Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Spoiler

Exploring Signing Day scenarios

Liucci

12:06a, 12/17/18

Staff

AG

Wydermyer and Blades were two commits we knew were coming but, outside of that, the Aggies have been keeping everyone who follows or covers them on their toes...and it seems to be getting more interesting by the day. It feels like things are changing with every phone call I make to sources or anytime Howell, Brauny and I compare notes over the past 48 hours or so.

The Dynamic Duo have done a great job of keeping you guys up to speed but, even with no more than 2-3 spots (barring any January movement) remaining, this thing is starting to feel like one of those 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books I used to tear through when I was nerding out as an 80s kid. So let's see how things could shake out between now and Wednesday and then even through January:

It starts with two prospects who could very well sign with Texas A&M on Wednesday. Neither is guaranteed to ink with the Ags, but four-star Florida defensive lineman Derick Hunter and Dekaney CB Marcus Banks are the two to watch.

Derick Hunter: Things looking better and better for the Ags here, as word out of Florida is that the four-star defender is looking like a good bet to sign with A&M on Wednesday. The 6-4, 285-pounder would be a monster late get for the Ags and recruiters Jay Graham and Elijah Robinson.

Marcus Banks: The athletic cover man has options that include Florida, FSU, A&M, LSU and perhaps even Bama. He'll announce in early January at the US Army Bowl but is likely to ink with someone during the Early Signing Period. If I were calling a shot today, I'd still choose the Maroon & White but this one isn't a guarantee.

For the sake of losing our minds with possible scenarios, let's look at how things could play out in January if the Ags were to add Banks and Hunter to the class prior to the New Year.

That would put the Ags right at the magic number of 26 but let's assume that Fisher and Co. end up with a single scholarship to work with in January. If that's so, and the Ags are able to squeeze a January addition into the mix, it's either going to be a 'best available' type or one more linebacker.

In thinking about 'best available' scenario, we're probably talking about David Ugwoegbu, Ismael Sopsher (longshot), Javonne Shepherd or Ainias Smith. The two best bets would seem to be Ugwoegbu - though the odds of him ending up an Aggie probably diminished once he made the decision to sign in February since the Ags could very well be full at that time - or a possible surprise flip by Shepherd from Texas to A&M.

The other possible scenario here would be the Ags adding either Devonta Lee (Amite, LA), Nick Jackson (Atlanta, GA), Chris Russell (Dyersburg, TN) or Tye Edwards (St. Augustine, FL) to the Class of 2019 as a fifth linebacker. It's also worth noting that Ugwoegbu is looking more and more like an outside linebacker than a true defensive end so you could technically include him in this group.

And what if the Ags landed only one of the two out of Banks or Hunter? That's when I think you're quite likely to see A&M go with one more 'backer plus the best available. I think this scenario does bring guys like Ainias Smith (another who it may turn out simply waited too long after having a committable offer for months) and fast-rising Georgia corner Jay Ward (if he doesn't sign with LSU on Wednesday) legitimately into play.

As far as Wednesday surprises go, I'm really not expecting any activity outside of Hunter or Banks, but the Ags are working on some longshots behind the scenes. If any type of curveball is thrown, it's probably coming in the form of someone like Ugwoegbu or Smith (or even Shepherd) changing their mind and deciding to sign early rather than wait until February. Again, this is unlikely but I guess more of a possibility than Nakobe Dean (the five-star LB is rumored to be headed to Georgia) or New York pass-rusher Adisa Isaac (likely Penn State-bound) shocking the recruiting world and Gigging 'em.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

aggy sure seems to be doing a fair amount of OOS recruiting for a group claiming in state dominance and questioning the amount of OOS recruiting Texas is doing. 

They always adjust and change that narrative week to week. Depending on if they win or lose, and how they are recruiting vs. Texas at that moment in time.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The Texags company line when Mack was kicking their ass all over the place in recruiting was that Rivals (which was pretty much everyone used back then) overrated Texas recruits and underrated their recruits.  They never not once said we were recruiting better.  Ever.  

Now we know what the excuse will be for 2020 when we have a better class.

Just now, Lobwedgephil said:

They are mentioning this on the ministry also, pretty sure this is just aggy trying to convince their users their qb commit doesn't suck. If he really does have a committable offer, he would be gone. 

Yeah, I would be shocked if Calzada is Georgia's fall-back option.

8 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yea I’m sure Georgia is tripping over themselves for the 50% completion rate of Calzada. Didn’t he have some ridiculous statline of something like 2 completions for 30 yards with 4 picks in one of his games earlier this year?

this is a&m trying to drum up an SEC recruiting win.

This is Georgia looking for last minute depth for the QB pipeline 

(Brian Perroni) Texas A&M Early Signing Period: Last-minute insider notes

- Texas A&M currently has 24 commitments in the class of 2019. I have detailed what is going on with quarterback Zach Calzada on another thread but, other than possibly him, there should not be any hiccups tomorrow with the current class. Everyone but Josh Ellison and Braedon Mowry are expected to sign.

- The closer we get to Wednesday, the more things are beginning to look like it will indeed be A&M for Fort Myers (Fla.) Dunbar four-star defensive end Derick Hunter. Though Hunter is currently a Florida State commit, this one is pretty much an A&M/Florida battle. Though the 6-foot-5, 285-pound defender has given both schools reason for serious optimism, there have now been two other programs outside those two that say they believe he will choose the Aggies. I would still caution you to temper your optimism a bit, but it looks like A&M is in line to land a very, very talented defender.

- A&M had an unofficial visitor this past weekend in Fort Bend Dulles athlete Ainias Smith. He officialed to Aggieland two weeks ago and then to Duke the weekend after before spending Saturday in College Station. As of Tuesday afternoon, Smith does not plan to sign early. I’m honestly not sure how the numbers would work but it was interesting that he was in town for the second time in two weeks. Smith says both A&M and Duke sent him NLIs to sign should he want to. Even if Smith had to decide tomorrow, it is not for sure he would choose A&M. He likes Duke a lot with both the academics and the depth chart.

- Houston North Forest four-star offensive tackle Javonne Shepherd tweeted – and then subsequently deleted – something about possibly having news tomorrow. It caused a lot of speculation, not just from fans but also from colleges. There is the possibility that Shepherd signs with Texas tomorrow but even that is not a guarantee at this point.

- There is still a possibility that Spring Dekaney four-star cornerback Marcus Banks sends an NLI somewhere tomorrow and asks the school to sit on it, but I don’t think he will end up signing early. Banks plans to make his announcement at the All-American Bowl on Jan. 5 and A&M is still in good shape. However, the numbers could get interesting there as well should there only be one spot left after tomorrow.

- Though it is not the class of 2019, I just had an interesting conversation on 2020 wideout Demond Demas. The five-star wide receiver was up at A&M yet again this past weekend for an unofficial visit. Despite Demas visiting some other places after making his commitment to the Aggies in September, he has grown happier and happier with his decision. A prospect of his caliber will continue to be recruited by every school in the country until he signs next year, but it was interest to hear about how content he is with his decision. “He loves it up there. He loves Jimbo. He loves everything about it. I don’t see him going anywhere.”