Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Wrong. Any coach with a pulse knows they could do better than 4-8 in year 1. 

yep. This isn't a situation where we are firing a year 1 coach who beat kansas and got us to a bowl game. In year one, at bare minimum, you beat Kansas and find 6 wins at Texas. Unless we upset KSU and WVU, Sark failed to do both

Edited by perfectchaos007

Just now, BurntOrangeFedora said:

I saw this on Twitter, is this bullshit or the truth? 

"Texas didn't fire Tom Herman for on-field results. Texas fired fired Tom Herman because the boosters were mad at him for saying maybe the Eyes of Texas lyrics should be updated to remove the racism." 

Read the clause before the comma in your question and you have your answer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeFedora said:

"Texas didn't fire Tom Herman for on-field results. Texas fired fired Tom Herman because the boosters were mad at him for saying maybe the Eyes of Texas lyrics should be updated to remove the racism." 

twitter bullshit

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeFedora said:

Why not both?

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Show your work or fuck off.

I mean it's common sense. Why would a coach on the way up take this job where they didn't even give a guy more than 12 months to turn around a bad culture and losing program? What message does that say to the soft ass spoiled players that they can stick around and suck and it just gets the coaches fired? No coach worth a shit would want to risk ruining their reputation here. 

We'd be choosing between no names and has beens who just want to cash in big one last time before riding off into the sunset. 

1 minute ago, Sejjr said:

I'm getting tired of seeing this "Seven Win Steve" bullshit. Seven wins at this point would be a fucking miracle. And is also impossible.

More like Seven Loss Steve this year. 

He won't be fired. There's too much money tied up in him and his staff. It's not realistic no matter how much of hissy fit people have on here. No one is fired in their first year without cause. Someone will fall on their sword, just not sure who yet. PK needs to go. It's not just his players. Kansas made you look like a JV defense. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dude. You have already made an ass of yourself tonight. I was in the rose bowl in 2010. Don’t get to school me.

Did you play in the rose bowl in 2010 or did you just attend the game?  If you played, than all respect.  If you just went to the game......well guess what?  I went to the vs Michigan and vs USC Rose Bowls and you don’t get to school shit!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

I am just so fucking mad. This team has been absolute fucking rank now for 11 fucking years. How do you do that? The fuck am I spending this fucking money for. Goddamit. I would get ass mack years as a student. Followed by Strong. Followed by the every so ass backwards glimmer of hope of Herman to complete and total dogshit. Then somehow bumble fuck our way to Seven Win Steve. WHO CANT EVEN CLAIM THAT SHIT ANYMORE! 

Goddamnit. Fuck Chris Del Conte and Texas. They don't deserve a fucking dime from me anymore. 

Man, I was this pissed after OU. I thought Sark was garbage and then Sark said “You thought that was garbage?!  Hold my beer!”

I’m pretty checked out right now.  I can’t waste my sanity by investing emotion in whether Texas wins or loses right now.  I’ll watch still but when Sark pisses away a lead again, I’ll just clean the garage. Sark is a fucking loser and until he’s gone I can’t be bothered. 

• Hook 'Em 1

First you call Paul Chryst, Matt Campbell, James Franklin, Kyle Whittingham, Luke Fickell, and PJ Fleck and express serious interest. If any one of them bite, you fire Sark and get the deal done before January.

I'm leaving Traylor off the list for now because anyone that hasn't either turned a major program around or had an unreasonable amount of success against stiff competition can gtfoh.

36 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Getting rid of them was the right thing to do. Getting rid of Sark is the right thing to do. What sucks is the economics of college football means you have to pay them for incompetence.

It’s not my money so I don’t give a shit.  I just want to see Texas win games.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t think it’ll happen but firing PK or anyone tonight wouldn’t be wrong.  It sends a message and There is nothing to lose.  Is there a chance in hell that we lose to WVU and look back and say “ we could have won if PK was coaching our defense?”  

You're right, there is nothing to lose.  At this point they have to make a big splash type change or recruiting will really suffer.  Muschamp might still have enough rep as a DC to be at least a splash type hire right now and stop a little bleeding..They need to show they are trying to address some of the problems immediately, if not tonight, then fhe firing needs to happen tomorrow..

Edited by Azbadlands

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Doesn't look like Urban Meyer is having much fun in Jacksonville. Lets offer him a job here...plenty of co-eds to grind on west 6th street

One of the only names I would even consider firing a coach after one year to hire, but if I was AD and he showed any reconsideration of returning to the college game I would pull the trigger in a second.  That list of coaches is short though

Just now, Lhorn said:

Man, I was this pissed after OU. I thought Sark was garbage and then Sark said “You thought that was garbage?!  Hold my beer!”

I’m pretty checked out right now.  I can’t waste my sanity by investing emotion in whether Texas wins or loses right now.  I’ll watch still but when Sark pisses away a lead again, I’ll just clean the garage. Sark is a fucking loser and until he’s gone I can’t be bothered. 

the funny thing is our BMD/AD/BoR can read fucking wikipedia.  good fucking luck with this loser.  he'll never be able to recruit here.   what a bunch of fucking morons that run our AD

Sark has shown he knows QBs and offense. If we show we're committed to him there's a chance he gets the offense fixed and brings in a legit QB who can lead, and we know that's the most important part of building a team. Then it's about getting this pathetic excuse for a defense turned around which will take longer but if we have a legit top dog QB talent and leader it's possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I understand why they wanted Sark from an offensive standpoint. The guy had the pedigree. What I don't get is why they thought he could build a culture of winning and hire a staff that could do better than Herman's? What exactly did they see that said he was a no-brainer hire. Sadly, Randolph Duke was right. Eltife needs to answer for this. This was his hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

First you call Paul Chryst, Matt Campbell, James Franklin, Kyle Whittingham, Luke Fickell, and PJ Fleck and express serious interest. If any one of them bite, you fire Sark and get the deal done before January.

I'm leaving Traylor off the list for now because anyone that hasn't either turned a major program around or had an unreasonable amount of success against stiff competition can gtfoh.

Who do we call after one of those guys doesn't win the 1st year?

• Hook 'Em 1

As my father once told me when I fucked up one time long ago:  "Son, I'm not even mad.  Just disappointed."

Those words hit me like a ton of bricks.  I vowed to learn from my failures and do better.

And those words now pretty much sum up how I feel about Sark and this entire clown show of a season at this point.  I'm not even mad anymore.  Just disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NashLonghorn said:

Oh the irony—-who would’ve thought at the beginning of the season that at this date Baylor is likely heading for the Big 12 Championship game and we are now looking at an 8 loss season.  Possibly losing 7 fucking games in a row.   KU was supposed to be the easy game. 

FUCK..

Aranda was 2-7 last year, stupid Baylor should have fired him

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I understand why they wanted Sark from an offensive standpoint. The guy had the pedigree. What I don't get is why they thought he could build a culture of winning and hire a staff that could do better than Herman's? What exactly did they see that said he was a no-brainer hire. Sadly, Randolph Duke was right. Eltife needs to answer for this. This was his hire. 

They didn’t think he was a no-brainer hire.  The No-brainer hire was Urban Meyer. They swung for the fences, went after Meyer hard, and missed.  Sark was the Plan B fall back option when the Urban pursuit failed.  Any talk otherwise was just that, talk trying to sell the fan base that Sark was something more than a fallback option

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

They didn’t think he was a no-brainer hire.  The No-brainer hire was Urban Meyer. They swung for the fences, went after Meyer hard, and missed.  Sark was the Plan B fall back option when the Urban pursuit failed.  Any talk otherwise was just that, talk trying to sell the fan base that Sark was something more than a fallback option

But why was he the only option? Unless I'm wrong, there was literally no other candidates interviewed or even considered. 

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

he's worse than Herman and on par with Charlie.   the stupid part is that this was already known but we can't even look at wikipedia.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he's worse than Herman and on par with Charlie.   the stupid part is that this was already known but we can't even look at wikipedia.

By going all-in on the pursuit of Meyer, you burned any and all bridges with Herman once knowledge of the pursuit became public.  When they missed on Urban, late in the annual post-regular season coaching carousel by the way, their options were limited in terms of a HR hire.  

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But why was he the only option? Unless I'm wrong, there was literally no other candidates interviewed or even considered. 

They messed up by leaking the pursuit of Urban to the public and that killed any chance of retaining Herman for another season once Urban said no. They got desperate and reached for Sark because of offense. Were any other coaches contacted? I'd love to know but I wouldn't be surprised if some agents were called and some "no's" were given by other coaches first. 

11 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Sark has shown he knows QBs and offense. If we show we're committed to him there's a chance he gets the offense fixed and brings in a legit QB who can lead, and we know that's the most important part of building a team. 

There WAS a chance, it was last offseason. Sark needed to identify the gaping holes on his team and use the portal and transfers to address them. He needed to tweak his schemes on offense to account for the holes and make sure his DC was flexible in doing the same. 

It's too late now. College sports are all about momentum, both games and recruiting. Losing 5 straight, including to Kansas slams that door shut.

What recruits, or transfers are going to want to come to a team that can't fucking beat Kansas at home? What coaches are going to want to join an obviously sinking ship?

We won't fire him until at least next year, but he's already dead and we'll fall even further behind waiting for the optics to improve. 

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

By going all-in on the pursuit of Meyer, you burned any and all bridges with Herman once knowledge of the pursuit became public.  When they missed on Urban, late in the annual post-regular season coaching carousel by the way, their options were limited in terms of a HR hire.  

Even more than burning a bridge with Herman was they killed any ability Herman had to recruit. Once it because public they were trying to replace him no top recruit in their right mind would sign up for a dead man walking. 

1 minute ago, Pods said:

There WAS a chance, it was last offseason. Sark needed to identify the gaping holes on his team and use the portal and transfers to address them. He needed to tweak his schemes on offense to account for the holes and make sure his DC was flexible in doing the same. 

It's too late now. College sports are all about momentum, both games and recruiting. Losing 5 straight, including to Kansas slams that door shut.

What recruits, or transfers are going to want to come to a team that can't fucking beat Kansas at home? What coaches are going to want to join an obviously sinking ship?

We won't fire him until at least next year, but he's already dead and we'll fall even further behind waiting for the optics to improve. 

Well just like a lot of successful people there's a chance Sark overrated what he had and his own skills. Now that he sees just how shit this program is the question is how does it change it this offseason? 

Just now, Hermanator said:

Even more than burning a bridge with Herman was they killed any ability Herman had to recruit. Once it because public they were trying to replace him no top recruit in their right mind would sign up for a dead man walking. 

You are correct, but that is also exactly the thing that happened to Sark tonight. He's a dead man walking and our recruiting, along with the ability to attract transfers and top coaching talent just evaporated. 

I have bad news for all of you that want Sark fired.

You are like the sailor crew of Cortez after the ships have been burned. It doesn't matter.

No great coach would take this job if the threat of being fired in year one with a shit roster existed.

No coach is great enough to turn this shit roster around in one year.

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?