Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Doesn't like football enough.

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So Dorbah was another terrible Herman evaluation...

From what I hear from a current UT student, the same is true about Tyler Johnson who is more focused on music than football.  

Maybe part of their evaluations should be like a note you pass a girl in middle school .  Except it says “do you like football?  [ ] yes. [ ] no 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

From what I hear from a current UT student, the same is true about Tyler Johnson who is more focused on music than football.  

In Herman's defense, how do you measure "love for the game" or commitment?

The HS players' coaches are all gonna pump sunshine up his ass. Video and recruiting services are what college coaches have to go on. Head coaches don't have enough time around players to know them personally before they're signed and on campus.

Fuck Brian Jones. I've been a fan since the day I arrived on a plane from the Orient. Rosie Leaks, Donnie Little, Herkie, Lam, Ham, Cade, Earl, Derrick, Shon, Priest, Keith and Kerry, Quan, Nathan, Ced?

Shall I fuckin keep going on? These guys were ballers for the fuckin University of Texas. Rosie and Earl were gods to me. Fuck this racist bullshit.

Brian Jones?....smh Fuck him and the OU dick he is sucking.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 11/19/2021 at 6:34 PM, DFW Horn said:

In Herman's defense, how do you measure "love for the game" or commitment?

The HS players' coaches are all gonna pump sunshine up his ass. Video and recruiting services are what college coaches have to go on. Head coaches don't have enough time around players to know them personally before they're signed and on campus.

From a Nick Saban article about recruiting:

"One of Saban’s key metrics for measuring mental toughness is how a player reacts after a bad play. Does he sulk enough to let it affect him on the next play or beyond? Or can he regain his focus and move on to the next play?"

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"One of Saban’s key metrics for measuring mental toughness is how a player reacts after a bad play. Does he sulk enough to let it affect him on the next play or beyond? Or can he regain his focus and move on to the next play?"

giphy.gif

Dorbah will be gone by Jan 1

What's the issue for Dorbah, and is it just a terrible eval by Herman's staff ?? 

Doesn't like football enough.

Add him to the list then.

But boy oh boy did those top 3 classes look good on signing day. Especially that 2019 one where 6 of our top 7 signees have transferred or medically retired.

lol y’all are really just gonna run with BO&W here huh?

Impossible that a guy that came out of HS at like 200 pounds and was playing inferior competition at Highland Park would need a couple of years to be a contributor at the college level. Not to mention he enrolled summer 2020 during a COVID restricted offseason and now has a new coordinator/position coach as a RS FR. LSU, Alabama, and Ohio State all offered, among others, but they know nothing about identifying talent on the defensive front.

Little early to write the guy off, but surly gonna surly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

lol y’all are really just gonna run with BO&W here huh?

Impossible that a guy that came out of HS at like 200 pounds and was playing inferior competition at Highland Park would need a couple of years to be a contributor at the college level. Not to mention he enrolled summer 2020 during a COVID restricted offseason and now has a new coordinator/position coach as a RS FR. LSU, Alabama, and Ohio State all offered, among others, but they know nothing about identifying talent on the defensive front.

Little early to write the guy off, but surly gonna surly.

You're stupid and should feel bad.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From a Nick Saban article about recruiting:

Agreed, but you're rarely going to see a HS player's reaction to bad plays on HUDL. You've still gotta take his HS coach's word on his "mental toughness".

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Agreed, but you're rarely going to see a HS player's reaction to bad plays on HUDL. You've still gotta take his HS coach's word on his "mental toughness".

I've been out of the loop the last few years but I remember having a user name and password to Hudl where if you were an opposing team that is where the full game tape would go for you to study. College coaches can get high school recruiting coordinators and head coaches to give them full game tapes. Highlights are great for getting the colleges attention but I'd assume if it was the old days they'd want to see full game tape as well.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, Codaxx said:

Band-Aid over there and expect it to be ‘look we’re 8-4, everything’s fine over here.’ Nope. It’s almost like a decayed tooth. You gotta really go to work on that thing.”

This tells everything I need to know about Sark. Like Charlie he is in over his head. He actually thought 8-4 is fine at Texas. He probably thought that because that is the record that got him a job at USC.

I'm not sure this is the right place to put this.

But, we've been hearing about problems with the "locker room culture" (as opposed to the entire culture of the University or Athletic Department), since Mack was canned.  "Don't know how to win," etc.  And we've been mumbling about "rebuilding" for all that time.

Yet, for the most part, not much changes.  We keep patching holes and putting together "highly ranked" (kind of) recruiting classes that may or may not solve any problems or really fill in the holes in the roster.  Plus, even if the class is ideal, it's only replacing a quarter of the roster or less, leaving this attitude-tainted roster some 75% intact, including especially upperclass "leadership."

We've been putting together entirely mediocre "winning" seasons with any number of WTF losses, but maybe a bowl game win to keep things in their current sort of steady-shitty-state.

I can't help but wonder if a complete shitshow of a season like this may be exactly what we need to rip the bandaid off and strip it to the studs.

Can't say I'm sure Sark is the guy we want presiding over the rebuild, but maybe he can pull it off.  I keep having this nagging feeling that this roster is so shitty from an attitude standpoint that Sarkisian has kind of given up on trying to exhort them to a barely winning record and bowl eligibility.  That is, any coach would have "lost" this team, but maybe would have raged and howled and "motivated" the team into another victory or two so that this status quo of mediocrity could be maintained, intentionally or otherwise.

So, you may reply "but we want a motivator like that."  Well, what if we don't?  What if the ability to motivate a team for a game or two is fool's gold?  Like Herman, who seemed to be able to motivate for certain games, but not consistently.

Some of this comes back to my understanding of Sarkisian's likely recovery mindset of "I can't make these guys do what they aren't inclined to do and I'm not going to kill myself trying to do that."  Same could be true of the defensive staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Senior Day Participants per Joe Cook:

1637598762869.png

SENIORS NOT LISTED: DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison, Anthony Cook, Montrell Estell

JUNIORS LISTED: Ayodele Adeoye, Ryan Bujcevski, Keondre Coburn, Rafiti Ghirmai, Al'vonte Woodard.

Wells says that DMO is awaiting his draft position feedback before making a decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But, we've been hearing about problems with the "locker room culture" (as opposed to the entire culture of the University or Athletic Department), since Mack was canned.  "Don't know how to win," etc.  And we've been mumbling about "rebuilding" for all that time.

Yet, for the most part, not much changes.  We keep patching holes and putting together "highly ranked" (kind of) recruiting classes that may or may not solve any problems or really fill in the holes in the roster.  Plus, even if the class is ideal, it's only replacing a quarter of the roster or less, leaving this attitude-tainted roster some 75% intact, including especially upperclass "leadership."

We've been putting together entirely mediocre "winning" seasons with any number of WTF losses, but maybe a bowl game win to keep things in their current sort of steady-shitty-state.

I can't help but wonder if a complete shitshow of a season like this may be exactly what we need to rip the bandaid off and strip it to the studs.

I thought that was what the Charlie Strong Experience was supposed to be. Some people at the University of Texas are really shitty at doing their jobs.

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I thought that was what the Charlie Strong Experience was supposed to be. Some people at the University of Texas are really shitty at doing their jobs.

Well, like I said, we've been hearing variations of "rebuild" and "bad locker room culture" for like eight years now.  Strong booted a handful of players that apparently were dopers or criminals or both, but again, it didn't effect a major change to the roster.

Between the attrition to the 2018 and 2019 classes and what seems to need to happen this offseason via the portal, we seem poised to have a pretty significant roster turnover.  And it may be less important that the roster be filled with 4 and 5 stars so much as it's just turned the fuck over.

In other words, our "rebuilds" have been happening at about 20-25% of the roster per year.  Which is not much of a rebuild, really.  It's pretty standard.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, like I said, we've been hearing variations of "rebuild" and "bad locker room culture" for like eight years now.  Strong booted a handful of players that apparently were dopers or criminals or both, but again, it didn't effect a major change to the roster.

Between the attrition to the 2018 and 2019 classes and what seems to need to happen this offseason via the portal, we seem poised to have a pretty significant roster turnover.

So when this "down-to-the-studs rebuild" happens, do we win a negative number of games?

Is zero wins a reasonable expectation at the University of Texas? Maybe we should just lower our budget to $2MM a year and stop going through the motions. This is absurd.

Edited by Tex Pete

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

So when this "down-to-the-studs rebuild" happens, do we win a negative number of games?

Is zero wins a reasonable expectation at the University of Texas? Maybe we should just lower our budget to $2MM a year and stop going through the motions. This is absurd.

Will never happen until we move to SEC and get near vandy levels and aggie continually kicks our ass for the first 3-4 years.....it's a systemic rebuild that needs to happen. 

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Who knows what the fuck happens.  But at least it may be different from the rinse and repeat of the last eight years.

In looking at other coaches records during the carousel this year, I have noticed that a lot of teams/coaches have a real "rock bottom" season (not just a (n-1)-n season) before things actually turn around.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

But, we've been hearing about problems with the "locker room culture" since Mack was canned.  I can't help but wonder if a complete shitshow of a season like this may be exactly what we need to rip the bandaid off and strip it to the studs.

Can't say I'm sure Sark is the guy we want presiding over the rebuild, but maybe he can pull it off.  I keep having this nagging feeling that this roster is so shitty from an attitude standpoint that Sarkisian has kind of given up on trying to exhort them to a barely winning record and bowl eligibility.  That is, any coach would have "lost" this team, but maybe would have raged and howled and "motivated" the team into another victory or two so that this status quo of mediocrity could be maintained, intentionally or otherwise.

So, you may reply "but we want a motivator like that."  Well, what if we don't?  What if the ability to motivate a team for a game or two is fool's gold?  Like Herman, who seemed to be able to motivate for certain games, but not consistently.

Some of this comes back to my understanding of Sarkisian's likely recovery mindset of "I can't make these guys do what they aren't inclined to do and I'm not going to kill myself trying to do that."  Same could be true of the defensive staff.

Yeah last week even before the Brian Jones radio comments...

Joel Klatt said that SARK has to "tear it down to the studs"

Go to the 6 minute mark...

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1637598762869.png

SENIORS NOT LISTED: DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison, Anthony Cook, Montrell Estell

JUNIORS LISTED: Ayodele Adeoye, Ryan Bujcevski, Keondre Coburn, Rafiti Ghirmai, Al'vonte Woodard.

Wells says that DMO is awaiting his draft position feedback before making a decision.

So Coburn is gone?

And why would anyone on the team/ staff want a bowl game when everyone is looking towards next season with a complete makeover? 

On Coburn, that tells me he's probably one of the malcontents that Bo and others on the staff want gone. Guy's been a non factor at best and stealing reps from Sweat at worst. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

And why would anyone on the team/ staff want a bowl game when everyone is looking towards next season with a complete makeover? 

On Coburn, that tells me he's probably one of the malcontents that Bo and others on the staff want gone. Guy's been a non factor at best and stealing reps from Sweat at worst. 

Coburn was actually one of the guys showing a bit of emotion to the refs when WVU was clowning us.

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Coburn was actually one of the guys showing a bit of emotion to the refs when WVU was clowning us.

Maybe he is also pissed that the coaches aren't working the officials.

Of course Sarkisian can't work the officials when the defense is on the field because he isn't watching the game then.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1637598762869.png

Montrell.. Bro.. 

Jamison and DMO coming back could be good, Cook has played much improved this season, but I think Sarkisian needs to go over to Estell and say "Hey man, you left your roses in the locker room. Here, I brought them for you."

Coburn is lazy as shit and also sucks. He needs to be one of the first ones to go. If the staff is basically telling him to leave that’s a good sign that they’ve spotted the weak links and aren’t just holding on to dead weight because they’ve been here for a couple years already.