TrashMaster G

I was there. Travelled with a bunch of guys who were seniors at the time. One guy - who was always dead-ass broke - made the journey without a ticket. In the days leading up to the game, he was confidently telling everyone he was just going to sneak into the game. We all laughed. As we waited to enter with our tickets, he peeled off and said "see you guys inside." When we finally made it in, he was already inside sitting in our seats.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

No joke.  He must not have been following the team very closely that year and I question whether he was even really a Longhorn fan.  

When USC took a 12 point lead with 6 minutes left, I calmly turned to my buddies and said, “I’d like to welcome y’all to the Vince Young show.”  And we proceeded to watch the climactic closing act of the greatest college football game ever played.  You know the rest.

I'll never forget the TV announcers talking about giving the MVP to Reggie Bush at about the 6:28 mark.  The wife and I smirked a little, looked at one another and shrugged. 

Just thinking about it, and it's getting dusty in here . . . those next  6 or so minutes.  Every damned time I watch 4th and 5. 

Our oldest was about 5 months old and asleep in the next room.  Suffice it to say, the noise woke him up. 

KONICA-MINOLTA-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

The game in Columbus that year is a somewhat distant second. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hpslugga said:

That’s the most overblown aspect of the game and it’s really just something ESPN had to talk about.

Putting Bush in the game wouldn’t have done anything for them. He was held to a double digit rushing total and they really didn’t give give him a whole lot of touches in the second half precisely because White was killing Texas’ defense, specifically on the exact play they ran.

”oh but he would have been a decoy.” No one in that stadium would have believed he was actually going to get the ball, especially Gene Chizik. With Bush in the game, Chizik makes the same defensive call and no player would have been given a special instruction. USC never had a package with both of them in the game (it was always one or the other), never had any plays with that and certainly never tried it in that game specifically.

Pete Carroll absolutely made the right call, Texas’ defense just rose to the occasion.

This.  Lendale White was crushing us all night.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

I was at both games that year.  OSU fans were way, way worse.

Have a lot of college friends that are SC fans. They can be cocky and a little irritating. Probably not any more so than a lot of Texas fans. 

People from California are just in general much more palatable than folks from Ohio. Sure they have their quirks but most of them aren't raging assholes that have a myopic world view. 

Edited by ztejas

On 8/30/2021 at 9:27 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Eww…Greg Davis

Greg Davis is:

•a very good QBs coach 

•an above average offensive coordinator 

•an infuriatingly vanilla, and predictable, and at times incompetent play caller

•someone who wasted more top flight talent than most coaches ever see in a lifetime 

•responsible for taking years off the lives of countless Texas football fans during his time in Austin

Not gonna lie...the whole last episode had me teary eyed. Just the emotion of Vince losing and being so angry that nothing was going to stop him. That kind of emotion is what makes greatness happen and its so tangible. I remember my emotions in that game as well and how great it was to win.

/csb coming up... Before the national championship game, sometime near the end of December, my family went to the mall to get a picture with Santa. You know, it's one of those things families do. Well the kicker, is that we lived in Oklahoma City at the time, and we all wore Texas burnt orange shirts for the picture. I can't tell you how many people were disgusted by us and how ragged on we got. Even the Santa said as we left, "good luck, but you're about to get your asses beat". The collective chip on our shoulders at Texas fans that year can't be denied. And I thank god Vince Young was a longhorn and brought us all together for that win.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Greg Davis is:

•a very good QBs coach 

•an above average offensive coordinator 

•an infuriatingly vanilla, and predictable, and at times incompetent play caller

•someone who wasted more top flight talent than most coaches ever see in a lifetime 

•responsible for taking years off the lives of countless Texas football fans during his time in Austin

Yep.  He was lucky to have Vince and then Colt to bail his ass out of his stupidly.  

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.  He was lucky to have Vince and then Colt to bail his ass out of his stupidly.  

re: the KU game that year, i'm pretty sure we on like 60-3 for something, and that looming at the box score shows just an absolute ass whooping from Texas. but you know what i remember the most about that game? our first play from scrimmage was that ubiquitous GDGD, "let's get the QB going by throwing sideways and getting a couple of easy completions". the KU DB jumped the route and had an unabated TD in front of him, but he ducked up the INT and dropped the ball. that's GDGD in a nut shell- he has VY, Jamaal, Selvin, RT, David Thomas, Limas Sweed, and three future NFL O linemen,  it he's so predictable, and so conservative, and so repetitive that even shitty-ass KU knows exactly what's coming.

lol oh yeah- same as when Garrett Gilbert opened the OU game by completing two straight passes, only to find himself facing a 3rd and 14. 😂 GDGD called two of those idiotic sideways/backwards "confidence building" passes to open the game and OU jumped all over it and blew up each reception for a two yard loss. give Urban our rosters from 2000-2011 and we have 3-4 national titles and 5+ league titles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

re: the KU game that year, i'm pretty sure we on like 60-3 for something, and that looming at the box score shows just an absolute ass whooping from Texas. but you know what i remember the most about that game? our first play from scrimmage was that ubiquitous GDGD, "let's get the QB going by throwing sideways and getting a couple of easy completions". the KU DB jumped the route and had an unabated TD in front of him, but he ducked up the INT and dropped the ball. that's GDGD in a nut shell- he has VY, Jamaal, Selvin, RT, David Thomas, Limas Sweed, and three future NFL O linemen,  it he's so predictable, and so conservative, and so repetitive that even shitty-ass KU knows exactly what's coming.

lol oh yeah- same as when Garrett Gilbert opened the OU game by completing two straight passes, only to find himself facing a 3rd and 14. 😂 GDGD called two of those idiotic sideways/backwards "confidence building" passes to open the game and OU jumped all over it and blew up each reception for a two yard loss. give Urban our rosters from 2000-2011 and we have 3-4 national titles and 5+ league titles. 

As much as we knew at the time that Mack, et al watched message boards, I got to the point where I was certain that this early game play calling was an intentional middle finger to the fan base.

2 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

maybe it was the greatest game ever, but I still have a soft spot for that 1969 Arky game with everything on the line....hell, even the president was there to give the winner a Natty trophy. Street to Peschel in the most daring play ever called by a Texas Coach...

Username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, WBT said:

I was at both games that year.  OSU fans were way, way worse.

Same. OSU are by far the most hostile away fans I've experienced. USC fans were cocky as hell but not complete assholes.

Post Justin Tucker kick, aggy fans were pretty salty and you get some shit talk most places but tOSU fans were trash.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

ND fans are special and extrordinarily consistent....Anytime you are scheduled to play you they come on your forumsand say they want to talk football. Then they tell you all about their team. If you say anything about your team they ignore it. Over and over they give you all the reasons they will win. .....Then when you whip their ass they disappear like smoke, never to be heard from again....

On 9/3/2021 at 11:51 AM, Pimphand said:

Also let's be clear 2005 USC fan was annoying as fuck but by 2017 they were milquetoast.

That's because most of them were just run of the mill LA sports frontrunning fans. When they have a good team, that team is the best thing evarrr. But when they aren't great, those fuckers jump off the bandwagon quicker than they jumped onto it.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Yeah, the fact that Mack was a HC for 22 years before winning a conference championship speaks volumes. And he had to have The Fucking GOAT at QB to do that, and even then only did it after VY convinced Mack to let VY play to his strengths. 

46 minutes ago, wood said:

That's because most of them were just run of the mill LA sports frontrunning fans. When they have a good team, that team is the best thing evarrr. But when they aren't great, those fuckers jump off the bandwagon quicker than they jumped onto it.

I agree to an extent but they were ranked #4 in the country so it wasn't like they were total dogshit.

8 hours ago, Pimphand said:

I agree to an extent but they were ranked #4 in the country so it wasn't like they were total dogshit.

I'm not saying they were dogshit. Texas and USC were head & shoulders above everyone else in 2005. I'm talking about their arrogance, saying repeatedly that the game would be a blowout, they'd eat VY up, etc. They literally could not discuss it objectively in any way. Then when they got beat, they disappeared just as quickly as they showed up.

• 2 months later...