Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Especially if you look at the recent history of Temple coaches: Golden, Addazio, Rhule, and Collins all were able to leverage the Temple job into better coaching opportunities.  It's seemingly one of the best stepping stone jobs out there.

I’ve also read that Elko wants to get back to the NE someday, so I assume he has ties up there?  Are Northeastern ties as strong as Polynesian ties?  

2 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

I’ve also read that Elko wants to get back to the NE someday, so I assume he has ties up there?  Are Northeastern ties as strong as Polynesian ties?  

He’s from New Jersey and went to Penn.

They certainly used to restrain a lot of children to fuck them in State College, so I guess the ties are pretty strong up there. 

Take with a grain of salt, but Hamm threw out the rumor the ags are going to offer $2.1M next year.  It's a one year deal, so they know he's gone.  Seems short sided on elko's part to take.  Loses so much of that group and I question how effective they are going to be next year as a unit.  Especially with the schedule they have to navigate.  Strike while the iron's hot...

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Take with a grain of salt, but Hamm threw out the rumor the ags are going to offer $2.1M next year.  It's a one year deal, so they know he's gone.  Seems short sided on elko's part to take.  Loses so much of that group and I question how effective they are going to be next year as a unit.  Especially with the schedule they have to navigate.  Strike while the iron's hot...

What’s the Temple job offering? 

Temple offering $2M/5 years.  So there's stability and the understanding that you have a few years to build things up - then jump to bigger/better as the predecessors @ Temple did.  The ags tank next year.  His stock drops off the charts.  With the talent they are losing.  The brutal schedule.  I can see the allure of Temple.  

19 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

As of Nov. 23, Elko is one of five assistants who did not have signed contracts with A&M. If he were to leave for another job, it's unclear if Elko would owe the Aggies a buyout for leaving for another job. A&M has not released the employment agreements of its unsigned assistants.

I find this hard to believe. I know, i know, we're talking about aggy but still. 

12 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

I can't wait for the Luicci spin on this one, I'm sure it will mention money whipping him to stay. Slightly surprised he would stay though as he has to know they will be much worse on defense next year. 

The spin is that aggy is so awesome that Elko gave up a HC job to stay as DC at the premier SEC program in the state of Texas.

But Elko isn't out of this until Temple announces someone else as HC - we saw how Elko did ND last year.

1 minute ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Diaz is about to be a head coach though. 

I am talking about what happened to Diaz after Mack threw his ass to wolves. Elkos defense is going to regress with all the guys they are losing and jimbo will make him the fall guy.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

A&M is certainly good for coaches wallets. Elko hasn't even been their a full year and his salary has about doubled from what he was making this time last year.

I’m kinda surprised he only got $2.1MM out of them in this latest round.  Figured he’d find a way to $3MM.  

52 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Aggie probably trying to build this narrative up.  I can see the spin coming - Elko is at the top of their wish list, but he decided to stay in CS because it’s so great at ATM. 

Elko has one month left of being considered an elite DC. He has to know with what aggy loses in their front 7 next year that their run defense is about to be as bad as their pass defense. If he doesn't get the Temple job, he ought to try replacing Diaz in Miami. Or maybe call up James Madison.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Elko has one month left of being considered an elite DC. He has to know with what aggy loses in their front 7 next year that their run defense is about to be as bad as their pass defense. If he doesn't get the Temple job, he ought to try replacing Diaz in Miami. Or maybe call up James Madison.

And that 'elite' status is already in question.  aggy was 75th in points-per-play defensively in 2017.  In 2019 that rank dropped to 93rd.

Jimbo's 1950's ball control snails pace offense was just as responsible for their decrease in points-per-game allowed as anything Elko did.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

And that 'elite' status is already in question.  aggy was 75th in points-per-play defensively in 2017.  In 2019 that rank dropped to 93rd.

Jimbo's 1950's ball control snails pace offense was just as responsible for their decrease in points-per-game allowed as anything Elko did.

"maybe"

Their TOP was second overall last year.  So you are spot on about that.

NCAA stats

But, as far as total offense, they ranked 20th, and 29th in scoring offense.  They were putting up points.  Compare that to a 36th rated total defense and a 58th rated scoring defense.  What's misleading is they rarely faced opponents that were not able to capitalize on their weak, weak secondary.  You also had that 7OT game (which I'm assumes counts toward their totals) which was basically an extra game in terms of points scored and allowed (40+ points scored and allowed in OT)?

Next year they are going to be get lit up and it's not even close.  I think their offense will score points, but not at a pace to keep up with their struggling defense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The unsigned contract issue sounds to me like something fishy rather than just incompetent. I wonder what could be gained or hidden if the coaches are paid without having a signed contract.

Just sounds like a slick idea the Aggies might have that blows up in their face.

Coaches coaching without signing their contracts, as bizarre as it sounds, pretty commonplace from what I've seen over the years. Seems to come up once or twice a year that so and so never signed his contract, etc. 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

"maybe"

Their TOP was second overall last year.  So you are spot on about that.

NCAA stats

But, as far as total offense, they ranked 20th, and 29th in scoring offense.  They were putting up points.  Compare that to a 36th rated total defense and a 58th rated scoring defense.  What's misleading is they rarely faced opponents that were not able to capitalize on their weak, weak secondary.  You also had that 7OT game (which I'm assumes counts toward their totals) which was basically an extra game in terms of points scored and allowed (40+ points scored and allowed in OT)?

Next year they are going to be get lit up and it's not even close.  I think their offense will score points, but not at a pace to keep up with their struggling defense.

The sucesss of their offenses will be dependent on what happens with Sternberger and Williams. Their boards thought both were leaving early a week or so ago. 

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

The sucesss of their offenses will be dependent on what happens with Sternberger and Williams. Their boards thought both were leaving early a week or so ago. 

TW is long gone.  Even the uber-gomers see the short shelf-life of backs these days and admit he's probably leaving.  Don't forget about their center McCoy either.  He'd be a HUGE loss.  

• Like 1

No doubt. I definitely think they will see a drop off defensively much like Orlando did in year 2 after losing Elliott, Poona, Malik and Hill. 

They actually have some talent in the front 7 but most of it’s gone. 

aggy was pretty damn lucky this year with injuries too. Limited depth and I don’t think they had one serious injury. Maybe Hines but he was still a rotation guy. 

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

thankfully, i've been assured on here that daylon mack, kingsley keke, landis durham and otaro alaka all suck, so i'm guessing we should be in good shape. 

28 minutes ago, bizzle said:

thankfully, i've been assured on here that daylon mack, kingsley keke, landis durham and otaro alaka all suck, so i'm guessing we should be in good shape. 

Most people have said Keke and Alaka are good. Durham is undersized but a decent player. 

Mack is fat and his production at A&M never matched his recruiting ranking or perceived talent level. 

4 hours ago, Terry Silver said:

$2.1M was just the aggy offer.  I'm sure Elko counter offered with a huge amount knowing they had no choice but to play ball.

Fools and their money are soon parted...

To further demonstrate that point,  they'll just have to sell some extra maroon fake dog turds with the aTm logo and some t-shirts to compensate for the expenditure 

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

2ost5d.jpg

Including the raise, I believe two of the 3 highest paid dcs in the country were involved in that final score, right?

I've never built a house, but what I've heard is that you have to be careful with your budget because the fact that a) you're already dealing with unusually large numbers and b) the money comes from a loan and not your account both make you more willing to say yes to a thousand little upgrades that you probably don't need or care about.  Along the way you lose sight of the fact that $50k in small upgrades is still $50k, regardless of the overall transaction amount that might make it seem relatively small.

Feels like that's what aggy is doing with their coaches at this point.  The numbers are already so astronomically inflated that tossing Elko $300k on a whim felt like nothing, ignoring that they could have cut $500k off of his old salary to get a damn good DC and saved themselves $800k/year. 

48 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Including the raise, I believe two of the 3 highest paid dcs in the country were involved in that final score, right?

I've never built a house, but what I've heard is that you have to be careful with your budget because the fact that a) you're already dealing with unusually large numbers and b) the money comes from a loan and not your account both make you more willing to say yes to a thousand little upgrades that you probably don't need or care about.  Along the way you lose sight of the fact that $50k in small upgrades is still $50k, regardless of the overall transaction amount that might make it seem relatively small.

Feels like that's what aggy is doing with their coaches at this point.  The numbers are already so astronomically inflated that tossing Elko $300k on a whim felt like nothing, ignoring that they could have cut $500k off of his old salary to get a damn good DC and saved themselves $800k/year. 

The upgrades are easier to tolerate when you're on the water and looking at another fantastic sunset. In this case, you're looking at a bunch of singles and double-wides.