Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Tarp has a writeup on Medley. It's all over the fucking place and even though he's trying to paint it in the most positive light, he's pissed off most of the Aggy board with it. 

Medley is a 3-star offensive tackle prospect who is listed at 6-foot-4 and 305 pounds. He’s the Aggies third commit in a top five 2019 recruiting class since Saturday. He has over 30 offers from schools from across the length of Southeast and chose the Aggies over Clemson, Florida State, and Mississippi State.

He plays left tackle in a spread offense that often uses four receiver sets much like programs here in Texas. He’s normally in a two point stance with the interior linemen in three point stances. Many high schools play their best offensive linemen at left tackle for pass protection purposes and Medley is an example of this. It’s something you see right off of the ball since he is tasked with making a lot of blocks in space that require good footwork. He has very good lateral movement and an excellent kick step. He mirrors rushers and stays with them throughout his drop. Medley has no problems playing with his feet underneath his shoulders and maintaining the advantage that his size provides.

Not only that, Medley is someone who is capable of making plays on the move. Because he plays in space via spread formations, he is always having to get to backers at the second level in the running game or pull on counter plays. You can see that he has good hips, can turn 90 degrees, and keep moving his feet after first contact. Medley also has burst for a guy and gets out on backers quickly.

Given his size relative to that of other signees in A&M’s class, Medley is going to have to make a move inside to guard. He is going to have to learn to play in a three point stance with more bend in his knees and hips than he currently has to. From the looks of his film, he should be able to make the adjustment. Medley is also big enough right now that he allows people at times to get into his body because he is confident enough that he can either just stalemate them or eventually get his hands on them. Like a lot of guys his age and size, he’ll need to develop more consistent and earlier punch. In addition, he’ll play tall at times which makes him spread his feet too far apart in his stance and over commit on his initial kick step. He’ll have to worry about that less playing inside.

Overall, Medley is going to have to take time reshape his body to an extent and make the move inside. He is used to playing on the edge and in space and the West Coast offense that the Aggies now run will require him to play with reduced line splits and in traffic. Nonetheless, he has the size and footwork that you should want in an interior lineman on the next level and his commitment should complete a quality offensive line haul for A&M in 2019. 
Jeff Tarpley 247

We didnt recruit this kid to play guard

I just watched his film and will be shocked if he plays any position other than OT in college.

If Medley, Green, and Rayburn are supposedly guards, then that just leaves Trainor, who doesn’t have a single highlight of pass blocking, as likely our only tackle in this class. So either you have drastically different evaluations than our staff or were fucked at tackle.

"You Stupid sips fehgs, Green and Medley are SEC OTs, that could also play OG, and the 2020 class is loaded with OTs The Marine will nab all of them that he wants ...  wait, what? what do you mean we are almost full at OL and they are all 4 OGs? No man, I'm talking about the 2020 class not the 2019 class. *clicks through the commit list for 2020*. WHAT THE FUCK?! " 

Aggy, probably

2 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I think rayburn commited....to clemson

Bahahaha. TBGFL bringing the pre-commitment lulz. 

13 hours ago, TBGFL said:

Must admit I'm a bit surprised Medley committed to A&M. Of the two, I've heard Rayburn has the higher upside. 

What I heard locally is that FSU and UF like Medley but weren't making him a priority.

Hunter’s a good dude. Went to aggyland just to ensure his buddy’s commitment would be accepted.  Btw, I admire tarp for giving a fairly honest, even if somewhat rosy IMO, prospect anlysis to those rabid, sunshine mongering sheep humpers. Medley is not a tackle. He’s 6’4 with lead feet in his pass drop. If Herman had taken Medley as an OT, I’d be losing my shit right now. God bless the Marine. He just can’t stop taking inside linemen, and we’re all better for it.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

Again, I'm no expert at watching film or projecting player success, but Robinson looked good to me on the 7 or 8 plays I watched of his film. At first I thought his offer list was pretty good because I saw Pitt and Nebraska, but then I realized I must be thinking this is the last century when those were more prominent teams.

If A&M works really hard to develop these players and Jimbo is indeed a top flight coach, it looks like they may be able to sustain Sumlin's streak of winning seasons and bowl appearances. That's a wisely spent $75 million. There's no quo like the status quo.

Just now, RomaVicta said:

Again, I'm no expert at watching film or projecting player success, but Robinson looked good to me on the 7 or 8 plays I watched of his film. At first I thought his offer list was pretty good because I saw Pitt and Nebraska, but then I realized I must be thinking this is the last century when those were more prominent teams.

If A&M works really hard to develop these players and Jimbo is indeed a top flight coach, it looks like they may be able to sustain Sumlin's streak of winning seasons and bowl appearances. That's a wisely spent $75 million. There's no quo like the status quo.

The problem with Robinson is he's not a tackle 

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Robinson’s not a horrible prospect but he’s not that great of one either. Medley’s not a horrible take if you already have OT taken care of and you plan to play him at G. If you look at aggy’s 2019 and 2020 classes as a whole, you see a bunch of not overly mobile interior linemen. Each take in and of itself isn’t horrible, but when you’re a school that needs tackles badly, those are not good classes at all.

Also, finding prospects who could become solid guards isn’t tough. Settling for these guys this early in the cycle (and especially the 2020 cycle) is not good.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

52%, 53%, whatever it takes.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Robinson’s not a horrible prospect but he’s not that great of one either. Medley’s not a horrible take if you already have OT taken care of and you plan to play him at G. If you look at aggy’s 2019 and 2020 classes as a whole, you see a bunch of not overly mobile interior linemen. Each take in and of itself isn’t horrible, but when you’re a school that needs tackles badly, those are not good classes at all.

Also, finding prospects who could become solid guards isn’t tough. Settling for these guys this early in the cycle (and especially the 2020 cycle) is not good.

We should all be very well versed in the practice of taking guard prospects early in the cycle by now. Hopefully it turns out for them the same way it did for us. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

There’s a decent chance that Robinson is the C target if Bragg goes full Stanford. Doesn’t invalidate anything anyone is saying here, but don’t write him off as a player. 

Based on what @UT Lawnghorn said, I'm fully on board with him being a C take since we have Johnson and hopefully will have Shepherd as OTs. It's only when combined with five other guards that he becomes a breadstick.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There’s a decent chance that Robinson is the C target if Bragg goes full Stanford. Doesn’t invalidate anything anyone is saying here, but don’t write him off as a player. 

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Based on what @UT Lawnghorn said, I'm fully on board with him being a C take since we have Johnson and hopefully will have Shepherd as OTs. It's only when combined with five other guards that he becomes a breadstick.

I wouldn't be excited if we grabbed Robinson, but I wouldn't be mad either. He's a decent prospect and could turn into a good center in 2-3 years. He doesn't show the potential to just flat out maul people like Bragg, but he has good feet for an inside guy and with a couple years of strength training, could become a more powerful run blocker. 

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Considering Layden Robinson is Jalen Preston's cousin and they just took two more Manvel kids last year, I doubt he ends up in our class unless A&M decides to pass on him 

All that said though, I agree with Fud. I don't think our prospects of getting him are very good if aggy wants him (which I'm thinking they do with losing that kid to Clemson) due to all those connections. It's not too big of a deal. I think we can find someone similar without too much trouble. 

4 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I wouldn't be excited if we grabbed Robinson, but I wouldn't be mad either. He's a decent prospect and could turn into a good center in 2-3 years. He doesn't show the potential to just flat out maul people like Bragg, but he has good feet for an inside guy and with a couple years of strength training, could become a more powerful run blocker. 

All that said though, I agree with Fud. I don't think our prospects of getting him are very good if aggy wants him (which I'm thinking they do with losing that kid to Clemson) due to all those connections. It's not too big of a deal. I think we can find someone similar without too much trouble. 

Meh. You guys are seeing ghosts. He has connections to TAMU, but he’s interested in Texas. UT straight up fucked up Preston’s recruitment because Mehringer is a clown, but Manvel isn’t Katy. I’m not saying he won’t be an aggie, I’m just saying you guys are playing Eeyore when it isn’t merited. Long way to go with this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Meh. You guys are seeing ghosts. He has connections to TAMU, but he’s interested in Texas. UT straight up fucked up Preston’s recruitment because Mehringer is a clown, but Manvel isn’t Katy. I’m not saying he won’t be an aggie, I’m just saying you guys are playing Eeyore when it isn’t merited. Long way to go with this one.

Glad to hear there's interest in Texas. If we're really going to go after him and have moved on from Bragg, then offering Robinson would be a good start (I'm sure we've already been talking to him but still). It does seems like he's close to committing to aggy. If we offer and get him to hold off his commitment, then I'd feel a lot more optimistic about his recruitment. 

Also, I don't really consider it playing eeyore, mainly because I'm pretty apathetic about him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think it's Chayse Todd in that scenario, or more likely both Todd and Robinson would get the attention. You can't coach mean and Chayse Todd doesn't fucking play games and has really good athleticism for a guy at 290. He has excellent balance and is everything the current Aggy targets aren't. I think he's a take in his own right but if Bragg goes Stanford I think you'd see Texas get serious about both Todd and Robinson. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/the-opening-houston-ol-chayse-todd-highlights/

another example ::

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think it's Chayse Todd in that scenario, or more likely both Todd and Robinson would get the attention. You can't coach mean and Chayse Todd doesn't fucking play games and has really good athleticism for a guy at 290. He excellent balance and is everything the current Aggy targets aren't. I think he's a take in his own right but if Bragg goes Stanford I think you'd see Texas get serious about both Todd and Robinson. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/the-opening-houston-ol-chayse-todd-highlights/

I don't know how you know so much about TX HS football, the state of Texas recruiting, and really national recruiting for that matter, but I really appreciate your contributions.

I'd probably prefer to wait it out for a while for some late bloomers like this guy, rather than grab Robinson now. I guess my only question is how many inside line prospects the staff wants this year. IF they want like 3, then I'd be fine with grabbing Robinson now, but if they only want one, or even probably two, I'd prefer to wait and see who pops up senior year.  Given how judicious the staff has been with OL offers, especially for interior prospects, my guess is it's more the latter.

I think it's Chayse Todd in that scenario, or more likely both Todd and Robinson would get the attention. You can't coach mean and Chayse Todd doesn't fucking play games and has really good athleticism for a guy at 290. He has excellent balance and is everything the current Aggy targets aren't. I think he's a take in his own right but if Bragg goes Stanford I think you'd see Texas get serious about both Todd and Robinson. 

This is badass. I love watching punk ass DL get their shit pushed in.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Measured in at 6'1 278 in Houston from late February. This one's not happening unless he gets a growth spurt. 

It might be for this staff

This staff definitely wants taller OL, but at Center they will take a lower height player to improve visibility of the field. Have no idea whether 6’1” is too short, but I would think it would be.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

This staff definitely wants taller OL, but at Center they will take a lower height player to improve visibility of the field. Have no idea whether 6’1” is too short, but I would think it would be.

Did you just pull this out of your ass?

Bragg is 6'4, and they wanted him. 

Maybe he's too short, but the staff has talked with him quite a bit and it looks like Hand has signed several C/OG at 6'2" or 6'3" ( https://247sports.com/Coach/Herb-Hand-744/AllTimeRecruitsI mean, it's all about leverage, balance, reach, and play. Todd would struggle far less with guys getting to his body at 6'1" than 6'4" Adrian Medley.