The Cloak Room is not so bad.

mchookem

After two decent sized novellas from imma and Hayden I'm still baffled. I wanted to say I feel like I'm taking crazy pills but Fantana beat me to the punch.

Obviously troll comes and trolls, people say hey you are a troll. This is an issue because imma knows the guy?

I think Imma got the reaction he did because he was validating LHL's performative victimhood, which has really become a fucking drag on discussions in general. Any time someone gets pushback, they have a lazy out to just say "boo hoo mean old CR slime" and the site owners take them seriously. 

It's enabled so much bad faith posting and echo chamber crap because everyone has decided that "the CR must be bad because everyone says it is", and it's used to shut down discussion when folks are just too lazy to defend their lazy positions 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think Imma got the reaction he did because he was validating LHL's performative victimhood, which has really become a fucking drag on discussions in general. Any time someone gets pushback, they have a lazy out to just say "boo hoo mean old CR slime" and the site owners take them seriously. 

It's enabled so much bad faith posting and echo chamber crap because everyone has decided that "the CR must be bad because everyone says it is", and it's used to shut down discussion when folks are just too lazy to defend their lazy positions 

He not only validated it, he labeled everyone who called LHL out on it toxic.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

the main problem is that we have a larger civility problem in this country. we talk past each other too much, without realizing that someone is on the other side of that equation

This is the most poignant point made thus far. It is an issue, and most likely the underlying reason for any pushback. I am extremely guilty of this and need to do a better job. 

The genesis of this phenomenon, at least in my understanding, is that certain people have revealed themselves to be complete monsters, specifically towards treating others as human beings or showing any sense of compassion. It’s not just disheartening, it’s depressing. This isn’t just a message board thing either. This phenomenon affects every aspect of real life. Therefore, any previous or normal level of civility or benefit of the doubt given has been exhausted due to repeated displays of horribleness. There was a certain shared baseline of commonality, and it’s been revealed to not exist at certain levels. People are exhausted. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I think outside of the context where it was raised here, the idea that people should be more open and less assholish in the cloak room would probably be generally supported. It’s complicated to do that in general because of what has happened with political discourse in general as well as the weaponization of misinformation in social media generally, and the general fatigue from the societal breakdown since Trump was elected in general. But it is bad, like a bad marriage full of resentment wherever the blame lies.

• Like 1

Just read through that thread again. My take is that everyone is a little right and everyone is a little wrong.

- I think LonghornLove brings up some decent points to make, but his mistake is mentioning some weirdo "Right Scoop" headline about DHS lying. When you're in the minority on the board, know that people are going to look for anything to argue against it. That source sticks out like a sore thumb. The other links he posted were from solid sources for discussion but it was too late. 

- There is definitely dogpiling in CR.

- Dogpiling on thoughts or ideas isn't bad imo, but inevitably it turns into insults or personal attacks (from regular posters and LonghornLove), which makes everyone defensive, bitchy, and attack back:

• "You need help getting dressed in the morning, don't you?"
  • "Is this link good enough for you or do you get all your "real" info second or third hand on X?"
  • "I'll bet he doesn't come back to this thread at all now that I've pointed out his lie. If he does, it will be to whine (with absolutely no self awareness) about how mean and unfair we are to uncharitably characterize an honest mistake as a lie."
  • "You people actually deserve the slimy reputation of the CR. Aren't you the creepy bastard that threatened to dox me and send people to my house?
  • "Your reading skills don't appear to have improved."
  • Keep digging into my posting history creep. I didn't even look and see what you posted.
  • LLL's lack of personal growth is sort of depressing. 
  • Your whiny victimhood complex is unbecoming. 

- Imma tried to help defuse things, and the first post seemed pretty good. It was essentially "knock it off."

- The issue is that Imma then got insulted/attacked, got defensive, and attacked back, which just stirred things up even more instead of settling them down.

I think the solution is that you've got to take the insults and personal attacks out of CR.  (And yes, a blanket statement that "you're all being toxic!" fits in with that.) It just begs for a reaction and that's where it turns from a discussion of the topic to bullshit mud-slinging. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Grown men not being able to handle being insulted on an anonymous Internet forum is wild.

It's not a matter of being able to handle it. If someone attacks you, it's natural to want to attack back. That sends shit off the rails.

51 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just read through that thread again. My take is that everyone is a little right and everyone is a little wrong.

- I think LonghornLove brings up some decent points to make, but his mistake is mentioning some weirdo "Right Scoop" headline about DHS lying. When you're in the minority on the board, know that people are going to look for anything to argue against it. That source sticks out like a sore thumb. The other links he posted were from solid sources for discussion but it was too late. 

- There is definitely dogpiling in CR.

- Dogpiling on thoughts or ideas isn't bad imo, but inevitably it turns into insults or personal attacks (from regular posters and LonghornLove), which makes everyone defensive, bitchy, and attack back:

• "You need help getting dressed in the morning, don't you?"
  • "Is this link good enough for you or do you get all your "real" info second or third hand on X?"
  • "I'll bet he doesn't come back to this thread at all now that I've pointed out his lie. If he does, it will be to whine (with absolutely no self awareness) about how mean and unfair we are to uncharitably characterize an honest mistake as a lie."
  • "You people actually deserve the slimy reputation of the CR. Aren't you the creepy bastard that threatened to dox me and send people to my house?
  • "Your reading skills don't appear to have improved."
  • Keep digging into my posting history creep. I didn't even look and see what you posted.
  • LLL's lack of personal growth is sort of depressing. 
  • Your whiny victimhood complex is unbecoming. 

- Imma tried to help defuse things, and the first post seemed pretty good. It was essentially "knock it off."

- The issue is that Imma then got insulted/attacked, got defensive, and attacked back, which just stirred things up even more instead of settling them down.

I think the solution is that you've got to take the insults and personal attacks out of CR.  (And yes, a blanket statement that "you're all being toxic!" fits in with that.) It just begs for a reaction and that's where it turns from a discussion of the topic to bullshit mud-slinging. 

WOW look. It’s what actually happened. 

I’ll add that my posts are specifically different because I’m the only owner of the entire site and community. My opinion isn’t more valuable and doesn’t have more weight, but it’s based on a lot more than what i think personally as an individual poster or participant in a conversation sometimes. I don’t often go full mod/owner and this was one of those instances where people wanted to just troll like I was some asshole participant because they were actually just so toxic they couldn’t help themselves when I clearly just wanted the fucking thread back on the rails and the temperature turned down. None of this is complicated. Stop being mean dickheads and he funny dickheads. 

haha assholes > shitty assholes

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The other links he posted were from solid sources for discussion but it was too late. 

I broadly agree with what the essence of your post is saying - but even when bringing other links, LHL was materially misrepresenting what those links said and doubling and tripling down. He would not listen to people pointing out what LHLs links said the opposite of what he claimed, and so people ratcheted up. He moved from one hollow assertion to another, and people replied to each failed assertion in kind. He even admitted that he did not plan to participate in a discussion and just wanted to stir the pot. 

It would be dog piling if it was 3 pages of everyone quoting the same post and repeating the same thing. It's not dog piling to reply to the false assertions that someone makes as they make them. 

I just don't understand using this dude as your example case, imma. He was not, by his own admission, there to be a "funny dickhead" or to actually talk about the issue. Just to be a dickhead. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I broadly agree with what the essence of your post is saying - but even when bringing other links, LHL was materially misrepresenting what those links said and doubling and tripling down. He would not listen to people pointing out what LHLs links said the opposite of what he claimed, and so people ratcheted up. He moved from one hollow assertion to another, and people replied to each failed assertion in kind. He even admitted that he did not plan to participate in a discussion and just wanted to stir the pot. 

It would be dog piling if it was 3 pages of everyone quoting the same post and repeating the same thing. It's not dog piling to reply to the false assertions that someone makes as they make them. 

I just don't understand using this dude as your example case, imma. He was not, by his own admission, there to be a "funny dickhead" or to actually talk about the issue. Just to be a dickhead. 

I’m talking about things way beyond the context of that specific thread or thing and none of you can wrap your brains around it for some reason. I don’t give a shit about any of these specific examples I give a shit that this is what happens all the time and I saw it this time. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I’m talking about things way beyond the context of that specific thread or thing and none of you can wrap your brains around it for some reason. I don’t give a shit about any of these specific examples I give a shit that this is what happens all the time and I saw it this time. 

This is exactly the sort of stuff the sets people off and turns things into a cluster. Just tossing out insults stirs people up.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This is exactly the sort of stuff the sets people off and turns things into a cluster. Just tossing out insults stirs people up.

Exactly. Imma keeps calling others toxic while being toxic himself. The lack of self awareness is breathtaking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

Exactly. Imma keeps calling others toxic while being toxic himself. The lack of self awareness is breathtaking. 

Do I need to actually ban you so you know the difference between us on the board? If I have to do that so you understand just lmk. It’s not toxic, I’m frustrated because it’s actually posters like you that are the problem not me. I am trying to fix the issue and you constantly keep throwing shit as if I’m just some rando drive by in a thread with an opinion. 

if it’s not clear enough from that: It is actually my job/responsibility to fix this issue.

you are just some person who posts here, you have neither the power nor the desire (as shown in the discussion) to fix it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

Do I need to actually ban you so you know the difference between us on the board? If I have to do that so you understand just lmk. It’s not toxic, I’m frustrated because it’s actually posters like you that are the problem not me. I am trying to fix the issue and you constantly keep throwing shit as if I’m just some rando drive by in a thread with an opinion. 

if it’s not clear enough from that: It is actually my job/responsibility to fix this issue.

you are just some person who posts here, you have neither the power nor the desire (as shown in the discussion) to fix it. 

There's a way to go about what you're trying to do without talking down to people and literally calling them entitled children. I see what you're trying to do and agree with the goal. I just think you could make some changes to how you're going about it that would be more effective and well received. I know it's a hard job and the pay sucks.  We all know it's difficult to change ingrained cultures. I'm merely suggesting to treat people with respect 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, royiv said:

There's a way to go about what you're trying to do without talking down to people and literally calling them entitled children. I see what you're trying to do and agree with the goal. I just think you could make some changes to how you're going about it that would be more effective and well received. I know it's a hard job and the pay sucks.  We all know it's difficult to change ingrained cultures. I'm merely suggesting to treat people with respect 

In addition, perhaps the word or another word and the look (hands placed on hips) you're searching for is

Tone.

Hard to read in text sometimes, and I like to give people the benny of the doubty most times.

Sometimes one finds that disengaging can be difficult but that feeling really does go away after awhile. (Um, yeah, phrasing)

Or surly humor can break the mood. But sometimes it's too soon.

LOLz.  This thread.  One of the most churlish, condescending motherfuckers on this board is pontificating about treating others with respect.

Jerry Jones wants to give up control of the Dallas Cowboys before Cloakies want Cloak Room "fixed."  The behavior is engrained because it is what their politics demand.  There is no debate.  No discussion. There is no counterpoint.  If we disagree( and your facts must be ours that we have already predetermined to be facts,) well my friend, then it is time for shout downs, bombing runs, personal attacks, and ad hominem insults.  None of which have made me leave the community itself after 16 years, but yeah, generally speaking, fuck Cloak Room.

I post actively in many forums across the board.  Why is the bullshit limited to Cloakroom?  You know why...

facts are demonstrable, the idea that debating them and demanding honest engagement in their debate is toxic or mean is what this discussion started from and is literally why so many people were having a hard time wrapping their heads around imma’s issue that people in CR are too nasty, generally. Demanding to bring your own facts and refusing to support them is peak entitlement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It's really something else how some folks think that misrepresenting and occasionally making up your own facts is a "difference in opinion". You're right slorch, theres not much debate to be had when the thing being disagreed upon is what "is", and the opposing voice has no reasoning or supporting info besides "it just IS!!" Nevermind any court findings or multiple verified reports from journalistic outlets that are equivocated with some opinion piece from an extremist outlet. 

The Internet has been fucking awash with disinformation, and surly was particularly awful with it during COVID and the 2020 summer of love through Jan 6 when it peaked and the worst offenders finally started catching bans for their repeated bullshit posting.

There was SUCH a distinct pattern and behavior of "well this link says I'm right so I'm gonna ignore EVERYTHING else". I think that history is a major part of what fueled everyone's reaction - we've seen that shit before, and it's never been in good faith. 

• Hook 'Em 4

It's really something else how some folks think that misrepresenting and occasionally making up your own facts is a "difference in opinion". You're right slorch, theres not much debate to be had when the thing being disagreed upon is what "is", and the opposing voice has no reasoning or supporting info besides "it just IS!!" Nevermind any court findings or multiple verified reports from journalistic outlets that are equivocated with some opinion piece from an extremist outlet. 
The Internet has been fucking awash with disinformation, and surly was particularly awful with it during COVID and the 2020 summer of love through Jan 6 when it peaked and the worst offenders finally started catching bans for their repeated bullshit posting.
There was SUCH a distinct pattern and behavior of "well this link says I'm right so I'm gonna ignore EVERYTHING else". I think that history is a major part of what fueled everyone's reaction - we've seen that shit before, and it's never been in good faith. 

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jingtingler said:

I went in cloak room once and two weeks later the doctors found concentrated AIDS in my ass draw your own conclusions

Your an idiot. Everyone with a brain knows that CR is for oral use only.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

LOLz.  This thread.  One of the most churlish, condescending motherfuckers on this board is pontificating about treating others with respect.

Jerry Jones wants to give up control of the Dallas Cowboys before Cloakies want Cloak Room "fixed."  The behavior is engrained because it is what their politics demand.  There is no debate.  No discussion. There is no counterpoint.  If we disagree( and your facts must be ours that we have already predetermined to be facts,) well my friend, then it is time for shout downs, bombing runs, personal attacks, and ad hominem insults.  None of which have made me leave the community itself after 16 years, but yeah, generally speaking, fuck Cloak Room.

I post actively in many forums across the board.  Why is the bullshit limited to Cloakroom?  You know why...

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

and our usual triggered snowflake chimes in with the confirmation of her inadequacy.

Love it.

7avavn.jpg

Edited by slorch

So something I learned with this whole on Texas football thing in doing is we can have a seamless connection between 2 separate boards so the forum root looks the same but cloak room is actually just its own board. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

So something I learned with this whole on Texas football thing in doing is we can have a seamless connection between 2 separate boards so the forum root looks the same but cloak room is actually just its own board. 

I think this would be a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

You're not only a hateful moron, you're a bitch ass pussy that went so insane over rep numbers on an internet message board, you had to create multiple accounts to cope with it. You're possibly the most easily triggered person on this entire board. It's absolutely hilarious watching you project constantly.

no fucking shit. it's embarrassing as fuck

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

You're not only a hateful moron, you're a bitch ass pussy that went so insane over rep numbers on an internet message board, you had to create multiple accounts to cope with it. You're possibly the most easily triggered person on this entire board. It's absolutely hilarious watching you project constantly.

LOLz.  You people lost your mind over a sock account that didn't matter worth a fuck.  But to you it did, because imaginary internet points matter... to you.

Point totally proven, whether you like it or not.  the fact that you still bring it up, says it resonated with your internet being.  LOL.  Negs matter, except when they don't...until they do.  Gotdammit!  Take our rage!!!

and I/m not hateful to anyone who doesn't start it first.  But y'all like to start shit...and then get all bewildered that someone dared to answer back. I'm still here, bro.   Post what ya got.  and run from what you fear.  As it is, enjoy your little playground.  It is what you want it to be, and that's perfectly cool.  The denial is the payoff though...

Bottom line is that I don't back off of any topic with any poster, contrary to what you think sounds good,

Bring it motherfucker...

Edited by slorch