The Cloak Room is not so bad.

mchookem

Forget CR, can't even keep a thread about CR from going to trash. 

Again, it starts when people start trying to insult/attack someone individually or as part of a group instead of the topic.

🎵 I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round 🎵

18 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Forget CR, can't even keep a thread about CR from going to trash. 

Again, it starts when people start trying to insult/attack someone individually or as part of a group instead of the topic.

🎵 I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round 🎵

Slorch'd!

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Slorch'd!

Hell, even "Slorch'd" is a personal attack that's going to get someone stirred up and defensive.

And yes, he threw out some sort of insult, which was immediately followed by another poster throwing out insults back at him and then it all turns to shit. 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Hell, even "Slorch'd" is a personal attack that's going to get someone stirred up and defensive.

And yes, he threw out some sort of insult, which was immediately followed by another poster throwing out insults back at him and then it all turns to shit. 

I seem to recall you are a newer ish poster, but slorch has been this way for decades. It's a meme at this point.

I will also say I think slorch is a standup dude. It's more amusing than anything when he goes down these holes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Would this be like a Jack Handey situation...?

"And now...Impersonal Pronouns" by Surly Horns..." 

"When I was growing up, politics were best left unsaid.  Then IT got weird, and THEY got mean, and THE debate got Slorch'd." 

I have no idea who he is in real life.  Could be an axe murderer, could be the Panhandle equivalent of Mother Teresa.  But on here, he at least digitally comes across as a standup guy.  At least he engages in robust political debate.  He doesn't just driveby with "Trump is the greatest President ever" and then get cuntingly shocked when people question it. .  He brings a different view to the table, I appreciate it.  I used to come at political discourse on this site from a markedly different angle.  You get older, maybe not wiser, and just realize that our species wasn't seeking out information or truth, they were seeking safe places to mentally hide.  He's comfortable outside his comfort zone, something I strive to be every single day as a father.  Life's fucking weird, that's why goofballs like us of all stripes migrate towards one another.  

• Like 1

I agree with that except for the idea that he engages in robust political debate or even has a perspective, really. I think he’s a decent guy and I know he doesn’t give a shit what I think, and I do admire his ability to not let these interactions bleed into his interactions across the board - I respect that a lot.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I agree with that except for the idea that he engages in robust political debate or even has a perspective, really. I think he’s a decent guy and I know he doesn’t give a shit what I think, and I do admire his ability to not let these interactions bleed into his interactions across the board - I respect that a lot.

From what I recall, he used to before the social conditioning that is reflexive disagreement with earnest disagreement via said robust political debate and/or an opposing point of view. He, like most folks who enjoy the football and lifestyle discussions on this board, have self-censored. 

25 minutes ago, safe sex said:

If you bring facts and good faith discussion, there's no need to self-censor. Jfc the persecution complex that exists. 

I think the issue is that when you get a personal brand here (or, pun intended, reputation), fairly or unfairly, then the labeling of "good faith" becomes really subjective. Posters who are CR heavy or specific are unique from the posters in other parts of the board in that there seems to be a desire to bend backwards to want to keep hating you because you offended them somewhere, on some thread, at some point, some time ago. 

The safest approach from what I've found if you enjoy the sports and lifestyle aspects of the board and like engaging, and was positing that maybe Slorch has found this true too which is why Celery said he didn't engage in robust political discussion or have a political perspective, is to stay below the radar and if you post in CR, post objective facts and don't delve too deep into personal analysis and opinion if it differs from the main group.

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

post objective facts and don't delve too deep into personal analysis and opinion if it differs from the main group.

You can post an opinion that differs from the “group”, but it doesn’t mean it will go unchallenged. That goes for any topic on this site. Have you read the movie threads? Or food threads? Sweet Christ, some people post some horrible opinions, and are lambasted for them. Only in CR do people get their feelings hurt and complain about it. Why is that? 

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You can post an opinion that differs from the “group”, but it doesn’t mean it will go unchallenged. That goes for any topic on this site. Have you read the movie threads? Or food threads? Sweet Christ, some people post some horrible opinions, and are lambasted for them. Only in CR do people get their feelings hurt and complain about it. Why is that? 

Because people take contrary opinions and beliefs to their political beliefs as personal. Which I kind of understand to a point-- sometimes their whole perceived identity and lifestyles and how they fundamentally view themselves and the world are tied up with these political and personal beliefs.

Generally in other topics, nobody cares about the topics so much to be hateful. The only other thread where I saw people having a conniption fit over a contrary opinion were the people lashed out and gnashed their teeth and wept at people who didn't like Ted Lasso s2 as much as s1. You'd have thought those people's mothers were writers and brothers were producers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Generally in other topics, nobody cares about the topics so much to be hateful

Hell, sounds like you haven't been to the football board lately.

I do agree with you that people have wrapped up their whole identity in politics to our great detriment. It's basically become a stand in for sports

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I do agree with you that people have wrapped up their whole identity in politics to our great detriment. It's basically become a stand in for sports

Oh 100% on Football threads and opinions. I was referring to the question as why the lifestyle boards (Movies/TV, Music, Help Me, Travel, etc.) don't draw the same ire.

There is a reason that you get the general feedback that the Football board and Cloak Room are both hell pits compared to the other boards. They are emotionally the same thing (Pam from the Office same thing meme)

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I do agree with you that people have wrapped up their whole identity in politics to our great detriment. It's basically become a stand in for sports self worth.

So close

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, G650 said:

No shit. On the football board, you can get away with hateful homophobic slurs because you're pissed that a team from 🌈SAN FRANCISCO🏳️‍🌈 won a fucking football game on the same page that the site's owner is also actively posting and not get called out (even after that post had been reported). Of course, calling that poster out might be considered "toxic" by some.

I guess we're not so serious about expanding the appeal of the site to younger, more gay-friendly generations after all, and are simply content to let them continue to flock to the most popular place on the entire internet to discuss the sport, Reddit, instead where that type of language is actually faithfully moderated.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/33655-each-generation’s-high-school-movie/#comments

Example of a great thread, actually belonging to you, that contains very good discussion of movies and debate across defining generations and even genres. 300+ posts from people across diverse backgrounds with a very wide variety of takes... yet no hurt feeling confirmations or bullying.  No demeaning attacks.  No bullshit tactics.  You won't find that in CR.

Why is that?  Because that environment is not desired by a significant faction of posters who participate in CR.

Edited by slorch

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/33655-each-generation’s-high-school-movie/#comments

Example of a great thread, actually belonging to you, that contains very good discussion of movies and debate across defining generations and even genres. 300+ posts from people across diverse backgrounds with a very wide variety of takes... yet no hurt feeling confirmations or bullying.  No demeaning attacks.  No bullshit tactics.  You won't find that in CR.

Why is that?

Because the topic of that thread isn't "women and children drowned by the state of Texas in 2024"? And the disagreements are over opinion and not matters of legal fact like if the state has been blocking federal officers from accessing a drowning mother and children on the US/Mexico border. 

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Because that environment is not desired by a significant faction of posters who participate in CR.

Sorry that you don't like to talk about facts? Maybe stick to sports or something? Idk man. You're incorrigible. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why is that?

Because there are no stakes in movie opinions. CR topics involve real people's lives and livelihoods.

• Hook 'Em 4

The correct answer is movie opinions, food opinions, music opinions, and sports opinions do not affect other people. Opining that you like chili with beans doesn’t affect anyone except your shitty tastebuds. 

Opining that women should be forced to carry an unviable fetus to term or immigrants should not be treated like human beings means you’re a piece of shit because these opinions hurt other people. 

• Hook 'Em 5

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I like beans in chili. 

(Actually I don’t care one way or the other). 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bolverk said:

No shit. On the football board, you can get away with hateful homophobic slurs because you're pissed that a team from 🌈SAN FRANCISCO🏳️‍🌈 won a fucking football game on the same page that the site's owner is also actively posting and not get called out (even after that post had been reported). Of course, calling that poster out might be considered "toxic" by some.

I guess we're not so serious about expanding the appeal of the site to younger, more gay-friendly generations after all, and are simply content to let them continue to flock to the most popular place on the entire internet to discuss the sport, Reddit, instead where that type of language is actually faithfully moderated.

Coincidentally, I was in SF this weekend playing golf at Cal Club on Sunday, and at the turn I grabbed a transfusion at the bar. On the 10th tee the caddie asked me what I was drinking. When I told him he said, “oh, a tranny”?  Since I had to spend the next two hours with him I replied, “that’s not very politically correct.”  If he had said that on here I would have ripped him a new hole. 

/csb

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

When I told him he said, “oh, a tranny”?  Since I had to spend the next two hours with him I replied, that’s not very politically correct.”  If he had said that on here I would have ripped him a new hole.

image.gif.b052ea353790221eb50f36f00507e579.gif

On 1/19/2024 at 10:21 AM, royiv said:

It cracks me up that the tough guy snowflakes are the ones who need and receive special treatment to protect their feelings. I thought they were supposed to be the fuck your feelings crowd.

Those poor boys are just too high strung. They're no daisies at all. 

49 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I'd drink the fuck out of that

That sounds refreshing as hell. Had never heard of it before, but I want to try one.

So the drink whose shorthand is called "A Tranny" invented at a men's only private golf club with no women/trans folks are allowed, where the Cosmopolitan for the wives in the dining room was abbreviated to "a Cosmo" and now there's a "Tranny" for Transfusion cocktail misunderstanding?  And you folks don't think we live inside a computer?  mmmkay

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Coincidentally, I was in SF this weekend playing golf at Cal Club on Sunday, and at the turn I grabbed a transfusion at the bar. On the 10th tee the caddie asked me what I was drinking. When I told him he said, “oh, a tranny”?  Since I had to spend the next two hours with him I replied, “that’s not very politically correct.”  If he had said that on here I would have ripped him a new hole. 

/csb

Stunning.

And brave.

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 9:46 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I would be damn proud if my name became an inside surly joke. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:24 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

I would be damn proud if my name became an inside surly joke. 

Well 'Slorch'd' just means you dared reply to the cabal with a dissenting opinion, while the cabal insists it does not exist within its own self-anointed objectivity.  Hell, here lately, it just means you might have replied at all in their playground, even with a post that most of them agree with.  Abortion thread, I'm looking at you.  I call out an idiot politician for being wildly inconsistent and most of the posters get it.  The illiterate one just saw my name and did their usual seizure though.

Edited by slorch