JerryWorld. Good because F that son of a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

They won't be at the same time, the metroplex has plenty of room for both. Big XII will almost certainly stay at Jerryworld since they renewed the CCG there for another decade or so. I'm curious though if the fans of the SEC OG's are okay with this, it seems to make sense since it's the major market that is now within their footprint. I highly doubt they'd ever place an SEC CCG game there, but who knows. 

Edited by 'stache

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

SEC Media Days in Dallas during Texas' first season. That makes the number of SEC Media Days in Texas the same as the number of games aggy has played Georgia since joining the SEC. 

That is still astonishing to me. All the talk about going past 16 teams and its no longer a conference. With 14, these teams haven't played after ten years of being conference mates? I know the math and the SEC scheduling system these last ten years, no need to explain, but this fact is still amazing. 

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

The SWC and Big 8 have decades of history of playing round robin schedules. 

The SEC has decades of history of not playing round robin schedules, even when there were only eight teams in the conference

I didn't know this, and google didn't help. How did they schedule 8 teams without a round robin? Did they play fewer than 7 conference games? There weren't divisions so it couldn't have been a double round robin within a division. 

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I didn't know this, and google didn't help. How did they schedule 8 teams without a round robin? Did they play fewer than 7 conference games? There weren't divisions so it couldn't have been a double round robin within a division. 

Here is one picked at random. 12 teams and some played five league games and others played six and I cannot find any rhyme or reason. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:1945_Southeastern_Conference_football_standings

33 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Prior to early 1980's there were no minimum requirements for conference games. No idea why but there weren't. As an example Auburn played 5 or 6 in 1970 and 71 and then 8 in 1972. In 1972 the only loss was to LSU and Auburn only played LSU like once a decade back then. Alabama played nine that year.  There were no rules on how many or who you played. SEC champion was winning percentage. Still mad about 1972. Auburn was 7-1 and beat Alabama. Alabama was 8-1 because they usually added an extra game and they "won" the SEC with a better percentage.

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

They won't be at the same time, the metroplex has plenty of room for both. Big XII will almost certainly stay at Jerryworld since they renewed the CCG there for another decade or so. I'm curious though if the fans of the SEC OG's are okay with this, it seems to make sense since it's the major market that is now within their footprint. I highly doubt they'd ever place an SEC CCG game there, but who knows. 

Probably will end up rotating. That new Titans stadium will be attractive to pair with Atlanta 

6 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Prior to early 1980's there were no minimum requirements for conference games. No idea why but there weren't. As an example Auburn played 5 or 6 in 1970 and 71 and then 8 in 1972. In 1972 the only loss was to LSU and Auburn only played LSU like once a decade back then. Alabama played nine that year.  There were no rules on how many or who you played.

Yeah.  In 1970, LSU won the ten team SEC with a 5-0 conference record.  Tennessee finished 2nd and had a 4-1 league record.  Auburn was 3rd at 5-2.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_LSU_Tigers_football_team 

My guess as to the "why" is all the conference realignment chaos in the South between the 20s and 60s.  Protecting bus-travel friendly / familiar opponents took priority over playing the rest of your league on a consistent basis.  It took a couple decades of stability to change the approach.  

On 7/14/2023 at 1:02 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Just a reminder, fuck this conference and Weiser.

2022 Holding Calls

Texas 8
Opponents 2(Texas Tech/Kansas State)

Oklahoma 7(1 was declined)
Opponents 2(Baylor)

Texas/OU 15
Opponents 3

The above does not include the Texas vs Oklahoma Big 12 game.

Crazy Eyes Meme GIF by MOODMAN

On 7/14/2023 at 2:02 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Just a reminder, fuck this conference and Weiser.

2022 Holding Calls

Texas 8
Opponents 2(Texas Tech/Kansas State)

Oklahoma 7(1 was declined)
Opponents 2(Baylor)

Texas/OU 15
Opponents 3

The above does not include the Texas vs Oklahoma Big 12 game.

Don't forget the BULLSHIT holding calls on Texas defensive linemen!

Look for more of that BULLSHIT this year.

• Rage+1 2

On 7/15/2023 at 10:55 AM, CustersDoctor said:

There's certainly some truth to that. What Big12 fan would have watched last years Cincy vs UCF game? NOBODY. But some BIG12 fans will be more likely to watch Cincy vs UCF in the future. OU & UT fanbases NOT watching as much BIG12 football will somewhat hurt the rating starting in 2024. We'll just have to wait and see. In 2024, Will the combined fanbases of BYU, UCF, UH & Cincy, watching Tech vs OkSt game be the same as the fan interest use to be from OU & UT fans? Maybe about the same, but it takes four schools to do it.

Houston doesn't have fans or if they do, it's very minimal. It's a very fair-weather fanbase. I attended that school early on in my undergrad years before transferring out and I can confirm that around campus you'll see more students wearing UT, Tech, aggy and LSU shirts than UH shirts. Most of the student body still lives at home with their parents or off campus and commutes. Kids only show up to games if it's a "big time" opponent or if a game is on ESPN. If the Cougars are mediocre, no one gives a damn. Also very few season ticket holders. They ain't got no fans.... 

11 hours ago, Tex Long said:

You know, Yormark would prolly go to Disney World... UCF is in Orlando, yeah?

Or since Yormark seems so intent on breaking into the untapped college sports market south of the Rio Grande: Mexico City/Monterrey

Though why stop there? I hear they have never played college football in Mogadishu…

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Thought it was an extension til 2031?  Think the Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta's agreement ends in '26.. I know they are working on an extension there as well.. be interesting to see if it's a full 10 years or a 5 year extension like JerryWorld gave the Big12.

I can definitely see Jerryworld bidding for that game

I think the Big XII football championship will always be at Jerryworld and the basketball tournament in KC. It seems to work as DFW is a big market with a big stadium that is relatively central to the teams, same with KC. I assume baseball will be in Arlington permanently too because, even though the atmosphere is dogshit and nobody in DFW seems to care, the roof keeps it cool and prevents rain delays. I'd say 50-50 that the SEC football championship ever gets played at Jerryworld, the old guard would likely be against it, just my guess (very different than media days where only a small part of the fanbase tunes in, most of us just read headlines and articles of interest, very few are live streaming the whole day on Youtube). 

Just now, 'stache said:

I think the Big XII football championship will always be at Jerryworld and the basketball tournament in KC. It seems to work as DFW is a big market with a big stadium that is relatively central to the teams, same with KC. I assume baseball will be in Arlington permanently too because, even though the atmosphere is dogshit and nobody in DFW seems to care, the roof keeps it cool and prevents rain delays. I'd say 50-50 that the SEC football championship ever gets played at Jerryworld, the old guard would likely be against it, just my guess (very different than media days where only a small part of the fanbase tunes in, most of us just read headlines and articles of interest, very few are live streaming the whole day on Youtube). 

I think the stadium could do both.. like if the SEC decided to rotate the CCG games between Atlanta and Dallas.. Big12 could play Friday night and the SEC play Saturday night.. who says no to that??

11 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think the stadium could do both.. like if the SEC decided to rotate the CCG games between Atlanta and Dallas.. Big12 could play Friday night and the SEC play Saturday night.. who says no to that??

That would be hilarious that the SEC forces big 12 to have it's conference title game on Friday lol.

11 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I'd doubt the B12 got that valuation with a Friday CCG and I'm not sure ESPN would want to since it pulls in 10m without brands.    I can see both the SEC and B12 playing its game their though, like SEC mostly ATL, with a few DFW/Nashville and in those years the B12 is in Arrowhead or NRG or Paul Brown.

Or Jerry gets the B12 at noon and the SEC in prime.   With the B1G gone from the mouse, they can schedule the B12/ACC/SEC in sequence.

13 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I'd doubt the B12 got that valuation with a Friday CCG and I'm not sure ESPN would want to since it pulls in 10m without brands.    I can see both the SEC and B12 playing its game their though, like SEC mostly ATL, with a few DFW/Nashville and in those years the B12 is in Arrowhead or NRG or Paul Brown.

Or Jerry gets the B12 at noon and the SEC in prime.   With the B1G gone from the mouse, they can schedule the B12/ACC/SEC in sequence.

The idea of UCF or Houston making the Big 12 CCG in a year when it’s in Arrowhead is fucking hilarious to me

4 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Houston doesn't have fans or if they do, it's very minimal. It's a very fair-weather fanbase. I attended that school early on in my undergrad years before transferring out and I can confirm that around campus you'll see more students wearing UT, Tech, aggy and LSU shirts than UH shirts. Most of the student body still lives at home with their parents or off campus and commutes. Kids only show up to games if it's a "big time" opponent or if a game is on ESPN. If the Cougars are mediocre, no one gives a damn. Also very few season ticket holders. They ain't got no fans.... 

Pretty much.  I've lived in Houston for a long time.  You wouldn't know they have a football team unless they're good (2015 Tom Herman team).  Same with basketball.  The city was all over UH's run the last 3 seasons.  Before that? Not a peep. 

5 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

All true, there's a reason they were put in BIG12 time out for 25 years. I think there will P5 shake up by 2036, UH  has to prove they belong or they will be left out again.