Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

18 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Change the name to the Big16 and the casual fan isn’t going to know what that refers to for a few years. You lose the identity that was built around OU and UT which still gives some credence to them being a Power conference.

The "casual fan" doesn't know that UH, BYU, UCF, and UC are even in the Big12 this year. And will probably still think ASU and UA are in the Pac whatever. But, point taken.

May as well wait for the ACC to go belly up.

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

National Signing Day: Big 12 poised to finish outside top 20 in recruiting rankings amid Texas, Oklahoma exits

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/national-signing-day-big-12-poised-to-finish-outside-top-20-in-recruiting-rankings-amid-texas-oklahoma-exits/

Seems like slorch's "rebuilt, decent, competitive league" doesnt want to compete in recruiting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

National Signing Day: Big 12 poised to finish outside top 20 in recruiting rankings amid Texas, Oklahoma exits

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/national-signing-day-big-12-poised-to-finish-outside-top-20-in-recruiting-rankings-amid-texas-oklahoma-exits/

I can’t wait to hear the spin job on this from my Tech alum Big 12 Stan friend…

conspiracy theory mood GIF

29 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

2011 the only time (Tech) that another team was ever in the top 20 (#19)? ... nothing new here. Texas & OU leaving certainly wasn't going to be a recruiting boon for them.

Need to alter the recruiting pitch to “son would you like to play in a power 3 conference”

4 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

They will scout some good prospects, and coach and develop them up. 

Then the P2 teams will grab those stars in the portal. 

5 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Tech sneaking into the top 25 is pretty good for them, but that's almost all Hudson. 

6 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

But but but I heard Joey McGuire is a witch at recruiting

On the IT podcast, Wadlington was discussing the SEC-B1G discussion. He said he expects the outcome to be- in exceptional years, the B12 or ACC might get two teams in the CFP, but not both in the same year. If FBS doesn’t like it, they’ll split off. 

2 hours ago, statsman said:

On the IT podcast, Wadlington was discussing the SEC-B1G discussion. He said he expects the outcome to be- in exceptional years, the B12 or ACC might get two teams in the CFP, but not both in the same year. If FBS doesn’t like it, they’ll split off. 

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, statsman said:

Yeah they are not going to split off. So long as their champ can automatically get in the teams in those leagues have a theoretical chance. That's all you can ask for really. 

5 hours ago, statsman said:

Who will split off, the B1G/SEC or the ACC/B12?

No. The P4 conference champs are in. One G5 conference champ is in. That leaves seven at large. The B12 or ACC might get an extra team in, but not both. 

Baseline should be 8-9 SEC and B1G teams in 12 team playoff (oh, yes, and Notre Dame figures in)

Edited by statsman

No. The P4 conference champs are in. One G5 conference champ is in. That leaves seven at large. The B12 or ACC might get an extra team in, but not both. 

Baseline should be 8-9 SEC and B1G teams in 12 team playoff 
Okay...so explain the problem again?

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

Baseline should be 8-9 SEC and B1G teams in 12 team playoff 

It’ll never be nine if you’re giving out 3 other autobids. One of Big12/ACC will get 2 most years and you still have ND sitting out there. That’s why the SEC wants to get rid of them and go all at large.

2 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’ll never be nine if you’re giving out 3 other autobids. One of Big12/ACC will get 2 most years and you still have ND sitting out there. That’s why the SEC wants to get rid of them and go all at large.

This past year, in the final Dec. 3 rankings, FSU was ACC champ. Next ACC team was Louisville at 15 (not in). Highest of the new B12 was Arizona at 14. Notre Dame was 16. 

We have debated here- who is more deserving of an at large bid- a two loss B12 team or a three loss SEC/B1G team? The SEC and B1G are pushing their chips in. 

15 minutes ago, statsman said:

This past year, in the final Dec. 3 rankings, FSU was ACC champ. Next ACC team was Louisville at 15 (not in). Highest of the new B12 was Arizona at 14. Notre Dame was 16. 

We have debated here- who is more deserving of an at large bid- a two loss B12 team or a three loss SEC/B1G team? The SEC and B1G are pushing their chips in. 

This year was not like most years we all know that. Washington and Oregon, Texas and OU would be adding some losses to the SEC/B1G side. Remove those teams and you remove more losses. Arizona lost to USC/Wash but they won’t play going forward. It’s all going to balance out with the weaker ACC/Big12 #2 having better looking teams by record than the 3rd/4th place SEC/B1G team, rightly or wrongly.

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

This year was not like most years we all know that. Washington and Oregon, Texas and OU would be adding some losses to the SEC/B1G side. Remove those teams and you remove more losses. Arizona lost to USC/Wash but they won’t play going forward. It’s all going to balance out with the weaker ACC/Big12 #2 having better looking teams by record than the 3rd/4th place SEC/B1G team, rightly or wrongly.

This is horrible logic-“Once the strong programs are out of the PAC and B12, the remaining teams will have better records and look stronger.”

What you’re describing is exactly why the SEC and B1G would flex. 

5 hours ago, Okie State said:

It sounds like maybe he thinks the BIG and SEC should be getting more than 8-9 of the 12 spots?

If he refers to me then I don’t know how you got that. I point blank said the SEC/B1G would not get 9. I’d set the over/under at 7.5.

That being said allowing a Liberty level school a permanent spot over their 2-3 loss team is what’s pissing them off. If they go full at large then that problem goes away.

If he refers to me then I don’t know how you got that. I point blank said the SEC/B1G would not get 9. I’d set the over/under at 7.5.
That being said allowing a Liberty level school a permanent spot over their 2-3 loss team is what’s pissing them off. If they go full at large then that problem goes away.
Not you. I still don't understand what the point of Statmans post was. Seems like the BIG and SEC would be content having all the money, all the recruiting, all the prime TV spots, and 75% of the playoff spots.

You’re arguing against the point you want me to have made. 

37 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Not you. I still don't understand what the point of Statmans post was. Seems like the BIG and SEC would be content having all the money, all the recruiting, all the prime TV spots, and 75% of the playoff spots.

You’re arguing against a point you want me to have made, not one I made. Wadlington commented that the SEC/B1G are going to want 8-9 spots in a 12 team playoff. Thats all. The P2 have a lot of, well, power. 

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

The problem with the B12, even more so than the ACC, is that there is no dominant team poised to take over the league. The problem with that is that the press isn’t going to say “Oh well duh, of course Tech needs to be in, etc.” it is going to play itself out on the field and more often than not be a winner take all. At large bids will be few and far between because there isn’t “that team” that may take a late season loss and miss the B12 title game.

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The problem with the B12, even more so than the ACC, is that there is no dominant team poised to take over the league. The problem with that is that the press isn’t going to say “Oh well duh, of course Tech needs to be in, etc.” it is going to play itself out on the field and more often than not be a winner take all. At large bids will be few and far between because there isn’t “that team” that may take a late season loss and miss the B12 title game.

Nothing is off limits in the Big 12 and ACC after Florida State got left out this past season. I believe the committee's methodology hasn't changed, they're just just expanding from 4 to 12. Any 10-2 Big 12/ACC is going to sweating bullets on Selection Sunday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

His point is that Liberty/OKST/ISU are all the same, that’s been the theme for months. Most years the ACC/BXII/G5 will get one spot each. Some years ACC/BXII will get an extra spot. That’s 8-9 spots for BIG/SEC. He’s still pretending that “Irate 8” fans are upset by this despite the fact that everyone from that group that posts here thinks it makes perfect sense.

You’re arguing against the point you want me to have made. 
You’re arguing against a point you want me to have made, not one I made. Wadlington commented that the SEC/B1G are going to want 8-9 spots in a 12 team playoff. Thats all. The P2 have a lot of, well, power. 

And they will get 8-9 spots. So, again, what the fuck is the point of what you posted?
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, statsman said:

It depends on the schedule. Conference affiliation doesn't mean much when they are so big you only play half of the teams.

Not sure what's left of 2Pac will get much of a shot at CFP.  So my guess is

• B10         4 or 5 teams
  • SEC        4 or 5 teams
  • ACC        1 or 2 teams
  • B12          1 or 2 teams
  • Non P4    1 team

Notre Dame will get a spot from time to time